Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #211
Cousteau
...seeking adventure

Oddometer: 61
Meetup in Cartagena

Fritz,

Great to meet you in Cartagena. Have enjoyed reading your report the last few months and during your prep. Safe travels home.

Cheers,

David
Facebook
Twitter: @2wheelchronicle
Cousteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #212
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25jack View Post
Great read...you have helped me very much in my own preparation. Will be doing a trip South this late summer/fall with an unknown destination. I like Baja so much that could not resist doing it again. We paraglide on the sand dunes on the beaches there and it is to much fun. Ship that gear home from La Paz or pick it up later.

How did the open source GPS maps workout for you?

What was the best place you saw? Fav country? How was Uruguay?

While it is fresh...What would you do differently?

I admire and understand your doing this trip solo.

Cheers.
the GPS source maps worked out great. absolutely invaluable and 95% reliable for navigating in and out of the big and medium sized cities. worth their weight in gold, but then again, they are electronic and don't weigh anything...

best place i saw? rethink the question - that's impossible to answer with so many amazing places. i really liked argentina alot - the people, the cities, the high andes passes to chile. uruguay - ok. some nice beaches. it's a pretty small place and maybe a little boring for culture and scenery? (sorry uruguay).

i'll be working up and posting the changes to my riding gear very soon. other than having too much stuff, there's not a lot i would do differently.

riding solo is more my style. i can be a bit of an anti-social loner at times. i don't like 'group decisions'. but when i'm feeling social, it's very easy to find people to hang out with in cities, hostels, or just about anywhere. i'm not opposed to traveling with someone, but that is what i needed to do this time.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #213
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

medellín vs. atletico nacional

sunday, april 28, 2013

one of my main goals on this trip was to experience a football match (it's not soccer here) in a major south american city. because the season was not yet started when i was in the south (brazil, argentina, chile), i haven't had that opportunity. however, i got info upon arriving in medellín that a big match was occurring. the stage was set for a huge rivals battle between the two major teams in medellín - medellín (red/blue) vs. athletic nacional (green/white).

ticket, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

i was lucky enough to spend some time with fantastic people at the hostel in medellín. antony from london. hong and suzanne from the netherlands. tamara from australia. steve from ireland. lisa and julien from germany. and caroline and danielle from sweden. and many others. as well as cooking and eating some meals together, 8 of us headed to the big game together.

team internacional, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

el viajero hostal, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

we rode the metro to the stadium and got off the train with all the green fans. the red fans would continue to the next stop. as mixing the groups is not wise unless you want a lot of fighting. we secured some tickets off the street for the section at centerfield, in a 'neutral zone' between the greens and reds. this section was protected by policia on either side - effectively riot police numbering in the hundreds. there was an enormous police presence at the game. we went through three separate checkpoints where they patted us down for weapons. i had none, and was allowed to attend.

pre-match, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

que for match, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

first police checkpoint, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

second police checkpoint, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

entering the stadium after the two hours of chaos and self-orientation was something i'll never forget. a deafening roar hit me immediately. then we walked out and looked at the field, and saw all the fans in full chant, which continued throughout and after the game. the greens lowered some banners down from the top, and sitting in the front were obligated to hold them on the field. we had taken sides, and would suffer the full wrath of the medellín fans if anything went down. we would also have the "protection" of the nacional fans.

start of game, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

start of game green, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

start of game red, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

helping out 2, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

letting go, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the fans were extremely animated, some provoking the other side. after one of nacional's goals, a guy in crutches made his way to the field in front of us and then proudly showed his ass to the bleachers of medellín fans on the edges of the neutral zone. they were throwing things toward us in disapproval. after the match, as we spilled onto the streets, we saw a fight break out - they came to find the guy in crutches and someone punched him. he held strong, and was at one point wailing on his attacker with his crutches. these are serious fans.

taking seats, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

red fans, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

taunting the reds, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

green fans, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

gooooooooaaaal!, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

streamers, medellín, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

nacional came back from 2-0 in the last 10 minutes of the game for a tie. this tie relegated medellín to the B-league, which was a devastating blow i'm sure. the game and the intense setting with the mountains in the background, the insane fans, the feeling that anything good or bad could happen at any moment - all combined to create an experience i'll never forget.

porkandcorn screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 10:17 PM
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #214
TheLorax
Comitted Lurker

Oddometer: 30
Where in the world

The shot of you getting patted down in your official fan gear really needs to be submitted for the "Where in the World" contest back home.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #215
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

go blazers!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #216
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

the end of the road - cartagena, colombia

saturday, may 4, 2013

monday, i left medellín for cartegena, colombia on the caribbean coast. the 11-hour marathon ride left me at the finish line, where i now sit in a nice little hotel writing one of my final entries from south america. i have put nearly 25,000 kilometers on my triumph, traveled through eight countries, crossed the andes seven times, seen nearly every major city in south america, and had the experience of a lifetime.

final south america count, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

last gas in south america, valdivia, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

in cartagena you sweat profusely. it is extremely hot and extremely humid here, especially at mid-day. sometimes so much that it's difficult to think. a hotel or hostel with air conditioning is an absolute requirement, but thankfully easy to come by. most of the taxi are also air conditioned. this is a good place to buy a white linen shirt and pants for the heat. i'm slowly putting an ensemble together with my abundant spare time.

palms 2, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

palms, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the city's colonial construction is very well preserved. the old, walled city is filled with incredible old buildings and narrow streets, each more amazing than the next. they are in various states of repair and disrepair. the north part of the old city, consisting of 'el centro' and 'san diego' neighborhoods is a bit thick with tourists, but fascinating to walk. i stayed in an obnoxious hostel for the first couple of nights, but then fled the drunken mayhem for a nice little hotel in the 'getsemani' neighborhood just to the south. getsemani's ratio of locals to tourists is about 95% to 5%. i like it here better.

building, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

yellow, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

canon, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

this is a city of vice. cartagena is swarming with every nefarious endeavor or product that money can buy. venture out at night as a man, and you are constantly approached by pimps and hookers alike. don't feel like cuddling up with a prostitute? well, then you can buy cocaine, weed and other drugs from the same guy. what an efficient system. cartagena is a bit like vegas, but with fewer rules. that is why so many professional conventions are held here. going out at night, you see packs of dentists, doctors, engineers, and lawyers - all looking in the dark corners of the city for something they shouldn't be looking for.

good eats, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

green, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

in fact, last april, president obama's secret service scandal occurred here in cartagena. the agents picked up some girls at a club called 'tu candela', an infamous gringo den, then headed back to their accommodations at the 'hotel caribe'. both of these places are within walking distance of my hotel.

havana salsa bar, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

secret service scandal hotel, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

this is also a city of aggressive vendors. go to the old town or the beach, and you will turn down no less than 2 offers per minute for random trinkets, food, t-shirts, and other useless stuff. sometimes a simple 'no gracias' is not enough to stave off the solicitations. i've learned from locals that in this case, you have to be a bit aggressive yourself - a flip of the hand like you are waving off a dog and then ignore the seller. i watched a colombia bartender at the beach chase off a vendor like he was a stray dog - he said 'sale, lobo!' - get out of here you wolf!

el centro, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

el centro 2, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

fortress, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

it's an interesting place, but the nearly 2 weeks i will end up staying here is about 1.5 weeks too much. i was planning on flying home on the 9th of may, but the vessel MEDEA that my bike will ride to galveston, texas is late into the port of cartagena from brazil. so now it's looking like i'll need to fly out around the 12th.

sunset, cartagena, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

monday, i'll start the process and paperwork with customs, the port authority, colombian police, and various other entities to get my bike outbound to the US. i have to personally be present for an anti-narcotics inspection when the bike is loaded, so that blew my plan of getting everything done in advance and taking off early. and trusting someone else to represent me does not seem wise in a country as infamous for drug trafficking as colombia. motorcycles are historically popular places to hide and smuggle cocaine.

so here i am, doing my best to not go crazy waiting to go home. i've walked all over the city, and am running out of corners to explore. i guess i can just watch a week worth of movies in the hotel room, but that doesn't seem right. to be honest, i'm a bit tired of traveling and really don't feel like going anywhere else in colombia, but i really can't anyway due to the process i need to begin on monday. speaking with a friend today on the phone, i admitted it is not perhaps as glamorous a finish line as might be desired, but sometimes real life and real adventure can be rather dull. it remains an adventure. it remains real life.

porkandcorn screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 02:50 PM
Old 05-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #217
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 634
You have plenty of good options outside Cartagena. You can extend your ride or park your bike (I wouldn't) and head east out to Santa Marta, Taganaga, Parque Tayrona, Cabo de la Vela, etc. If you head west you'll experience a different kind of tourism (not aimed to gringos) If you were to head South Mompox may be of interest to you. The latter two options are truly off the beaten path.

I can sit on the beach and enjoy it for about two days before i start looking for something to do, hence my perspective. you could even fly to bogota fairly cheaply or go back to Medellin which I'm partial to since it is my birthplace.

Regarding vice...the sad part of the market is the ever present demand. Lots of overlanders take advantage of it as well as the locals... it happens in every city.

Nice report. Too bad I miss a lot of pics because of Photobucket's bandwith limitations or however you want to phrase it.

Safe travels back home

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #218
25jack
WhateversComfortable

Oddometer: 23
IF.....you have the time and the desire

...it would be useful to see a revised packing list of what you would take next time. Maybe that is too much to ask.

How did the EVS RC4 race collar work out. Was it comfortable?

What riding gear would you change?

It was a fun read and I learned a lot from your trip.

Jack
25jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #219
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,555
I would make the trip East about 40kms along the coast to Volcan del Tumo for a little relaxing mud bath, free on certain days when the regular tourists are not scheduled.

I don't know what cargo company you are planning with but if fly out of Bogota to Miami it is about the cheapest way back to the States and then just truck ship or ride the bike back to the PNW. Check RTWPaul's thread last person I know of to do it and it was under $1000 to Miami IIRC.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #220
duitswes
NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
You have plenty of good options outside Cartagena. You can extend your ride or park your bike (I wouldn't) and head east out to Santa Marta, Taganaga, Parque Tayrona, Cabo de la Vela, etc. If you head west you'll experience a different kind of tourism (not aimed to gringos) If you were to head South Mompox may be of interest to you. The latter two options are truly off the beaten path.
+1 on Parque Tayrona. There should be a lot of info available. Once you are there, you can also look into the lost city hike.
duitswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #221
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

gear list review

jack, it's on my to do list to review my gear list on this thread. sit tight, it's coming.

f

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25jack View Post
...it would be useful to see a revised packing list of what you would take next time. Maybe that is too much to ask.

Jack
Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #222
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

playa blanca, colombia

monday, may 6, 2013

there were no motorcycle-shipment related tasks today, so i met up with hong & suzanne, and hong's sister and her boyfriend, and the five of us adventured down south of cartagena to find playa blanca (white beach).

panorama, playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

you can take a high-speed boat from the harbor in cartagena direct to the beach in 30 minutes. but we opted to take a small bus, a ferry over a river crossing, then a group of 100cc moto-taxis instead. it cost less, but more importantly is a lot more interesting. it was about an hour to get there this way.

riding on ferry to playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

loading ferry to playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

ferry to playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

road to playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the ride to playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

when we arrived, we were all very excited to see a perfect, picturesque white sand beach, complete with palm trees, a coral reef, and a guy selling cocoloco's (a coconut with piña colada mix and white rum added to the coconut milk inside… as nature intended.) we didn't have the beach all to ourselves, as it's a fairly popular spot, but it was such a beautiful beach it didn't matter. we happy fended off the expected assault of vendors with a smile.

playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

gringo on playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

anchored boat, playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

driftwood, playa blanca, colombia by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the other four stayed on the beach for the night in rented cabanas, but i needed to get back to meet with my local export agent to talk about the upcoming tasks for the week and get some document's to him. at 3pm, i took the high-speed boat back to cartagena to try the ocean route. fun ride jumping the caribbean waves back to the port.

i'm meeting the export agent on wednesday afternoon to buy personal liability insurance (required) for the port facility and sign some documents. on friday, i'll deliver the bike to the port and arrange for the inspections. the police inspections will hopefully occur on saturday, assuming the ship arrives in port on time. i'm going to change my flight home for monday morning the 13th, to give an extra day in case the ship arrives late.

i'd like to get back to playa blanca for another day and sleep-over if i can find the time.

porkandcorn screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 04:22 PM
Old 05-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #223
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

PORKANDCORN: gear review / packing review

for those of you list geeks out there, here's my official post-adventure review of the gear that i used (and in some cases, never used.) would be happy to answer any gear-specific questions...

1. first of all, i took too much stuff. classic first-timer mistake that we all must go through in our own way. someone could have told me, 'fritz, you won't need these things', and i wouldn't have listened. in brazil, i sent home nearly 50 pounds of gear and clothes. even after this, i feel like i could have lost another 50 pounds. there was never a time when i was riding and technically couldn't handle or navigate with the load i had. that's not the issue, i wasn't riding the in the Dakar Rally. the loss of weight would simply mean that i would have had less stuff to pack, unpack, sort through, keep safe, etc. that is the real benefit, especially when a large percentage of your life on the road is packing and unpacking every single day. the other obvious benefit of less weight is a lighter bike for when you are parking the bike in a million weird different locations, up steps, over curbs, in living rooms, etc.

2. one major change i would make: no camping gear. although i did camp a hand-full of times, and love camping, in most cases i could have just slept in my riding gear and been almost as comfortable on the ground. i estimate all my camping gear, including cooking, pots, pans, sleeping pads, tent, sleeping bag, etc to weigh around 25 pounds. that would make an enormous difference. yes, i enjoyed making coffee a few times, and having a warm freeze-dried meal, but i would have been fine without it. i also assume that if i didn't take camping gear, i would not need to have a top box on the bike - just the 2 panniers, tank bag, and duffle. much easier

3: regarding the "Touratech Zega Pro 38L side and top cases, anodized black, w/ matched lock sets" - these are beautiful, watertight, and lightweight cases. the mounts were rock solid through three zero-speed tipovers. but the first time they take the weight of the bike in a fall, they become very expensive 'metal boxes'. the left and right panniers now let in water, so thankfully i had planned ahead and packed liners. i love the mounts, they are attractive and very strong. if i could do it over again, i would probably use a pelican case left and right, maybe on the top rear if i needed it too. a pelican could take a fall without deforming and keep it's watertight qualities. i didn't do pelicans because i didn't like the side-load. but there was almost never a time that i got into the side cases when that would have been a major inconvenience.

4. regarding Heidenau K60 Scout dual-sport tires. i love these tires. i whined a little bit about the center tread area wearing too fast, but when i switched to the anakee II tires, i would have killed a man to have the scouts back. their traction on and off road is incredible. yes, the middle section wears fast to about 60%, but that last 60% takes FOREVER to wear down further. i changed my first rears way too soon, i could have gone at least another 5,000 km on that rear - AKA, i could have done the entire trip on 2 rears. the front is still on the bike after nearly 25,000 km, and still has a way to go. and now you can buy them from the triumph dealer in santa cruz, bolivia - he liked mine so much he became a dealer.

5. take less clothes... you will wear and wash the same things over and over (look at my photos, i'm always wearing the same things!) hauling less weight in and out of hotels and hostels is worth it's weight in gold (or not worth it's weight... i'm confused.)

-------------------------------------------------------

Note: (*) - indicates an efficient, innovative or otherwise amazing product that i'm glad i found
Black: if it's still black, i liked it.
Red: items that i would strike from my list and the reasons why
Blue: other comments

Motorcycle Gear & Modifications:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800xc, Black - from Cascade Moto Classics, Beaverton, Oregon USA - loved this bike!
Triumph heated grips kit
Triumph fog light kit
Triumph radiator guard
Triumph skid plate/sump guard
Triumph lowered foot peg inserts
Triumph larger adjustable touring shield
Triumph center stand - essential for maintenance, tire changes
Triumph engine guards
Triumph headlight protector
Triumph oil filter cover
MIVV Suono Stainless/Carbon silencer
R&G Shocktube, rear - essential to keep fork seals clean in the constant dirt and grime
ROX 1 7/8" pivoting handlebar risers
Barkbuster Storm handguards
Crampbuster, wide
Kriega front fork seal protectors * - essential to keep fork seals clean in the constant dirt and grime
Rick's mirror wideners
Touratech front fender risers *
Touratech kickstand foot widener
AirHawk R inflatable seatpad *
Mini red, white strobe lights for extra visibility *
Rubber duckie on the dash

Luggage & Storage:
Touratech Zega Pro 38L side and top cases, anodized black, w/ matched lock sets - see above note
Touratech Zega Pro lid nets (3) - essential if you use the Zegas
Touratech Zega carry handle/luggage straps (3) - essential if you use the Zegas
Givi T483 tank bag w/ rain cover - would prefer a tank bag that has watertight zippers and doesn't need a stupid cover
ROK straps, 54" x 1", black (4) * - amazing product, didn't use any other nets or straps the whole time. take extras.
Mesh gear bags, assorted sizes - REI
Oxford 15" bungee net
Ortlieb 85L waterproof duffle, yellow * - amazing product, though i would downsize to the 60 liter and take less stuff.
Ortlieb duffle patch kit
2 large, 2 medium carabiners (gear hangers) - used the big ones a lot for hanging stuff in rooms, on trees, laundry, etc.
3 gallon ziplocks, for duffle clothing organization (10) *
1 gallon ziplock freezer bags, misc storage (10)
1 quart ziplock freezer bags, misc storage (10)
Rotopax 1.75 gallon fuel cell * - used a couple of times, but could have gotten by without it by being smarter
4" x 24" custom PVC tent storage tube
Reflective tape strips for bike and panniers
Blog stickers - had postcards but wish they would have been stickers

Security:
Aerostitch 1735 Ultralight bike cover large, black *
REI 72" lightweight security cables (2)
Masterlock Padlocks (3) w/ matched key
The Club 72" heavy security cable
Heavy-duty padlock
Pacsafe Stuffsafe 80L secure dry bag (w/ metal netting) *
Kryptonite disc lock, w/ reminder cable
Dowco Guardian cover alarm
Spare key set (at home to be DHL'ed if needed)

Motorcycle Spares:
Brake and clutch levers
Clutch pedal - levers were too much weight and space, if i had a crash bad enough to damage, i'd have a lot bigger problems than levers

Oil filter - one spare is a good idea, only found at triumph dealers
Air filter
Headlight bulb
Turn signal bulb
Turn signal plastic lens cover
Fuses, assorted
Rear axle nut
Rear brake pad (3 sets) - i would take 3 sets for a trip this long, they were also hard to find
Front brake pads - still have a bunch left on my original set
Bolt/washer assortment
Misc bolts, nuts, washers, assorted

Motorcycle & Tool Consumables:
Motorex chain cleaner
Honda synthetic chain lube
WD40, 2 oz.
Tape: electrical, duct, metal, self-adhering silicone
Mr. Funnel AF1CB small fuel filter funnel * - only used once, didn't need to
Stainless steel wire
Coat hanger wire
White lithium grease
Gorilla glue - useless crap
Rapid fix welding glue * - AMAZING PRODUCT, dont travel without it especially on a triumph tiger with it's crappy turn signals
Zipties, assorted
2 ft. Zipties
Nitrile disposable gloves (20)
Shop rags (3)
Metal strapping w/ holes, 5 ft.

Motorcycle Tools:
Harbor Freight padded vinyl tool roll bag
Triumph Motorcycle repair manual (PDF) - can alway email your dealer if you need pages
Channel locks
Needle nose pliers
Vice grips
Harbor Freight L-shaped ball-end metric hex wrench set w/ case
Harbor Freight combined open end/rachet wrenches, assorted
3/8" x 9" rachet handle
3/8" x 4", 2" socket extension wobble end
3/8" x 8" socket extension
3/8" sockets, assorted (mounted on long bolt w/ washer & nut caps)
3/8" to 1/2" adapter
1/2" by 28mm rear axle socket
Harbor Freight mini hacksaw + spare blades *
Picque multi-screwdriver *
Motion Pro front axle hex tool (for 3/8" socket wrench)
Motion Pro spoke tool 6.0mm
Grunge chain brush - great product
Mini jumper cables - come with mini compressor

Tire & Tire Equipment:
Heidenau K60 Scout dual-sport tires (mounted) - see note #4 above
Heidenau K60 Scout dual-sport tires (spares, left at trip mid-way location) - REAR SPARE ONLY, if you can, place a spare half way along your route.
BestRest Bead Breakr kit w/ 3 tire irons * - there's always a gomeria somewhere close, even if you have to wait. i failed to perform a change in the field.
Slime compact air compressor - amazing product. was completely waterlogged for a week, when it dried out, it started right up

Slime tire patch kit - there's always a gomeria somewhere close, even if you have to wait.
Tire pressure gauge
Front inner tube spare
Rear inner tube spare - there's always a gomeria somewhere close.

Talctube - BestRest Products
(3) Rim protectors - BestRest Products
Liquid Soap/bead goop
Valve cores (2)

Navigation/GPS:
Garmin Zumo 665 (hardwired) + USB cable + case (w/ Basecamp Software for Mac)
OpenStreetMaps South America .GPX maps for Garmin - saved my life in the big/medium cities
Mototreks.com South America POI Waypoints download
(1) 64 GB Sandisc Micro SD cards, Class 10 High Speed
USB Micro SD reader
RAM mount (3") for Garmin Zumo (+ handlebar mount)
Maps With Me iPhone app with maps downloaded for South America - ESSENTIAL for on and off the bike!!!, sometimes the GPS is wrong and this helps to confirm

Communication:
Scala G4 2-way headsets (2) + charger - only if you are riding with a partner, never used
Spot Connect GPS tracker/Medivac transponder + USB cable (w/ iPhone App) - hated the SPOT, was a constant pain in the ass to connect to my iPhone. get a normal spot or a different manufacturer

Photography & iPhone):
iPhone 5 + DC charger + USB cable
Incase iPhone slim case
RAM mount (6") w/ X-Grip for iPhone 5 (+ handlebar mount)
V-moda Remix headphones w/ mic + case + spare earpieces
Etymotic "Awareness Pro" iPhone app (ambient audio amplifier)
Olloclip multi-lens clip-on for iPhone 5 (fisheye, wide-angle, macro) for iPhone *
Belkin Live Action camera remote for iPhone (w/ iPhone App) *
Tamrac Zipshot ultralight tripod (for iPhone) *
RAM mount Universal X-grip mount for smartphones (a 2nd one for Zipshot tripod)
iPhone apps for Spanish, Portuguese dictionaries

Computer & Misc. Electronics
Macbook Air 11" 512GB laptop
Macbook Air DC charger + extension cable
Kensington 150w inverter (Macbook Air, iPhone,etc)
InCase Macbook Air 11" neoprene sleeve
Lacie 8GB Key flash drive (looks like a key) *
Mixit2 Pocket Audio Mixer
(2) 3ft. patch cables (iPhone, Garmin to Mixit2)
Belkin Mixit 6ft. coiled 1/8" audio patch cable (Scala G4 to Mixit2)

Foreign electrical adapters
(2) Bike Parts Euro to Cigarette socket adapter, 8"
Cigarette socket M to 2F splitter
Lithium ion batteries in all devices + spares
6ft. RCA to 1/8" (for sharing my iPod music with the world)
X-mini 2 Capsule Speaker - added this after i got here, used it all the time.

Riding Gear:
Shoei Multitec flip-up helmet, yellow + chin wind guard + cloth sack
Shoei Multitec spare visor, mirrored yellow + carry case + cycle wipes and cleaning cloth - great for keeping down sunburns, enjoyed a dual-visor system. i think it's better than the flip down sun visors.
Alpinestars Scout WP ADV Boots
Klim Badlands Jacket/Pants - AMAZING GEAR with great ventilation, kept me warm, cool, and dry
Black Gore-Tex Fabric Repair Kit, Waterproof
Warm & Safe Gen4 heated jacket, w/ stuff-sack - you can always layer to do the same thing
Warm & Safe heated gloves - thinsulate winter gloves would be enough
Warm & Safe wireless controller *

Klim Mojave warm weather gloves - loved them
Icon warm weather gloves (backup)
Fleece neck tube
Silk neck tube

EVS RC4 race collar - never used, too awkward
Oakley polarized sunglasses + case + cleaning cloth
Spare Alpinestars boot buckles
Waterproof watch

Utility:
Leatherman Wave + belt case * - YES, YES, YES!
Nanolight Streamlight (in Leatherman case R side pocket) *
Fisher Space Pen (in Leatherman case L side pocket) *
Lenser H5 Lightweight LED Headlamp - cheapo would work too
REI Compass & temperature gauge keychain *
Small sewing kit w/ iron-on heavy-duty patches
Helios butane torch lighter + extra butane fuel
Waterproof, strike-anywhere matches
Dust masks
U-Dig-It Shit shovel *
TP & Wipes
Gerber lightweight folding tree saw *
Sea to Summit Mosquito head gear
100ft. parachute cord'
40ft. climbing rope & carabiners

3 mil yard waste trash bags (2)

"Office":
Lightweight shoulder bag with secure close ("Office") (located in duffle)
Maps (Nelles, Borch)
Document organizer/filing system/file folders - watertight so you don't need laminates
Sharpies (2)
Pens (2)
Wax pencil, red (2)

Small notepad
Triumph motorcycle owners handbook
Electronics manuals, misc.
Passport photo page copy (1 laminated thick for use as I.D.)
Passport copy (10 good color copies of inner front, inner rear page, 1set laminated)
Motorcycle title/registration copy (10 good color copies, 1 laminated)
Motorcycle insurance copy (10 good color copies, 1 laminated)
Vaccinations copy (5 good color copies, 1 laminated) - 5 of each of these would be enough
Passport original (never let out of sight!!)
Motorcycle title/registration original (never let out of sight!!)
Motorcycle insurance original (never let out of sight!!)
Vaccinations original (never let out of sight!!)
Spare passport photos (4)
Airline tickets
Visa documents

Wallet & Cash:
Passport wallet
Passport
Cash ($100s, $50s, $20s)
Credit cards
USA Drivers license
Business cards
Custom biography/contact info postcards (en español)
Spare credit card & cash (hidden somewhere else)

Fake Wallet:
Old wallet (easily accessible)
Expired drivers license
Expired credit cards
Misc cash

Clothing:
-----Head-----
Rayban polarized sunglasses + case + cleaning cloth
Stocking cap
Outdoor Research ultralight collapsable sun hat *
Ball cap - one hat that shades ears and neck is better
Swimming goggles
-----Uppers-----
Underarmour HeatGear fitted top - long sleeve (2) *
Underarmour HeatGear fitted top - short sleeve (2) * - one is enough
V-neck t-shirts (2) - one is enough
Triumph t-shirt
Portland Trailblazers! t-shirt
Nice shirt - long sleeve (2) - one is enough
Nice shirt - short sleeve (2) - one is enough. heavily patterned shirts that don't look ridiculous when you sweat like a pig are better.
Lightweight zip-up hoodie
REI lightweight rain shell
-----Lowers-----
Underwear (7)
Underarmour HeatGear compression tights (2 pair) *
Jeans
Cargo pants (2) - i used Columbia quick dry cargos as my under riding pants every day, washed every night
Cargo shorts
Swimsuit
Belt
-----Feet-----
2 pair Underarmour HeatGear ultralight low socks *
4 pair Underarmour HeatGear ultralight crew socks * - 2 is enough
4 pair extra tall boot socks - 2 is enough
Flip flops
New Balance Minimus ultralight running shoes *
Timberland City walking boots

Personal Items & First Aid:
Sea to Summit Large hanging toiletry organizer - great product
Wipes
Hand sanitizer
Coppertone Sport SPF
Small re-fillable liquid soap bottle
Deodorant
Cologne
Gum
Floss
Toothpaste
Toothbrush + case
Eye drops
Chapstick
Nail clipper
Scissors
Sink drain plug
Prescriptions
REI small quick-dry camp towel
Tweezers
Pepto Tabs
Plastic shaving mirror
Goldbond powder
Antiseptic cleaning singles
Thermometer
Bandages, band-aids, tape, gauze, ace sport bandage, superglue
Sleeping pills, ibuprofen, aspirin, antacid, Neosporin, cough drops
Dayquil softgels, Nyquil softgels, Immodium AD, laxative
Deet bug spray
Antifungal cream
Other items….

Camping: - see explanation at start
Exped Wall Creeper 30 degree sleeping bag *
Thermarest NeoAir ultralight sleeping pad
Cocoon hyper light inflatable pillow & pillowcase *
Mountain Hardware Skyledge 2.1 ultra-light tent

PVC-coated 5x8 tarp/footprint with grommeted straps
Packstool collapsable tripod chair
Black Diamond 45 lumen LED camp light

Cooking, Drinking & Eating:
REI mesh gear bag, assorted sizes
Aquamira chlorine dioxide water treatment drops *
MSR Pocket Rocket ultralight campstove
MSR Isopro camp fuel canister(s)
Snopeak 2-piece Titanium Ultralight cookware set
MSR 0.4L insulated cup w/ lid
Light My Fire heavy plastic sporks
Aluminum foil
Starbucks VIA/Trader Joe's instant coffee packets *
Mountain House freeze dried meals (assorted)

Clif bars
GSI Outdoors plastic flask
Eagle Rare or Woodford's Reserve whiskey (critical)
Camelbac All-Clear UV water treatment system
MSR 3L anti-microbial dromedary bag

Hayze-E e-Cigs!

everything but the bike by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the ortlieb duffle contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the office bag contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the toiletry bag contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the tankbag contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the left pannier contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the right pannier contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the toolkit contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr

the top box contents by porkandcorn, on Flickr