Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #286
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Caselli, Pain, Lopez & Verhoeven are 1st to 4th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatria View Post
Despres +13m8s @ASS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Pain in the ASS. Caselli's victory is secure!!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #287
Flood OP
F5lood.

Overall positions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
overall
1 009 - PAIN Olivier (FRA) YAMAHA 17h28m17s +00:00:00 --:--:--
2 007 - LOPEZ Francisco (CHL) KTM 17h34m23s +00:06:06 --:--:--
3 010 - CASTEU David (FRA) YAMAHA 17h34m54s +00:06:37 --:--:--
4 011 - FARIA Ruben (PRT) KTM 17h37m59s +00:09:42 --:--:--
5 001 - DESPRES Cyril (FRA) KTM 17h42m24s +00:14:07 --:--:--
6 018 - PRZYGONSKI Jakub (POL) KTM 17h49m00s +00:20:43 +00:05:00
7 006 - SVITKO Stefan (SVK) KTM 17h53m08s +00:24:51 --:--:--
8 029 - CASELLI Kurt (USA) KTM 17h56m03s +00:27:46 --:--:--
9 017 - BOTTURI ALESSANDRO (ITA) HUSQVARNA 17h58m35s +00:30:18 +00:15:00
10 092 - ISRAEL ESQUERRE Jeremías (CHL) HONDA 17h58m52s +00:30:35 +00:12:00
11 003 - RODRIGUES Helder (PRT) HONDA 17h59m49s +00:31:32 --:--:--

not looking good for helder
if faria din't wait 14min the other day...

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #288
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
Despres' stage finish continues to plummet with each rider that finishes....showing down to 34th at last look.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #289
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
Guys,

I know I skipped 20 pages (basicaly the stage itself) but looking at the WP times important stuff happened between DSS and WP1.

Not only Ruben did not wait for Cyril (wich is logic, but contradicts Faria's declarations yesterday) but also Caselli overtook Cyril Despres.

So, are these the new team roles? Despres gets watercarrier Pedrero and Faria gets Caselli? Am I mixing the tables? Have you guys seen this are you too focused on the mug thing?

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #290
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Quinn congratulating Kurt on Twitter - and he also has the marathon stage in mind:

@quinncody

Awesome job @kurtcaselli stage 7 win insane 72mph average speed!! How's that tire look? #marathonstage #dakar2013

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #291
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Go Kurt!!!

Last year on the marathon stage, the WC were riding very slow to preserve tires. In fact, I caught Faria at one point.

Another angle to the team rules thing, it's to equally as good for a manufacturer to have any of their riders win. They spend all year building a brand around someone, to have another rider, even on the same bike wreck that branding exercise is not desirable.

With that said, I hope we see fresh blood on the podium!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #292
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
dakar com on despres

(google translate)

The French, who finished the day at 13'08 and lost a few places in general has suffered a gearbox problem. It could not select its fifth gear, which in this special high speed was very penalizing.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #293
Flood OP
F5lood.

Kurt:
Quote: It's good, I mean, today was easy. It was just roads, there was no off-track or anything – pretty easy to follow. Ruben and I had to stop a little bit for Cyril. I don't know why, he had some problems with something. I waited for him but he told me to keep going, so we've come here and hopefully we can figure it out tonight for the marathon stage. Everything for me was fine. I'm learning the navigation better and I can understand it. This is my first Dakar so I'm just learning a lot. I didn't have any idea what to expect when I first came here. It's fun and I'm enjoying it. The race is great and the people are too. I'm having a good time.

Pain:
Quote: It's sure that with Cyril's problems that gives me a significant gap for the lead, and that's a good thing for me. That's just part of racing, but I'm not forgetting that it could happen to me too, so I'm not getting cocky about it, especially since Cyril has the capacity to claw back the time he's lost... So, I'm not getting ahead of myself, I'm just going to carry on like this without taking risks and enjoying myself. Today I just concentrated on my own race. With the injection system, I knew our bike wouldn't suffer too much from the altitude, so it's all been fine... I'm still in the lead, so overall it's been a good day.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #294
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Awesome job updating the Cliff Notes today, Flood! The inmates thank you!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #295
Flood OP
F5lood.

dakar.com
Cyril Despres has just notified that he has broken down 133 km along the link stage, just around thirty kilometres away from the bivouac. Apparently, the Frenchman's bike has completely stopped responding. He is having to repair by himself, because he cannot rely on his assistance team during the Marathon stage for the bikes and the quads. These two categories are in a different bivouac to the cars and trucks, and the riders are on their own.

dakar com
The KTM rider's GPS is now signalling that he is on the move and is heading towards the bike/quad bivouac, located near to Cachi, at a moderate speed.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #296
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
So while we all wait for Cyril's Angels

I thought I would show you a couple of pics of the town where they are bivouacing tonight. Seems like quite quiant little town, City boys wont like it at all but it seems cool to me. Its called Cachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Gotta love modern technology...I get a text from a rider from Bolivia via a Mexican phone asking for results about where he finished up in a race in Argentina, all while sitting at a desk in the US. What a world.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #297
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Tomorrow is another long stage:

Starting with a short connection of 19km, then the special starts @ 06:40 local time

WP1 @ 28km
WP2 @ 53km
WP3 @ 83km
WP4 together with CP1 @ 143km
WP5 @ 168km start of neutralisation
refuel @ 174km
refuel @ 287km
WP6 @ 288km end of neutralisation
WP7 @ 299km
WP8 @ 312km
WP9 @ 339km
WP10 together with CP2 @ 374km
WP11 @ 397km
Finish @ 492km

After this there is another 228km connection to the bivouac, all together 739km in total

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #298
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Lubricants and some tools are available at the Marathon Bivouac.

My guess, based on pretty much nothing, is that either:

a) He will miraculously have the parts needed to fix if it is possible to do without splitting cases. No penalty, no other rider inconvenienced, we can all make conspiracy theories until we are blue in the face. I find this most likely.

- or failing that -

b) He will do a motor swap with a lower placed KTM rider not near contention for the podium. In years past, there has been some serious horse trading for better tires on marathon stages with low placed riders, I see no reason why there would not be for an engine. I suspect that the fast parts are mostly in the top end, meaning they can make a used customer motor fast at the rest day without incurring a penalty.

I do not think he will take a motor from someone who is in contention for the podium (Faria) both because it doesn't make sense strategically, and also because that motor has been ragged on hard.

Interesting race!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #299
Flood OP
F5lood.

No endless quotes now, just a short recap for those of you following the cliff notes;

We know Despres lost a huge amount of time on today's very fast stage with a broken gearbox, unable to shift to 5th gear. Faria and Caselli stopped shortly, but were waved on.

On the liaison to the marathon (=no assistance) bivouac, Despres was stopped again for about 10 minutes and was then able to continue.

From Bluebull's Google maps above we know that this year, the assistance, car and truck route is different from the bike liaison to the rider's bivouac. Conspiracy theories are spilling over, with even David Knight on twitter stating that "Despres' bike will be miraculously fixed tomorrow, don't you worry".

Despres could swap his engine with Faria's or another KTM engine tonight, but both riders would get a 15 minute penalty and another 45 minutes if they swap for a fresh one tomorrow.

Of course KTM knew for hours that CD hat gearbox problems so they could have sent someone out to the liaison where he was stopped for 10 minutes to work on the bike or hand him parts and tools for tonight. Or they could take the most obvious approach and just swap race numbers with Faria's bike...

As I said, conspiracy theory overload in Team F5 tonight.

Apart from us keyboard jockeys, here's what Neduro has to say about, yes, Trannygate:

Quote:
Lubricants and some tools are available at the Marathon Bivouac.

My guess, based on pretty much nothing, is that either:

a) He will miraculously have the parts needed to fix if it is possible to do without splitting cases. No penalty, no other rider inconvenienced, we can all make conspiracy theories until we are blue in the face. I find this most likely.

- or failing that -

b) He will do a motor swap with a lower placed KTM rider not near contention for the podium. In years past, there has been some serious horse trading for better tires on marathon stages with low placed riders, I see no reason why there would not be for an engine. I suspect that the fast parts are mostly in the top end, meaning they can make a used customer motor fast at the rest day without incurring a penalty.

I do not think he will take a motor from someone who is in contention for the podium (Faria) both because it doesn't make sense strategically, and also because that motor has been ragged on hard.

Interesting race!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #300
Flood OP
F5lood.

We've been waiting for inmate 690RR to add to the drama, someone who really knows a thing or two about rally engines. Here he is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
This thread is still moving faster than one can possibly read, so perhaps this is old news :

Just got off the phone with Ullevålseter from bivouac, Despres lost his fifth gear, and hasn't found it yet :)
So 99% it means end of Dakar for him. There is no legal possibility to repair this, to open gearbox on RR, engine must be opened and inside of marathon it is just not possible. He cannot change his engine for Faria's as well, it would be good for nothing and they have not enough tools out there anyway.

RR's gearbox is sometimes cranky, PAU's exploded this year in Egypt and Coma took his last year at day 13 in Dakar as all of you remember. Since Coma accident KTM developed stronger gears (we have them inside as well) but apparently something went wrong.

With PAU's Egypt engine, side teeth on third cracked and destroyed half of gearbox, so there is little chance CD get anywhere near San Miguel tomorrow. If he cannot kick in fifth, definitely something is there flying loose. Of course there is always possibility miraculously repair the engine along the stage :) but I doubt KTM would take a chance with all this attention at the moment. I can confirm big teams has done it before (simply rode out there to some coordinates and changed what needed), but cameras will follow CD too tight tomorrow to take the risk.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread