Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #391
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Cyril's blog, on yesterday;

Today was a hard 12 hours on the bike and I’m the lucky one because some of the other bikers will have an even longer day than me. It was a tough, tough day but I have been expecting it for six months now. I trained for the race knowing that there could be a day that comes when I really have to push.

I know this piste here in Cordoba from watching WRC races on television and I had the feeling it would be a track I would enjoy. Today I wanted not just to push but also to enjoy the day. Finishing the day with a stage victory is nice way to end a good day at the Dakar.

When you love your job like I do and things are going well for you then days like this are really special. What makes today’s result satisfying for me is that I didn’t win the stage by riding crazy and asking too much of the bike. I was sensible with my bike and I always felt I had another 10% in me to push even harder if needed.

On a twisty WRC track like we had today you need two things, a tough bike and strong legs. I was pushing hard on the footrest on every corner and there were hundreds of corners on the stage.

I have to thank my trainer who is from Argentina for helping to get me in shape to meet the challenges on today’s stage. Michelin also played their part in this stage win because I was asking my tyres some tough questions on the stage.

I also have my wings from Red Bull and the great tips I have picked up from going to their Diagnostics and Training Centre. I’ve been going to the Red Bull DTC in Austria for over two years now. During my sessions there it was decided that after a long day like today on motorbike I should warm down for 20 minutes on a fitness bike. People were looking at me like I was crazy when I started pedalling as soon as I got back to bivouac after 12 hours of riding a motorbike!

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 AM   #392
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian View Post
Laia and Zanotti (at last!) are doing fine, starting from the end of the bunch must not be easy! Also Manuel is keeping a good pace, let's hope to go on like this

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #393
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Morning all, not going to be able to follow today - Im all day at the doc.

From Casteu.fr
Mardi 15 janvier 2013 – Etape 10 : Cordoba – La Rioja

Ce mardi, David n’a pas pris le départ de la 10e étape Cordoba – La Rioja, ayant été contraint à l’abandon à l’issue de la 9e étape disputée lundi.
Ayant chuté après avoir percuté une vache sur la piste au km 120, David été blessé à l’épaule.

“J’ai les ligaments reliant la clavicule et l’omoplate arrachés. Donc cela devient très difficile pour moi de continuer à mi-parcours. Je suis très déçu pour mes partenaires et pour toutes les personnes qui sont derrière moi” explique David qui occupait la 1re place du classement général avant cet accident.
“Je reste sur place pour assurer mon rôle de manager dans le team en soutenant Romain Souvignet” conclut David.
Solidaire, Romain Souvignet a assisté David durant son malheur, c’est la raison pour laquelle le second pilote du team Casteu a perdu autant de places.

Tuesday, David did not take the start of the 10th stage Cordoba - La Rioja, having been forced to retire at the end of the 9th stage played Monday.
Who fell after hitting a cow on the track at km 120, David was wounded in the shoulder.

"I have the ligaments connecting the clavicle and scapula torn. So it becomes very difficult for me to continue to mid-term. I am very disappointed for my partner and all the people behind me, "says David who was the 1st place overall before the accident.
"I remain on site to ensure my role as team manager in supporting Souvignet Roman" concludes David.
Solidarity Souvignet Roman attended David in his misfortune, this is the reason why the second rider Casteu lost many places.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #394
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttle View Post
and in other news:

my "homeboy" and the only German - Ingo Zahn - is still running strong near position 93

his goal is to finish:

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #395
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Pyn motoring at wp8/CP2.

Manuel is moving along, too.

Another horrible stage for Jordi Viladoms, now shown 1h8 down at WP5. All kudos for a man used to running at the front end of the field. He's shown the Dakar Spirit in spades this year.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #396
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
And thus the day for the prima donnas ends. Masterclass riding for Le Patron today, opening the day and losing out only 1.15 to second starter Barreda. Tomorrow Barreda will open, and Cyril gets to play tactics, or just wait for Joan to make a wrong call on the navigation. Hint: remember the 1.15 difference, and contrast & compare to tomorrow

Faria slots into second overall, and the battle for 3rd overall is now being contested by Jakes closing in on Chaleco. This one is going to be interesting.

Botturi in 5th overall has a nice buffer of ten minutes to Helder in 6th, and is looking to retain it till the end of the stage.

There's your top 5, now to root for Lyndon, Beaulé, Boundsy, Watt, Luis, Laia and the other nuts

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #397
Flood OP
F5lood.

Quote:
And thus the day for the prima donnas ends. Masterclass riding for Le Patron today, opening the day and losing out only 1.15 to second starter Barreda. Tomorrow Barreda will open, and Cyril gets to play tactics, or just wait for Joan to make a wrong call on the navigation. Hint: remember the 1.15 difference, and contrast & compare to tomorrow

Faria slots into second overall, and the battle for 3rd overall is now being contested by Jakes closing in on Chaleco. This one is going to be interesting.

Botturi in 5th overall has a nice buffer of ten minutes to Helder in 6th, and is looking to retain it till the end of the stage.

There's your top 5, now to root for Lyndon, Beaulé, Boundsy, Watt, Luis, Laia and the other nuts

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #398
PackMule
love what you do

Overall after Stage 10:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
after stage 10

1 001 - DESPRES Cyril (FRA) KTM 30h47m04s +00:00:00 +00:15:00
2 011 - FARIA Ruben (PRT) KTM 30h48m41s +00:01:37 --:--:--
3 007 - LOPEZ Francisco (CHL) KTM 31h00m45s +00:13:41 --:--:--
4 032 - JAKES Ivan (SVK) KTM 31h05m25s +00:18:21 --:--:--
5 017 - BOTTURI ALESSANDRO (ITA) HUSQVARNA 31h11m29s +00:24:25 +00:15:00
6 003 - RODRIGUES Helder (PRT) HONDA 31h21m23s +00:34:19 +00:15:00
7 006 - SVITKO Stefan (SVK) KTM 31h26m26s +00:39:22 --:--:--
8 012 - PEDRERO Juan (ESP) KTM 31h27m22s +00:40:18 --:--:--
9 009 - PAIN Olivier (FRA) YAMAHA 31h34m06s +00:47:02 --:--:--
10 092 - ISRAEL ESQUERRE Jeremías (CHL) HONDA 31h34m10s +00:47:06 +00:12:00

15' penalty for Cyril, Botturi and Hélder

Kuba out Pedrero in (great stage for him 4th + 4'27)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #399
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Rider quotes on dakar.com

JOAN BARREDA
Consistency is the key

The day started with Cyril (Despres) opening the road. I thought I could catch him easily but he was quick. In the end, I caught up with him and we finished together. It was a lively stage and even fun before the refuelling point; it was a rocky, narrow track, like in endurance racing and very varied in the end. We enjoyed ourselves. I'm showing that I'm there every day and it's always good for experience. It's a shame I had problems with the bike at the start of the rally, otherwise I would have been at the front. Most importantly, I've never made any navigation mistakes. I've always been out in front at a good pace. I've been doing well on several stages, so I'll have to carry on like that. I believe that Marc (Coma), Cyril and myself are really quick riders. Of course there are other riders who are in with a shout, but they are often ahead due to racing circumstances: when there's a breakdown or a mistake. However, when you have to go flat out, you can see the difference. All in all, on this rally consistency is the key. I had a problem one day and that was it for me; but since then, everything is fine.

CYRIL DESPRES
Gaining in confidence and letting the racing do the talking

It's a fairly quick for a cruising pace, more like a speed boat. With a motivated Joan Barreda on my tail, you can't slow down. I managed to keep the pace. The bike again worked well and suffered less than yesterday. It's always nice to speed along over 360 kilometres without scaring myself. I'm in good form. The selective side is what makes the Dakar different and stand out in comparison to all the other rallies. There are physically tough special stages and a type of natural selection in relation to the level to which the machines and riders are prepared. Picking up seconds in the general standings is not the most important thing. What matters is making statements, making a difference, gaining in confidence and letting the racing do the talking. As a result, the general standings reflect that on paper in the evening.

PAULO GONCALVES
I'm going to try to win a stage

After the first week when I had mechanical problems and lost time on navigation, I set off in a good position today. Starting in the first ten, there is a lot less dust and it's more comfortable. I rode very fast and soon caught up with Ruben. It wasn't easy to overtake him because there was still a lot of dust. But I finished the day on the podium for the stage, so it's a very good day, all the more so since Joan won the stage, meaning there are two Husqvarna riders in the top three – it's very good. My personal objective was to finish on the podium, but with the electrical problems that I had, it won't be possible anymore. So, I'm going to try to win a stage. It won't be easy, but I'm going to try.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #400
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
And since we're talking about tomorrow:

Start with 256km connection with refuel, start of special @ 09:15 local
WP1 @ 22km
WP2 @ 47km
WP3 @ 75km
CP1 @ 84km
WP4 @ 109km
WP5 @ 134km
WP6 @ 159km
CP2 @ 175km
WP7 @ 182km
Finish @ 220km

Followed by 6km connection for a total of 482km

Note that the WP distances are estimates, based on the maps. If anyone has actual distances, feel free to share.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #401
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Rod Faggotter Dakar 2012/2013
Stage 10 was a rugged day for Rod. It was dust all day and extremely hot. He wore out rear tyre and completely wore out new brake pads in the front down to the metal. There was so much dust if you were behind someone you got stuck there, but he managed to come in 25th and still holds his ranking of 16th. All the Aussies did well today must be the dust : )

Quote:
Hondas's history of the Paris-Dakar rally 1981-1989

Thus, BMW realized an overwhelming winning percentage of four victories in the seven rallies up until 1985. In contrast, the Honda France Paris-Dakar team was simply unable to beat the BMW’s high-speed machine and also played second fiddle to the Cagiva’s machine with an L twin cylinder which made it first appearance in 1985.

In this way the Paris-Dakar entered into the high-speed age. While slightly heavier than single cylinders, twin cylinder machines could quickly reach maximum speed, leading to the evolution of high-speed racing. The rally itself also shifted from a competition mainly for amateur riders to battles between factory teams “going in for the win.”

Of course, Honda was the strongest contender for defeating BMW. At the compelling request of Honda France, the HRC Project Team was formed in the autumn of 1984 and, with the aim of “winning the 8th rally in 1986,” the development of a machine exclusively for the Paris-Dakar was initiated.

They won in 1986 (Neveu), 1987 (Neveu), 1988 (Orioli), 1989 (Lalay)
Quote:

Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #402
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
it seems that webventure.com.br is almost as backlogged as i was... nothing new from stage 8, only stuff from stage 9; almost feels like half of stage 9, not the whole thing.

#168 - LYNDON POSKITT (GBR)

#18 - JAKUB PRZYGONSKI (POL)

#30 - JAVIER PIZZOLITO (ARG)

#314 - BORIS GARAFULIC (CHL) / GILLES PICARD (FRA)

#302 - STÉPHANE PETERHANSEL (FRA) / JEAN PAUL COTTRET (FRA)

tldr; more in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.
Quote:

"Why am I here?"
800 km, six hours to repair the bike and a final day in the rain: it was the marathon stage Jordi Viladoms

"I ask for another day off!" Exclaims Jordi Viladoms on his return to the bivouac. It is the resting phase and the Dakar caravan has made stops in Tucumán is a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the amenities of a hotel. More if one has slept only three hours last night, more if two days before the stage lasted for 23 hours. As happened to him. "I slept 10 hours and would slep another 10, I'm exhausted," he concedes.

To exit at the next stage, that of day 12, which takes you to Tucumán, Viladoms experienced its longest stage of the Dakar, "the first in the ranking," he says, even though only two years ago he was lost in the desert, with the front of his bike destroyed without logbook, or GPS, and completed over 400 kilometers blindly.
This time, the bike began to fail very soon because yesterday thought they had broken the injection - and in fact it was an electrical fault; he moved from 5th place overall at the 18th. Depending on how you played the bike, this worked, so the problem remained unsolved. And his Husqvarna continued failing. He was pulling as he could, to no more than 70 kilometers per hour, so the step to cross the Andes was complicated: "The more time you spend, the more notes the effects of altitude sickness. And I had to stop because I was sleeping, "he recalls, also found on the way the place of the crash that killed Thomas Bourgin. "When I arrived right on the border and stopped to get my passport, the bike completely stopped," he adds. He had an injection parts, so believing that this was the problem, changed. "And the bike started. Too bad, because I thought I had solved ". Again.

At 40 kilometers of special the machine stopped again. "That's when I realized it was something serious," he recalls. And changed all the parts I had on me, which was a lot, because it was a stage that would not have assists. "Once started, then I got dressed, put on my helmet, ride 100 meters and became to stop." We found two policemen and two soldiers, who had a checkpoint near a church closed, and settled there with the family of one of these. He managed to make one kilometer and stopped again. Retested all parts. "And when he had been there an hour alone, I came back with "my little family", dragging the bike gradually exhausted because we were still at a high altitude." The satellite was not working, had no phone. Cars went by doctors and stopped to ask if I quit. No. That was always the answer. As the last passed still had about three hours to fix the bike.
In his makeshift workshop spent more than six hours. He sat, looked her up and down, I thought I could fail and get up to try. Thus again and again. It also gave him time to think, "What am I doing here, a team assembled in less than a month? What will I do if I leave, I'll take the Dakar caravan or come home? Too bad after all that we have suffered to get here! ". So, could make an emergency call: "Play all cables must be an electrical problem." They had gone off, doctors, policemen and , and he just stood there, armed with patience, began to play cables. Until he found. Just looked, it was damaged. There was not enough wire to make a connection. But he managed to fix it. It was after seven in the evening when dressed again, and slipped the helmet. It was about 3,500 meters in a valley surrounded by mountains, more brown than green, it was cool, and took his march.

His bike was working, but the problems were not over. At 60 km special finish a organizing car stopped him to insist that he could not continue and complete the link: it was raining a lot, would soon night and was dangerous. Yes, it was dark, and it rained a great time, but especially Viladoms completed. "What was the others for sand and dust, for me it was mud." A car waited for him at the end of the special. Do not let him make bond, but after such a demonstration of survival had organized an entire device to complete the stage. He was cold and soaked, 1 hour 30 in the night, but he made.
At Cachi, where the rest of motards were, gave all missing. He slept three hours. And when he appeared at the start of the special the next day, after another 300 km link, no one could believe it. He received hugs left and right. And step 750 completed: kilometers again. "I think just the adrenaline of knowing that could stay in the race kept my body alert those two days." Today is the 90th, 7 hours and 48 minutes of the first. But you can still get to Santiago.

NOW HE CAN'T

here in spanish

Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #403
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
LOng post warning... Riders quotes on Stage 10 from here

Joan Barreda:
"We started with Cyril (Despres) opening track. I thought it would be easy to catch, but he was very fast. I have finally reached its height and we finished together. The stage was animated. Even to the point it was nice to refuel, it is a very rocky track, narrow, very enduro and plenty of variety. I've enjoyed. I'm fine this every day and it's good to gain experience. It's a shame the problem I had at the beginning of the bike rally. It could be on the top. Besides, I have not committed any error in navigation. I have always been in front, with a good pace. It goes well in a number of stages. We must continue. I think Marc (Coma), Cyril and I are really fast. Of course there are other players, but often are at the head due to the circumstances, for a fault or error of someone. But when racing thorough, clearly see the difference. This rally must be very regular. I had a big problem one day, but since then everything is fine. "

Cyril Despres:
"I imposed a cruising speed rather high, almost speedboat. With a young and highly motivated behind Joan Barreda could not afford to slow down. And I did it. The bike has been good and has suffered less than yesterday. Above all, it is very nice to be able to run for 360 kilometers thoroughly without fear. I feel fit, it's true. The difference in the Dakar, and particularity against other rallies, is the screen. There really special physically strenuous and that there is a natural selection based on the level of preparation of the bikes and riders. The most important thing is not to think in recovering second overall. What matters is to score points, make a difference, gain confidence and become loose. Then is automatically reflected in the results in the leaves of the afternoon. "

Paulo Gonçalves:
"After the first week, which suffered mechanical problems and lost time in sailing, I am now in a good position going into the top ten, which is much more comfortable because less dust is swallowed. I have run very fast and I reached Ruben soon. It was not easy to overtake, because there was still dust. Still I climb the podium of the day so great. And besides, Joan has won the stage, so two Husqvarna riders get put us in the top three and that's fine. My personal goal was to finish on the podium, but with electrical problems I've had, it will not be possible. So I will try to win a stage. It will not be easy, but I'll try. "

Ruben Faria:
"It would be nice if the two arrived at the head in Santiago de Chile. The fifth Dakar Cyril and the third for me. But if the second term will not be sucked in by that office. I worked hard every day and that was the end result. Further work well. I hope everything goes well and we get Cyril win, that's the main objective. If I finish second or third would be great, of course. For me it's a dream. If it happens, great. Today I have not thought about qualifying because I could have disturbed. My goal was not to defend that position. "

Jordi Viladoms:
"I've tried everything, even other participant has tried to tow me, but the terrain was difficult and it was too risky. The assistance could not get here, so I have left no choice but to say goodbye to Dakar, much to my regret. I am calm because I was doing my job well and I have been brave. But there are factors that you can not control, such as mechanics. I feel mental and physically prepared, but it is clear that this was not my year. I learned a lot from this experience and has helped me to mark me the challenge of returning next year. I have not given up and I never give up now. I felt very clothed during all these days and I warmly thank all the people who have supported me since the beginning of this project, which was formed in record time but look forward. "

Francisco Lopez:
"The journey has been difficult. The last two days have been the special complicated, very stylish and less enduro, rally. It is harder to see and much technical work. But now we headed Fiambala and Copiapo and things will open wider. Today, like yesterday, came from behind and, therefore, I swallowed a lot of dust. But hey, here I am. Satisfied with the stage. The goal is to reach Santiago and do my best. Of course, any time something can happen. The engine ... We must be aware of everything. There is still a long way ... ".

Alessandro Botturi:
"I've been more or less until the third half of the stage and I was fine, but I hit a rock on a curve that has made me lose balance and fell. I've beaten strong my little finger and just hope it is not broken ".

Joan Pedrero:
"Today we were facing a stage with fast tracks under intense heat (should be about 40 degrees!). I wanted to make a good step and I felt very comfortable on the bike and then I caught a good rhythm. My intention was to get something else back stage today to not leave the first Fiambalá, but in the end I left room.
During the link my head and went to the dunes tomorrow. They start very hard stages, with navigation and high temperatures. Fiambalá dunes are difficult terrain and then we plunge in the Atacama Desert. We still have to suffer, but I feel good physically, and although we are adding stages notice that I am strong! More tomorrow! ".

Helder Rodrigues:
"Today was a very special variety with some winding roads and a very fast tracks with several hazards that were not marked on the road book. I think ninth out OK for tomorrow because there will be more technical and special mainly sand. "

Javier Pizzolito:
"I've been pretty slow for the dust to kilometer 100. Then I passed a couple of riders and I had a free hand to push a bit to the end, winning some seats. "

Johnny Campbell:
"I would have liked to be higher today because the stage was good. I like this kind of mountain slopes, very trail, but I've been suffering for the injuries that I did yesterday. And it has been even more difficult when I lost the bike to the front wheel patinarme while crossing a river. I wanted to climb something, but eight hours driving demand for a physical, if you are not 100%, you can pay it. And I had a lot of damage to my ribs ... ".

Gerard Farres:
"At mile 75 has begun to fail the bike, nothing serious, I just had to connect the rear fuel tanks, but it was a warning to me. The transfer has been feared as soon not finish the stage. Later I ran out of gas. But I want to emphasize that solidarity is amazing that you are in this race, not only with people of Dakar itself, but also with the public, they can not do enough for any of us. It is much appreciated, really. The downside is that I lost in the operation over 20 minutes. When you face all goes ahead, but you take off the head of race track in areas with poor land you pass through the dust. You see nothing and you have to slow down, which is what I did. I feel bad that we can not be higher for all the difficulties we're having, especially because the team is working hard and deserves more reward. On the other hand it is normal for things to happen to a bike that is fantastic but we could not test enough because of time before the Dakar. We are all learning a lot and so I'm happy. And also because I see that when we do not have any setbacks with the front. That means a lot. We must overcome the next two stages, I suspect very hard. Tomorrow will most likely be the most complicated of the Dakar, with lots of sand, dunes complicated, high altitude and hot, so we'll see what happens. "

Gerard Farres

Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #404
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
And from Cyril's blog:

I was taking my time to warm up this morning because there wasn’t the need to be as aggressive as yesterday. I was planning to use the day to look after the tendons in my legs and wrists but things quickly got boring for me.

It can be dangerous to relax too much on a stage because your concentration can start to wonder. You can start thinking about how things are home and if I have to do some repairs to the house. When thoughts like this start coming into my head during the race I know it’s time start pushing.

There was a section on today’s stage that was just for motorcycles and this part reminded me of my favourite parts of the Sardinian Rally. It was a really narrow and twisty track that came up and down the mountains. Last night there was a little rain in the area so the ground was great for sliding into each corner.

It was another demanding day at the Dakar but if I’m going to train so hard for this race I want to use every bit of muscle I have worked on throughout the year. On days like this I really feel like I get my moneys worth for all the training I do to prepare for this race.

I also had (Joan) Barreda catching up to me so it was fun to be racing against him and this was something else that helped me maintain my focus. I knew before the race that Barreda would be fast because he has a huge amount of skill on the bike. We talked at the refuelling and he said he was having trouble following my line because of when I was braking so maybe that’s something that comes with experience.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #405
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
@RallyTeamHRC Dakar Rally Race Report stage 10
Johnny Campbell
I have never been in so much pain as I am right now and having to continue 4 more days of Dakar. Believe me that I am living proof that God is strong in our weakness. I just completed over 600km in the deserts of Argentina and I have no excuse but I was carried thru by Gods mercy. The stage was actually amazing with fun roads and green grassy trails on a bike only stage. I wish I was full strength cause I would have liked to tear it up. Instead I was cautious not to get in trouble today because my body just couldn't have reacted quick enough. I think I was 21st on the stage. Tomorrows stage is going to be very difficult. Hot, and dunes in Fiambala. Usually known as a game changing stage. I just pray I have enough strength to push thru the sand.
Hope everyone is well.
Sincerely,
Johnny

Closed Thread