Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
jackd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
The pan of my old Triumph was in much the same shape as that one. I bead blasted it, sprayed it with two part polyurethane primer and then painted it with Aircraft Endura paint. I cleaned up the original foam and re-used it. I then put on a new seat cover and it was as good as new. Good luck with yours.
jackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
Lee 303 OP
razryadka

Oddometer: 56

I just picked up the seat bottom from a local shop that powder coats automobile wheels and the fellow said he could blast and paint it for forty bucks plus have ready in a day and half. So I took the easy way out and let him utilize all that expensive equipment and material he had invested in. Time will tell if powder coat is all that it's cracked up to be. Perhaps the seat bottom will last another thirty years. Most of this afternnon was spent reassembling the seat. Good thing I kept an assortment of sheet clamps (cleco clamps) from my years as an aircraft mechanic. They made stretching the original seat cover and pop riveting the doubler strips back on much easier. The local hardware store had Scotch brand tough duct tape a fiberglass reinforced tape that was very close to the original tape used around the perimeter so the steel wouldn't cut the vinyl seat covering. Very sticky ! But it only fouled me up on one corner.
The only tip I have is make sure you reinstall the rubber bottom supports first. Because they were pain to push in even with soap. I'm sure they would just pop right in when pulled instead of pushed.
Thanks for the photos Cogswell. They convinced me to take the seat apart and nip the problem in the bud. New seats are uber expensive!

Lee 303 screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 06:33 AM Reason: added photo
Lee 303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
A wire brush and POR-15
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #19
patanga
BMWAirheadsDownunder

Oddometer: 161
Old farmers trick.

A very cheap easy fix is 50/50 molasses and water. Takes rust off everything. Leave it soak in the brew for a day or two and it should come out like it's been sand blasted. If the rust is thick take the item out a couple of times and give it a brush with a scrubber to loosen the surface. Keep check on it though because if you forget about it the item will disappear:)

"BMW Airheads Downunder", (The Australia and New Zealand Airhead Community). "B.A.D"
http://www.facebook.com/groups/anzairheads/

patanga screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 02:14 AM
patanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #20
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 476
Seatpan came off a R75 I picked up, worst part on the bike besides the tank.

Cleaned it up and used POR-15 Silver paint, POR Puddy, and fiberglass mesh. Should last awhile.

m
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
Lee 303 OP
razryadka

Oddometer: 56
Thanks for posting your photos ML Wydell

I thought I had a rust problem. But you got it in spades. My 81 Honda Civic suffered at every stone chip with rust bubbling up underneath each chip. After a couple of months the spots were several inches wide with sheets of paint flaking off. By 86 or 87 Honda had improved the primers dramaticly and rust seemed to be curtailed. Anybody know if 85 and later seats rot out like the previous examples ?
Lee 303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
510ebl
Restless...

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
There are products, such as POR15 that work by encapsulating the rust. I have used most all the rust converters, POR 15, and similar, but prefer phosphoric acid because it allows determining the metal condition. I found using a small brass or stainless wire brush and some naval jelly and/or 'etch and prep' works well. The brush is to remove any flaking/crumbling rust to allow acid to contact the rusted metal. Phosphoric acid chemically changes the rusted metal to a grey surface that can be primed and is somewhat rust resistant. YMMV.
A phosphoric acid based product called "Ospho" is very good too. I pick it up by the gallon container at Ace Hardware or West Marine. Both ship to the store for free if it is not a stocking item.