Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #331
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Lyndon. Top 10. Interview.

'Nuff said.

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D10.mp3

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #332
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
Just now got word from Chavo that he is in. 21 hours on stage 7am Saturday until 4am Sunday.

Finally got the bike started and got going again. Nearly had to abandon but got some help and a tow from Bolivian quad rider, Diego Martinez.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #333
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post

SALTA, ARGENTINA - JANUARY 12: Josefina Gardulski of Team Team Yamaha Chile takes a break after the stage from Salta to Tucuman was interupted by a flash flood during the 2013 Dakar Rally on January 12, 2012 in Salta, Argentina.

France's David Casteu gestures as he competes during Stage 8 of the Dakar Rally 2013 between Salta and Tucuman, Argentina, on January 12, 2013

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #334
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

KTM rider Cyril Despres of France competes in the 2nd stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally in Pisco, Peru, Sunday, Jan. 6, 2013. The race finishes in Santiago, Chile, on Jan. 20. (AP Photo/Franck Fife, Pool)

PISCO, PERU - JANUARY 06: Rodrigo Illanes of team Tarapaca Rally competes during the stage from Pisco to Pisco on day two of the 2013 Dakar Rally on January 6, 2013 in Pisco, Peru. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Husqvarna rider Alessandro Botturi of Italy, falls from his motorcycle during the 3nd stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally from Pisco to Nazca, Peru, Monday, Jan. 7, 2013. The race finishes in Santiago, Chile, on Jan. 20. (AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano)

KTM pilots Norway's Pal Ullevalseter (R) and Portugal's Ruben Faria compete during the 3rd stage of the Dakar Rally 2013 from Pisco to Nazca January 7, 2013. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen

KTM rider Jakub Przygonski of Poland, right, KTM rider Francisco Lopez of Chile, center, and KTM rider Henk Knuiman of The Netherlands, left, compete in the 3nd stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally from Pisco to Nazca, Peru, Monday, Jan. 7, 2013. The race finishes in Santiago, Chile, on Jan. 20. (AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano)

KTM rider Cyril Despres of France competes in the 3nd stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally from Pisco to Nazca, Peru, Monday, Jan. 7, 2013. The race finishes in Santiago, Chile, on Jan. 20. (AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano)

KTM's rider Cyril Despres of France competes during Stage 3 of the Dakar Rally 2013 between Pisco and Nazca, Peru, on January 7, 2013. The rally will take place in Peru, Argentina and Chile from January 5-20. FRANCK FIFE/AFP/Getty Images

PISCO, PERU - JANUARY 07: A Rider crosses the dunes during the stage from Pisco to Nazca on day three of the 2013 Dakar Rally on January 7, 2013 in Pisco, Peru. (Photo by Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

Stephane Peterhanzel and Jean Paul Cottret, both of France, right, overtakes Yamaha rider Gustavo Querales Malave of Venezuela, left, during the 4nd stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally from Nazca to Arequipa, Peru, Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013. The race finishes in Santiago, Chile, on Jan. 20. (AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano)

Husqvarna rider Paulo Goncalves of Portugal competes in the 4nd stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally from Nazca to Arequipa, Peru, Tuesday, Jan. 8, 2013. The race finishes in Santiago, Chile, on Jan. 20. (AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano)

Motorcyclists compete during the 6th stage of the Dakar Rally from Arica to Calama, January 10, 2013. Picture taken January 10, 2013. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen

France's Olivier Pain rides his Yamaha bike during the 5th stage of the Dakar Rally from Arequipa in Peru to Arica in Chile, January 9, 2013. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen

France's David Casteu rides his Yamaha bike during the 5th stage of the Dakar Rally from Arequipa in Peru to Arica in Chile, January 9, 2013. Picture taken January 9, 2013. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen

France's Olivier Pain rides his Yamaha bike during the 5th stage of the Dakar Rally from Arequipa in Peru to Arica in Chile, January 9, 2013. REUTERS/Jacky Naegelen

Riders gather to fill their motorcycle tanks during the untimed 7th stage of the Dakar Rally 2013 from Calama to Salta, January 11, 2013. REUTERS/Ivan Alvarado

A support vehicle crashes on a road barrier at the highlands of Chile en route to the Jama border crossing during the untimed 7th stage of the Dakar Rally 2013 from Calama to Salta, January 11, 2013. REUTERS/Ivan Alvarado

An alpaca crosses the road as drivers wait in their vehicles on the highlands of Chile en route to the Jama border crossing during the untimed 7th stage of the 2013 Dakar Rally from Calama to Salta, January 11, 2013. REUTERS/Ivan Alvarado

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #335
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
Caught a good glimpse of Patrick working on CDR's 450 on Eurosport - that was kind of neat.

One thing that I'd like to say, whether you like his racing strategies or not, or the way the camera catches his bandana in the morning light, is that Cyril Despres is NOT an Asshole (as was mentionned in an earlier post).

I had the opportunity to ride with him over the course of a long-weekend, had dinner and beers with him, chatted with him and his girlfriend over morning coffee, and just generally hung-out with him on the trail at rest stops and fuel stops and lunch stops.

All I can say is that if I didn't know he was an international motorcycle racing Alien, I wouldn't have known it by his demeanour. Completely unpretentious, generous with interesting conversation on other topics, and quick with humour - he was basically a good dude to hang with, as much so as any of the other buds I was hanging with that weekend (except he didn't slow us all down like most of my other buds do...ahem).

So, I wouldn't be so quick to judge the entire person, or his overall character by what you see in the media, or by whatever happens in the heat of a race. I don't understand why cheering for one person means you have to assisinate the character of another person based on what you see in of all places...on the internet!

Anyway...that's my $0.02 FWIT.

(BTW - I'm also not about to judge Marc Coma as an asshole either by what I see of his racing strategies, or of this public relations machine either...)

(rant off)

Hopefully I can get Pat to put a crow-bar in his schedule to call RallyRaidio tomorrow for some updates.

Madness

(fixed)

EMPTYF5IREHOSEGATE!!!

Have a good night guys - thanks to everyone for all of the mad updates and general craziness.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #336
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrys View Post
Not comment.
In spanish. Antonio VAlero, last interviewee describes in a few seconds what is the race.
">

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #337
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Here's the CdP engine grab yesterday.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #338
Flood OP
F5lood.

Stage eight: Poskitt secures first British top ten for a generation
By Michael Guy - Off road 13 January 2013 01:13

Lyndon Poskitt became the first British rider to finish a stage of the Dakar inside the top ten since the late John Deacon in 2001.

Full article here.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #339
Flood OP
F5lood.

Not so good news from Manuel, though:

Manuel Lucchese
38 minutes ago via Mobile

The situation is quite bad, the engine lost all its compression today was a nightmare for me to manage to pass some sections of the stage. I need to get the engine rebuilt if i want to have a chance to finish, i have the parts but have no clue on how to put hands on the TM engine.

/ manuel staff / GO MAN!!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #340
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Spectator video of Gordon/Walch. Should up in the next 10 minutes or so. I'm posting it now & going to bed.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #341
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Good morning everyone, so, while I catch up, Cyril's notes on yesterday:

After last night’s adventures Cyril Despres (KTM Redbull) received a hero’s welcome from his team when he arrived in Tucuman at the end of the marathon stage. And despite the stress and fatigue of yesterday’s late night, unassisted engine swap, he moves up to 2nd place overall 09’26 behind the leader. His team mate Ruben Faria completes the virtual podium and going into the rest day is third overall at 11’16.

Cyril Despres

“It wasn’t so easy last night. Already the decision to swap engines was a difficult, but once we made it we actually had to put the plan into action. You could see that the other riders were a little surprised when we started work! Some people say that the Dakar isn’t the same anymore, but I tell you last night was the real spirit of the Dakar. A big thank you to Marek Dabrowski and all the Orlen Team for the extremely generous ‘loan’ of their engine.

Today wasn’t so easy either. At one point we were supposed to ride in a riverbed, but we couldn’t because there was too much water in it. So instead we had to ride on the riverbank. The problem was that made the road book distances wrong. I was trying to recalibrate my trip all the time but when we came to a fork in the river I had a doubt. Finally I decided to ride back and check rather than take the risk. It cost me a little time but better lose a little time than potentially lose a lot of time.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #342
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,934
dakar.com stage 8 photos

Dakar.com photos from stage 8, re-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread. unfortunatly, not too many photos of the rain-gate / we canceled the stage because the cars were too afraid to cross the river... but pretty good photos from the stage either way. i'm sure more photos will follow once all the photogs slog their way back to the biovac.

#301 - GINIEL DE VILLIERS (ZAF) / DIRK VON ZITZEWITZ (DEU)

#146 - SJAAK MARTENS (NLD)
#171 - LORENZO NAPODANO (ITA)

#15 - FRANS VERHOEVEN (NLD)

#7 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ (CHL)

#139 - SERGIO MIGUEL PETRONE (ARG)
#126 - JUAN JOSÉ BARBERY (ARG)

#9 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA)

i also took the time to post up the dakar.com stage 8 hidden driver candids to the Dakar 2013 Media thread... only one that really bares mention at this time is this:

Jean-Claude Olivier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar.com
The bivouac in Tucumán has been shaken by tragic news from across the ocean. Jean-Claude Olivier, a former boss of the Yamaha France team, died in a traffic accident in France this morning. He was not only an iconic figure of the brand with the tuning forks, for which he worked for 44 years before passing on the baton in 2010, but also a witness and an active player in the history of the Dakar in several ways. JCO, as he was known, was one of the pioneers who took part in the first edition in 1979. His best performance was in 1985, when he finished just behind winner Gaston Rahier. Without neglecting his own racing career, his greatest successes in the Dakar came as a team manager, when he guided Stéphane Peterhansel to victory on six different occasions between 1991 and 1998. This man in love with rally raids later worked hard towards Yamaha's return to the Dakar, which became a reality in 2004 with David Frétigné on a 450 cc motorcycle. Just today, David Casteu took over from Olivier Pain at the top of the overall classification of the rally. They both symbolise the continuity of Jean-Claude Olivier's work over several decades.

The Dakar organisers, and especially David Castera, whom Jean-Claude Olivier once took under his wing, extend their condolences to his family and friends.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #343
Flood OP
F5lood.

Not so good news from Manuel, though:

Manuel Lucchese
38 minutes ago via Mobile

The situation is quite bad, the engine lost all its compression today was a nightmare for me to manage to pass some sections of the stage. I need to get the engine rebuilt if i want to have a chance to finish, i have the parts but have no clue on how to put hands on the TM engine.

/ manuel staff / GO MAN!!.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #344
Flood OP
F5lood.

From PAU FB:

Then we got the answer: there were 14 riders yesterday that did not come across the river. All these got fixed time 2h ​​10 m This means that PAU and the gang keeps the time that was stated yesterday. He stands now at 19 Place in the summary (one that has received a penalty). He greets from south America and use the day to rest. He promises full throttle the next few days :)

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #345
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardracer View Post
Manuel Lucchese

Aggiornamento via sms:
First problem solved, the bike wouldnt keep the mínimum because when we mounted back the carburator some days ago i mounted it wrong. We checked the valves and they are ok, the engine is not losing any oil so i need to figure out why the bike does not rev up well. Thanks to everyone that is supporting me here in the bivouac and online!!!

Ps. Big thanks to all the ADV Rider Forum guys for funding my mousse!! Without you i would of never made it through the Marathon stage!!

//manuel staff//

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread