User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
drswift OP
DRSWIFT

Oddometer: 75
Question Riding gear recommendations

I'll be headed up to Alaska (BC, Yukon, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Valdez) end of June and most of July. Not doing Dempster or the Artic Circle.) Can't decide on which gear to take:
Option 1: Olympia Airglides (with the wp liners) and Gerbings for cold spells, and bring rain gear, or
Option 2: FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket and Pants and bring rain gear for the extreme weather.

I'm leaning to the Olympia for greater comfort range if it gets warm. Any suggestions (other than buying new gear).

'07 R1200RT
drswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
richardak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by drswift View Post
I'll be headed up to Alaska (BC, Yukon, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Valdez) end of June and most of July. Not doing Dempster or the Artic Circle.) Can't decide on which gear to take:
Option 1: Olympia Airglides (with the wp liners) and Gerbings for cold spells, and bring rain gear, or
Option 2: FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket and Pants and bring rain gear for the extreme weather.

I'm leaning to the Olympia for greater comfort range if it gets warm. Any suggestions (other than buying new gear).
I went the other way last July and ended up bringing two sets of riding gear. Option 2 from Fairbanks to Prince George and something close to option 1 from southern BC to Calif. It was kind of a hassle to have all the gear though I left the option 1 gear with friends in OR to be picked up on the way back. After the trip, I decided that, in the future I would just bring the mesh gear and if it's cold, use the Gerbings and/or the one piece rain suit.
My Blog
richardak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Brownie

Oddometer: 4,911
#1 I personally like liners and Gerbings
Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.
ThatGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
TxLoneRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by drswift View Post

Except for the trip from TX to FL in July/August I have yet to take a trip in the lower 48 where the Gerbings and good rain gear did NOT get used.

When I went to AK in '10, July/August I work Joe Rocket ballistic pants and jacket. The pants got warm in many places, and opened the zippers at the top for ventilation. The jacket, with the big air system worked well for the upper body. But several places, including in the lower 48 I had the Gerbing on full, and long johns on.

My preferred LD gear is a full perf leather jacket and semi-perf leather pants, with Gerbing and Triumph 1 piece rain suit (with a cord added in the pocket for the Gerbing). When I last fit into the pants I saw 40F -> 118F -> 35F in a 48 hour time span, all the time comfortable, all in the summer, between CO, AZ and CA !

Not to step on the toes of anyone with more experience riding in AK, but I would be prepared for 40F and rain.

IIRC first week of August, I had my Gerbing liner in when I rode into Valdez.

Have a great trip. If the stars align, I will be back up there this summer.

TxLoneRider screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 10:19 AM Reason: bad gramar
TxLoneRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Aerostich Transit

Completely waterproof leathers and a Gerbings liner. Merino wool 2 piece underware

Typical Alaska summer 35deg-70deg t-shirt and transit suit. If its cold and wet I use the wool and Gerbings

I'm in my third year with the Transit suit. Pretty simple nothing extra

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
fire-on-ice
schreck (1st ogre)

Oddometer: 74
Thumb

there might be better options out there.... but for the last five years, I wear firstgear kilamanjaro, gerbings vest and heated gloves if it works and is comfy there is no reason to change.
PS sometimes my toes get cold when it's snowing.

Good decisions are based on experience.
Experience is based on bad decisions.
"when in doubt, throttle out"
fire-on-ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,489
I'd go with #1 also, especially where you ae starting and returning from. I was up there in the first week of August 2 summers ago and we had temps in the mid to high 40's at night and in the mid to high 60's during the days. Maybe even more important than the Gerbings ( I did not take mine, with no regrets ) is good rain gear. Not sure if the W/P Olympic liners can stand up to some of the potential rain you might see. We had rain in the Turnagain Arm area, and especially from Girdwood to Whittier, like I have never seen before. Hell, we had rain everyday somewhere...some worse than others, but still rain

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Gezerbike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
drswift OP
DRSWIFT

Snow?

Even with the Olympia "waterproof liners" I'd still be packing our serious rain gear for over the top, if nothing else to keep the riding suit dry. Great suggestion all around.

Is snow a likelyhood in July?

'07 R1200RT
Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

I doubt it, but.........

depending on where you ride, and how you get there, you might see this

or this

or this

Second best part of the trip, next to the Denali Hwy. We flew out of Talkeetna and landed on Denali at 7,000 feet. Simply spectacular, and well worth the $ 265 it cost. This was on our first full day in Alaska.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Most 'waterproof' gear leaks, and liners suck. I'd personally lean towards option 2 with a rain suit and gerbings. Actually, I'd wear my Klim Traverse and Aerostich AD1 pants, but option 2 is closest to that.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #11
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
It's all about layers

The weather here in Alaska changes quickly. Elevation changes, weather changes etc. so bring it all.

Try this:

Base Layer: poly pro or similar
Good pants and Jacket: First Gear, Olympia, Klim......all good.
Electric Jacket (vest maybe) I have found that windstopper stuff works well. (I use a heated windstopper fleese jacket from aerostitch and love it.)

You can remove the liners as needed, plug in the heated liner when needed. Open the zippers if you need air flow.

I hate rain suits. If its plasstic your gonna sweat until it rips and leaks. Plus your gonna be taking it on and off 3 or 4 times a day on some days.

Gloves.....When the fingers aint happy nobodys happy. Oh and have a few pair. (my olympic rain gloves, $$$$$, but the best I have used.)

Boots: Good quality, treated with Sno-Seal or something similar. For extra rain protection buy a pair of Seal Skin waterproff socks or something similar.

Get some sort of fog free attachment for your face shield if your using a full face unit. (the pinlock anti fog on my Arai XD works great...Another $$$$$ suggestion.) I have tried all sorts of wipe on, spray on liquids. None work for very long.
If you wear glasses you may want to try some sort of anti fog solution on them-----good luck, and let me know if you find something that works.

Its just a matter of buy it, bring it, use it.

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

I brought my First Gear Ranier jacket with its' liner and that kept me warm and dry. I can't say that about my Darien pants, which, on the 2 days we had heavy rain, going to Valdez and in the Turnagain Arm area, my ass was damp. My goal was to bring just enough clothes to keep my load light, that's why over pants stuff works nice. My BMW Goretex gloves worked great, but remember to put the gauntlet part under your jacket sleeve, not over it. DAMHIK. Oh, when are you going to start the skeeter thread ?

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
drswift OP
DRSWIFT

A flight up to the Glacier is definitely part of the plan!

'07 R1200RT