ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Injured?
Yes, transported by emergency personnel and I'll never be 100% again 37 16.09%
Yes, ended up going to the hospital after getting home, it was pretty serious, but I'm fine now 86 37.39%
Bumps, cuts, bruises, but nothing that required professional attention. 84 36.52%
Nope, never been hurt....knock on wood. 23 10.00%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #61
rwhittak3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
There isn't an option for me! I was transported to the hospital by emergency personnel, but I will be 100% again. Last February, I had a close encounter with a deer. Broke my collarbone and separated a couple of ribs. I have a rod in my collarbone now, and its fully healed.
rwhittak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #62
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanb777 View Post
Check out the "Hurt Report" some really good stuff there. I thought the part about dirt riding skills to be especially interesting. Basically, dirt riders are involved in dramatically fewer accidents on the street.
Interesting data. Thanks!

http://www.clarity.net/adam/hurt-report.html
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #63
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,001
Mountain doesn't count. He will throw off the curve.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #64
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo82 View Post
_CJ, I'm curious - what thoughts prompted you to ask folks about their injuries? I'm not meaning to challenge your curiousity, or to rain on the idea of asking - but you (perhaps) sound like you're not sure that your new riding experiences should be embraced or feared. Am I wrong? I've skimmed most of this thread, and think its great that everyone is answering so honestly.
My question is based mostly in curiosity. 99% of the people I know don't ride, and I'm kind of a numbers and statistics geek, so seeing some local data is just kind of fun. I also thought there would be some good info shared that would help everyone avoid getting hurt in the future.

There's no question that I'm embracing this new activity vs. fearing it, and I'm definitely hooked after one full season. The truth is, 98% of the people here could have said they had life altering accidents, and I'd still keep riding. The funny thing is, I consider motorcycle riding to be one of the safer activities I've gotten involved with....and without question, the best group of people associated with any of those "risky" activities.

MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #65
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Lets see, started riding when I was 11 in 1970. Started racing at age 15. Also started legally riding on the street at that age, but had been on the street since 11. My first stitches were from a trampoline in high school. In 1978, 38 stitches from a roll over accident with a pickup truck. Still no injuries from a bike. Broken bones in 1979 when a car turned left in front of me on my RD 350. First day of road racing in 1980 I glanced off the turn 4 wall at PIR at around 80 MPH and sprained an ankle. Lost some skin off the palms of both hands in 1986 from a low side on some slick stuff in the road. Wasn't wearing gloves. Always have since. And that's been it other than bumps and bruises from dirt bikes. This is all qualified with the fact I have ridden about 90% of the days since 1970 and I still compete at observed trials and still practice motocross on occasion and still ride single track regularly and I commute every day, rain or shine on a motorcycle. So while I haven't avoided injury, I'd say its been fairly uneventful other than the street accident at age 19 with the left turner. A 45 to 50 MPH broadside with a car will win an ambulance ride, two surgeries and time off work.

Chuck
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #66
Proud Highway
one hand waving free

Oddometer: 86
I wasn't technically "riding."

I skinned a deep 2" x 12" section of skin off my right shin after my foot slipped off the kick starter. I was wearing sneakers and was only starting the bike because I had finished washing it in the garage and wanted to let it idle so that it could burn off the water.

I've been incredibly lucky.

Proud Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #67
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned

Oddometer: 372
When riding out in the real-world, your most reasonable chance at survival is the vigilant and consistent application of sound and safe riding principles best represented and propagated by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and as taught in the MSF courses many of us have been through in order to obtain a motorcycle endorsement on our license. But really, it's an attitude more than anything, one of no compromises and self-sustainability. The Pace discusses this sort of "method" of how to approach the unpredictable real-world street riding environment. Of course it also applies to offroad riding whether you're on single-track, fire-roads, or mountain passes unless they are on enclosed private property. Only race tracks and otherwise enclosed private property has the slightest resemblance to a "controlled environment" and unless you understand and accept this you will never be prepared mentally for what's out there. Reality is cold but survival is mostly a mind-game.

Look at the numbers of one-vehicle motorcycle accidents...most of them are people riding too fast for their experience level and the circumstances otherwise. Every summer, at least hundreds of mostly young to middle-aged men across the USA perish simply because they were going too fast into a corner...an uncontrollable, unpredictable aspect of the accident is not even involved (such as being cut off by a driver). This is evidence of a fatally flawed approach to riding, an attitude that doesn't take safety seriously and personally enough. In a way, only after you survive yourself do you stand the chance at surviving the onslaught of uncontrollable, external risks. Simply put, you're biggest danger is yourself. In this way, safety is a personal responsibility as well as a public duty.

Almost as important as your attitude and "method" of riding is becoming familiar and consistent with emergency maneuvers and techniques as well as the consistent application of ATGATT (which applies to both the standard protective gear as well as first aid, a tool kit, and spares). Seeing a theme here...? CONSISTENCY! Letting your guard down in any way is truly just a ripe opportunity to become injured and potentially die which could ironically be proceeded by potentially decades of safe riding. We all know it only takes ONE mistake to fade to black.

Stay safe out there!
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #68
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

Jeff, you got some skillz, you can ride with me any time
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #69
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Crashin

Sucks

Flipped a dirtbike on the street in front of the house when I was 15, I was just running it up the street to check it out after some work, no helmet, no protective gear. Road rash head to toe, new front teeth Very stupid move! (the bike was runnin good though )

Lots of bruses and scrapes during the racing days nothing serous. Last year I fell in the parking area headed back to the truck after a ride, broke my thumb. Other than that, nothing serious, I'm lucky, lots of stupid stuff in my earlier years.

I look at it this way, when it comes to the dirt, you're going to crash, if you don't you're not pushing the envelope and your skill level will stagnate (which is ok if that's what you want) Just don't be stupid, I've def been there! Wear the right gear and hope it's not serious when it does happen.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #70
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Not really as bad as I expected so far.
The dead ones don't post much.

Several ribs for me, collarbone, lots of bumps and bruises. Most parts of me still work OK.

I am much more afraid of dying of old age having not done everything than I am of getting hurt.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #71
Merfman
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 726
Never been hurt (knocking wood) on my street bike. Lots of ER trips during my racing years however.
Merfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 AM   #72
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Being new to motorcycles, everyone I know is telling my I have a death wish. I took the safety course, I ride defensively on-road, and cautiously off-road. I wear all the gear all the time. I don't drink and ride, I keep my bike maintained fairly well, etc. etc. etc.

BUT, I've seen a lot of very experienced people get seriously injured this year, and now I'm seeing stories about people getting seriously injured, arriving home on their motorcycle with no recollection of how they got there, laying in a ditch overnight because they were pinned under their bike, broken legs, etc.

So, how many of you have have been injured, and how many have never been inured? If you have been injured, let's hear your story. If not, maybe some tips on how you've avoided it.

If you want a gaurantee of safety.................best to stay home. And thats really no gaurantee.
Some close friends have been killed deader then dead on the road, but they were in cars.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #73
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfuture_yourdebt View Post
fade to black.
That pretty much covers that end of the spectrum.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #74
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Crashin

Sucks

Flipped a dirtbike on the street in front of the house when I was 15, I was just running it up the street to check it out after some work, no helmet, no protective gear. Road rash head to toe, new front teeth Very stupid move! (the bike was runnin good though )

Lots of bruses and scrapes during the racing days nothing serous. Last year I fell in the parking area headed back to the truck after a ride, broke my thumb. Other than that, nothing serious, I'm lucky, lots of stupid stuff in my earlier years.

I look at it this way, when it comes to the dirt, you're going to crash, if you don't you're not pushing the envelope and your skill level will stagnate (which is ok if that's what you want) Just don't be stupid, I've def been there! Wear the right gear and hope it's not serious when it does happen.
Chris, I was hoping Ev would chime in on this thread. I'd like to hear about his motorcycle crashes from back in the day when tires were made of wood, all roads were unpaved, and you constantly had to dodge wagons drawn by oxen.

TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #75
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Hit a steep hill going too quick with my weight way too far back. Caught some air and dropped the bike on my right leg without real riding boots on. My foot was fractured in a couple places, so we taped her up nice and tight and let it heal on its own. I went out and bought some real off road boots that same week.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote