Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalCCR View Post
2012 - 7 stages prior to Rest day
1. Despres 18:12:38
2. Coma + 07:48
3. Rodrigues + 49:39
10. Pedrero Garcia + 1:23:48
The first from Top 10 to change engine was Pedrero Garcia (stage 5 already), then Zanol (stage 8), Despres, Coma and Ullevalseter (stage 9), Rodrigues, Pain, Faria (stage 10), Villadoms, Farres Guell, Botturi (stage 11).
Svitko on 5th was the only one in Top 10 with the single engine, then Czachor on 13th place.
Gaps between Despres and Coma to other riders were big enough and engine change was part of the plan.

2013 - 8 stages prior to Rest day
1. Casteu 19:56:33
2. Despres + 09:26
3. Faria + 11:16
10. Pizzolito + 34:55
This year the competition is tighter and tenth Pizzolito was only 34:55 behind Casteu. The first 20 riders were within the same time variation as first 10 year before.
Botturi, Rodrigues and Despres were forced to change engine due to technical reasons. All the others stay with the first one for now.
It seems nobody wanna lose a good position with a 15-min penalty when gaps are so small.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #378
Flood OP
F5lood.

Bombshell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690RR View Post
This is again too long to read it all, so maybe old news...

CD is changing engine again. Fresh news from PAU. :)

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #379
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Dakar

He'd been waiting for a great day ever since the race started in Lima. And today was it! After starting the longest stage of the rally in 11th place, 24′26″ behind the overall leader, Cyril Despres delivered a virtuoso performance throughout the ninth stage, one which was raced on fast trails which put tyres and brakes to the test. The Frenchman went on the attack at the beginning, dosed his effort to preserve his tyres in the second part and then stepped it up again in the finale, grabbing his first win in the 35th edition, which is also his 31st career win, by 4′03″ over his closest rival, Joan Barreda. Despite an early fall, Husqvarna's Spaniard was the only rider who came close to challenging the Frenchman and finished second, 1′11″ ahead of teammate Botturi.
He wasn't the only one to fall, as the Yamahas can tell you! The overall leader in Tucumán, David Casteu, crashed into a cow when tackling a turn 120 km into the special! He set off with a dislocated shoulder, a leaky tank and the beginning of a nightmare stage for the man from Southern France, as he had to stop yet again 15 km before the end of the stage and saw all hopes of salvaging something in the overall go up in smoke. Olivier Pain's performance won't fill the brand with the tuning forks with glee either! The second-in-command of the Bleus also hit the deck several times today, losing about 32′ and slipping to sixth overall. It wasn't a good day for Chaleco López either, as he also took a tumble and lost over 16 minutes to Despres.

This crazy stage turned the overall on its head, with Cyril Despres' water carrier, Portuguese Ruben Faria, taking the lead 5′23″ ahead of his leader! Things just got much easier for the defending champion! Behind them, Chile's Chaleco López is still in third place, 9′06″ down, after a successful damage limitation exercise.

sorry if it's a repeat

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #380
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
How does it feel to start amongst your heroes in the first 10 on a stage in the Dakar? Pretty magical. Lyndon started 9th from the line in today's stage, ahead of such stalwarts as Cyril Despres, Helder Rogrigues, and Chaleco Lopez. Knowing full well that they would catch him on track, he rode his own ride, and was treated to a show out along the way. Kid in a candy store? You bet! It's a whole different world at the front end of the field. Grab a beer, and enjoy the tale!

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D13.mp3

---------------------------------------------

Public Radio fundraising notice:

Last year, through the generosity of the listeners, we were able to cover the cost of Neduro's phone bill for the communication costs to RallyRAIDio and ADVRider throughout the Dakar. If you've enjoyed Lyndon's call ins and interviews on this edition, consider chipping in a few $$, € €, or ££ toward the cause. Many hands make light work, and based on our experience with Ned last year, the tab will run handily into 4-digit territory (sans decimals). It would be wonderful if we could take this burden off of Lyndon's shoulders.

To be clear, Lyndon has not asked for this, and there is no expectation on my part or his that any part of the phone bills be defrayed (indeed, I suspect that he will not know that I've solicited donations until after the event is over). For those so inclined,

RallyRAIDio @ g mail . com is the RallyRAIDio email addy to which funds can be sent.

Thanks for your support.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #381
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post

Tomorrow starting with 37km of connection (with refuel) and then start of SS @ 07:45 local
WP1 @ 29km
WP2 @ 59km
WP3 @ 84km
WP4 @ 113km
WP5 @ 149km
WP6 @ 166km
Split course with cars @ 183km
WP7 @ 203km
WP8 @ 208km
CP1 @ 224km
CP3, refuel and rejoin with cars @ 230km
WP9 @ 243km
Split course with cars @ 258km
WP10 @ 277km
WP11 @ 304km
Rejoin with cars @ 326km
Finish @ 357km

Followed by 242km connection, for total of 636km

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #382
Flood OP
F5lood.

SS9 moment of the day: Pain topples over like a n00b. Good to see it happens to the best of them.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #383
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #384
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando_orange View Post
morning all... tough few days with lots of disappointment, missed waypoints, broken bikes, injuries and wasted time.... and that's just me!! was hoping to catch up on the rest day but delays and the necessities of trying to find a new job got in the way... day off yesterday so another chance to catch up after quickly making my bike ready for mot. only to find the missus had tidied away my keys! turned the house upside down trying to find them, texted and rang her, no answer... mucho frustrato! then i had work to do on the house... so to summarise, i'm still behind!! and she doesn't know where she put my damn keys!

but i'm almost there and i think i've got the most important bits:

- marathon stage was actually a marathon stage
- lucky cyril does have friends with engines and manages to swap in true alien style in 30 minutes with the help of his sonic screwdriver
- horrible noob mistake screws a lot of people on the soggy short second marathon
- cyril doesn't trust anyone and double checks so doesn't get caught out as much
- our lyndon decides he doesn't like getting his feet wet so gets out of the river, pulling some alien navigation skills to come in 9th!!
- bikes result stand
- cars get very soggy and times very messed up
-brodovitch still at the top of f5
- senegal gets all ASO on the ASO
- no one hates cyril anymore, but plenty still hate his bandana
- laia wears a bandana
- no one hates the bandana anymore
- CDP treats everyone to some fine riding on SS9
- pain doesn't
- casteu tries to make a hamburger and is out
- so is nasher all-at-ya?
- ss9 is looong and tough
- lyndon loves riding at the front

did i miss anything??

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #385
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
At 7.45 AM local time, Cyril Despres started the day's stage ahead of Joan Barreda and Alessandro Botturi. 357 kilometres against the clock await the bikes and the quads on a route different to the cars and trucks, even if the two routes include a considerable amount of shared mileage

See how long tracker takes to work

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #386
PackMule
love what you do

Malle Moto Ironman Craig Bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyuk View Post
some craig bounds pics from tamsin from the rest day and the start of yesterday, he looks a lot happier after getting some treatment and pain killers ..... not to mention tams being there

DSCN6376

DSCN6402

DSCN6379

DSCN6392

DSCN6399

Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #387
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Stan Watt & Tim Forman on yesterday's stage:

120kph crash and a dislocated shoulder for Stan Watt

The Crescent KTM and Front Row GB team of Stan Watt and Tim Forman both had dramatic days on stage nine of the 2013 Dakar after suffering spectacular crashes.

In a day that the majority of riders complained about severe dust, Watt had a huge 120kph crash in which he dislocated his shoulder. Thankfully his shoulder went back in on its own and the tough Irishman was able to grind out the remainder of the stage, finishing in 50th place. Due to the severity of the crash, Watt was initially reported to be out of the Dakar due to his injury, but continued to ride despite the accident happening only 120km into the 593km stage. Although 50th place is Watt’s second worst stage result of the race, he wasn’t the only rider having problems which meant he has actually moved up the overall standings to 29th position.

Tim Forman was also the victim of severe dust and quads. Having started in a lowly 83rd position he was unable to ride at his normal fast pace, but was still able to make big inroads, finishing the stage in 45th place, despite a crash. Like Watt he moved up in the standings and now holds 33rd spot.

Tomorrow’s stage will take the Crescent KTM Front Row GB team from Cordoba to La Roja with the organisers likening parts of the route to Ireland! It includes a total of 279km of liaison and a 357km special.

Stan Watt: “I had a big crash today – the best way I can describe it is like the Connor Cummings crash on the IOM TT! I had four quads in front of me and because of the dust they throw up it was so dangerous. The bike was flying and I’d got past three of them. I went for a pass around the outside of a fast corner and lost the front. There was a raised edge on the track and that sent me up into the air and then I dropped about 30ft, landed on a load of rocks and then came to a stop at the base of a tree. The bike had gone even further, but luckily there were some locals around who managed to get my bike out. It was a big hit, but I knew I had to get going pretty quick otherwise I would have seized up.

“The front of the bike was all bent - as were the discs - but it started up in about 10 seconds and I got on with it. Unfortunately it was only at the start of the stage so I had a fair way to go. Because there were so many trees, the dust was just hanging and the quads kick up so much it really was dangerous trying to make a pass. I must have been going 120kph when I went down, but it was my fault.”

Tim Forman: “I was going around a right-hand sweeping corner and there was a fork in the path with rocks in the middle. I realised I wasn’t going to make it so I laid the bike down and slid along the ground. I stopped and I could see the bike still sliding and I thought it had gone over the edge of a ravine, but when I got there the wheels were hanging over the edge and I was able to pull it back and get going again. I bruised the side of my right hand in the crash, but that’s about it. It’s really is so difficult to pass the quads on terrain like this, one went out in front of me when he broke a wheel and they also seem to pull over occasionally, but that was about the only way I could get past.”

Old 01-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #388
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Pain looks to be having a tough day. He's 5 min ahead on the piste from Lyndon, but Lyndon is over 3 min up on him in the stage standings. Lyndon is rolling his usual pace.

I'd guess that he hurt himself pretty good yesterday.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #389
PackMule
love what you do

In racing action, Barreda leads the stage at Wp9, but Despres has made enough time to be the leader of the rally, on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Morning all, not going to be able to follow today - Im all day at the doc.

From Casteu.fr
Mardi 15 janvier 2013 – Etape 10 : Cordoba – La Rioja

Ce mardi, David n’a pas pris le départ de la 10e étape Cordoba – La Rioja, ayant été contraint à l’abandon à l’issue de la 9e étape disputée lundi.
Ayant chuté après avoir percuté une vache sur la piste au km 120, David été blessé à l’épaule.

“J’ai les ligaments reliant la clavicule et l’omoplate arrachés. Donc cela devient très difficile pour moi de continuer à mi-parcours. Je suis très déçu pour mes partenaires et pour toutes les personnes qui sont derrière moi” explique David qui occupait la 1re place du classement général avant cet accident.
“Je reste sur place pour assurer mon rôle de manager dans le team en soutenant Romain Souvignet” conclut David.
Solidaire, Romain Souvignet a assisté David durant son malheur, c’est la raison pour laquelle le second pilote du team Casteu a perdu autant de places.

Tuesday, David did not take the start of the 10th stage Cordoba - La Rioja, having been forced to retire at the end of the 9th stage played Monday.
Who fell after hitting a cow on the track at km 120, David was wounded in the shoulder.

"I have the ligaments connecting the clavicle and scapula torn. So it becomes very difficult for me to continue to mid-term. I am very disappointed for my partner and all the people behind me, "says David who was the 1st place overall before the accident.
"I remain on site to ensure my role as team manager in supporting Souvignet Roman" concludes David.
Solidarity Souvignet Roman attended David in his misfortune, this is the reason why the second rider Casteu lost many places.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #390
Flood OP
F5lood.

Botturi just fell...

dakar com

Before the CP, Alessandro Botturi suffered a fall, but not a serious one, at the 140-km point on the special stage. He is now at the refuelling point where he is having treatment for bumps and bruises before resuming riding in the following minutes.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread