Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #106
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I guess they do in Fort Davis at the General Store... ate there the next night too and the side was green beans. I like broccoli so it was fine with me.
I love brocolli, beans too, but veggies are hard to find in Texas unless they have been soaked in a deep fryer. I only passed through Ft. Davis. I must stop next time. Maybe April? Don't forget to ride the River Road. Pics please.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #107
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
WNWT Day 16 & 17 mini-update

Haven't had time to sit down for full updates... but had a wonderful day of riding on Tuesday in the Big Bend area.

The camera on my phone really can't comprehend what it's trying to process. Did the Presidio to Big Bend river road along the Rio Grande (one of the top 10 scenic drives in America... I can believe it), stopped in Terlingua and had a beer with the locals on the front porch, ran down the Old Maverick road and saw Santa Elena canyon, went to a Star Party that night.

Wednesday I made the run from Fort Davis to Deming, NM. Got into some of the most desolate areas I've been in yet. Staying with inmate Jeff (buls4ever) in Deming. Fantastic host. We're going to do a loop in the mountains north of Deming today. On Friday I'll start heading west again with a stop in Tombstone, AZ for lunch (location of the OK Corral, etc).

Should have some time this weekend to get some more pictures posted and details shared... should hit 4000 miles for the trip today or tomorrow. Ride On!
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #108
mxjerm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Love it!!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #109
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

..All right, your in NM!..Tell Jeff... Gib said hi......I gotta get down to Deming someday. Now that I know your in good hands I can get off the damn comuter and shovel the driveway. Be safe.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #110
iowawoodsracer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question P90x?!

Quote:
I guess they do in Fort Davis at the General Store... ate there the next night too and the side was green beans. I like broccoli so it was fine with me.
Which begs another question; to wit: You (and everyone else on these ride reports) seem to eat pretty well on this trip. And by that I mean comfort food and lots of it. So unless you're forgetting to mention the P90X routine you do each morning, I'd think you might be gaining a few pounds. Or does being the saddle all day really burn that many calories
iowawoodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #111
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

For some its a high metabolism. For me it's the YMCA seven days a week.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #112
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowawoodsracer View Post
Which begs another question; to wit: You (and everyone else on these ride reports) seem to eat pretty well on this trip. And by that I mean comfort food and lots of it. So unless you're forgetting to mention the P90X routine you do each morning, I'd think you might be gaining a few pounds. Or does being the saddle all day really burn that many calories
I do think riding, even road riding, does burn more than sitting at a desk. I'm probably not losing anything, but I'm staying pretty steady. Try to limit myself to just one "bad" meal a day. Otherwise it's granola bars, bananas, water, and a few crackers.

I'll do some push-ups and sit-ups a few times a week, but yeah, no work-outs.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #113
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
..All right, your in NM!..Tell Jeff... Gib said hi......I gotta get down to Deming someday. Now that I know your in good hands I can get off the damn comuter and shovel the driveway. Be safe.

Hi Gib........... I got him off to Portal AZ this AM in the Cave Creek Canyon and onto the dirt road up to the Chirikauwa... Chirikchuah.... you know those Geronimo indians... Natl Monument by Sunsites. So he is in the Grand Canyon state Girlfriend. When last I heard from him he was sitting down to lunch in Tombstone an hr ago.He MAY have had to shovel some snow to get there....Well I will let him tell that story. We had a great time in Deming and I hope he comes back some time.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #114
buls4evr
No Marks....

Quote:
I do think riding, even road riding, does burn more than sitting at a desk. I'm probably not losing anything, but I'm staying pretty steady. Try to limit myself to just one "bad" meal a day. Otherwise it's granola bars, bananas, water, and a few crackers.

I'll do some push-ups and sit-ups a few times a week, but yeah, no work-outs.
THIS IS B.S***.................. We ate and drank until we dropped but I did make him ride his A** off. See pictures... the only WALKING we did was 500 yards into Palomas CH MX for a HUGE Mexican meal.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #115
garybarber
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
THIS IS B.S***.................. We ate and drank until we dropped but I did make him ride his A** off. See pictures... the only WALKING we did was 500 yards into Palomas CH MX for a HUGE Mexican meal.
The truth is out there Kelly! No fooling us about the shape you are in. Mountain biking will be tough on you when you get back. Luckily for you many of the regular riders have been taking it easy as well. At least you are having a great time!
garybarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #116
buls4evr
No Marks....

He's been EATING his way through the SW Barber, don't let him kid you.... He will probably need a 1200 Tiger next year. Hopefully GIRLFRIEND will recognize him when he gets to San Diego.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #117
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
I was thinking this same thing!! I have to diet and work out for an hour a day to stay "not too fat"... I have never taken a ride longer than a week though....
kingofZroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #118
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Man, you guys are rough... I like to think of it more as "immersing myself into the culture, scenery, and culinary delights of the areas I've been riding through". At least that sounds a little better than "eating my way through the SW".

I really am going to get caught up on the ride report so stay tuned! Gotta figure a way to not link every freakin' picture, but it's hard to choose. The scenery has been outstanding the last few days.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #119
iowawoodsracer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Man, you guys are rough... I like to think of it more as "immersing myself into the culture, scenery, and culinary delights of the areas I've been riding through". At least that sounds a little better than "eating my way through the SW".
Don't get me wrong - the food is probably a close second behind all of the scenery for reasons why I have to do something like this someday.
iowawoodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #120
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - the food is probably a close second behind all of the scenery for reasons why I have to do something like this someday.
The scenery and adventure are by far the only reason for a trip like Kellys, the food is a distant third. Sometimes I get into a econo mode and eat cheap..... Macs/Wendys ect.....and use the savings to upgrade motels, like from Motel 6 to a Best West.Its hard to pass by many of those Texas BBQ joints though.