ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Where are we riding this time of year? Locations, road names or GPS files welcome

I seem to be enjoying the KTM more recently - actually finding time and weather cooperating enough to manage some quick runs out the Middle Fork Road.

That said, it's the only place I know of, so its where I go - and while enjoyable, some variety might be nice.

I've been trying to collect GPS files, but man are they hard to come by for any trails around WA state. That or I'm simply looking in the wrong places. I do have a copy of Sound Rider's DualSport rides for Western WA, and just ordered the GPS files to match those rides, however.

Question is, am I missing something obvious that's handy-ish to the Kirkland area? Anything else out towards North Bend I should check out? Anything on the backside of Woodinville? Maybe out towards Duval, Carnation, etc.? Or do I need to head out around Goldbar, Startup, Index, etc.?

Obviously some trails will be snowed in this time of year, but that's fine - I can always turn around and explore again some other time. ;)
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Ditto, I'm in Redmond and also wondering where people are riding these days. I am hoping to head to Tahuya or Capitol Forest this weekend for lack of anything that is closer than an hour away.
81forest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
SportsGuy OP
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
I suspect we won't see any responses, sadly...

I can understand, why for a varieity or reasons, people are reluctant to share this information here. Makes it tough to learn where to enjoy this sport, but such is life - all part of the excitment of exploring I guess...
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
RicksterCDN
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Sad at the low / no response rate

I'm in the RedmonRidge area and was looking forward to anything posted that wasn't an hour or more away. My KLR has seen way more paved road for my first year of driving it. WalkerValey ORV and capital state forest has been the limit of it's exploration with my younger son. Had to trailer in as he's on a CRF80.

I'm more then happy to share anything I hear of on the east side up this way. Guess it will take some time. Maybe when the weather warms up a bit again we can organize a bit more of a co-exploration.

Rick
RicksterCDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
El Brad
Leave it long on top

Oddometer: 445
Thumb Everyone is over in "Racing" following Dakar....

What I did, bought a Benchmark map book for my state and started exploring.
If you are unfamiliar with Benchmark Books you can find them at Barnes & Noble
or other book stores/sporting goods stores.I prefer them over Gazetteer.

http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Roa.../dp/0929591836

Not sure about WA state but there probably is a thread going that is more specific
to your area, try posting there.
El Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,927
IMHO, the Washington Atlas and Gazetteer is better. However, this time of year, try the Moses Lake area, Mattawa... all more than an hour away.
if you want to head over, PM me... especially during spring and summer!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Answers will be limited because at this time of year there are so few decent dirt options that are not under snow or have some length to them. The key is to find lowland options and they are few and far between near Seattle. At least for public roads like forest and state lands which occupy more eastern and higher elevations, the low stuff is private. There are several paved routes however that are still worth a winter ride, I would not classify them as Dual Sport rides though. For example up to Big Lake on 9 and west over the the water, up any local hilltops, Whidbey Island, detour out the small roads that follow the beaches - both on Whidbey as well as Kitsap and mainland of Puget Sound. Look for road names like Marine View Drive, every area seems to have one of those.

If you are interested in paved routes, the world is bigger this time of year.
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote