Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #301
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppo View Post
while waiting for confirmation about the engine swap, i was searching YT for some footage.
all this talking about CdP and winning the rally is kinda unimportant. have a look

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #302
Flood OP
F5lood.

First info came from Pyn that Despres was swapping engines in the bivouac. doyle got the info that Faria was the donor, then things changed, obviously someone got an offer he couldn't afford to refuse.

Team F5 exclusive info via Ullevalseter (=PAU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
CD is swapping with Dabrowski, taking 15 min both and of course 45 min tomorrow for both. Confirmed from PAU.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #303
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier View Post
I'm having some tough days, yesterday i broke the clutch at 100km from the end of the special and started having engine issues. Today was a disaster the bike has lost a lot of power and i hardly get to 115km/h which is really slow. Im very worried cos the spare engine i have has to be rebuilt, i have all the pieces but no idea on how to do! In some hours i have the last stage before rest day, hope i manage to get there.

Manuel L.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #304
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Okay so after all this drama class I contacted my insiders:

And I quote:
"Cyril is outside right now stripping his bike. They are only working on one bike at the moment, and Cyril is doing the work himself. He is flapping quite a bit so I decided to leave him alone to sort it out. "

Both my insiders knew nothing of Dabrowski's engine going in so I think that still needs to be confirmed.

Otherwise most of the riders enjoyed the fast stage, but have headaches from the altitude and are doing their road books.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #305
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
No one beats TEAM F5!!!!

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #306
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvlighthouse View Post
While we wait for the engine swap....

Some pretty good photos of stage 6 here: http://blog.derestricted.com/racing/...-enters-chile/

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #307
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
webventure stage 7

webventure.com.br photos up from stage 7. re-posted for your convenience over in the Dakar 2013 Media Thread.

(note: since there were aparently no bike photos from stage 6, some of these may have been from stage 6)

#18 - JAKUB PRZYGONSKI (POL)

#81 - EDUARDO ALAN (ARG)

#168 - LYNDON POSKITT (GBR)

#253 - RAFAL SONIK (POL)

#253 - RAFAL SONIK (POL)

#339 - SZYMON RUTA (POL) / LAURENT LICHTLEUCHTER (FRA)

#500 - GERARD DE ROOY (NLD) / TOM COLSOUL (BEL) / DAREK RODEWALD (NLD)

#500 - GERARD DE ROOY (NLD) / TOM COLSOUL (BEL) / DAREK RODEWALD (NLD)

tldr; re-posted for your convenience over in the Dakar 2013 Media Thread.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #308
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Pyndon's call from the Bikers' Bivouac.

Lyndon calls in after the first of two marathon stages (bikes spend the night in their own bivouac, no assistance crews for the duration of two consecutive days). It was a rough day for him, both physically/health, and mechanically on the bike, which luckily can be considered his first setbacks of the rally. It was also an emotional day, as a moto competitor was killed on the liaison to the start of the special. Godspeed, Thomas Bourgin.

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D09.mp3

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #309
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Dakar 2013, 7th Stage – Calama -Salta
802 km stage (500 miles) including 218 km of special test
Botturi in tenth place after the first part of the marathon.

The 218 km first part of the Dakar 2013’s only marathon stage, won’t be remembered by the riders as a particularly special one. The stage presented no particular difficulties other than the dust and a navigation-heavy first part, and saw the riders approach the race with a calm and prudent attitude. The special test, at between 3000 and 3400 metres sea level, proved to be a test in itself. Alessandro Botturi was the best of the Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain riders, taking tenth place, which could prove crucial ahead of tomorrow’s second marathon leg.

Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves, who set off from behind had to put up with an enormous amount of dust throughout the day. Both chose not to take risks. Joan finished a dust-filled day with very little overtaking, in twenty-first place, and Paulo came in twenty-sixth. Jordi Viladoms had a bad day at the office, when during the transfer he stopped at the Lama pass border crossing some 4500 metres above sea level, where for reasons of fatigue was forced to seek aid from a medical car, and was given oxygen. Jordi managed to restart and compete in the special. Matt Fish got back to the bivouac this morning after working on his bike in the neutralization zone yesterday, and headed out on the second special in the dark. Matt didn’t throw in the towel as he realises how important it’s going to be for his team-mates to have his support over the next few days.

Tonight the riders will camp out in Cachi, without the mechanics, and will thus have to do any work on their TE449RRs by Speedbrain themselves. They set off again tomorrow at 05.50 for another long stage, which is expected to be a complicated one.

The seventh stage of the Dakar has been marred by the death of the young French rider, Thomas Bourgin, 25, involved in a fatal accident during the long transfer. The Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain sends condolences to the family.

The second leg of the marathon from Salta to San Miguel de Tucuman is predicted to be the toughest stage of the entire Dakar 2013. A total of 739km (461 miles) including 492 special test, which will take the form of two separate parts. After the special there will be a 228 km transfer to the camp where the riders have their rest day on the 13th January.

Alessandro Botturi: “It was a fairly calm stage, even if it was very long. I didn’t take any risks and didn’t push too much, as we were at such a high altitude and it wouldn’t have been right to overdo things. Starting out tenth suits me fine for tomorrow’s stage as it’s an important one and I want to attack.”

Paulo Goncalves: “I tried to get past the slower riders who started ahead of me but it was really tricky. It was just too dusty and dangerous. I managed to overtake three riders, but then I decided it was better not to take any chances, and so I sat in behind the group.“

Joan Barreda: “It was impossible to overtake today in the special, because there really was so much dust. I took it easy as my hand was causing me problems and I didn’t want to mess everything up before tomorrow’s special. This evening I will take something for the swelling, because I want to be in good shape for tomorrow’s important stage.”

Result Stage 7:
1. Caselli (USA, KTM) 1h51m31s
2. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:01:23
3. Pain (FRA, Yamaha) +00:01:23
4. Verhoeven (NLD, Yamaha) +00:01:30
5. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:02:30
10. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:04:39
21. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:09:21
26. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:10:17
44. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:21:11

Overall Standings after seven stages:
1. Pain (FRA, Yamaha) 17h28m17s
2. Lopez (CHL, KTM) +00:06:06
3. Casteu (FRA, Yamaha) +00:06:37
4. Faria (PRT, KTM) +00:09:42
5. Despres (FRA, KTM) +00:14:07
9. Alessandro Botturi (ITA, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +00:30:18
25. Paulo Goncalves (PRT, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +01:38:08
44. Joan Barreda (ESP, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +03:47:30
139. Matt Fish (AUS, Husqvarna Rallye Team by Speedbrain) +22:41:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post

There's a "Classic" category in the Sonangol Africa Eco Race, in which the UMM of the old days took part; a Honda 600 XLM bike and two Porsche 911s, one of which won the rally in the eighties with René Metge at the wheel!

and that's just a taster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
from Faria Facebook

DAKAR 2013-7 STAGE - 01/11/2013
CALAMA - JUMP

Ruben Faria takes the 4th place overall!

The 7th Step who called Calama to Salta had a total of 806Km of which 220km of timed special

With the result of yesterday Ruben Faria was second to leave for special timed but soon stopped for two minutes waiting for Cyril Despres in order to continue to do their role Waterbearer but soon everything changed because Despres had a problem in gearbox of his KTM having asked Ruben to continue to race because nothing could be done to solve the problem. Thereafter Ruben imposed a strong pace managing to recover part of the lost time with the problem of Despres.

Delayed a bit this press to try to give more information on the strategy to Step tomorrow but nothing is set in concrete, what we can say is that the interests of the KTM / Red Bull will be first and will be the basis strategy for tomorrow.

Ruben Faria: "Despite my result obviously I can not be happy because the problem that Cyril had everything will be different from now. Today was a very quick step and easy to navigate. I had to stop to help but could do nothing Cyril and he gave me the green light to attack and tear. From that moment it was always recovering. Despite the altitude my KTM this perfect! Great bike! A hug for everyone "

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #310
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
Its a damn shame about the videos, not only are they promoting the sport for ASO but they were giving French TV channels some more exposure and a damn good rap for their excellent coverage. Most shows put access to their shows up on their website free of charge after the live broadcast so I think pulling them is a damn shame.

Videos are available on line here after the live transmission.

http://www.francetvsport.fr/dakar/videos
Quote:
stupid video of a neutralization fuel stop zone

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #311
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:

From Si Pavey, tonight' s sleeping arrangements
Quote:
I tried to translate a bit better than google

"This is increasingly dangerous"

(...)
On arrival at the bivouac in the municipal sports improvised Cachi, a tiny town in northern Argentina and framed in a beautiful valley on the right of the Andes that served as camp in yesterday motorbikes marathon stage, most pilots were unaware of the fatal news. But no one was surprised. "I have given more than a header and I've had more than a scare," said Joan Pedrero, sixth yesterday: "We're a number and in Dakar when it's your turn, it's your turn. This is becoming increasingly dangerous. All race days and every year I've wondered why I'm here. I guess I do it because it's my job and an adventure, "he added. "It's so high you have to learn to breathe properly, in that stretch we have been sleepy,because of height and tiredness. We all blinked at some point. And besides, was unlucky, "explained the Chilean Francisco Lopez also.

I was dizzy and I had to stop, "says Joan Barreda
There were those, even, who stopped to take a light nap, for fear of having an accident. It was the case of Laia Sanz and Marc Guasch: "I was giving headbutts and I saw that Marc was ahead of me and went off the road. We stopped three minutes and get some sleep because we were given just enough time for the link because if not, I would slept half an hour, "explained the pilot. "You have to go with 1000 eyes. Today we have more than 850 kilometers and many in height and it was new ... and I've had terrible, made me dizzy and I had to stop, so I did yesterday on the link: I fell to sleep until a truck I woke up, "Joan Barreda had.

The recurring question during the evening was: How old were you? 25 years?? His youth beat those who know they are risking their lives at every stage, but do not give up their passion and, in many cases, to their lifestyle. "It's a tough day," said the Frenchman David Casteau lamenting the news. "My backpacking (Romain Souvignet) was his friend. They were from the same place and got along very well. Is severely affected. It was his first Dakar, yes, but he had some great years. It's a shame. "

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #312
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Caselli Red Bull blog, today:

The first two days I really had no idea what to expect but still managed to get through it okay. Now its starting to click a little bit better in terms of finding my way out on the stage. I’m still finding it tough and its taking me a while to read where I am.

For the guys around me in this KTM Factory Team its second nature for them and they can do these things a lot quicker than me. Yesterday and today I just took some time to stop and read everything to see where I was at before getting going again.

The bikes in this race are travelling pretty darn fast and at the same time you’re trying to read your notes. Its very easy to hit a rock and crash so safety wise I just want to look after myself and learn as much as I can. Its tough because I have to be patient with myself. I want to go faster and push but I need to hold myself back while I go through this learning process.

It gets better all the time and the next few days should be good. Its still early in the race but I would like to be getting better times but also I’m happy that I’m staying in the race. I’m just cruising and when I get this navigating under control I think I’ll start riding a bit harder.

The atmosphere between the riders is kind of relaxed on the stage because you’re not just racing each other but also racing together against the course and the conditions. It’s the not the same intense and close racing you get in motocross or even the desert races that I do in the States. At the Dakar if you pass the guy in front of you need to be sure that you know where you’re going.

Interesting fact: Caselli is the first rookie to win a stage since Faria in 2006, where he won a stage on home soil

Quote:
Shorten the eighth stage of the Dakar as a result of climatic conditions of the territory argentino. The decision was made to organize the stage due to heavy rains that have hit the city of Salta, where the day starts.

Salta. - The Dakar organization decided to cut the first part of the eighth stage of the rally, between the towns of Salta in Argentina and San Miguel de Tucuman, due to heavy rains that have fallen in the last few hours.

Organizers sources told to Efe, that the route starts at km 288 of the stage, right after a stretch neutralized.

Thus, the stage will have a total of 183 kilometers. Then, the drivers will have 228 kilometers ahead of liaison to San Miguel de Tucuman, where there will be the rest day.

For the truck category, the stage has been paid in full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Wasn't on marathon day, but yes an entire SS was cancelled last year due to snow. A different day last year rains caused a shortening of stage.

Rumors is always that ASO uses weather to control attrition rate. Likely they do but sometimes itsfor good reasons...rain in a desert means flash floods in the terrain the rally uses.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #313
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

dakar FB photos stage 7

Inside the bivouac, whose car is this one?

[Fan Pic'] Fesh Fesh with Team De Rooy by larsje123.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #314
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

dakar.com stage 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
This is an extract from the official "social network" manager for the ASO/Dakar:
Rules concerning the use of the trademark DAKAR on your social networks (and websites in general):Except with the prior and written agreement from A.S.O, the name/url of your accounts/websites/mobile applications/pages shall not include the Dakar name and/or any of distinctive signs of the event. Only a Dakar section can be included within your website/mobile application and/or pages.

Rules regarding the contents of the DAKAR: Many unofficial video contents will be published. We ask you to share only materials you have rights on (i.e previous agreement with A.S.O.) and/or the official contents that will be posted on the official Dakar accounts. Please note A.S.O has the right to have every unauthorized contents you may publish or share removed from any platform.
They may not have liked the content, but they've made it very clear that no accounts may be named with the word "Dakar" set up. As far as flagrant contravention a twitter account "@DakarRallyRaid" is about as big a red flag as could be had.
does this mean that i'm infringing on their content policies by reposting the images that they're publicly posting on their own website?

i hope not.

with that said... LET'S POST SOME MORE PHOTOS!

Dakar.com photos from stage 6.

#351 - PASCAL FERYN (BEL) / TOM K.S. DE LEEUW (BEL)
#538 - EDWIN VAN GINKEL (NLD) / DANIEL BRUINSMA (NLD) / SVEN VOGELAAR (NLD)

#300 - NASSER AL-ATTIYAH (QAT) / LUCAS CRUZ (ESP)

#305 - JOAN (NANI) ROMA (ESP) / MICHEL PÉRIN (FRA)

#44 - PEDRO BIANCHI PRATA (PRT)
#272 - LAURENT DUVERNEY-PRET (FRA)

because the F5 NEEDS this information... the Dakar 2013 Media thread has everything they've posted today... over 100 images.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #315
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
8 168 - POSKITT Lyndon (GBR) KTM 22h00m04s +04:31:47 --:--:--
9 154 - BEAULÉ Patrick (CAN) KTM 22h45m10s +05:16:53 +00:30:00
10 051 - PAVEY Simon (AUS) HUSQVARNA 23h04m46s +05:36:29 --:--:--
11 033 - CAMPBELL Johnny (USA) HONDA 23h24m03s +05:55:46 --:--:--
12 098 - LUCCHESE MANUEL (ITA) TM 24h25m59s +06:57:42 --:--:--
13 107 - BOUNDS Craig (GBR) KTM 24h59m00s +07:30:43 --:--:--
14 150 - BELAUSTEGUI Luis (ARG)

These guys are incredible. The times of even the guys farther back in the pack are blowing me away. To think of how fast the guys in front are going is hard for me to imagine carrying for a hundred miles. What the stages seem to lacking in overall mileage they seem to be making up for in difficulty.
Jan looked whooped. I've felt like he looked. Sometimes that bike just feels Really Big and Heavy. Snowballed. Still, missing the fuel dump is a hell of a way to dnf.

I'm looking strong for a good ride tomorrow. Have to work, but its a recording babysit gig, and Les Troyens is a five hour opera, so I should have no trouble (knock wood) keeping up, I hope.

Going to be a very interesting day. Looking forward to Cyril get mad

Pyndon: