Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #241
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnaou View Post
Here is some information from the Freedom rallye racing FB page:

"Luis always wore a pink silicone wrist band in honor of his sister who died of cancer a few years ago. He cut a slither off the rubber bracelet and used that as a gasket! He put the cylinder head back on and believe it or not, The engine started!
At this point Luis decided to take a “short cut” and incur the penalties of bypassing a couple of Check Points, rather than risk not arriving at the Finish Line at all. And he made it!! "

I cannot find exactly how much he would have been penalized by this (the rule book says refer to roadbook) but I am sure that is part of the penalities...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Looking at the stage tomorrow, it will be a first where most of the stage is above 3,500m

Thats also why it is short I think. It does not look very technical at all, just lots of rough two track, maybe a bit of off piste at the beginning.

Anyway I wanted to say if this stage is a success, Bolivia will be in the menu for next year.

Its very VERY high for helicopters to fly, theyre close to if not at their ceiling altitudes. Those guys doing the flying tomorrow will need brass balls, big time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
RallyRAIDio GIF of the day: Lyndon Poskitt, who else?!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #242
PackMule
love what you do

Lyndon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coose View Post
Blatantly stolen from Facebook. If he looks this happy after 730km there will be no stopping him!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #243
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
2013 Dakar - Stage 6
by Cyril Despres on Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 1:45pm ·

Cyril Despres

“Yesterday I said my plan for today was to push right from the start and that is exactly what I did until km 24 when I went into the wrong valley. I only lost about 2 minutes but it took about 3 boxes on the road book to make sure I was back on track and it all interrupted my flow a little. I went well over the rest of the first special and really enjoyed the second special after the neutralisation. For the first time on this Dakar we were on hard-packed pistes and it made a nice change from all the sand and off-piste we’ve had until now. There must have been between 150 to 200 bends over that section and it was great fun drifting through them. Quite quickly though I got caught in Bottuiri’s dust and then he got caught in Casteu’s who eventually got stuck behind Pain. I never overtake in the dust, as it is just too dangerous, and that meant that I didn’t make up as much time over the stage as I had hoped.

Tomorrow is the start of the marathon stage that will eventually take us to Tucuman. With no mechanical assistance tomorrow night we will have to take care of our engines and also make sure we get enough sleep. Fortunately Ruben had another great day today and so we will be able to ride tactically tomorrow which should allow me to catch up to Lopez and pull back 4 minutes.”

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #244
PackMule
love what you do

An emotional Lyndon Poskitt calls in after stage 8.

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D08.mp3

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #245
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Jordi Viladoms has experienced its worst day since starting the Dakar 2013. What at first was assumed as a great day, ended up becoming a nightmare for the pilot of Igualada. After completing the first part of the race in fourth place, finished 38th due to a fault in his Husqvarna TE 449 RR in the final stretch.

After five stages following a conservative approach, Viladoms has decided to move to the attack on the sixth lap, held today between Arica and Calama, with 438 km of special divided into two sectors. In the first, the Spaniard has made a strong showing, coming to shoot third ahead of Chilean Francisco Lopez. At intermediate career has been in fourth, 2'37 "of then interim leader, Portuguese Paulo Goncalves.

The impasse created by the link between one sector and another does not sit well with Jordi or, rather, his Husqvarna TE 449 RR. Upon resumption of the special stage, the bike has begun to fail right from the first few miles, forcing Viladoms to slow your pace to get to the goal.

"Today I felt it was the day of attack and all was well until the stretch neutralized. From there, has begun to fail the motorcycle and stopped pulling. I have decided to stand up to change the injector, but still did not exceed 70 km / h. edge. As barely know the mechanics of the Husqvarna I preferred not to touch anything else and focus all my efforts to reach the goal as quickly as possible, "he explained.

The pilot said from Chile that "we were doing a good race and the strategy was correct but some things, such as mechanics, you can not control." Meanwhile, David Clap your mechanic had set to work to find the cause of the fault and fix it tomorrow.

Anyway, Jordi Viladoms not throw in the towel and maintains its firm intention to do battle with the top finishers in how much is left of Dakar: "It is clear that the objectives have changed, but will continue to compete every day to recover all the ground as possible and move up. "

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #246
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,632
Quote:
Speedbrain

Dakar 2013, 6th Stage – Arica – Calama
764 km stage (477 miles) including 454 km special test.

Botturi still up with the leaders in Dakar sixth stage

Dakar gets tough now with three tricky stages ahead of 13th January’s rest day at San Miguel de Tucuman. Today saw 454 km (284 miles) of special test split into two sections. Alessandro Botturi really pushed his Husqvarna TE449RR by Speedbrain hard finishing just behind the leaders in fifth place. Alessandro, however slips down to tenth position in the overall standings, due to a fifteen minute penalty imposed after he had his engine changed for precaution ahead of tomorrow’s marathon stage.

Paulo Goncalves pushed hard too but was unlucky. Paulo won the first part of the special a minute ahead of Lopez, but an electrical problem at the start of the second stage caused him to slow down considerably, and he finished some way behind. Jordi Viladoms, who set a tremendous pace in the initial special part amongst the top ten, likewise had difficulties with the TE449RR’s electrics.

Joan Barreda finished the special test in twenty-ninth position after being involved in an ugly crash in the second part of the stage which leaves him nursing a heavily bruised right wrist. Matt Fish is managing to finish the race and solve same technical problems on his bike in order to start again tomorrow.

Alessandro Botturi: ”Well, I’m very pleased. I got past the first three straight away this morning, and I was in control of the stage for most of the special. It really was a long one, very dusty and tiring. But I’m very happy. Yesterday we decided to change the engine ahead of tomorrow’s marathon test.”

Paulo Goncalves: “It was a shame about the electrical problems or I would have easily won the special. I won the first part a minute ahead of Lopez. A couple of kilometres into the second stage I started to experience electrical problems. I lost a lot of time changing the fuses, otherwise I wouldn’t have come in so far back, and I’d have probably won the stage.”

Joan Barreda: “I didn’t push for the whole of the stage, and I just wanted to find the right pace to set for the next few days. I stopped to see if Paulo needed any help, and then set off again. But in all the dust I made a mistake and fell badly. My hand and wrist are hurting a lot. I don’t know if I’ll be able to start tomorrow.”

Result Stage 6:
1. Lopez (CHL, KTM) 3h36m21s
2. Faria (ESP, KTM) +00:02:34
3. Despres (FRA, KTM) +00:03:48
4. Caselli (USA, KTM) +00:04:48
5. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:05:35
29. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:27:33
49. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +01:06:42

Overall Standings after six stages:
1. Pain (FRA, Yamaha) 15h35m23s
2. Despres (FRA, KTM) +00:02:22
3. Casteu (FRA, Yamaha) +00:04:48
4. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:06:06
5. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:08:35
10. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:27:02
27. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +01:29:14
48. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +03:39:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #247
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
http://pauljaydakar.com/

The cheapest way to ride The Dakar is Malle Moto (on your own, out of the box with no support) but I’ll still need a bike. I contacted ASO and they confirmed there was a place available in the Malle Moto (only 20 places allowed) but would recommend I don’t go this route for my first attempt. I couldn’t stop myself thinking, was it not meant to be, should I just pull out and loose my deposit as I’d missed the deadline to with draw my entry and try again next year? I should also mention that at the same sort of time this was going on Uncle Alec (Uncle Bud) suddenly died, he had a massive influence with my love of bikes and a mentored me through many life situations with his wise words. This was a real low point, a quite week of contemplation, lots of questions and reflecting. I came to the conclusion, I’m not getting any younger, I’m very lucky to have been given a ride and if I’m to learn anything from Uncle Bud’s death/life, is that it’s over before you know it and you only get one shot at it. Live life with No Regrets! I paid the remaining money to ASO (8,400 Euros) to get myself and a bike entered, I’ll work the rest out as we go along.
I now have only 5 weeks to build a Dakar bike and get it to Le Havre….!!!

see it

was he malle moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 01-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #248
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Featuring Tim Coronel.
Locals are very friendly, PERU,PERU !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9XMBXsekE&feature=youtu.be

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #249
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
ric678, Manuel is a really likeable guy as well as a talented rider, check out his video diary.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVKH86kwiTg

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #250
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Each year I print off one photo for my garage...2013 gets this one. Simply amazing photgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Riann Van Niekerk. ZAF. Broadlink KTM RAlly Factory Team. His first Dakar.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #251
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Verhoven:

Photo: Maindru

Foto: DDT Press
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetid_swamp View Post
dont know if posted before, i'm a long way behind but catching...

nicolas boyer 127 xr400, still in the game.
he's been hovering in the 95-105 band
i watch for his number coming in every day.
awesome effort given the attrition of other riders and bikes
and given the severity of the terrain has much "better" machines at their limit

i hope i havent given him the kiss of death.
goooo nicolas

http://translate.google.com.au/trans...lus-simple-282

http://translate.google.com.au/trans...t-sa-400-xr%2F

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #252
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
i'm sure more will cycle in over the next few hours, but here's what webventure.com.br have posted so far for stage 6; everything re-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

bikes

#47 - MAREK DABROWSKI (POL)

#48 - HANS-JOS LIEFHEBBER (NLD)

#102 - DAVID REEVE (ZMB)

#49 - PABLO RODRÍGUEZ (ARG)

#41 - FELIPE PROHENS (CHL)

#30 - JAVIER PIZZOLITO (ARG)

quads

#253 - RAFAL SONIK (POL)

cars

#422 - VARELA REINALDO (BRA)

#339 - SZYMON RUTA (POL) / LAURENT LICHTLEUCHTER (FRA)

#314 - BORIS GARAFULIC (CHL) / GILLES PICARD (FRA)

trucks

#504 - HANS STACEY (NLD) / DETLEF RUF (DEU) / BERNARD DER KINDEREN (NLD)

misc

tldr; everything re-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.
Quote:
HRC Team

Day 6 Arica – Calama 313 km liaison 455 km special
This first special stage held in Chile took the competitors to the Atacama desert, a plateau that covers a 600-mile strip of land on the Pacific coast west of the Andes Mountains, famous for the torrid temperatures, sand dunes and salt lakes.
The Dakar is getting tougher and tougher and riders faced today a 455-km stage, split in two parts by 100 km of liaison. The first stage was characterized by big rolling dunes at the sea level, while the second part climbed up to 3,200 meters, before reaching the mining town of Calama at 2,200 meters of altitude.
Overall it was a very long day that stressed the competitors’ bodies as well as the machines. Endurance alone is not sufficient as riders need to focus always at their road books and ride with an accurate navigation.
Chilean rider Chaleco Lopez won the first fully Chilean special stage of the year in front Portuguese Ruben Faria (2’34 behind) and Cyril Despres, third at 03’48, while Helder Rodrigues finished 7th , 06’.58” behind the stage winner. Argentinian Javier Pizzolito rode with a good pace and finished 16th, 11’37” from Lopez. It was a positive day for Johnny Campbell in 24th still suffering from sore ribs. With today’s results Helder Rodrigues gained some valuable positions and sits in 9th place overall, Javier Pizzolito in 13th and Johnny Campbell in 77th, due the problem he had on the third stage.

Helder Rodrigues SS6 7th +06’58”, 9th in the Overall: “It was a long stage and climbing uphill we had the first taste of the altitude. Tomorrow it will be tougher as the stage will be averagely between 3,400 and 4,000 meters. With 4 hours sleep last night, it will be important to have a good rest and be ready for tomorrow’s marathon stage”.

Javier Pizzolito SS6 16th +11’37”, 13th in the Overall: “I rode consistently without taking too many risks as it is still a long race and it’s important not to make mistakes. I enjoyed particularly the sandy dunes and I’m ready for tomorrow’s marathon stage”.

Johnny Campbell SS6 24th +23’41”, 77th in the Overall: “I enjoyed the big rolling dunes in the first part of the stage. In the second part the machine started to feel the altitude and I also could feel it, as it was more difficult to breath. It will important now to take a good rest as tomorrow we will climb up to 4,975 metres”.

Unofficial Lap Times SS6 1 Lopez (KTM), 2. Faria (KTM) + 2’34”, 3. Despres (KTM) +3’48” … 7. Rodrigues Team HRC (Honda) +6’58, 16. Pizzolito Team HRC (Honda) +11’37, 24. Campbell Team HRC (Honda) +23’41”Overall Classification: 1. Pain (Yamaha) 2. Despres (KTM) +2’22”, 3. Casteu (Yamaha) +4’48”…. 9.Rodrigues Team HRC (Honda) +25’23”, 13. Pizzolito Team HRC (Honda) +29’49”, 77. Campbell Team HRC (Honda) +5h23’18.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #253
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Dakar Rally race report- Johnny Campbell:
Stages 4-6
Stage 4:
Nazca-Arequipa
Special 290Kms
Liaison 429kms
Total stage 719Kms
Well Howdy everyone! Sorry I have been out of touch the last 3 days as text
service and email is poor in these parts. I hardly remember one stage to
the next as we are burning up calories and the miles like crazy.

Stage 4:
All I really remember from stage 4 is that we had silt-dunes and beach and
it was a long ass ride. We did have an amazing dune section that dropped of
a sand mountain about 3000' to a rocky wash. It was possibly the gnarliest
thing I have ever experienced next to jumping down the Iquique Dune with
Robby G. At the bottom was rocks and I stopped to help a downed rider. He
was fine but didn't remember me picking him up at the end of the stage!
I had a good get off as well toward the end of that stage, bruising my ribs
but thanks to my awesome Fly Racing chest protector I didn't break
anything. I think I finished like 38th or something disappointing like
that. But I had an amazing time riding incredible terrain. The 400 plus
liaison was long and tiring and scary too! We ran along the Pacific Ocean
with a 1000' drop for miles.

Stage 5:
Hmmm let's see.... Oh yeah we started late and had a short stage from
Arequipa to finally crossing the border to Arica, Chile. Thankfully we had
a late 8am start and a short 136K stage followed by a 275K liaison. This
stage I actually started to feel more like my old self, with some more Baja
style terrain. Posted my best finish to date , 25th for the day.

Stage 6:
Today, went from Arica to Calama. It started with a very early 5am start on
a 400Km liaison- that's 4 hours of Highway riding just to get to the start
line! Yikes! The special was broken into to tests with a another 100km
liaison between. The first part was dunes more dunes and finished with a
fun fast twisty road with berms on the sides. I chased dust seemed like the
whole time, just praying for the wind to be in my favor. The second 110k
portion started with a fast silt run that I could careless if I ever ride
that area again. The last half was really fun, catching an passing riders
an having good solid racing, to finish up at 10,000' elevation. I felt a
little winded up there since we started at sea level that morning.
Finished 24th today. Tomorrow we start a 500 mile stage over the Andes at
15,000' elevation. Heard there is some cold stuff up there.
My Team has been amazing from management down to the Pirelli tire mafia.
They have worked sleepless nights preparing the bikes and I can't thank
them enough.
Love you all,
Adios for now.
Johnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
For those following at home, Luis is the current Lanterne Rouge and has been on stage 24 hours longer than Olivier Pain through 6 stages. That does not include the additional time it's taken him to do the liaisons.

Think about that for a minute.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #254
PackMule
love what you do

Love him or hate him, this is a great video piece, especially Kellon's commentary at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Been there, done that.

It's always appeared to me that Robbie could win this thing, if he just relaxed a bit. With any luck, with the bulk of the race before him and the chance of winning gone, he'll just go out and have some fun. If he can do that, I think he could learn something big from it.

Passion is the big one that motivates us to do this sort of thing. We just fucking love it. But with too much passion, too much focus, it ceases to fun. And, in my experience, it eliminates that variable that makes it possible to win. And if you do luck into the win, it lacks the joy it should have brought.

I really hope that, like him playing with the local kids and the rc car, he just goes out and has fun with it.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #255
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
posting a few dakar.com photos as we speak in the media thread... a bit more feeling with some of today's photos...

#303 - CARLOS SAINZ (ESP) / TIMO GOTTSCHALK (DEU)

#306 - LUCIO EZEQUIEL ÁLVAREZ (ARG) / BERNARDO ROLANDO GRAUE (ARG)

(PUSH!)

#315 - ROBBY GORDON (USA) / KELLON WALCH (USA)

(sleeping on the job)

(yup, we're in the shit now!)

#117 - JOSEFINA GARDULSKI (CHL)

...and the usual action shots:

#301 - GINIEL DE VILLIERS (ZAF) / DIRK VON ZITZEWITZ (DEU)

#315 - ROBBY GORDON (USA) / KELLON WALCH (USA)

#303 - CARLOS SAINZ (ESP) / TIMO GOTTSCHALK (DEU)

#159 - JORGE AGUILAR (SLV)

more in the media thread.

Pyndon '13
Closed Thread