ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Injured?
Yes, transported by emergency personnel and I'll never be 100% again 37 16.09%
Yes, ended up going to the hospital after getting home, it was pretty serious, but I'm fine now 86 37.39%
Bumps, cuts, bruises, but nothing that required professional attention. 84 36.52%
Nope, never been hurt....knock on wood. 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #16
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,964
In 42 years of riding and I'm not sure how many miles at this point...

One bad wreck as a young man on a dirt bike when the top of a berm I was taking at a high rate of speed collapsed, sending me and the bike inverted into the trees.

Never on the road. The Marine Corps insisted you take a lengthy defensive riding course (back in the day) before you could register your bike on base. The Gunny used to bellow about "Them roads bein' full o' mass murderers all gunning fer you!" The situational awareness he instilled in me back in '78 stays with me to this day. I will admit to having to take evasive action on occasion, but have never been in a situation that I couldn't anticipate and avoid. Knock on wood.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #17
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,913
No comment
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #18
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
YES more then I care to count!!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #19
kbob999
Red Rider

Oddometer: 131
my list...

40 years of riding, with about 10 years off, enduro and MX early on, now just trail and pass riding with 1% street.
  • 101 bruises
  • Split chin open needing stiches
  • Broke collar bone that never healed back together
  • Last summer: Tibia Plateau fracture - 13 screws & 6" plate - may not be 100% after this one

Would I change a thing if I had a do over? Nope.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #20
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,009
Mostly trail riding now after about 5 years/60-70k miles of touring.

off road:
A couple butt/upper thigh bruises, pulled muscle in my back from a silly night ride crash.

On road: zip
Not too shabby considering I did t bone a big buck on my 1150 gs doing about 60 mph.

Its only a matter of time though........

I'm thinking Paula is "winning". You've had a rough run Paula, I hope you got all your moto related injuries outta the way!

enduro-ince screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 08:14 AM
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,264
My one and only on road crash was in Nashville while going around in heavy rain where the Interstate split and the left 3 of like 6 lanes went left towards downtown, the other 3 went around. Being rush hour int he morning I was in the middle lane that turned to the fast lane when a vehicle in front of me decided they really needed the left lane to go downtown but as it was backed up they just stopped. I was on the brakes but still tapped their bumper causing me to go down as I hit they must of gunned it and they took off. Me and the FZ1 slid down the road...I jumped up ASAP as I assumed the truck behind me was going to hit me but he was able to stop. Due to the rain no one got out to help me...boy is it hard to pickup a bike in the rain on a slick road. I banged up my knee and probably should of went to the doctor except I was in-between work so no insurance. I got the bike started and decided I probably should stop and I thus called my parents who I was visiting in TN and had them come get me...which this is back before we all had cellphones so once they left the house that was it for contact...took them a bit to find the station I was at (2 hours). I'm glad I did call them, as my knee was pretty bad and I was cold and once the adrenalin wore off I hurt. I stayed for another week, wife (then girlfriend) came down and got me and as we were going to FL anyways we headed there. I left the bike with my parents till I could get it at a later date. Bike fared better then I did, and my Yamaha frame sliders (Euro spec not sold int he USA for that bike) held up well and did what they were suppose to do.

As for off road, man you go down so often I don't even look at it as serious. I've had the front end wash out on Mt Herman Rd, on a corner I have taken a hundred times...it happens. I guess the worst downing was showing a new rider around and on 351 I think its called into Rainbow falls from Rampart Range...I was going a little faster then I should have been as I had not been down it for some time. I landed with the front wheel hitting a huge rock causing the front to twist and toss me off. A rock punched a hole through the the clutch cover (I rode it out to 67 and bro went and got his truck). My hand had pain for 6-8 months but is now healed up...once again I should of went to the doctor but I knew they just say take it easy and no riding...nah not going to happen so I toughed the pain out and I rode....LOL
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
Done some seriously stupid stuff...but never stupider than passing on the right going through an intersection and clipping a car. Still recovering on some days feels like.
Yeah I too have done some really stupid riding. If anyone knows Ghost Rider...well I been there and done that shit in rush hour...I probably should be dead to tell you the truth. To be 24 again.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #23
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,046
To Paula's point, none of the riders whom I know and admire for their skill on dirt have been uninjured. You have to love doing this to keep getting back on the bike. I have two knees that structurally aren't angled correctly. I was born this way. I'm going to have two Fulkerson Procedures, which look a lot like a tibial osteotomy, to fix them. The timing is being done so that I can ride from April - October. Procedure 1. Heal for six months. Ride April - October. Procedure 2. I can't envision doing them back-to-back, anyway. It's just too much fun to give up.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #24
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,617
Three pavement crashes where I was hit by a car. Two resulted in just skint hide, and one yielded a concussion even with a top drawer helmet. The concussion one totaled a fully dressed Gold Wing with only 800 miles on it. None of them required an ambulance or trip to the hospital.

On the dirt, that's another story. I've hit the ground so many times there's no way I can even hazzard a guess. The only serious dirt crash involved a busted ACL during an enduro competition...well...not even a crash as the bike didn't hit the ground...because I saved it by sacrificing my knee...not smart. I agree with someone who suggested the category of no hospital trips but had decently serious injuries.

I think it's the pavement that's more likely to kill you. The dirt just buggers you up a bit.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #25
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,435
In 1977 riding a Kawasaki H3(i was 17) a lady pulled out from a stop sign and T-boned me ,broke my leg,made out though with the ins. money to fix the bike got Bill Wirges expansion chambers and other performance upgrades,Man i loved that bike! And once while in the middle of a turn hit gravel and laid it down_(Honda V35 Magna) and slid into guardrails hitting a guardrail post with the back wheel,compessing my spine. All my other accidents were my fault while riding dirt bikes.

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,602
Nothing but Boo Boos on a motorcycle, now on a bicycle is a different story. The orthopedic surgeon and I are on a first name basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post

Its only a matter of time though........
Yup.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #27
lkr57
scooter trash

Oddometer: 199
All of my bad crashes have been in the dirt. I've gone down a few times on the street but was always able to ride away before the police arrived!

I've never had an ambulance ride but have broken bones and have been under the knife three times for knee injuries. Like TNC, I blew out an ACL during an enduro but didn't crash. I didn't crash, kept going, finished the event, and won my class! I was pretty proud of that trophy!

The other knee injury was from a bad landing in a motocross race. I put my foot down without thinking about it (a bad habit I have) and hyperextended my knee. I felt the ACL pop that time. Tore the meniscus up pretty good too. I now know a lot more about knee anatomy than I want to.

I've also broken both collarbones and various other minor bones like ribs. One collarbone has a permanent z bend. Back then they didn't do surgeries to screw the pieces back together. That still aches some times. I can tell whenever a storm is coming in. I never got full range of motion back in my knees either, in spite of a third surgery to clean out scar tissue, but they are functional. Will never be "100 percent" though.

After the knee injuries I quit racing and quit dirt riding completely for many years. I got the itch again though and have three vintage dirt bikes now in addition to my street bikes. Kind of worried about screwing up my knees again though. If I keep on dirt riding I'm definitely getting knee braces.

Like Blake, I've been riding since I was 12, over 40 years now. I guess it's in my blood. No plans to quit although at my age I'm probably only one bad crash away from being forced to quit. Until then, I ride...

Debby, not your average soccer mom!
plus a few more...
lkr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,830
Nothing more than bumps and bruises and have been riding since 1990.

But life is dangerous - if you're enjoying it. How about injuries due to cars, bicycles, skateboards, skiing, hiking, walking, shoveling, football, baseball, basketball, golf, drinking, swimming, breathing, etc? I'd prefer to be injured doing something fun than from getting fat sitting on the couch watching TV.

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Diesel RV build

Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #29
TheDudeAbides
Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer: 7,884
I fall down sometimes on dirt.

I get hurt a little. I've broken the thumb on the right hand twice, and a couple other knuckes on the right hand once.

2001 BMW F650 GS Dakar (Stolen!)
2004 DRZE
2004 BMW 1150 GSA
TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
Genehil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Back in the early 70's when I was the typical YOLO idiot I ended up in two major incidents of my own making that required hospitalization. Since I wised up and morphed into a responsible adult I've been crash and rash free.
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Genehil is offline   Reply With Quote