User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 661
Grabbed the dragon by the tail

I met a fellow Strommer from my area on a V-strom specific forum and after a few involuntary dismissals on my part (unchecked PMs) we met in Travelers Rest, SC. He asked me what I had in mind and I said that I wanted a long ride in the mountains, hopefully along Hwy 28 to get familiar with the fun route to Deal's Gap. When he just said "sounds good to me" I figured I'd be a fun ride

Tim was a great lead guy. He kept the ride fast but not crazy, fun in the twisties and made a few stops along the way with interesting conversation. Here's one of them by the Chattooga River:

Report this image

Report this image

After the crossing of Hwy 28 and 64 it was all new to me (just got the bike first week of November). Had a nice lunch at a 50's diner in Franklin, NC but I kind of expected Tim at any point to announce that it was time to return. Instead he planned the trip to Deal's Gap. What an awesome ride to get there!!

Here's another stop:

Report this image

Once we arrived he encouraged me to make a run for it; instead I chose to follow him for a little while. We stopped to let a couple cages go ahead. After a couple minutes I decided to go first. Found the truck that was slowing us down on the side of the road and I swear he saw me and got going again in front of me, like at 20 mph When I had the first chance to pass him safely (though illegally) I did it Then I stopped at the Overlook amazed by the view

Report this image

There was a nice old man with a restored '75 Honda Goldwing. Pretty soon the re was a guy pulling over with a professional camera ready to capture every detail of the bike. Here's the bumblebee

Report this image

After a little while we continued downhill until we reached the valley. Since we needed to go back I decided that would be my "real" tail of the dragon run. As we were pulling over we saw a guy in a red sports bike making his run but he was gone before I could turn around

I got going pretty strong (for my comfort level at least) and after the overlook I saw the red ninja ahead of me. I thought I could catch up with him and realized how bad it could be if i were to loose focus in anyone of those 318 curves. I had to push pretty hard to get right behind him and even harder to stay on his tail. Peg scrapping on a Wee is a bit unsettling the first times

It was a fantastic ride, trying to keep my focus and not get distracted by the knee droppers on crotch rockets that at times were almost completely off the bike. Not to mention the supermoto riders who seemed to want to do it all on one wheel . Amazing skills those guys have!!

I finally got to the store and shortly behind me was Appalachian Rider coming down. Store closed for the season so no dragon sticker for me yet. Hey, I get to do it again! Here's the mandatory pic:

Report this image

Glad my Wee's fairings didn't end up here:

Report this image

Nor writing messages like these:

Report this image

Report this image

If I would've seen up close the red bike I was tailing before I started the chase, I probably would've quit

Report this image

We checked out the little motorcycle party scene for a while

Report this image

Thank you Appalachian Rider for the whole experience. My last ride had been in the tropics 15 years ago.

Not a problem. Came back to the mountains!!

Looking forward to future rides, even getting back home at 8:30 pm via the interstate

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories

trespalacios screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 05:11 PM
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Sounds like a good time was had and shared. Thanks.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 178
That is me on the blue Trophy!

It was me and the other three fellas in the parking lot with you!

Ha-so funny I clicked on your thread. I was chatting with you about your windshield on the big Strom.

Glad you made it home safe!
srelegante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
trespalacios OP
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 661
Hey I heard it was your birthday that day. Can't think of a better way to celebrate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srelegante View Post
It was me and the other three fellas in the parking lot with you!

Ha-so funny I clicked on your thread. I was chatting with you about your windshield on the big Strom.

Glad you made it home safe!

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote