ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
Barkdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
BRP Trip

I'm planning on riding from the DC area to Clemson, SC this week. I am hoping to make it down with about 14 hours of ride time. Would this be enough time to take the Blue Ridge Parkway down? Would this be a good route? Or is it too slow/heavily patrolled, etc. Any other good routes to take through VA and NC?
Barkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
jshuck
Iron Butt #31

Oddometer: 403
BRP ride

It looks like a straight line but in reality it is slow going. Especially if you get behind someone...like a frikkin' RV. Go during the week and leave DC real early.. I'd do it..... Again..
jshuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,148
Yes, you can do it. Get a really early start and slab to Mile Zero. You'll be on the BRP shortly after sunrise and just keep going at about 55~60 MPH. You'll get to Asheville about 2:00 PM and then take NC125 down to Brevard. That road is a serious hoot, especially at the bottom. From there you're not far from Clemson.

You will run into traffic on the BRP, probably. Don't let it get to you; it won't cost you much time in the long run. This is WAY better than any alternative.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
TorqueWrench
Obsolete and Ugly

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkdog
I'm planning on riding from the DC area to Clemson, SC this week. I am hoping to make it down with about 14 hours of ride time. Would this be enough time to take the Blue Ridge Parkway down? Would this be a good route? Or is it too slow/heavily patrolled, etc. Any other good routes to take through VA and NC?
Great ride except when it's raining and foggy. You can't see your handlebars up there when that happens. Don't drive more than 5mph over the limit and don't pass on a double yellow. Just pull off into a scenic overlook when you get boxed in and take a break.
XLHDTB Troy-Bilt Lard Boy (42" cut)
All The Other Bikes...
TorqueWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Check the BRP website. Parts of the BRP are still closed from the wet weather of last year. I was on the BRP this past weekend and it was closed from milepost 344-355 (Mt. Mitchell area) and again just south of Linville Falls. I made my own detour around Mt. Mitchell - SH2178 at Craggy Gardens on the BRP then NNE to SH197, to Burnsville. Lots of dirt\gravel and in some places if you listen real close you'll hear the banjos playing.

P.S. Hwy 215 from Waynesville, NC down into SC is a hoot! Lots of nice dirt around Lake Isaqueena in Clemson.
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:53 AM   #6
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkdog

I've been thinking about this one. yea, you could do it on the BRP, but..... it depends on the day of the week. weekends, nope, forget it. too many people up there. and with the hot weather, it's hazy up there too, so the views aren't as good.

pull out the map and follow along

starting point Manassas, VA
15 S to Buckingham, VA
60 W to 24 S to Appomattox
VA 727 south 615 W to 600 S to 40 to Brookneal, VA
40 west to Rocky Mount VA
40 west to Woolwine, VA
8 west to the BRP
BRP south to US 58
58 west past Volney, VA, past the edge of Grayson State park to VA 751 south into NC
to 194 south to Boone, NC
321 west Johnson City, TN
19W/23.I-181 south thru Erwin, TN to TN 23/81 through Rocky Fork, TN
south on TN 253 to NC 212 to 70 to Hot Springs NC
south out of Hot Springs on 209
hang a right at the stop sign and store near Fine's Creek NC for a faster way to I-40
I-40 to 276 south
run 276 to Brevard NC
64 to Rosman, NC
178 south to Liberty, SC
93 into Clemson

642.2 miles, at the speed limit, 14 hours on the nose
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:26 AM   #7
Gventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
The BRP is open except for the two stretches listed above. I don't recommend going much over 50 mph - especially this weekend - which may be a moot point because the BRP on a 4th of July weekend will be quite packed. I've run between Tuggle's gap and 276 (Waynesville/Brevard) dozens of times and on 4th of July weekend its always packed - not much "spirited ride" fun but if you can relax and enjoy the views - it should be fine.
Gventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
todd900ss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
The parkway is open at Mount Mitchell (one lane open), But still closed Linville Falls. The detor off the parkway is well marked and short. I would not run over
50 mph on the 4th of July weekend.
todd900ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #9
ridetwistyroads
tailwind please

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
I've been thinking about this one. yea, you could do it on the BRP, but..... it depends on the day of the week. weekends, nope, forget it. too many people up there. and with the hot weather, it's hazy up there too, so the views aren't as good.

pull out the map and follow along

starting point Manassas, VA
15 S to Buckingham, VA
60 W to 24 S to Appomattox
VA 727 south 615 W to 600 S to 40 to Brookneal, VA
40 west to Rocky Mount VA
40 west to Woolwine, VA
8 west to the BRP
BRP south to US 58
58 west past Volney, VA, past the edge of Grayson State park to VA 751 south into NC
to 194 south to Boone, NC
321 west Johnson City, TN
19W/23.I-181 south thru Erwin, TN to TN 23/81 through Rocky Fork, TN
south on TN 253 to NC 212 to 70 to Hot Springs NC
south out of Hot Springs on 209
hang a right at the stop sign and store near Fine's Creek NC for a faster way to I-40
I-40 to 276 south
run 276 to Brevard NC
64 to Rosman, NC
178 south to Liberty, SC
93 into Clemson

642.2 miles, at the speed limit, 14 hours on the nose
I've ridden all of the latter half. Execelent roads.
ridetwistyroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:25 AM   #10
svwayne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd900ss
The parkway is open at Mount Mitchell (one lane open), But still closed Linville Falls. The detor off the parkway is well marked and short. I would not run over
50 mph on the 4th of July weekend.
Coming up from the south of Mt. Mitchell (on 6\25\05) the signs indicated that the BRP was closed from milepost 344-355. Guess I should have checked it out myself. Typical government efficiency!

Still, that gravel FS road that leaves the parkway at Craggy Garden is a hoot on a DS bike.
svwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
Barkdog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by svwayne
Still, that gravel FS road that leaves the parkway at Craggy Garden is a hoot on a DS bike.
I'll be on my 600rr, so I'll have to pass on the gravel roads.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll be leaving bright and early thursday morning, and returning sunday. I imagine traffic will royally suck on sunday so I might find an alternate route or split the ride into 2 days.
Barkdog is offline   Reply With Quote