User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
KneeDrachen OP
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
Airhead Love...Let's Hear About It

I'm trying to get myself into the Airhead Kingdom. I've found a GSPD that is quite faraway and trying to iron out the details with the seller. Shipping or fly-and-ride, etc. I'm smitten by the looks of the bike, the mechanical involvement and the sound the Airhead bikes make.

So, what is with your love of the Airheads?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,420
eh they're alright

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 07:56 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
They are great conversation starters.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
Everytime I see an airhead, I make a new friend.

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
I have owned more than I willing to admit. They have taken me to every US state except Alaska (someday) and Hawaii. Canada. New Zealand. Australia.

The second one I bought, a 1966 R60/2 is still with me, all these years later. I rode it from Asheville to Sturgis, Mississippi three years ago.

There are two more in the fleet. Both R100RS models. One a true RS, the other, The Beast with a 44 liter tank.

I still want an R75 or R80, just for the smooth engine.

When I think "motorcycle", I think BMW airhead.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,420
Quote:
When I think "tractor", I think BMW airhead.
fixed

I like fiddling with my bike. It's not fast, the suspension isn't great and I spent a lot replacing electrical components but a new bike wouldn't allow me to satisfy my tinkering urges without breaking something.

The airhead is simple enough that I can do almost everything on it myself. A single cylinder would be simpler but the vibration makes them uncomfortable for me on a long trip.

So, that's what makes the airhead the only bike for me. It has enough performance and smoothness to be a viable form of transportation for mild offroading, touring and getting groceries while still allowing me to pull the cylinders off for an afternoon of scraping carbon with a few brews.

The only bike that I would give up my airhead for would be fully electric and viable for touring. That doesn't exist right now due to a lack of infrastructure. When something like that comes along I will happily park my old dinosaur in the garage. Until then I'll be a dedicated airhead owner.

I can go from this:

to this:

or this:

or this:

in about a half an hour (you know, minus the driving time )

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 09:02 AM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
It's slow enough that I don't feel like I need to thrash it all the time. It's fast enough that if it's ridden well, it'll hang with more modern stuff. It's comfy enough that I can ride it quite a ways. It's pretty enough that parking it somewhere will draw a crowd.

I've been riding motorcycles for almost 40 years and have been riding airheads for about 35 of them. They just feel right. Enough power. Enough suspension. Enough character.

And I can fix it myself pretty easily when it gets cranky using the tools under the seat.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
It's slow enough that I don't feel like I need to thrash it all the time. It's fast enough that if it's ridden well, it'll hang with more modern stuff. It's comfy enough that I can ride it quite a ways. It's pretty enough that parking it somewhere will draw a crowd.

I've been riding motorcycles for almost 40 years and have been riding airheads for about 35 of them. They just feel right. Enough power. Enough suspension. Enough character.

And I can fix it myself pretty easily when it gets cranky using the tools under the seat.

Nice sumation.

your front tire's mounted backwards.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,046
I hate them. Would never ride one. Ignore my signature.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
I ride Airheads because, when I started out, they were the only bikes that I could afford, that I could also depend on and fix myself.

I continue to ride Airheads because they still make sense to own, the technology will carry me wherever I want to go, I understand how they work and I've grown to love em.

Other than that, they're simply more mechanical junk.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 03:45 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
What kbasa said. And I love this thing and never get tired of riding it.

Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
azcycle
Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer: 703
I'm new to the BMW world. I have been drooling over BMW's dual-sport bikes for years but never thought I'd buy one. Now that I've inherited my father-in-law's r65, I'm learning more about old airheads, and love it.

Super easy to work on, even for a newb mechanic. While I haven't taken it out on any long trips (yet) I hope to once I confirm the condition of some of the bits and pieces. I'm not intimidated with the thought of being stranded... it's so easy to work on.

Great looks, a lot of character, and get waves, thumbs-up, and all sorts of comments from other riders. Not that I care about any popularity contest, but it's cool to meet people, and an old airhead is a great conversation starter.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
I like leaving my gloves on the cylinders to stay toasty when I gotta take a whizz. I like never having cold feet. I like riding with one foot slightly in front of the other when they're both square on the pegs. I like weak electrical systems. I like ugly and difficult to clean cast wheels with stupid valve stem placement. I like the best fairing ever made----still. I like worthless rear disc brakes. I like taking the front wheel off to get the rear wheel off. I like annoying the cognoscenti with loud pipes. I like having trouble finding tires. I like envious glances. I like the underseat storage. I like blowing up alternator rotors. I like people thinking I have a clue. I like taking off a a 350 mile run with full tanks, no money, no credit cards and no worries about arriving at the end of the day. I like watching it turn over 100K. I like people being surprised it's 27 years old. I like smooth motors. I like being able to swap out main jets in a parking lot faster than I can drink half a Coke. I like hanging out in the shade and waiting for the people standing around looking at the bike to go away so I don't have to talk to them. I like popping a float bowl and having a little gas to get the campfire going. I like being able to understand everything. I like feeling elite. I like low centers of gravity. I like prima donna mechanics. I like getting pulled over by a CHP on an 1150 and asking him if he wants to try the real thing. I like weird highly un-ergonomic switch gear. I like being able to start it with a nail if you lose the key. I like being able to tear into any system with just the decent factory tool kit (except the sucky screwdriver and pliers). I like sleeze eBay sellers and low quality repro parts. I like mirrors that let me keep track of my arms---always. I like the factory air pump on it's own frame brackets. I like sidecovers held on with a rubber band. I like going to the Suzikawayamahoppy dealer and not being in the computer. I like slapping on Volvo parts that work better and cost less. I like dual plugging and still only having to buy 4 plugs. I like changing my oil too often. I like drama ridden gurus. I like stainless brake disks. I like 7 marque emblems---stock. I like having room to improve things. I like the factory cable lock in the frame tube to hide the dope. I like two owners manuals for the same model with different wiring diagrams. I like antique fuses so deeply burried it takes 20 min to get down to them. I like mystery stripes on the headlight glass. I like big fuel tanks. I like more metal than plastic. I like funky little push greasers. I like manual petcocks. I like having a stuffed animal strapped on top and not feeling stupid. I like loud horns. I like people coming up at rest areas and asking you to take their picture because they figure you're ok. I like cam surfaces built into the swing arm to break the axle free when pulling the wheel. I like having it spread around the yard and bumming the landlady who figues it'll be there a month and then putting it back together and riding away in 3 hours. I like esoteric aftermarket parts a PO fitted that can't be found anymore.

I like riding back-in-the-day...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,241
What hasn't been said....

doesn't need to be written. Put as plainly as I possibly can, they've just got soul. I never feel lonely when I'm with my airhead...
DSC02197
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #15
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed King
What kbasa said. And I love this thing and never get tired of riding it.

That's a good lookin bike.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote