User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
F.P. OP
Clown who is sick

Oddometer: 386
ADV Panniers Max Weight?

OK, many of us use our bikes like SUVs and pack all sorts of shit on them. BMW says the panniers are rated to 10k, 22 lbs or whatfuckingever. I regularly take my dog Max for rides in the right side pannier. He weighs about 34 lbs....so yesterday we were riding along and I got all shitty sad thinking if that box falls off with my dog in it I am gonna be all out fucked. And I mean everyone - the wife, my three kids, the Pet Nazis, facebook, TMZ, EVERYONE is gonna blame me for wanting to take my goddam best friends (GSA and Max the Puggle) for a freaking ride to the dogpark. Yes, a dogpark, because around here you can't let your dog off leash at the humanpark. And he can't go off leash anyhow because some idiot decided to cross bread a Beagle and Pug, hence Puggle. And why a Puggle? Well, back in 2007 a human friend of mine suggested we by these BMW motorbikes and ride the Dalton Highway in Alaska. And I am thinking, wotdafuk, I'm gonna borrow $20,000 against my house and call it a 40th Birthday present to myself. So I did. And my buddy flaked. So I rode to Deadhorse solo. And it ruled, but while on my life affirming recapture of my manhood ride, my loving wife gets Max the Puggle and I am off in fantasy motorcycle world and can't stop her. So now I am ADVrider junkie just like YOU and I like to put on my Aerostich suit and XD helmet and put my dog in the box and ride 10 minutes to the fuggin dogpark. You think the box will fall off and kill my dog?
(my son at 8 years old)

F.P. screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 05:51 PM
F.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Sounds like a good 'ol country song.... Yah the box will fall off and if you are lucky will kill your dog cause then you can just take off to Mexico and live on the beach and drown your sorrow in a bottle of tequila.

Seriously, those BMW boxes with the "max ridiculous" weight limit and pop rivet tops that blow away in the wind... are notorios for falling off on the road.

Something about plastic cracking... imagine that.

Keep the dog safe. Buy aftermarket. Ride the Dalton and fight injustice at every turn.

"Ban the box"

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Why I went with Jesse.

Your dog is worth the upgrade.

* Disclaimer. Mine are the Odyssey 1. I don't know if the newer mounts are that strong.

hyena screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 10:12 AM
hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Osmin C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I wont comment on whether you should take your dog in the case or not because I dont want to be torn a new one by the inmates, but hypothetically speaking, this dog must not weigh very much. I have to assume the cases can handle the dogs weight and some.

I've not seen examples of system cases falling off, but I assume if its happened, its happened to someone that grossly overloaded their box or has had a fall that comprimised the integrity of the mounting points.
Osmin C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
ADV ones are the metal ones not the system cases (plastic) which would be really hard to put a dog in that was still alive

There is a thread where someone drilled a set pin through the box and into the rack to prevent the box from coming off in the event of a latch failure. You might do that.

I regularly run with over 30lbs in my small box. Never had even the slightest of an issue.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,558
I think the adventure aluminum cases are fine for 34 lbs. do you leave the lid off or did you drill holes?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
F.P. OP
Clown who is sick

Oddometer: 386
I am using the GSA Adventure boxes, all metal. Max the Puggle sits comfortably inside with the lid off. No need for a Jesse "upgrade" as I am not interested in bringing two ladies with me on a ride. FUCK THAT. The BMW boxes hold more that I should be bringing anyhow, they keep my stuff dry enough, and they lock.
I was just wondering if anyone has actually seen/heard of/read of a BMW ADV pannier falling off due to being over-loaded.
(my son at 8 years old)
F.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Pac_Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
That was an amazing OP, thanks for the smile. I don't have an answer for you, but the question was brilliant
2008 KLR 650 - Sold :(
AF&AM
Pac_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #9
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Since you asked so nicely

Here is one, no comment on whether it was weight related, rider error, or just that the cases suck but here you go.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854893

...varios suck.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.P. View Post
I am using the GSA Adventure boxes, all metal. Max the Puggle sits comfortably inside with the lid off. No need for a Jesse "upgrade" as I am not interested in bringing two ladies with me on a ride. FUCK THAT. The BMW boxes hold more that I should be bringing anyhow, they keep my stuff dry enough, and they lock.
I was just wondering if anyone has actually seen/heard of/read of a BMW ADV pannier falling off due to being over-loaded.
A quick google search revealed posts in BMWMOA org... advrider... bmw UKgser...etc etc... and two close friends of mine - have all had the stock - metal adventure bags fall off - due to plastic mounting breakage. With a replacement (under warranty) having the lid snap off when opened in some "wind" - bike not moving in a campground. I do not know about the varios.

I think they look cool but they are "to my mind" hopeless for the task.

Not only that the combined volume of the three bmw bags compared to just two jesse's is the same for less $$$.

I would be frightened to have them empty on my bike let alone with my dog in them.

But.... lots have not fallen off. I have Jesse's so maybe I am biased - and I love them. Absolutely love them.

As far as my experience goes - it seems from reading posts here that most all other aftermarket bags are a better, more efficient, more cost effective and stronger option.

But alas that is my opinion. They do look cool though.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,869
Just looked at my bags again... the only plasic is cosmetic.
The only way my bag is coming off is if the rack breaks or the latch fails.
I can't tell how good the lock mechanism on the latch is but I can say that the bike has nearly 54k miles on it and has bounced off the boxes several times. They are still on tight.

Varios aren't adv boxes
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

You are correct rhubarb.
I am not a fan of the ADV boxes myself. But that is just me....and alot of others who buy other brands...
Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,214
Not heard of the adventure side cases falling off. The topcase will eject off road occasionally, I've seen video of a R12GSA going downhill in rocky dirt and losing the topcase.

I have the adventure cases on my 09 GSA. Regularly overload a lot and no issues with lots of paved but rough road riding.

All that said, I don't believe it is fair to the dog to be sitting in an open case of any kind on a motorcycle, at least until there is a Shoei DogTech helmet, and a DogCrafter one piece suit available. The spectre of that beast flying past you untethered as you wipe out would be too Mad Max-ish for me. It's all between you, the Dog and God so do what works for you all.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
kellymac530
motorcycle addict

I saw that before.
Here in Lake Elsinore where I love we have the Elsinore GP {ala On Any Sunday} and in the late 90s there was a guy who would race it with a dog on the tank. That dog was awesome...we loved it, right up until he crashed bad right in front of us and a big crowd. The dog flew off and tumbled into the crowd. He was so disoriented and scared looking for his owner. We felt terrible.

We all directed him back to the bike which had been picked up and he jumped straight up onto the tank and off they went...we cheered much less on the subsequent laps for the team.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #15
BeachMoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
I store tools, a pump, spare parts, oil, filter, extra gloves, etc..etc...in the left (the exhaust side) adventure box on my '09 GS. I have never checked but from picking it up I can assure you it is more than 22 Lbs or may be more than 30 Lbs. It has been loaded like that for the past 4 years and I even strap a dry bag to the top of it on longer trips. Never an issue in 40K miles.
1978 Suzuki 250TS
1982 Kawasaki GPZ 550
2007 BMW F800ST
2009 BMW R1200GS (Current)
BeachMoto is offline   Reply With Quote