Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #256
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Dakar.com has a bunch of photos for each stage that they're not showing in the main "photos" area; over in the media thread are a bunch more. here's a few for now:

hidden driver photos

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #257
PackMule
love what you do

Si Pavey updates

Emphasis added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard ORS View Post
Stage Four – Nazca to Arequipa – 717 Km

Bad like strikes again for Team Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK, but Simon puts in a strong ride to salvage the stage.

Stage four was the first of the 2013 Dakar’s long stages with competitors racking up 700km of riding on the last stage in Peru. The technical and dusty stage claimed even more victims but once again Simon rode strongly.

Sadly Simon’s efforts were merely a salvage mission as the Australian had to ride hard to make up for losing almost two hours due to an unfortunate mechanical error that saw the bike cease to run after just 16km of the special stage.

Taking time to diagnose the potential problems and trying to contact the team for advice on the situation, Simon dropped an hour behind the last motorcycle on stage and was behind the lead cars when he diagnosed the issue of a fuel tap not being turned on.

Despite this setback Simon pushed on hard, passing more than 50 bikes to pull himself up to an impressive 126th place on the stage. On the most physical and technical special stage of the rally yet, Simon and his Husqvarna TE 449 SPR excelled and showed some of the potential of the bike.

Don Hatton has also continued on to help Simon as part of assistance crew. Don’s collision with a truck on stage three saw his bike damaged extremely badly and the incident started a downward spiral that saw Don forced to retire in the early hours of the morning.

Simon Pavey – “It was a shame that we had the mistake today, it’s an unfortunate thing and sometimes these things happen. Despite the setback though, I had a great day. I loved the riding today, it was technical, physical and I rode really well.

I felt so at home on the bike, everything was working perfectly. Once I caught up to the last bike, riders started coming thick and fast. The more difficult nature of the day suited me and I was riding fast without trying. It was definitely the most fun stage of the race so far. I managed to pass six riders on one of the difficult climbs and there was a really steep, fast downhill that was superb.

Then we had a big liaison section, it was 430 km of slow going. We’re limited to 100km/h and the road was coastal and slow. It grated a lot and we didn’t get into until late today. Tomorrow should be a fun special stage though, it’s bikes only and in previous years they have been the most fun stages.”

On stage five the rally will cross over to Chile, but not without the competitors racing their final stage in Peru, a shorter 136km stage, before heading toward the town of Arica.

Stage Results
126th - 06:04:56

Overall Results
90th - 13:34:52

For the latest photos click HERE or paste http://www.simonpavey.com/galleries/ into you browser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard ORS View Post
Stage Five – Arequipa to Arica – 410km

The technical stage five provides a good result as the Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK rider fights to put the previous stage behind him.

On paper the short stage five should have been one of the easier stages, but the technical riding, fesh fesh and rocks reveal it to be the toughest stage yet. Once again the stage claimed its victims as the bikes had their first ‘bike only’ stage of the rally.

Starting the stage behind 125 bikes and 30 quads, Simon pushed hard all day in the physical and dangerous riding to regain his position in the starting order. With technical nature of the riding requiring good line choice and careful navigation in the dust of the Fesh Fesh, Simon quickly found himself at home as he began to pass rider after rider.

Despite the stage being only 136km Simon’s clever and aggressive riding saw him pass around 50 vehicles and take an impressive 64th overall. Following the stage the riders headed south across the Chilean border on the spectacular Pan Americana.

Simon Pavey
“Wow today was hard! The stage was physical and technical. It was brutal really. Starting at the back of the field makes life so hard; the course is so bad by the time you get there the track is destroyed. The stage was dangerous today too. The fesh fesh was deep, littered with rocks and generally difficult to ride. We crossed a rock field that was 14km long and another gulley that had foot deep fesh fesh ruts.

I tried to ride smart today, even though I pushed on, I stayed out of the fesh fesh completely. Sometimes it cost me time but I’m not going to take the risk of pushing hard when I can’t see. There were so many boulders in the fesh fesh and it’s scary. Overall it was great fun though, the best riding is always technical and I had a really good day. It’s good to get back up the pack again as quickly as I have. The track really is much harder to ride at the back of the race.

It looks like the stage tomorrow will be difficult again. We have a really early start and a long stage ahead. Coupled with that loss of two hours sleep tonight, tomorrow is going to be really tiring.”

The caravan heads south from Arica to Calama tomorrow, with a painfully long stage of 769km for the competitors to enjoy. The stage is meant to be another difficult event, with even more of the dreaded fesh fesh.

Stage Results.
Simon Pavey – 64th - 02:25:11

Overall Results.

Simon Pavey – 79th - 16:00:03

Remember the latest photos can be found HERE or by pasting http://www.simonpavey.com/galleries/ into your browser

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #258
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,934
dakar youtube videos stage 6

videos of stage 6 from the dakar youtube channel:

Stage 6 - Car/ Bike - Stage Summary (Arica Calama)

Stage 6 - Interview SAINZ / LOPEZ -- Car / Bike

Stage 6 Top Moment -- Arica - Calama

Stage 6 Beauty Shots -- Arica - Calama
Old 01-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #259
PackMule
love what you do

Stage 7 Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
Stage7 Calama-Salta hitting the heights

There will be two separate bivouacs in Salta for the car/truck and bike/quad categories. However, all the categories will tackle the same 218 kilometre special stage. The climb up the Andes Mountain range will take place early in the morning as the link stage takes a convoy of the riders and crews up to a record altitude of 4,975 m, reached at the highest pass in the whole of Argentina. On the special stage, the altimeter will be reading between 3,400 m and 4,462 m. Another important figure is the one indicated by the thermometer: in this season and at the highest altitude there will be an average temperature of 15 degrees. The biggest difficulty will reside in how to manage effort as well as tiredness, whose effects are accentuated day after day. The suspense is still total two days away from the rest day, because the car, bike and truck general standings are still only made up of small gaps and mechanical problems, driving errors and bad luck still could throw a spanner in the works for the leaders between Chile and Argentina.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #260
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Hi guys
Im so far behind now, i will need a marathon night to catch up.
Went to Burry Standers funeral yestersday.
He was our grestest mountain biker and was killed on a training ride.

If you look at the in car pics from Giniel De Viliers he has a pic of Burry on the firewall behind his head.

Anyway here is the email from Ingo's wife

Hi everyone

I have to say before I start this update... I haven’t, in the 3 Dakar’s EVER heard Ingo so down during his call... it’s amazing how it automatically effects me- very emotional and i have drawn a blank on what to actually tell you guys...let see.

After a long connection stage early this morning, ( 04h30 their time) .. they were all off- Ingo in 57th ( yesterday’s finishing position) with the time changing yesterday for them.. they all only had about 3 hours sleep.

@ the start there was 28 bikes out
29 cars
7 quads
7 trucks
As i write this.. there is already 34 bikes
38 cars
9 quads
8 trucks out of the rally right now... totalling in 89 that have fallen out of the rally-not even half way into it.

Ingo called.. and I expected my chirpy happy dude.. instead I had a frustrated...irritated unhappy one.
His exact words were “ fu*k it.. what a Sh*t stage.. from start to finish- what a F*ck up- not my kind of racing at all- it was flat out tracks.. guys could do 160km.
He got stuck behind a quad and just couldn’t pass.. it was so dusty- that he felt it was too dangerous to even attempt it. He says there were stones all over the stage- once hitting one and almost going over the handle bars
Talking a bit more.. i could hear he was in to much of a “temper “ to talk.. so we ended the call.
He called 5min later- apologizing.. i could feel his emotions over the phone.. he is bursting with frustration.
He finished 62nd today... making his overall 52nd. Its not bad AT ALL.. but can understand his frustration- if you know you didn’t finish for the day, where you would have liked to.

Tomorrow night is the marathon stage... where all the competitors, do not meet up with their service crew at tomorrows biviac...taking with them, only what they have on them for the night.
they will all sleep in one big tent (with apparently no mattress’s or sleeping bags) they will be given – a towel..soap...poncho...beanie ( its coooold there)
Therefore –a lot of bike prepping and once over’s need to be done tonight to make sure the bikes can ride for two days –“service free” For instance... new tyres.. new chain.. new fuel filters... oil filters.. ( you bikers reading this- know the drill )

Tomorrows stage takes them from Calama to Salta.. over the Andes mountains... with 586km being the connection and 220km actual racing. The special stage will start at an altitude of 4975 metres on top of Argentina’s highest mountain pass. During the actual race- they will deal with the altitude ranging from 3400 metres to 4000metres. I remember the guys talking about this, when they were here training... guys feel sick... loose energy...
Ingo is prepped with warm snow gloves... and a balaclava for the ride. If you remember – last time he rode with plastic bags over his hands ( he is moving up in the world)

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 05:24 AM   #261
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetid_swamp View Post
just went for a quick search for a highish qual photo of riaan 40 SA in the bulldust:

and found a number of other good pics worth sharing:
(mostly afpgetty?) mods. if too heavy a post, feel free to mod/delete/other

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #262
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Getting a Malle Moto list roughed out... Please let me know if I'm missing anybody obvious or included somebody who shouldn't be there.

I think I am missing lots of them although I'm searching "malle moto", "trunk bike" etc on www.dakar.com. Many of the rider entries aren't translated or they don't necessarily mention "Malle Moto" in the bio.

#48 Hans-jos Leifhebber
#67 Marcel Snijders
#69 Hugo Payen <-- Need to confirm if he's Malle Moto
#93 Henno Van Bergeijk <-- Stage 3 Withdrawal
#107 Craig Bounds
#112 Yannic Guyomarch <-- Stage 3 Withdrawal
#122 Eric Palante (50th birthday in Santiago!)
#127 Nicolas Boyer (XR 400!)
#132 Richard De Groot
#143 Esteban Smith
#147 Robert Van Pelt (19 years old!)
#175 Boldbaatar Damdinkhorloo <-- Stage 6 Withdrawal (I think he was Malle Moto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post

I miss Meoni
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerj View Post

The first 1:10 of this still gives me goose bumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Si Pavey tweet

So is away on time at 0512. He now enters the marathon stage, no assistance tonight, he does get to sleep in a gymnasium and on a mattress

sounds like he is aware of the new Hollywood factor

Pyndon '13

PackMule screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 05:34 AM
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #263
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Dakar
Francisco Lopez started the special stage at 10.10 AM local time. 218 km lie ahead of him, on the first timed section on Argentine soil on the Dakar 2013. The first 136 km of the special stage will take place on earthen tracks before a more rocky section leading up to the finishing line.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 AM   #264
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Meoni.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
Terribly miss Meoni and oft wonder what he would have said about the Dakar as it is run today ?

for guys who want to see the KTM 950Rally pictures and some videos of Meoni riding balls out etc can head to this thread over on Orange Crush.

Hijack over.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 05:54 AM   #265
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Before it gets busy, note these broadcast times:

France4 @ 1840 CET, 1240 EST

Eurosport2 @ 1830 GMT, 1330 EST

Eurosport1 @ 2215 GMT, 1715 EST

France2 @ 0020 CET, 1820 EST

That ought to be close to accurate, though yesterdays times on Fr2 got pushed back 15 min or so. It's been my experience that european sporting coverage is flexible, not on a rigid schedule like north american coverage. So don't be surprised when it's not on when they say it's gonna be on. It will be, once they've finished their espresso and chatted up the new intern.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #266
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Michael Guy MCN on the ground report of Stage 6 (while we wait for the special)

includes Pavey, Poskitt, Boundsy etc

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #267
Flood OP
F5lood.

We are receiving reports that #106, young French Dakar rider Thomas Bourgin was killed this morning on the liaison after colliding with a police vehicle.

Our hearts go out to his family.

RIP Thomas.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #268
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
This stage is FAST. Most overtaking posssibility are before Wp2, with some navigation. Half way to Wp3 it goes to a rough double track that follows a spectacular valley. At times this track is very fast with badly rutted and washed away section that may catch the unaware, but at other times its is very bad with numerous stream crossings, lots of rocks. Near the end there is a diversion up another road that takes the rides well above 3,300m again, before a descent back to the main road down a what looks to be a very rough river bed.

Noteworthy is that the bike will not have any opportunity for assistance after the special, the last time they can see an assistance truck is just before the SS.

Here you go.

My long section (bear in mind altitude is very smoothed on Google earth and therefore much less precise)

Their Long section - close enough.

Their map (decidely imprecise)

Our map (blue Liaison/assistance routes, Red for the Special) Not many other options availible unless they are off piste. I think its reasonably close.

Zoom in on the first part of the stage

Aerial view looking South east from the Ass towards the finish

Some photo from the area:
On the way to Wp1

Between Wp2 & 3 (it may be a little wet at this time of year)

View of the 2nd half of the SS

The final loop up to altitude in the WP5 area

Aerial view back toward the DSS from the ASS. There route might cut a loop earlier over the second ridge on the right, but I could not find a track there. Old photo maybe.

Some pics of the valley descent

Near the top 3,800m

On the loop near Wp5

Final descent to ASS

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #269
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
for all you truck fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
As far as I know, noobody uses electrical regulation, it would be too complicated. Husqvarna runns a small fuel tank in the middle of the bike, where internal pump is. Honda for sure runs the same as stock, (unconfirmed) I cannot see why they would risk anything else when stock pumps on CRF's are near indestructible.

I spoked last year to KTM about EFI, as far as not pushed by the regulations (in 2015 will not be possible to license carburated bike in Europe) they will keep the carb. There is one protoype of good old 450 RR engine with EFI in the department, build only for testing purpose, but I doubt they will ever use it, as this 450 engine platform is dead now and only RR uses it. They know that for future smaller bike will be required and the only logical solution will be EXC platform with EFI.

But I am with you, carb works like a charm, only that bloody south American fuel gives me wrinkles every time the bikes comes back from there and I forgot to drain carb bowl before. That "liquid" can eat up all the jets, when left untouched for a few weeks.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #270
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by stteve View Post

Pyndon '13
Closed Thread