Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
GiorgioXT OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Cadore , a dirt week in the heart of Dolomites - Featuring Kimangao!

"It's a dirt(y) work , but someone has to do it"
Been some time since my last report, so better present myself

GiorgioXT, Italian, 50 years , 34 on a bike...

Dirk/Kimangao contact me asking if I'm willing to do a week ride on the Dolomites, looking for gravel and dirt roads ... more than eager , I immediately give an OK ,bragging also of "hidden gems" to be found ...

Since I'm currently in a "suspended state" regarding work - old work gone with the closing of big company, new one started but not already producing anything real - it's no problem taking a week away. The problem is that my bragging comes back to haunt me : I have to show something worth (and better new) to Kimangao - one of the most gifted photographers that I ever seen, and a rider with several dozens of riding and traveling years under his belt; worse again , He's back from 9 months of mediterrean sea circumride! ....

But I'm too old and lazy to let this overwhelm me , if Dirk won't like what I have to offer , could as well go f...k himself I will ride anyway!

Dirk choose the third week of July, that's ok for me - even if I got to tell him to arrive monday evening, since that monday I got to go to a fair in florence with my wife , that has a small shop.

the fair is dedicated to beachwear and lingerie.... with catwalks and models in the stands.

So I got to spend the remaining time before riding suffering ... you know , it's an hard work, but someone has to do it!

After the fair, rapidly back to Padova with the hi-speed train, load the DRZ - since the Tènèrè seized last week, and leave in the scorching hot of the summer in pianura padana ...
I got SMS from Dirk showing his route progress ... even if seems to me that or he got a lousy gps, or sciently choose the longest routes . Anyway, after a couple of hours I'm at my base, a small house near Tai di Cadore

Here seen in the last days of this March.

Dirk arrives very late, wet and cold since he got not only rain but hailstorms along the way , the home is empty but there's enough canned food to make a pasta with tomato and anchovies.

A good sleep awaits us - tomorrow will be the first day of work.
and tomorrow will arrive also some riding pictures plus maps to show the routes.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,373
In!
Old 08-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
GiorgioXT OP
Beastly Adventurer

The location and some history info

We will be riding in and around Cadore

This is where is located in northeastern Italy

And more in detail

Cadore has a very long and interesting story , you won't find any castle , because after about 1300 the people of Cadore liberated theselves from local feudataries rule and in 1338 founded the "Magnifica Comunità di Cadore" a self- ruling republic based on a written constitution "Statuti di Cadore" , in 1420 the Cadorini contracted with the Doge the inclusion into Venetian Republic conserving their laws and some privileges and survived until the end of Venetian Republic in 1797. Cadorini were then submised to the Austrian Empire , not so willingful, since they fought several times during the 1800 for their freedom (sometimes with exceptional results)
Nowadays is a region with a common identity and dialect/language , much less touristic respect other nearby areas mostly for the spread lenses and glasses industry , in europe historically born in the Cadore centre that form the bulk of activities.
Also for this, is rather underlooked and not so well known .

Now, I've annoyed enough you lot, so better to start with the actual riding...

We leaved home later than intended , because during breakfast we lost themselves in chat ...
the day was gloriously sunny , and we ride to Vodo di Cadore to take the Forcella Chiandolada road - one of the least known passes of Dolomites

Here the trace reported in Google Earth , the left one is Forcella Chiandolada to Zoppè di Cadore and the right diramation is to Malga Ciauta

Now a disclaimer about my pics - are all made with a iPhone : you can't go with a knife to a machine gun fight! and were mostly made to show the places but also the application, heavy work and concentration that Kimangao should put in its work to obtain his results... maybe He will chime in showing something .

Here the bikes in front of the Rifugio Talamini, rebuilt last year, thats on top of Forcella Chiandolada ,

They have transferred the old plate with the wood piece of the old wood shack (internet pic)

Dirk here, with Mount Antelao in the background.

The road is very steep at the start, and very windy, its most paved with some good part of earth/gravel , arrives in the small village of Zoppè di Cadore, thats upon the Zoldo valley, but since until last war wasn't connected with the much nearer Zoldo valley, it was part of Cadore , that's much far but easily reachable by mule paths and tracks - this is a thing that happen frequently , before 1900, the gorges and turrents were obstacles much harder and risky to pass respect mountains.

In Zoppè I show Dirk a beautifully restored/rebuilt water mill

And then back to the same road , yes because now that Dirk did the road, we go back to check the most scenic places to take pictures , and the work begins:

Place camera on tripod ...

Place bike in correct position to check focus and lights ...

The rest will follow.
Hope that I'm not annoying everyone...
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,815
Looks like a great ride.. and with Dirk's pics... it will be treat to watch
Old 08-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
GiorgioXT OP
Beastly Adventurer

An hearthbreaking loss

After taking some pics, we go back the junction and take the right, the road to Malga Ciauta

Malga Ciauta is an Agriturismo, they have a stable for about a sixty cows, and a good place to eat with the Mount Sorapiss in background

Unfortunately - they have just finished to pave all the road, before one of the more fun rides, thus the "heartbreaking loss" of title

Hee you may appreciate the former beauty in an on board video made by Beppe/Arancia , another friend of Pieve

http://vimeo.com/39346478
The deception for the loss of the dirt, will prevent me to stop there, so we decide to go to another Rifugio over valle di Cadore for the lunch, anyway Dirk find a suitable location for a shot

Even if not so comfortable .. the shot (that hopefully he could post) will worth the effort...

Then we are back to Valle di Cadore, where we take the old military road to Costapiana

Here you see in blue the gravel road that climbs nearly 800 meters of level in 8 kms..
The Rifugio Costapiana is in an exceptional scenic location -

It's a very good place to eat, so we felt obliged to put also the kitchen to test

For me "Tortelli di grano saraceno con ripieno di cervo" buckwheat ravioli with deer , Dirk choose the herb dumplings with local cheese

to finish with a slice of peach cake for me and raspberry panna cotta for him.

After the really good lunch , work is not finished ...

But clouds are arriving, and Dirk's not so happy..

After waiting some time in a peaceful setting , sitting on a bench of an old wooden shack , we let pass a rapid shower

The day is not finished.