Anyone used these?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...MW-Motorcycles
PPiA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Short-Johnson
IBA# 34787

Oddometer: 128
yup !!

I put the Extreme on the rear and the explore on front, Wonder full suspension !! Money spent well. I had them tuned for two up and loaded with gear and now the bike sticks to dirt and pavement very well. Not even afraid to get airborn with my wife on the back bike handles it well !!
99 GZ 250
2011 WR450F
Short-Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
justinallen03
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
holy shit that stuff's expensive...I've never been let down by TT quality, and i'm sure they are good, but damn. I would look at other options too (Yacugar, Hyperpro, Ohlins, Elka, etc) before dropping that coin.

I went with the TTX and couldn't be happier (top of the line Ohlins for almost 2/3 the TOL TT prices)
justinallen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
They used to offer Ohlins several years ago and I hadn't realized they had gone this route. It does seem a bit pricey in regards to Ohlins. Hmmmm?
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
I have them on my 1150GS-Adventure. I just got back from a 5k trip down to Baja. They worked excellent for me. They kept the bike firmly planted on the ground on both slab and fun stuff. I went by Coco's corner in both directions and made a run up to Mike's Sky Ranch in Baja. The shocks really did a great job smoothing out the big hits. On my way south I came up on a pothole on Usal road that would have bottomed out the stock shocks. I tensed up and waited for the hit. The bike floated through the hole with grace with the Tractive's on it.

They get two thumbs up from me.
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Willie B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM View Post
I have them on my 1150GS-Adventure. I just got back from a 5k trip down to Baja. They worked excellent for me. They kept the bike firmly planted on the ground on both slab and fun stuff. I went by Coco's corner in both directions and made a run up to Mike's Sky Ranch in Baja. The shocks really did a great job smoothing out the big hits. On my way south I came up on a pothole on Usal road that would have bottomed out the stock shocks. I tensed up and waited for the hit. The bike floated through the hole with grace with the Tractive's on it.

They get two thumbs up from me.
Is Coco's corner the lengthy sand trap north of San Felipe? I wouldn't have an issue with heading up to Mike's Sky Ranch on a pig, but that run coming into the dump north of San Felipe had to have been hell on a GS? I've ridden Calexico to Cabo several times on XRs and CRFs. Way to go!
Willie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
JM
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
Is Coco's corner the lengthy sand trap north of San Felipe? I wouldn't have an issue with heading up to Mike's Sky Ranch on a pig, but that run coming into the dump north of San Felipe had to have been hell on a GS? I've ridden Calexico to Cabo several times on XRs and CRFs. Way to go!
Coco's corner is south of San Felipe. It's on the non paved road between Gonzaga Bay and Hwy one.
This is pic of Coco's Corner and a couple Washingtonians I rode with for 6 days.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
mudmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Way to pricey for me and I doubt if there any better than ohlins or Wilber's !
mudmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #9
staikosn1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I personally went with Hyperpros..
Far better than aaaall the others....
staikosn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
iride4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
On my GTL I went with Wilbers and they are great. Much better control then the stock shocks and springs. Also a lot cheaper then the Touratech.
iride4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #11
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
The marketing for these reads like they are for heavily loaded (beyond GVWR) off road long distance touring. As such that sounds like a narrow niche market, but maybe important for those who do that.

I have a hard time believing a shock that feels good with 500 lb payload off road will still feel good on pavement with no load. The laws of physics have not been repealed.

Some folks were popping up claiming they routinely broke high end shocks used like these are intended, if that is true and these don't break under same conditions then those folks should be happy to shell out the coin.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
JM
Studly Adventurer

On my last trip to Baja I rolled over a truck scale. 1000 pounds with me on the bike. That's 14 pounds below the max weight limit for a 2003 1150 Adventure. Truck scales read to the closest 50 pounds so I could be one of those over max load limit people.

The Tractive shocks worked great for me on that trip.

"Overkill doesn't fail"
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by staikosn1 View Post
I personally went with Hyperpros..
Far better than aaaall the others....
Personal preference. I don't care for their progressive springs or aluminum body.
I went with Yacugar, which is the same design, but with continuous spring rates and steel body...and a 16mm shaft vs. (I think) Hyperpro's 14mm. None of these things matter on the street, or with lighter loads, unless your weight varies widely. Then variable rate springs can be beneficial.

Also, I opted for Tract piggyback preload, with its 25mm range, rather than the typical remote 15mm.

It's pretty common for people to say "THIS" is the best, but really, that only means they're the best that person has had. Often they're the only aftermarket shock they've tried.
It depends on application. ALL of the aftermarket shocks are a huge improvement over the screen-door closer that comes stock in place of shocks on these bikes.

They're all good, and typically priced competitively for what each has to offer. I would exclude only the ones asked about in this thread. IMO, the TT shocks are the only ones where you're not likely to get your money's worth.(but they're still a HUGE improvement!)
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
M1Tanker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I've put quite a few more miles/kilometers on my 2008 R1200GSA since I installed a Touratech Suspension. All miles have been on the Autobahn (at higher speeds) and secondary roads, nothing off road yet. I've ridden with side cases and two up with all cases. The composure of the GSA is much better. I am satisfied with the system.

Here is the link to the original posting regarding the installation: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852291&highlight=Touratech+suspension
M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #15
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
I install mine on the 18th (f800gs).

At touratech germany where they also sell the öhlins they expained to me that öhlins are for heavier people since the tractive ones are made for under -100kg (or they need to put another spring in it.)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote