Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #181
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Long day for sure, added to the special there is 291km connection before the stage and 40km after

edit: and Luis is in
150KTM
04:05:4002:25:58

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #182
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
I think Cyril's in the catbird seat right now.

All the "fast in a flash" guys are behind him now, all with him riding well within his comfort level. I think his nearest concern behind him is Chaleco, 7'30 in arrears already.

Pain and Casteu both seem pretty smooth at this point, but my guess is that Cyril feels he can haul them in at will if he elects to push. Let's hope David's luck holds, as it certainly has not over the years.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #183
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
a little perspective here:

dakar 2009
Aliens, 3rd Fretigne 1h39

dakar 2010
Alien, 2nd Pal 1h03

dakar 2011
Aliens, 3rd Helder 1h40

dakar 2012
Aliens, 3rd Helder 1h11

dakar 2013
5h stage
there are 24 riders within the hour at the moment

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #184
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
dakar com

With David Casteu winning the day's stage and Olivier Pain still on top of the general standings, the excellent health of the Yamaha YZF was confirmed today. However, Joan Barreda lost out big time, halted by fuel problems.

The first impressions have proved to be correct. For the last few weeks, the riders of the various versions of the Yamaha YZF have not stopped praising the progress made during the year that has passed. In the battle with KTM, Husqvarna and Honda, the blue bikes have quickly made their mark. To illustrate, Olivier Pain took control of the general standings yesterday, in front of his team-mate David Casteu. Might the two Frenchmen have taken advantage of the racing context to stage a hold-up on the race order? No way! This morning, the duo dealt with the situation with aplomb, opening the road almost right throughout a special stage that was quicker than the previous ones. The power of the Yamaha spoke volumes, to the benefit of David Casteu, who added a third stage victory on the Dakar to the ones he won in Nouakchott in 2006 and Cordoba in 2010.

Olivier Pain and David Casteu managed to hold off Cyril Despres, who could have taken advantage of his starting position to try and regain control of the rally today, but who did not achieve such a feat. What's more, the struggle for the title will probably no longer involve Joan Barreda, halted by fuel pump problems for a significant part of the day at the 98-km point. For the moment, a 100% French trio are dominating the rally, with 6 minutes separating the three riders. The match between the teams is up and running too, because behind the two Yamahas, the KTMs ridden by Despres and his water carrier Ruben Faria are awaiting an opportunity to spring an ambush, followed by the two Husqvaranas ridden by Jordi Viladoms and Alessandro Botturi, who will be taking up the baton from their unfortunate team leader, Barreda Bort.

In the quad race, Yamaha has dominated for the last several years. It was therefore natural that this machine was chosen by Marcos Patronelli, who has put in a flawless performance since the beginning of the second stage. The Argentinean, who won the rally in 2010, won a 4th consecutive special stage and opened up an even bigger gap on his rivals. Sebastian Husseini, who had managed to stay in contact until today, ground to a halt with mechanical problems and will lose several hours on Patronelli by the time he arrives in Arica. Now the closest pursuer to the race leader is Chilean Ignacio Casale, who is nevertheless 1 hour and 18 minutes behind.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #185
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
And, on cue, Cyril in his own words

There was a really steep downhill section on the dunes today lasting for about 4km that was an impressive section to race. The technique for that was to try my best to stay on my bike and not to flip over the handlebars. The sand was soft so I reduced my speed to about 15km/h to make sure there were no accidents.

The way the race is going so far I’m sure the guys who are winning the stages are surprised by their results. During the stage nobody has any idea of the kind of times the other bikers have so they seem to just be going as fast as they can.

The way some of the guys have been riding in these early stages is not so easy to understand. They are pushing so hard and forcing the engine on day four of the race just to try and have one good stage. Dakar is long and I have always found it better to save something for the very end.

I have been avoiding the dust so far in this race so I think that my engine must be in a better condition than the other guys who are rushing on each stage. The reason I can avoid the dust is because I’m usually in front and opening the track. This is good for my air filters and engine.

I don’t push too much because when you increase the speed the navigation becomes a lot more difficult. Also it protects my engine so I guess my mechanic will be happy again tonight.

The only problems I’ve been having out on the stage are the other bikes riding so close to me. The desert is huge but the others like to stay very close to me. Maybe they think a magician will come and teleport me to the end of the stage but that’s not my secret. The truth is I’m just trying to be as sensible as I can with my riding to protect my bike and my chances of winning this race.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #186
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Hello again, I just spoke with Paul Anders, who has had a very bad day.

He says he first got stuck in a pile of rocks up a mountain. And to free the bike at over 2000 meters above sea level, has required some effort by him. When he finally got loose and the bike came over the mountain, he went later to the ground after hitting a sandbank slightly awry. A bike that came behind him at full speed (a Honda is all I know) just managed to slam his rear wheel into the "tower" (the knob navigansjonsinstrumenter etc) the bike Pål Anders, so that all the instruments were smashed. Not only did these episodes time, the cost of effort and not least major damage to the bike.

Hopefully the team over there fixed the bike tonight and Pål Anders get some rest. In the morning, the running back at the 04 o'clock local time and then the participants will undergo a two-day marathon stage where you can not make use of the assistance from team cars. This means that if something goes wrong with the bike or equipment, one is out of this year's Dakar. Pål Anders seems, however, to this marathon leg as his opportunity to get back in top form. His experience and perseverance gives him probably also due to this. Remember it is "only" 36 minutes up to the set and a lot can happen in the next two days.

On behalf of Pål Anders
Håkon Bjercke, manager

(Translated by Google)

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #187
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Yesterday,
Dakar 2013 Day 4. Interview with Darryl Curtis

15 037 - CURTIS Darryl (ZAF) KTM +00:29:15

v

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #188
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
v
Quote:
dakar com

David Casteau:

Winning a stage is fabulous

“The stage I won in 2010 seems a long time ago. I've always said to myself that winning a special stage is fabulous. What's more, winning at the start of the rally when all the riders are still in it, it's really great. At the end of the Dakar, it can be argued that other riders relax and manage their position. When you win like that with all these riders who've got the bit between their teeth, it's good. Also, it was on a 136-km long special stage, so today it was like a long sprint. I'm really happy about it. I've really got the feel of my bike now and I'm really enjoying it. It's a bike on which I feel good, on which I gobble up the obstacles and behind the handlebars of which I'm relaxed and calm. I arrived on this Dakar having taken stock, with the aim of enjoying each moment, each second. I'm 38 years old and I'm going to take every day as it comes. I'm itching to ride flat out and today I had great fun”.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #189
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgunther View Post
Wouldn't want to be the guy tasked with the mission of fitting a new windscreen to that buckled up car. Has to take ages to get everything aligned! Or do they just screw on a sheet of plexi and seal it with heaps of silicone?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #190
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Dakar 2013, 5th Stage – Arequipa (Peru) – Arica (Chile).
411 km stage (257 miles) including 136 km special test.

Alessandro Botturi fourth in fifth stage of Dakar

The Dakar moved into Chile’s Arica desert for the fifth stage with a slow and cumbersome 411 km (257 miles) with 136 km of special test. It almost seemed like an enduro race. In fact, it was enduro rider Alessandro Botturi who showed his true colours bringing the Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain a well-earned fourth place. After Joan Barreda’s two stage wins and Paulo Goncalves’ second place, Alessandro rode his Husqvarna TE449RR by Speedbrain into fourth place for the second time. In doing so he moves up two places in the overall standings. Now the Italian rider is in 7th place overall.
Husqvarna’s “special customer” Jordi Viladoms on a TE449RR by Speedbrain, put in his usual consistent performance, coming in sevententh today and fifth overall, moving up to lead the Husqvarna riders. The 'fesh-fesh’ and large rocks made life difficult for Paulo Goncalves in the special, where he strived not to make mistakes and finished in fourteenth place.

Likewise, Joan Barreda had an unlucky day picking up a fifteen minute penalty as for an engine change. The engine was substituted in the night as a precaution when a faulty bearing was found. Joan came in a long way behind in today special stage due problems with the gas pump helped with water-carrier Matt Fish.

Tomorrow sees the caravan roll on to Argentina with an extremely long 764 km stage (477 miles) with 454 km of special test.
Alessandro Botturi: ”I set out to win today, but it turned out to be more tricky than I’d imagined. I was unable to attack in the way I’d have liked because of the lack of visibility and the fesh-fesh, but it was a good stage for me.”

Paulo Goncalves: ”I was really careful today. It was a very dangerous stage with a very hazardous terrain. It would have been easy to fall, so I tried not to make any mistakes and get through the stage.”

Jordi Viladoms: ”I’m really pleased with my Speedbrain-Husqvarna. I’m really getting on well with it. Today was a very hazardous stage and I tried to keep a steady pace. I’m very satisfy with my fifth overall place so far.”

Result of Stage 5:
1. Casteu (FRA, Yamaha),
2. Pain (FRA, Yamaha) 01:09 min behind,
3. Pedrero (Spa , KTM) 2:58,
4. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 3:25,
5. Despres (FRA, KTM) 4:07,
14. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 6:27,
119. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 2 h 30 min 33 s,
120. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 3 h 00 min 03 s

Overall Standings after five stages:
1. Pain (FRA, Yamaha),
2. Casteu (FRA, Yamaha) 1:15 min behind,
3. Despres (FRA, KTM) 6:07,
4. Faria (PRT, KTM) 13:34,
5. Viladoms (ESP, Husqvarna) 13:36,
7. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 14:00,
16. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 30:05,
54. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 3 h 04 min 32 s,
56. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) 3 h 05 min 10 s

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #191
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
From TEAM REDVERZ Kevin Muggleton

Strange switching from 90 mph reading your roadbook to absolutely nothing. 16 Dakar competitors have come through the hospital, but a wise sage thought it best we didn't mix . So no bed races, have a feeling the garbage truck drivers might have won!.

Had a body brace fitted yesterday, if it works I might be able to fly in the next few days. Keen to get the op done in Denver so I can start the recovery. Heck at this stage I'll just be happy to sit up by myself.

Funny how your detail focus changes. I arrived in a pair of sweat ridden cycle shorts, which they cut off. Spent the day wondering what I'm going to wear going home .

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #192
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
My compilation from France 4:

It’s the bike section and shows the poor visibility in the fesh fesh, Barreda struggling with Nav and breaking down, you can see he doesn’t seem to have a clue how to fix his own bike, Viladoms stops to see if he is OK but he can doing nothing but wait for his faithful Aussie mech Matt Fish to save the faaarking day. Helio shot above the bike is awesome as is the pounding the suspension is getting in the one shot plus awesome slow motion shots,C'est tres magnifique.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #193
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2vodka View Post
I think you are right. The thinking that he would have had an advantage with the switch to 450 cc is obviously passe. He was instrumental in selling the theory that "450's could be as competitive and entertaining as the Camels of the Desert."

Though, small, racer size men on beasts with immense power to complement their enormity sailing across the desert sand at outrageous speeds is part of the initially fantasy that attracted many of us to Dakar.

The danger was obvious. The skill and courage needed to guide these beasts at such velocities in the uncertainty of the desert was that of the Gods.

I think everyone misses an open class yet understands the extra danger it brought.

Many know of the Isle of Man TT but not all understand why it is sacrosanct to many motorcyclists... a Mecca.

In case someone has time between catching highlights here is a recent documentary on the TT:
Isle of Man TT: A Dangerous Addiction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8J6s7qSUbY

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM   #194
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com has filtered in a few more photos for stage 4. i've re-posted everything to the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

some pretty good stuff!

#28 - JEAN DE AZEVEDO (BRA)

#3 - HELDER RODRIGUES (PRT)

#30 - JAVIER PIZZOLITO (ARG)

#36 - LAIA SANZ (ESP)

#301 - GINIEL DE VILLIERS (ZAF) / DIRK VON ZITZEWITZ (DEU)

#315 - ROBBY GORDON (USA) / KELLON WALCH (USA)

#500 - GERARD DE ROOY (NLD) / TOM COLSOUL (BEL) / DAREK RODEWALD (NLD)

#503 - ALES LOPRAIS (CZE) / SERGE BRUYNKENS (BEL) / RADIM PUSTĚJOVSKÝ (CZE)

#250 - MARCOS PATRONELLI (ARG)

as always, everything posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #195
Flood OP
F5lood.

Meanwhile, let's get some riding tips from desert racers.

Today, Olivier Pain shows us how to handle a patch of fesh-fesh.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread