Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 04:56 AM   #121
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
And the range on these cars is crazy, I got about 600 miles out of it. How far do you guys get with the TDI's

650 miles is average... more if you really want to take it past 'E'

A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:07 AM   #122
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
I log every tank.

For the first 50k my overall mpg was 37.5 and I tend to drive efficiently, as in using my time efficiently.

Love my diesels. Currently in the process of adding an 06 Liberty CRD to the fleet.
In the rare case that I drive my wife's Golf on a long trip I've noticed that MPG really changes if I "use my time efficiently." In an emergency trip from NH to NJ I got around 36 MPG, but on the way home I tried to keep it at 65 and got around 46 MPG.

My wife averages around 39-40 for her short commute, but that should go up after we move a little further from work.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 AM   #123
Motociclista OP
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 14,012
Wife went back to the dealer for a second test drive with my older son.
Got a phone call ... we bought one.

We decided to get the base model, she bought the top one.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #124
Motociclista OP
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 14,012
Thank you all for chiming in.

It was very informative and good to know all the stories.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #125
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,009
If any of you New England guys are interested I've got a set of four perfect condition '12 Golf TDI "Salamanca" 17 inch wheels with stock continentals that I'm going to part with. I traded the horrid GTI toilet seat rims for them but ended up settling on different wheels and they're just sitting around collecting dust.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #126
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
If any of you New England guys are interested I've got a set of four perfect condition '12 Golf TDI "Salamanca" 17 inch wheels with stock continentals that I'm going to part with. I traded the horrid GTI toilet seat rims for them but ended up settling on different wheels and they're just sitting around collecting dust.
PM sent.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #127
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
Lemme know if N&V doesn't want them.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #128
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_c_eckhardt View Post
Lemme know if N&V doesn't want them.
Damn, sleeping at the switch...
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #129
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,884
Quote:
And the range on these cars is crazy, I got about 600 miles out of it. How far do you guys get with the TDI's
I figure my 2003 Golf has a 17 gallon tank, with a ventectomy. The most fuel I have ever poured in at one time was 16.5 gallons, that was 45 miles past the low-fuel warning... and my best tank was a touch over 725 miles. But the old gray-hairs on TDIClub can get well over the 800 mile line.

We've seen as high as 48 MPG, and with 88k miles now, our aggregate running consumption is 39.8 MPG at an average biodiesel content of B52.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #130
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
Well I pulled the trigger last night.. 2013 TDI Sportwagen. Reading up on all the FAQ's on the TDI forums.. didnt know driving a car required a special college degree Ended up going with red.. but wish I had gone with black... OTOH if I had gone with black I am sure I would now wish I had gone with red Pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I plan on putting a trailer hitch on it, getting a lightweight aluminum 4x8 trailer and hauling a couple of dirt bikes around.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #131
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Well I pulled the trigger last night.. 2013 TDI Sportwagen. Reading up on all the FAQ's on the TDI forums.. didnt know driving a car required a special college degree Ended up going with red.. but wish I had gone with black... OTOH if I had gone with black I am sure I would now wish I had gone with red Pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I plan on putting a trailer hitch on it, getting a lightweight aluminum 4x8 trailer and hauling a couple of dirt bikes around.
Not a hard job at all (at least on my 03) Good little tower, but...if they haven't updated the rear suspension to fully adjustable, be aware that towing does have some risk of "rearranging" your backside.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #132
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,578
Quote:
The tdi forum does go a bit overboard sometimes. Those guys know the cars inside and out though. Half of the faq's for my car get ignored, I don't worry about the little stuff too much.

I keep saying I want to put a hitch on my 2002 jetta, still hasn't happened. Driving the truck about 400 ish miles tomorrow to pick up a klr, the hitch would have paid for itself on this one trip in fuel. Oh well. Let us know what you think of towing with it.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #133
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
The tdi forum does go a bit overboard sometimes. Those guys know the cars inside and out though. Half of the faq's for my car get ignored, I don't worry about the little stuff too much.

I keep saying I want to put a hitch on my 2002 jetta, still hasn't happened. Driving the truck about 400 ish miles tomorrow to pick up a klr, the hitch would have paid for itself on this one trip in fuel. Oh well. Let us know what you think of towing with it.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
yeah I also have a 2001 chevy 2500HD.. it gets 10-14 mpg.. that is why I bought the TDI.. I needed something for longer road trips.. not sure the economics really work out to my advantage.. but whatever.. It doesnt take much for me to justify spending money
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #134
Ritalin Boy
Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Who is the lucky dealer?
Ritalin Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #135
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
You guys were right about the mpg read out vs reality. I just went from MA to VA and while it was all highway I did get in a couple long sections of stop and go due to accidents and fog where visibility was down to a few car lengths on I81

34.4 indicated and working out the miles vs gallons used I got 32.5. Still not too bad considering this is with winter gas. I'm hoping the 5 cyl can get up to 34-35 real mpg in the summer with pure highway driving. And the range on these cars is crazy, I got about 600 miles out of it. How far do you guys get with the TDI's
That's good mileage. My SO has a "City" Jetta--a MkIV Jetta that they sold as a cheaper alternative to the newer style that had come out. It has the 2.0 litre and a manual trans. It'll rarely pull 30mpg on the highway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: