Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #16
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Maybe it's a regional thing, but I search out these roads everywhere I go.
Also one of the joys of an adventure bike, where all that suspension travel pays off. Wings and Harleys need not apply
More by circumstance really. We'd left Pleasant Bay on Cape Breton and followed the Cabot Trail counterclockwise (preferred way I'm told scenerywise) and were making our way to Peggy's Cove all in one day. Figured we'd follow the coast and if not for failing to fuel up and GPS failure it would have been fine. We were fully loaded, hungry and getting tired. Didn't think we'd be all alone while doing so. Had we been Local and could pack light for a day trip (like you)we'd be all over that as well. As it was, we arrived well into the night, foggy, with my low beam burnt out. Most hotels were booked so we were forced to carry on.

Lessons to pass on:

Fuel up when you can rather than when needed if you don't know the area.
Pack food!
Never rely solely on electronics, carry back up maps also.
Extra bulbs. The GS's go thru'em at a stuid rate. Got that OP?
Call ahead for accommodations or get the "Shat" to find you something.
Our Roger's phones don't work in a lot of the Maritime areas. No signal.

We've been doing longer and longer trips together and learning as we go. She's a city girl. Likes the comforts. Baby steps. At least she has her own bike.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #17
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
Regarding the coastal roads I was just trying to advise the people what to expect. Mainly plan to take a lot longer and that the roads are not exactly highways. Some of them just dead end. Riding a motorcycle the roughness isn't that much of an issue but it was downright scary in my motor home, and I hated hitting tree branches on my windshield while still on the pavement. The negative camber in a turn in a motor home, followed up with a frost heave isn't confidence inspiring. Some of these roads would be better off graded up and left in gravel, the pavement is that bad.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #18
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
More by circumstance really. We'd left Pleasant Bay on Cape Breton and followed the Cabot Trail counterclockwise (preferred way I'm told scenerywise) and were making our way to Peggy's Cove all in one day. Figured we'd follow the coast and if not for failing to fuel up and GPS failure it would have been fine.
That is a fair trek in a single day indeed. Not that this is what you did, but a common error is to calculate travel time by distance (say being able to cover 100 km in one hour)...it just doesn't work that way, at least in this part of the world . I was just laughing the other day with a colleague about the Northern Peninsula of NL. Back a few years ago I travelled there for work a fair amount. My head office was out of TO and I'd get these calls, "could you swing up to St Anthony and check out...." They'd be looking at a map and think it was just a couple of hours run to to St Anthony from say, Corner Brook. Anyone who has travelled it knows better, particularly in Dec
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote