Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 AM   #211
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Not enough pictures of this guy in my opinion:

Smooth & steady, Jordi is now first Husky. And only, what, about a month and a half to get used to his ride? Awesome

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2013, 02:33 AM   #212
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
Just read this on MCN UK

"
On the flip side to Forman’s success, Malle Moto rider Craig Bounds suffered a heavy crash when a Quad rider crossed his path leaving him with serious neck and back pain. Despite his huge crash, Bounds heroically made it to the end of the stage posting the 76th fastest time.
He said: “I was riding well on the stage and making good progress until the crash. I was in a gully and there was a stationary Quad in front of me. Just as I went to pass him, he fired across my path. I tried to avoid him but must have caught it with my foot peg and ended up cartwheeling down the gully.
“I’ve been to the medical centre for X-rays and have been told that I’ve got a serious compression on my spine and I’ve been told not to ride. The plan is to carry on working on my bike so that it’s ready and see if it’s possible tomorrow. I can’t believe my luck, but I guess it’s one of those things.”
"

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #213
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Stan Watt & Tim Forman update after yesterday's stage:

Crescent KTM and Front Row GB continue to make an impression
The Crescent KTM and Front Row GB team of Stan Watt and Tim Forman had another strong day as the 2013 Dakar completed its fifth stage with both men now in the top-40.

In what was a relatively short timed special of just 136km followed by a 275km liaison stage both men rode well to improve on their positions in the overall race standings. For the second day, the highest placed rider was Forman, who continued to show his pace onboard the Crescent prepared KTM rally bike. The 34-year-old was just six seconds off a top-30 position, finishing the stage in 31st place, 17m48s behind the fastest man of the day and stage winner David Casteau. The result see’s Forman continue to climb up the leader board with the Welshman now holding 37th overall.

Watt put in another solid day to claim 42nd position on the stage. The incredibly consistent Irishman has been rewarded for his efforts by moving further up the leader board. He now holds 33rd overall with five of the 14 stages complete. Stage six will see riders face a 291km liaison followed by a gruelling 455km timed special and then a final 22km liaison.
Tim Forman: “That was the most enjoyable day of riding so far. It was a real mix of fine sand, fast trails, small tracks and some real technical stuff. There were people stuck on the climbs and people ploughing into the fine sand and going over the handlebars. I was just taking my time, having a look around before trying to get up the big climbs and as a result I was able to choose my line and I didn’t get stuck at all. I know how heavy the bike is, so getting stuck or falling off isn’t really an option for me!”
Stan Watt: “I didn’t get off to a good start. There were some really sandy climbs with rocks in them and I ended up crashing twice due to all the dust from other riders. I ended up having to go back down to the bottom and do it again which cost me a lot of time. There were some really rough stages, tracks with lots of rocks and I was able to pass quite a few of the riders that passed me on the earlier climbs. I’m happy with my overall position, now the aim is to try and get into the top 30 by the rest day.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 AM   #214
Flood OP
F5lood.

Source: http://www.grandepremio.com.br/rali/...eridos-no-peru

(Google translation)

A serious accident involving a vehicle in support of the Dakar Rally left two dead and seven wounded late on Wednesday (9) in Peru, 10 kilometers from the border with Chile.

A taxi carrying six people crashed in the front support vehicle, carrying three people. A second taxi with four passengers, flipped several times in an attempt to avoid the collision.Two of the first taxi passengers, including the driver, died in the accident and seven other people - four Peruvians and three passengers in the vehicle support - were injured and were taken to hospitals in Tacna, Peru.

The Peruvian authorities coordinated the rescue operation, which involved three local ambulances, a fire engine and several police officers, with the support of the Dakar team, which sent two ambulances and two security vehicles to the site.*The Peruvian authorities have started investigations into the causes of the accident.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #215
Flood OP
F5lood.

The accident reported earlier involved a Race2Recovery assistance vehicle:

Race2Recovery ·

THREE British members of the Race2Recovery team competing in the Dakar Rally in South America have been badly injured in a road traffic accident, it was confirmed early today. (Thursday)

Their vehicle, a Land Rover Defender (a team support vehicle not a race car) was involved in a head-on collision while travelling in convoy on Day 5 of the challenge with other support vehicles in the town of Tacna, in Peru near the Chilean border.

The three Race2Recovery members are Justin Birchall, 40, a team driver and civilian volunteer from Burnley, Lancashire, whose Wildcat vehicle retired earlier in the race; former Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineer and Gulf War and Falklands war veteran Lee Townsend, a team mechanic, from Yate near Bristol; and retired Army Major John Winskill, aged 42, the team logistics expert from Durrington, near Salisbury, Wilts.

It is understood that two other vehicles were involved in the accident and two people received fatal injuries and others were injured. Team leader Captain Tony Harris said: “Our hearts go out to the families and relatives of those who have died in this tragic accident and we offer them our condolences and sympathy. Our entire team has been struck by the friendliness and support we have received from the Peruvian people since arriving for the Dakar Rally.”
Captain Harris said that the Team had unanimously agreed to continue the challenge with the two remaining Wildcat vehicles.

The three injured R2R team members were transferred to a local hospital and later flown from Tacna by an Antonov aircraft to hospital in Lima where they are said to be ‘stable and conscious.” Their injuries were described as “non-life-threatening.” Their families have been informed of the accident by other team members.
“This is obviously a huge shock but we know that we have the blessing of the injured. They want the team to finish,” Tony said.
The accident is being investigated by the local police in Peru and the team is being supported by the race organisers.

Source.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook

Flood screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 04:52 AM
Old 01-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #216
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
That, and 'hold my beer...' moments.

13:03 Bikes: David Casteu starts the special

The French Yamaha rider has just started today’s special, tackling the first 229 kilometres, followed by a 96-km neutralised zone, before the final 129 km against the clock. Behind Casteu, general standings leader Olivier Pain will try and maintain his lead, but will have to resist the ambitions of title holder Cyril Despres.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Okay so while we wait for WP1 to come up, the refuel is at WP 6... the start of the nutralized zone... that the first point where the front runners will get to (the 15 minute mandatory pause) where they can check gaps on each other...

Then they roll through 96 km nuetralized stage under the eyes of the tracker (no speeding or you get stung) and then into the last 128 km's of the special... some major altitude climbing in there! Watch out fuel troubles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
The three Race2Recovery members are Justin Birchall, 40, a team driver and civilian volunteer from Burnley, Lancashire, whose Wildcat vehicle retired earlier in the race; former Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineer and Gulf War and Falklands war veteran Lee Townsend, a team mechanic, from Yate near Bristol; and retired Army Major John Winskill, aged 42, the team logistics expert from Durrington, near Salisbury, Wilts.

It is understood that two other vehicles were involved in the accident and two people received fatal injuries and others were injured. Team leader Captain Tony Harris said: “Our hearts go out to the families and relatives of those who have died in this tragic accident and we offer them our condolences and sympathy. Our entire team has been struck by the friendliness and support we have received from the Peruvian people since arriving for the Dakar Rally.”
Captain Harris said that the Team had unanimously agreed to continue the challenge with the two remaining Wildcat vehicles.

The three injured R2R team members were transferred to a local hospital and later flown from Tacna by an Antonov aircraft to hospital in Lima where they are said to be ‘stable and conscious.” Their injuries were described as “non-life-threatening.” Their families have been informed of the accident by other team members.
“This is obviously a huge shock but we know that we have the blessing of the injured. They want the team to finish,” Tony said.
The accident is being investigated by the local police in Peru and the team is being supported by the race organisers.

Source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #217
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamingeagle3 View Post
Hope all ends well.....

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #218
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
The destroyed support Land Rover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1978 View Post
I thought all support vehicles needed to be caged? Is that not a cut section of cage peeled back infront of the guy in red with reflective bands? (Fireman?) Where they've had to cut cage and doors to access the casualty?

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 AM   #219
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Speedbrainers at DSS:

Quote:
Data dump at WP2!

Paulo Goncalves is the new leader, followed by Ruben Faria who seems to have been unleashed from his water carrier role. Hotshot Israel Esquerre in 3rd. Despres down +4'57" in 11th, followed by yesterday's leaders Pain and Casteu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
010 - CASTEU David (FRA) YAMAHA 9:17:12 (1) 9:49:03 (1) -: -: -
- (3) 012 - Juan Pedrero (ESP) KTM 9:17:51 (2) 9:49:05 (2) -
- (2) 009 - PAIN Olivier (FRA) YAMAHA 9:19:32 (3) 9:49:54
- (4) 017 - BOTTURI ALESSANDRO (ITA) HUSQVARNA 9:20:31 (4) 9:50:04
- (5) 001 - DESPRES Cyril (FRA) KTM 9:24:20 (6) 9:54:14 (5)
- (6) 006 - SVITKO Stefan (SVK) KTM 9:24:06 (5) 9:54:20
- (7) 007 - LOPEZ Francisco (CHL) KTM 9:25:41 (7) 9:54:38 (7)
- (8) 003 - Clear RODRIGUES (PRT) HONDA 9:27:33 (8) 9:56:45 (8)
- (11) 018 - PRZYGONSKI Jakub (POL) KTM 9:33:12 (12) 10:01:49 (9) -
- (12) 092 - ISRAEL Esquerre Jeremías (CHL) HONDA 9:31:57 (10) 10:01:56
- (13) 011 - FARIA Ruben (PRT) KTM 9:34:28 (13) 10:02:30 (11)
- (10) 032 - JAKES Ivan (SVK) KTM 9:33:02 (11) 10:02:55 (12)
- (14) 020 - Paulo Gonçalves (PRT) HUSQVARNA 9:35:44 (14) 10:03:17

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #220
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Casteau and Pedrero are opening the road (close together) thru WP2 with Pain and Botturi together about a minute back...

Caselli is leading on corrected time by virtue of his 20th start pos. he has come up on the leaders (timewise), but is stilly physically back in 18th position on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
top 10 at WP 2 with 33 riders thru

1 029 CASELLI (USA) KTM 000:55:40 00:00:00
2 020 GONÇALVES (PRT) HUSQVARNA 000:56:17 00:00:37 00:00:00
3 011 FARIA (PRT) KTM 000:56:30 00:00:50 00:00:00
4 004 VILADOMS (ESP) HUSQVARNA 000:56:44 00:01:04 00:00:00
5 030 PIZZOLITO (ARG) HONDA 000:56:49 00:01:09 00:00:00
6 013 FARRES GUELL (ESP) HONDA 000:56:53 00:01:13 00:00:00
7 092 ISRAEL ESQUERRE (CHL) HONDA 000:56:56 00:01:16 00:00:00
8 007 LOPEZ CONTARDO (CHL) KTM 000:57:38 00:01:58 00:00:00
9 003 RODRIGUES (PRT) HONDA 000:57:45 00:02:05 00:00:00
10 018 PRZYGONSKI (POL) KTM 000:57:49 00:02:09 00:00:00
Quote:
Pain Pedrero and Casteau first three thru CP1 within a minute of each other but Chaleco had the lead on corrected time, running 6th on the road(behind despres)

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #221
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Not caught up all the way but wanted to throw some input here.

Over the course of the stage, there are often on the order of 30 waypoints, between speed zone entrance and exits, WPM, WPS, DSS, ASS, etc. The GPS records mileage as covered on the ground, UNTIL you collect one of those 30 waypoints, at which point it sets itself correctly to the roadbook.

So, the advantage of the GPS odo is that it automatically corrects itself. I found myself using it more and more heavily as the rally progressed.

The drawback is that you can't increment or decrement it if you get lost... but the need to do so is mostly obviated by the auto correct function.

A few car navigators I spoke with indicated using the GPS odo more or less exclusively.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #222
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
awww, thanks!

I get a lot of messages from people thinking about Dakar, and to me, the thing that separates them into two groups is not skill or fitness or budget or etc. It's whether they love getting on their motorbike and riding it all day and exploring challenging terrain, or whether they want to have done Dakar.

Lyndon (and Kevin) are in the former group. The folks who are bucket-listing (my verb for the second group) seem to me not only to be missing some of the joy of it, but also setting themselves up for failure.

I was really lucky to get to go do it, it was exactly what I wanted to do and where I wanted to be. From my perspective, I appreciate the compliments, but they feel undeserved insofar as I was selfishly enjoying myself.

Work ethic, HA!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #223
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
OK, one last post, sorry for piecemealing them, not trying to climb the leaderboard here.

The pics that I saw from today's stage seemed very familiar, not saying we were there, but it sure looked like what I remember. Assuming that's the case, there is some absolute dogshit riding coming along to compliment today's serving of it. What is coming is not necessarily particularly challenging technically, but it's also not technically pleasurable.

For miles, the roads are covered in silt, sometimes shallow, sometimes deeper. The silt is totally without form, it just covers what is beneath and obscures it from view. Unlike sand, it doesn't seem to have any density, it just melts around your tire.

In Baja, what lies beneath is typically ruts, but not here. In Chile, it is rocks, and you are riding along just waiting for the hidden rock to kick you. Imagine riding across a dirt parking lot that has baseball -> watermelon sized rocks strewn about, and you have a blindfold on. You wind up just bracing yourself for the next impact, unsure when it will come, and hoping that the interval from one unexpected hit to the next is long enough to get the bike collected. The reality of the hits is generally not as bad as the anticipation of them, if that makes sense.

I started calling Chile "the land of hidden surprises", that isn't meant as a compliment.

Lyndon and I share taste in trails pretty closely, so I feel a reasonable degree of confidence in predicting that his least favorite riding will be the next few days, and his most favorite will be in Argentina. Obviously, I have no perspective as they go further South into Chile, maybe that part will be strawberry shortcake land... but I doubt it!
Quote:
When I got oil from a spectator on Day 7, I chose the car with the most hot babes around it. And it was a debate, which one to choose! South America definitely has it all over Africa in that very important respect!

And that reminds me, I wanted to add a note about outside assistance.

From a rulebook perspective, it is very hard to legislate the difference between the mustachioed man, ie a team member in a non-assistance zone, and a random stranger along the course.

The top teams do have "ghost cars" full of parts and expertise, cars that are not entered in the race and are not legal. This is what the rules against assistance are trying to address, at least somewhat unsuccessfully I would add.

Since the very first editions in Africa, stories of resourceful entrants doing whatever it took to continue are legendary. I do not believe the ASO wants to end this practice, it is part of the adventure of the event. But they need something on the books to deal with the mustachioed man... and how do you define him differently to a fisherman loaning a competitor some bailing wire? It's a bit different to a "fisherman" loaning a competitor the exact billet carbon fiber part that he needs...

Along these same lines, I was also very concerned about carrying an iPhone, as there are numerous rules against having a gps, etc. I asked at scrutineering, and they said it was no problem at all, after all, it didn't have the route in it so it wouldn't do me any good.

My experience was that the ASO are trying to enforce the intent of the rulebook, which is that competitors are on an individual adventure and challenge, not the letter. Which is worth keeping in mind when watching the coverage.
Quote:
it's actually not that difficult Ned... by incorporating a couple of sentences into the rules governing outside assistance, the key words being; pre-arranged, by proir arrangement and/or pre-meditated... the intent being that any team who sets out to circumvent the outside servicing regulations, is guilty of a breach of the rules. Wether you use it or not is irrelevant.

You are quite right... there IS a big difference between a rider plugging away in the rear third of the field, who fenegles a few liters of fuel from a moped riding fisherman, on the off chance that he stumbles across such an individual while he is lost for the umpteenh time on that particular leg/stage. Or for that matter a car driver who having tore the front radiator support panel out of the front of the car in a nasty sand gully, fixes it using bailing wire and a stick welder procured from a defunkt roadside workshed in some godforsaken desert shanty town.

On the Oz Safari this is referred to as "living off the land"... and while it is not ENCOURAGED... it is not penalized either...

BUT it IS significantly different to the mustached homre getting around the course (and seen repeatedly over several different stages) in a plain clothed Toyota landcruiser, coincidentally loaded smock full of KTM 690 Rallye parts, wheels and accessories.

The charm of rally competitors finding "creative" ways to keep themselves in the race is as old as the DAKAR itself... and that should continue... but not at the expense of the rules developing into a free for all, of unregistered clandestine service vehicles all over the show.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #224
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
I watched the Dakar each year through the 90's catching it on Speedvision, never religiously and at the time, my interest was in F1 and GT road racing. I used to watch Dakar for the cars and the trucks, those giant trucks.

In the 2004 coverage, something caught my eye, a KTM 660. WTF is that I thought. That looked cool so an internet search later I happened upon ADVrider and joined up to find out more about this bike...and then I was completely hooked.

Back then, the bivouac stories came three weeks later when Charlie chimed in with a post or two. Eurosport coverage was unobtanium in the states. and we would lap up every ounce of information we could get. 2005 was the first I followed with a real passion for it, the rules, the route, the riders. From that point on, the car race means very little to me. I don't even bother looking at the rankings. We learned the posis lists, the little tricks like when the French version of the list would update a minute or two before the english version as we formulated the early days of F5orce as a race to post the information of who was at what CP or WP. We had maps and tracks to see the route and the rider on that route (if it actually was working).

Charlie Rauseo and Roaring Horse, Scot Harden were our direct connections to the race as well as the rare post by Jimmy Lewis. It grew each year as we got better and more organized at sourcing the information, but it still mostly came from dakar.com. There was no twitter or FB or separate trackers, no Eurosport or France4, no youtube.

Now, quite frankly I've given up trying to keep up from a posting perspective. I lurk through every post, read all the information, but my output is usually twitter and my blog as so many others have joined the fray here and taken the reins. Quite frankly, the pace is that of the US debt, it has taken on a life of it's own and with my new job this year, I simply can't take two weeks of "inter-office personal days" as much as I used to.

I love every minute of it though between the real time aspect of knowing the exact moment that Chavo has stopped for McDonald's on the liaison, to video of RG rolling in the middle of nowhere getting posted to the web within 15 minutes, it is impossible to consume it all without being overwhelmed. I've come to discover that I enjoy writing about it, I try to keep up with my wrap ups and try to dig into stories that are a little more technical or that catch my eye as needing more depth rather than the play by play anymore although via twitter, I try to feed the minute by minute happenings and this year over other, the positive response has been both humbling and overwhelming. Like others, I have no one in the real world to discuss this with. My wife sees the obsession for two weeks each year and tolerates it, but it's my "hobby" and my little dork blog". People at work see my wallpaper and ask if it's me...if they only knew how much I wished it was.

This thread is so much fun each year and I am honored to have somewhat fallen into the old guard of starting it and it's such a great feeling to see how everyone has adopted into the process and have run with it. Just looking at the stats of how the thread grows each year over year is stunning. We are doing in a day what we did for the entire two weeks back in 2005 and 2006.

After all of that, I'll never forget Packmule calling me up on the first day of the 2008 rally as I was walking to my car for work and breaking the news that the whole thing was cancelled. Gutted.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #225
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post
There seem to be lots of comments about CdP's relatively slow pace. I can't help but think of an interview I heard with Rick Mears (multiple Indy 500 winner) when he talked about managing risk in a long race.

He would basically half-life the entire race. For the first half he would only push as much as necessary to maintain within reach of the leaders (IIRC, he only wanted to be on the lead lap).

The second half was broken into quarters. The first quarter he would push hard enough to high up on the board (say 10th).

The second quarter was broken into eighths. The first eighth he would push harder, and begin taking more risks to get onto the podium. If he found himself in 1st by the end of the that eighth, he would then manage his lead.

If still behind, the final eighth was divided into sixteenths, and he would increase his pace again. Begin taking more risk. If at the end of that he was still not in the lead he would start pushing flat out, maxiumum attack.

Mears' whole point of this is that racing is about managing risk to the exent that it can be managed. Pushing hard from the start to the finish is simply not possible -and he was only talking about 500 miles on pavement, or 1000 in Baja - nothing near the race distance of Dakar. You cannot take those kinds of risks for the entire race and reasonably expect to make it to the finish line. Think of it as the anit-Robby strategy. Gordon is kind of known for having great speed, but breaking his toys, or crashing, or both. It seems from the outside that Robbie is pushing too hard for too long and the law of averages bites him.

So why on Earth would CdP do anything to risk his rallye so early on? He's within touch of his challengers. He can pull the cork seemingly at will and clip 10 minutes off the entire field except Coma (who's out). There's simply no upside for Cyril to run maximum attack at this point.

We will probably not start to see Cyril take big bites out of people until after the rest day.
Quote:
Couldn't agree more. For chrissakes, it's (still) the bloody Dakar, not a hare scramble. And by risks, people seem to forget that taking care of the bike as well as your body is high on the list. Let's not forget that Barreda had to make an engine change before his fuel pump problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
One of our late, great drivers in Aus. had a philosophy about our biggest enduro race. For the first 3/4 of the race you're just buying your ticket for the last 1/4. Once you've paid for the ticket you can take part in the race. I think Cyril might just be buying his ticket at the moment.

Pyndon '13
Closed Thread