ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
tilliejacques OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
The Carson National Forest, Camino Real Ranger District (south and east-ish of Taos N

X-post.
Urgent: Help prevent trail closures in the Carson!

The Carson National Forest, Camino Real Ranger District (south and east-ish of Taos NM neighborhood) has released (very quietly during the holidays) a “Preliminary Environmental Assessment…” that essentially closes all trails and roads in the entire district unless they already have a Forest Service designated number. This means closure of hundreds of miles of undocumented trails to motorized use.

Here's a map of the Camino Real district.

As I'm sure we all know, trails aren't documented because the area used to be "open unless marked closed" so nobody worried about marking a route as a trail but now FS is going "closed unless marked open".

If you have or know anyone who has GPS trail files for ANY trails within this area that you or they don’t want closed, can you please either post in my thread over on the "GPS Tracks Rockies" subforum (linky here) or email directly to Mark Werkmeister for NMOHVA mark.r.werkmeister@intel.com.

Or if you have an ancient 1986 FS map with the cover like this below, can you possibly scan it? Or let me know that you have it and I'll see what else might work.

NMOHVA is thankfully stepping in with their experience on these matters and I'll be forwarding the track files and map (if available) to them.

Comments to the FS are due January 12th so PLEASE post your tracks right away.

Thank you so much for your help!
08 Beta Rev3 125

tilliejacques screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 11:25 AM Reason: tried to correct thread title but can't, d'oh!
tilliejacques is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
For those not recognizing it, this covers all the great single track trails in the Sipapu area as well.

Paging retroone to the white courtesy phone!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,836
The full text of the document and maps of the travel routes for the alternatives is available here. The maps on the individual links are much higher quality than the maps included in the EA document itself.
Comments on the draft EA can be submitted by postal mail, email, and fax. Detailed instructions and contact information is included in the cover letter that is posted here.

For further information, please contact the Jack Carpenter (jdcarpenter@fs.fed.us) or Kathryn Furr (kfurr@fs.fed.us) at the Forest Supervisor's office. The office phone number is (575) 758-6200.
Don't delay! Send your comments in by January 12th!

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
trailwerks
Missing Two Wheels

Oddometer: 186
NMTrailboss and Gordy - I sent you a PM covering this subject.
trailwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailwerks View Post
NMTrailboss and Gordy - I sent you a PM covering this subject.
No PM received.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,311
NMT, that area has been somewhat under attack for quite some time, hasn't it? A lot of Texas folks ride that area, and it seems like I've heard that those trails are consistently being discussed for closure...more so than many other NM or CO locations.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
No PM received.
Forwarded the NMOHVA update to you and Gordy in case you didn't receive it already....

Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilliejacques View Post
X-post.
Urgent: Help prevent trail closures in the Carson!

The Carson National Forest, Camino Real Ranger District (south and east-ish of Taos NM neighborhood) has released (very quietly during the holidays) a “Preliminary Environmental Assessment…” that essentially closes all trails and roads in the entire district unless they already have a Forest Service designated number. This means closure of hundreds of miles of undocumented trails to motorized use.

Here's a map of the Camino Real district.

As I'm sure we all know, trails aren't documented because the area used to be "open unless marked closed" so nobody worried about marking a route as a trail but now FS is going "closed unless marked open".

If you have or know anyone who has GPS trail files for ANY trails within this area that you or they don’t want closed, can you please either post in my thread over on the "GPS Tracks Rockies" subforum (linky here) or email directly to Mark Werkmeister for NMOHVA mark.r.werkmeister@intel.com.

Or if you have an ancient 1986 FS map with the cover like this below, can you possibly scan it? Or let me know that you have it and I'll see what else might work.

NMOHVA is thankfully stepping in with their experience on these matters and I'll be forwarding the track files and map (if available) to them.

Comments to the FS are due January 12th so PLEASE post your tracks right away.

Thank you so much for your help!

Those maps use to be on billboards that were placed on FRs in the Carson. I took photos of several of them and print outs as trail maps of the area.
I use to have a lot of maps for the Camino. I might still have some stuff on my other computer. I did some digging and I have single copy of a one page map of the Camino. It's called Designated Motorized Use Trails 2003.

Also NGTI map #730 has all the trails in the Camino listed too.

Hair screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 05:11 PM
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
NMT, that area has been somewhat under attack for quite some time, hasn't it? A lot of Texas folks ride that area, and it seems like I've heard that those trails are consistently being discussed for closure...more so than many other NM or CO locations.

PM sent, Thad-----

Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post

I don't know that this area has been under attack for closure more than any other area in NM. There are many authorized and numbered trails in this area that have been used for years as well as many other trails the forest service considers un-authorized. It is going through the same Travel Management process as every other forest in NM (and other states). The issue here is that the Camino Real District of the Carson National Forest basically "snuck" their Environmental Assessment for the district out very quietly back on December 13th which started the 30 day public comment period. Problem was, NMOHVA and much of the public was not made aware of this release of the EA so at this point we only have until January 12th to submit comments to the Forest Service on this EA. Only those that submit comments can make appeals on the final record of decision.

There are also some issues with areas that were submitted in to the original Travel Management for open cross country travel areas for Trials bike use and they were all shot down due to the district stating the Travel Management Plan won't allow for this type of motorized use. We believe this is BS and as proof the local trials club (NMTA) has a riding area in the Santa Fe National Forest that has been used for permitted trials events as well as practice for over 30 years and IS included on the final record of decision for that district.

You are correct that this area (mostly the part of the Carson NF south of Taos and Angel Fire and in the Sipapu Ski Area) as well as the Cloudcroft areas of the Lincoln NF are used heavily by the folk from Texas, so if you guys like riding these roads and trails, help us all out and send in some comments!! (And join NMOHVA! )

Comments on the draft EA can be submitted by postal mail, email, and fax. Detailed instructions and contact information is included in the cover letter that is posted here.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
Forwarded the NMOHVA update to you and Gordy in case you didn't receive it already....
Thanks Magoo...
I received the NMOHVA alert, just didn't know if Mark sent different info. or not.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
burque magoo
master of disaster....

he probably did; I left him a voice message, and I'll forward any info to you & Gordy ASAP----

you riding tomorrow?

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
he probably did; I left him a voice message, and I'll forward any info to you & Gordy ASAP----

you riding tomorrow?
Yeah, we're doin' the trials thing at SY. Working on removing our old kiosk there for a face lift!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
burque magoo
master of disaster....

What time? Might have to make a run out there to "supervise"----

Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
What time? Might have to make a run out there to "supervise"----
More than welcome to join in! PM sent...