User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #406
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
No way to dance around it, Stage 10 was a tough day on the job for Lyndon. Things came unglued in a high speed corner resulting in a high side that banged up both bike and rider alike. Tomorrow is the famed (and oft dreaded) Fiambala stage, so hopefully they'll both be fully recovered. Rest up, Lyndon. We look forward to a happier call tomorrow!

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/13D14.mp3

---------------------------------------------

Public Radio fundraising notice: (Thanks to those who have already chipped in!)

Last year, through the generosity of the listeners, we were able to cover the cost of Neduro's phone bill for the communication costs to RallyRAIDio and ADVRider throughout the Dakar. If you've enjoyed Lyndon's call ins and interviews on this edition, consider chipping in a few $$, € €, or ££ toward the cause. Many hands make light work, and based on our experience with Ned last year, the tab will run handily into 4-digit territory (sans decimals). It would be wonderful if we could take this burden off of Lyndon's shoulders.

To be clear, Lyndon has not asked for this, and there is no expectation on my part or his that any part of the phone bills be defrayed (indeed, I suspect that he will not know that I've solicited donations until after the event is over). For those so inclined,

RallyRAIDio @ g mail . com (no spaces) is the RallyRAIDio email addy to which paypal can be sent.

Thanks for your support.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #407
PackMule
love what you do

From Patricia, #150, Luis Belaustegui's wife! Thanks for the update! - Sandi

Life on the Dakar is a permanent challenge for Luis Belaustegui. The Argentinean biker started the Dakar for the third time with the smallest engine in the field: a KTM 150cc. Although his adventure came to a halt during the 13th stage last year, he has not yet seen the finishing ceremony. His road to Santiago has again been full of pitfalls this year. Already penalised by a top speed that is much lower than the speeds reached by the 450cc bikes, he is especially exposed to greater mechanical fragility on the more demanding stages of the rally. To reach Cordoba, at the end of this edition's longest stage, the University Professor from Missouri in the USA had to call upon all his resources: “I'm exhausted,” he sighed on finishing in last place on the special, 19 hours after having left the bivouac in Tucuman! “Everything went well on the first part of the special, but after that, I jammed my engine. I spent between 5 and 6 hours repairing it. Seeing as I'm not a skilled mechanic, I took everything to bits and cleaned it, before putting it back together. And the bike worked. I was completely improvising, but in any case, my life is made up of improvisations”. Relieved at having passed this test with success, Luis is not at all reassured for the rest of the rally: “I've already changed the engine twice and I don't have a spare one. I don't know if it will go the distance. I'll have to talk with my mechanic to see if he can find me a solution, but I think he's going to hate me”. Between Cordoba and La Rioja, the machine withstood the test and Luis was able to “defend” his last place in the general standings. However, the dunes of Fiambala will not be kind to his little machine…

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #408
PackMule
love what you do

Fiambala retrospective

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Playing catch up...

Fuel will boil tomorrow. There can be no question.

Last year this was the most technical stage of the rally and also my favorite. Lyndon will most likely enjoy it as well. There was some fesh-fesh, some soft sand, and some tighter riding... quite enjoyable for the folks who don't like WOT across dunes. Navigation was not trivial but not terrible.

My prediction is a good day for both Kurt C and Lyndon tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Playing catch up...

Fuel will boil tomorrow. There can be no question.

Last year this was the most technical stage of the rally and also my favorite. Lyndon will most likely enjoy it as well. There was some fesh-fesh, some soft sand, and some tighter riding... quite enjoyable for the folks who don't like WOT across dunes. Navigation was not trivial but not terrible.

My prediction is a good day for both Kurt C and Lyndon tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
Fiambala has a legendary, and brutal, reputation on the Dakar. Tune in to hear how Ned's day went on this year's weather-shortened edition.

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/12D08.mp3

-------------------------------------------

LUDO from 2010:

Ludo Boinnard calls from the bivouac after a day that saw him presumably retired with mechanical problems. Fortunately time heals all wounds, in this case even mechanical ones, and he was able to complete the stage!

You'll remember this one forever, Ludo. We all will!

Ludo Retires (or at least he thinks he does) Direct Download ONLY: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/10D03.mp3

The later, the bike runs again, and he makes it through the special!!

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/10D05.mp3

------------------------------------

Don Hatton:

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidi...onDakarOut.mp3

-----------------------------------------

Garry Connell:

Direct download: http://traffic.libsyn.com/rallyraidio/ConnellOut.mp3

Pyndon '13
Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #409
PackMule
love what you do

Cliff notes updated from F5irehose through here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post20495233

Pyndon '13
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #410
Flood OP
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Carlos' wonderful overall standings visualization is back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
I won't have the time to do it the following days, but this kind of representation helps me get a feeling of what's going on on the top 10 in a graphical way. If any of the noobs feels like doing this for the next stages, I for one would be appreciated

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 AM   #411
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
dakar.com stage 10 candids

also, as usual, there are quite a few "hidden" driver candids, posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread

tldr: candids from today start here: Dakar 2013 Media thread.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #412
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

dakar.com stage 10

Dakar.com photos from stage 10, which had quite a few water crossings... which is like candy to a photographer... almost every photo in the gallery right now is a water shot. :LOL. i've put them all in one place in the Dakar 2013 Media thread for your enjoyment.

#315 - ROBBY GORDON (USA) / KELLON WALCH (USA)

#3 - HELDER RODRIGUES (PRT)

#12 - JUAN PEDRERO (ESP)

#5 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP)

tldr: everything from today starts here: Dakar 2013 Media thread.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #413
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

dakar youtube stage 10

all of today's youtube videos are posted over in the Dakar Media Thread

Stage 10 - Car/ Bike - Stage Summary (Cordoba - La Rioja)
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #414
Flood OP
F5lood.

@hthondarally
it is raining at the stage, tricky for crossings. see what the organisation will do. Heat is completely gone.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #415
Flood OP
F5lood.

SS11, the hell of Fiambala is a go! Rain on the stage makes for lower temps and firmer sands, a godsend for the weaker riders.

The stage is shortened by 30km, there's lots of navigation and off-piste riding today and Ivan Jakes already took a wrong turn early in the special.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #416
Flood OP
F5lood.

While we are waiting, nice little write up on dakar.com about Luis..

Life on the Dakar is a permanent challenge for Luis Belaustegui. The Argentinean biker started the Dakar for the third time with the smallest engine in the field: a KTM 150cc. Although his adventure came to a halt during the 13th stage last year, he has not yet seen the finishing ceremony. His road to Santiago has again been full of pitfalls this year. Already penalised by a top speed that is much lower than the speeds reached by the 450cc bikes, he is especially exposed to greater mechanical fragility on the more demanding stages of the rally. To reach Cordoba, at the end of this edition's longest stage, the University Professor from Missouri in the USA had to call upon all his resources: “I'm exhausted,” he sighed on finishing in last place on the special, 19 hours after having left the bivouac in Tucuman! “Everything went well on the first part of the special, but after that, I jammed my engine. I spent between 5 and 6 hours repairing it. Seeing as I'm not a skilled mechanic, I took everything to bits and cleaned it, before putting it back together. And the bike worked. I was completely improvising, but in any case, my life is made up of improvisations”. Relieved at having passed this test with success, Luis is not at all reassured for the rest of the rally: “I've already changed the engine twice and I don't have a spare one. I don't know if it will go the distance. I'll have to talk with my mechanic to see if he can find me a solution, but I think he's going to hate me”. Between Cordoba and La Rioja, the machine withstood the test and Luis was able to “defend” his last place in the general standings. However, the dunes of Fiambala will not be kind to his little machine…

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #417
Flood OP
F5lood.

dakar.com

Ivan Jakes little detour left a trace and plenty of other riders have made the same mistake at the same place behind him. Indeed, at this specific point, Slovakian Stefan Svitko has been at a standstill for several minutes and seems to have technical problems.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 06:18 AM   #418
Flood OP
F5lood.

Caselli leads at WP4

Dakar.com

The American is in top form today and has come through the main portion of dunes in front, with a lead of 18” over Hélder Rodrigues, 2'17” over Juan Pedrero Garcia, 4'05” over Paulo Gonçalves, 4'32” over Alessandro Botturi and 5'36” over Cyril Despres.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #419
Flood OP
F5lood.

dakar com

Hans-Jos Liefhebber, No. 48, is stuck in the small section where many of the riders got lost at the beginning of the special. The Dutchman has been at a standstill for 40 minutes following technical problems. British rider James West is also halted in this zone after a fall that has led to a fuel leak on his bike. The situation is the same for quad rider Tomas Maffei who is suffering from the same problem on the tank of his machine. A little further on, the Peruvians Bruno Chichiloza and Jacques Baron have also stopped together for an impromptu repair session.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #420
Flood OP
F5lood.

Caselli still in front!

dakar com

Not content with being the quickest on the special, the American has also taken over the position of opening the way for the pack of bikes, ahead of Cyril Despres and Joan Barreda. The positions on the tracks only partially reflect the stage positions, however, because whilst Kurt Caselli is indeed the quickest leading Juan Pedrero Garcia by 4'01" and Paulo Gonçalves by 5'16", Cyril Despres trails him by a little more than 7 minutes and Joan Barreda is 14'20 behind the American. Hélder Rodrigues, Francisco Lopez and Alessandro Botturi have not yet reached this point, so these positions may change soon.

Hélder Rodrigues has just achieved the second best time so far, 1'15" behind Kurt Caselli. Francisco Lopez is third, 2'06” behind the American. As for Alessandro Botturi, he occupies 7th place, 7'28" behind the stage leader.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Closed Thread