ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Injured?
Yes, transported by emergency personnel and I'll never be 100% again 37 16.09%
Yes, ended up going to the hospital after getting home, it was pretty serious, but I'm fine now 86 37.39%
Bumps, cuts, bruises, but nothing that required professional attention. 84 36.52%
Nope, never been hurt....knock on wood. 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,301
Have you been injured riding a motorcycle (or not injured)?

Being new to motorcycles, everyone I know is telling my I have a death wish. I took the safety course, I ride defensively on-road, and cautiously off-road. I wear all the gear all the time. I don't drink and ride, I keep my bike maintained fairly well, etc. etc. etc.

BUT, I've seen a lot of very experienced people get seriously injured this year, and now I'm seeing stories about people getting seriously injured, arriving home on their motorcycle with no recollection of how they got there, laying in a ditch overnight because they were pinned under their bike, broken legs, etc.

So, how many of you have have been injured, and how many have never been inured? If you have been injured, let's hear your story. If not, maybe some tips on how you've avoided it.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 08:39 PM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
3 serious accidents in 30+yrs of riding requiring ambulance transport.......

2 minor ones resulting in small "hurts"

and lots of small offs with no damage....
griffo1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
ts3doug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
2 wrecks, 1 a hit and run. The other my fault, hungover, late for work and going way too fast. That one resulted in a tib/fib break and stitches in my pecker.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
ts3doug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,720
One dislocated shoulder, fractured humerus, partially torn labrum, and partially torn rotator cuff thanks to not wearing the best gear and grabbing too much front brake. Healed, bought better gear and don't grab too much front brake any more.

One torn rotator cuff requiring surgery about 7 weeks ago. Expect to make a full recovery in time for riding season in April. Cause was a combo of old injuries from riding horses and getting bucked off, a biff on Webster Pass, and moving from one house to another. Full thickness tear that would never have healed on its own. Oh, and if you need your shoulder rebuilt and you're in Boulder, I highly recommend Dr. Joanne Halbrecht.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,277
Getting busted up is part of being a rider. Not a matter of if but when & how it is going to happen. Just try to do your part of the safety factor.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #6
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,963
Injury

Been riding motorcycles since 1969. Took a couple years off in the early 80s but thats it.
Bad accident back in 05. Numerous hard wear surgeries and will never be back to normal.
Most of my accidents are the result of others not paying attention and running into me.
The last three bad ones were just that. I am a firm believer in under insured/no insurance policies.
28 broken bones, more metal than a .357 and I will never quit riding till the day I die.
Actually I would prefer to go out riding, if I had my druthers.
Minimise your risks as you see fit, and the rest is out of your hands.
It is a balance of risk verses reward, only you can say what is right for you.
Beats sitting around waiting to kick the bucket. See you'all out on the trails.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*

Assfault screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 09:19 PM
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,688
35 years of riding and racing, and I never had to take an ambulance ride (knock on wood).
worst thing to date was a broken hand/finger that had to be reconstructed. I was able to finish the race it happened in, but after the race I went to the doc and after 3 surgeries I was out for almost 3 months. finger works good as new again.
the possibility of getting hurt is always there, but use your head, wear the right gear, and if you are riding on the street, be a paranoid Mo-Fo looking out for the cages.

YMMV
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
OneEffinName
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
The problem with this thread is that you will get only negative responses. You wont have much idea of how many have riden without injury, Perhaps you should ask: how many accident free years of riding do you have? Or how many accident free miles have you riden in your life?

As for me, in 30 yrs of street riding I have had 1 accident that required an ambulance. In 2 years of dirt riding (400+ hours) just a bunch of bumps and scrapes (old guy trying to be young and race!)
OneEffinName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
flyinghorse
Thank you Herbert Spencer

Oddometer: 1,172
One major accident age 16 unrecoverable tank slappers caused by abysmal road surface (8" tall frost heaved stones below the tarmac) like off-roading on tarmac. My error was failure to get clear of the bike. It landed on me and took me for a drag. Skin grafts, broken bones in the foot, elbow, & hand. Foot has never been the same but after a summer in a wheelchair and bed, I'm just grateful I can walk even if it is in unintentional circles. Won't make that mistake again, get the hell away from the bike if things are going very wrong.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEffinName View Post
The problem with this thread is that you will get only negative responses.
Truth! Also, spending time in the Face Plant forum can also stir the thoughts that triggered this thread.

As for me, 3 broken ribs and a boxer's fracture on my hand. Didn't go to the hospital for the ribs, I knew they were broken and knew they couldn't do anything about it. Found out for sure 5 years later when I went to the hospital for something else and the doc said things weren't connected(I'm pretty sure he meant my ribs) . Did go to the hospital for the hand about 5 days after the fact and was then in a cast for 6 weeks. All in the dirt, never been down on the street, knock on some wood....
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,141
I started riding street at 16, and no injuries from that. I have been dirt biking 7 years or so, more avidly in recent years. I have been lucky that except for a few busted ribs here and there and one broken wrist, everything has been minor cuts/scrapes/burns/sprains, etc and nothing required hospital visits. Snowboarding/skateboarding/rugby on the other hand, I have had some good ones. Comparatively, riding is pretty safe in my opinion!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #12
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,094
Done some seriously stupid stuff...but never stupider than passing on the right going through an intersection and clipping a car. Still recovering on some days feels like.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
PrairieRider
Gearing down for Hell

Oddometer: 3,874
In my first four years of riding (2008-2012):

• Broken foot and arm (in one fell swoop) and permanent peg imprint in one chin
  • Broken or badly bruised ribs from running into the side panel of a car who's driver took a U-turn directly in front of me.
  • Two Bakers cysts, one on/in each knee (damage to the meniscus of the knee causing a pouch that holds fluid) requiring injections of either cortisone or euflexxa (sp?)
  • Broken foot (the other one) with moderate to severe damage to the Lisfranc joint requiring 3-4 months in a boot and several more months of using a tape brace during the day for a damaged ligament and a different kind of brace at night. Am left with a permanent but not serious hammer toe
  • 28 stitches in my neck from riding through barbed wire. The scar is kinda ugly so getting laser treatment to reduce the redness and raised appearance.
All of these happened riding dirt except for the rib incident. Sometimes I'm surprised that I still ride though admittedly I've become a bit more nervous about it.

You need another category in your poll...something along the lines of moderately serious but won't ever be quite the same.

I don't know anyone who rides who hasn't been injured and the folks I know who rode seriously for many years have had some pretty major incidents.
1994 Beta Techno 250

Striving to do better.
PrairieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 AM   #14
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 3,999
37 years of riding.

Never have seen a doctor for a moto related accident. (knock on wood)

Not that I don't do stupid things.

I saw a doc for a 2 mph fall skiing,

Dislocated my shoulder body surfing in 10 to 12 foot waves,

and saw one for a 20 ft fall to the ground climbing.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #15
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,858
Riding every year since 1968... usual dirt tumbles, but only one street accident.

May 22, 2004
Riding solo on a usual canyon loop - up Golden Gate, down Wondervu. I was almost to the RR trestle coming out of Wondervu - a mile from being done with the curves...
Wearing full Alpinestars racing leathers and Arai RX7-RR4 helmet.
Typically did not ride fast in there, I rode "the pace".

I still have zero recollection of the entire day, but a buddy went up and took pictures of where it happened and where he recovered my bike.
Some loose crumbly pavement on a right hand tight corner - both wheels broke loose and left short skid marks where the bike slid across the other lane and into a pullout on the other side of the road.

Large rocks placed to keep cars from pulling into the creek - my R1100S Boxer Cup slid into one of those large rocks - cracked the cases emptying oil into the gravel.
I must have gone over the bars, the back of my Arai was split.

Someone must have seen it or happened onto the scene within seconds - I was told by the doctors I was unconscious for an hour but at St. Anthony Trauma 1 within 45 minutes.

Spent a week at St. Anthony with a compression fracture of T12, the one just below the rib cage package that takes the brunt of these kinds of impacts.
Also a "moderate to severe" brain trauma. To me it was a bad memory for a few weeks
Had blood clots in both arms, was put on Warfarin briefly until one doc said 'wtf, get him off this' and that was that.

I spent a month at Craig Rehab, had fluid pockets on the frontal lobes of the brain - first it was blood, then brain fluid. Took four months to get a clean cat scan and be able to go back to work and get the okie dokie to ride again.
Had to take a driving test to get my license back.

The back was immobilized from twisting by wearing a Jewett brace for those months.

Everything healed up fine, though I think arthritis has set in my back and keeps me from being as active and exercising as much as I used to.
I can still ride offroad as hard and fast as I used to, recovery time is longer.

Before I was ok'd to ride, but was able to drive....I took the insurance check and drove to Columbia, MO and picked up a new CBR1000RR.
I wasn't sure about the back injury and if I should ride offroad - so I sold my KTM to pfb.
Once I was healed up and feeling good about the back being ok, I bought another dirtbike.

Some folks thought I'd give up riding, but that's been part of me since I was 12, and I never once considered not riding. Nothing really scared me about the accident - I was just wanting to get healed and back 'out there' and have life be normal again.....couldn't wait to get the clean bill of health and start riding again.

There was never any police/sheriff record of the accident - I was never cited.

Since then I've probably averaged 25,000 - 30,000 street miles a year, and as much offroad as I can fit in my schedule.

It was a great bike, one of my all-time favorites. I had bought it a year and two days before the accident. On the one year date, I had put 27,000 miles on it. Two days later at 27,120 it was totalled.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote