Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #121
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
The scenery and adventure are by far the only reason for a trip like Kellys, the food is a distant third. Sometimes I get into a econo mode and eat cheap..... Macs/Wendys ect.....and use the savings to upgrade motels, like from Motel 6 to a Best West.Its hard to pass by many of those Texas BBQ joints though.
Only Texas hosts would let you get away with that EXORG.... In NM you get only our best..... Wendy's indeed. We aim to show you what we have got.....worlds best chilis, Pico DG, red or green, chimis like you never had them and we try to put everyone up at OUR place not send them to a chain motel. Worlds best Marguritas right out of the cactus fresh and cold. You have got to get down here! Pack your riding gear, stop shoveling snow, and I will get you at the EP airport...... We have a bike for you......
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #122
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,248
This thread is nothing without pictures......................
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #123
kingofZroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Only Texas hosts would let you get away with that EXORG.... In NM you get only our best..... Wendy's indeed. We aim to show you what we have got.....worlds best chilis, Pico DG, red or green, chimis like you never had them and we try to put everyone up at OUR place not send them to a chain motel. Worlds best Marguritas right out of the cactus fresh and cold. You have got to get down here! Pack your riding gear, stop shoveling snow, and I will get you at the EP airport...... We have a bike for you......
You had me at "worlds best Chili's"...
kingofZroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #124
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Mmm...chilis!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #125
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
WNWT Day 16 - Big Bend Part Uno

Tuesday found me waking up in my swanky digs in Ft. Davis, TX ready for a day of riding the Big Bend area. Mid 40's and sunny and got to a beautiful mid 60's. Perfect for riding. On the road at 9:00 after a quick stop to mail The Girlfriend some shells I gathered on the beach in South Padre that, when laid out, look like an angel. Yeah, I'm that flippin sweet. Ask me, I'll tell ya.

I bolted south and first passed through the quirky town of Marfa. I really liked their courthouse.

Then I spotted this Texas SUV... that there is just your run of the mill Cadillac hearse complete with desert/western mural, huge cow horns, and roof rack. And most likely haunted.

Heck, after seeing that hearse, I could have called it a day and headed back, satisfied that I'd seen all Texas has to offer... but I pressed on.

Started getting into the low mountains as I approached Presidio.

Can you see the elephant?

Saw a rock that had three "dikes", which are basically lines in the rock caused by magma or whatnot, that I really liked. There was a two-track path that let me ride up close to it. Came up on a herd of 8 or 9 javelinas grazing about, but still couldn't get a pic that was worth a crap.

Balancing rocks with the Rio Grande and Mexico in the background

The road from Presido to Terlingua is often listed as one of the most scenic roads in the US. I agree, it was pretty awesome. As a road to ride on a motorcycle, it was just "ok" from an entertainment value. More swoopy than curvy. I'd heard about "the hill" in this section. Apparently there's a 16% grade in there. I think I know what hill they are talking about but when I rode it, I don't think I even realized it.

There's an old movie set along the road that was interesting. Was used in several movies. I think one of the biggest was "Streets of Laredo". Another was a 1996 movie called "Lone Star". It sits right on the banks of the Rio Grande. Looks the part from the outside but is all OSB and 2X4's on the inside. Going to have to watch one of those movies now.

As someone had recommended, when I got to the ghost town of Terlingua, I checked out the Terlingua Mercantile. Interesting place. It was noonish and a few locals were sitting on the front porch enjoying an adult beverage. I grabbed a Lone Star, a water, and a refrigerated Snickers and took a sit. I'm not usually a candy bar kind of guy, but sitting on that porch, it was just the ticket. I learned all about the new 'walk across' border crossing that's re-opening in Big Bend from the guy that is in charge of it. The crossing will close at 5:00 and he seemed almost excited about the fact that he's sure to strand some people that lose track of time. Another guy said he'd come down from Dallas for a weekend vacation and never went back. He used to have a Harley, but said he likes to have a drink now and then (he had at least four in the time I was there) so has four wheelers now. Can't fall off. As easily.

View from the porch. I can see how you could spend several hours here... then around 5:00 apparently the "Starlight" opens up next door. It's an old movie house that's now a proper bar. The door was open on the Dodge pickup the entire time I was there. Sometimes you just get too tired to shut your truck door I reckon.

Gas in Study Butte and up next, on to Santa Elena Canyon...
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #126
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 16 - Big Bend Part Dos

When we last left our Triumph mounted crusader in search of endless summer, he had just had a relaxing sit at the Terlingua Mercantile...

I put my helmet back on to leave Terlingua and "OUCH" what the heck is that? Sharp pain on my handsome bald head. Yanked the helmet back off and a medium sized bee flew out (and promptly got swatted and stomped on for his indiscretion). I'm not allergic to bee stings as far as I know, but dang, this really smarted. Couldn't feel a stinger in my head. No blood. I asked myself how many fingers I was holding up. I said 3 and that must have been correct because I let myself get back on the road. Took about a half hour for the throbbing in my noggin to stop though.

So far, the ride had been in the Big Bend State Park. I entered the Big Bend National Park with the intent of riding down to see the Santa Elena canyon. There's a long paved way to get there and there's a shorter dirt way to get there. I asked the park ranger gal what the condition of the dirt "Old Maverick Road" was... she said they were recommending 4X4 and High Clearance for that road. Hmm. I looked and I was 2 wheels short but decided to chance it. I think it was around 14 miles down a really decent gravel/dirt road. Had a few rocky and/or soft sections where it crossed washes but nothing heart-racing.

Santa Elena Canyon was spectacular. Like something out of Lord of the Rings. This is the Rio Grande running through it. Where I was standing it was only about 30 feet wide and not very deep. Easy walk to Mexico from here!

Had to backtrack on Old Maverick Road to get out of the park and then headed back to Ft Davis, had to get back in time to get some dinner, then head to the "star party" at the McDonald Observatory. 292 miles for the day.

My plan was to try the little restaurant across the street but it's closed on Tuesdays and Wednesday. Apparently they didn't know I was going to be there on a Tuesday when they enacted that policy.

So I ended back up at the General Store/Pharmacy/Soda Fountain/Restaurant next door again for Surf and Turf.

The ride up to the observatory was fantastic. It's about 16 miles northwest of town on the "Davis Mountain Loop". What a road!!! Climbing and twisting all the way.

Ft. Davis had gotten about 15 inches of snow about a week or so ago. There was still some left up by the observatory. First snow I've seen since leaving Iowa. But not the last as we'll find out in future installments...

The McDonald Observatory sits on Mount Locke and Mount Fowles. This is supposedly one of the "darkest" places in the US. Well... it is when the moon isn't out. Darn old moon washed out a lot of the stars and galaxies you'd be able to see on a moonless night. They had some really good views of the moon though. The coolest thing we looked at was a 'nebula' where new stars are getting created. Also had a good view of Jupiter and it's moons. I'd do it again, but would want to make sure the moon isn't out.

Best t-shirt in the McDonald Observatory gift shop? "What happens in the black hole, stays in the black hole"

The ride back to town was entertaining, albeit, slower in the dark.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #127
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

WNWT Day 17

Awoke Wednesday again in Ft. Davis. The day's goal was to ride back roads to Deming, NM to meet up with Jeff (buls4ever). High 40's and sunny and getting warmer... another great riding day.

One of the first things I saw as I struck out was a UFO. At least it was unidentified to me. My guess was weather balloon or a spacecraft piloted by Elvis and his co-pilot Sasquatch. Turns out, as Jeff would explain, there's several of these (I've seen two other ones now) across the south and their purpose is to create a "line" that monitors for incoming aircraft from the south that might not be friendly to us. If you squint and use your good eye, you can see it in the clear, blue, Texas sky.

Cruising along. More-or-less middle of nowhere and go by this joint

Really, there was nothing else around. And I'm pretty sure I've not seen any gals in this area that would be interested in Prada... but there it was.

Desolate stretches between Ft. Davis and El Paso... long stretches of road and low mountains.

Guadalupe mountains. This is the highest peak in Texas at 8,749 feet.

Now headed west, went by Linda Lake... a salt lake in north west Texas.

On the stretch of 62/180 from Guadalupe National Park to El Paso, there were quite a few, umm, "rustic" homes. Mobile homes, pull behind campers, small cabins... all set up as permanent residences. Several of them would have been self sufficient... have a well, running off generators, maybe a solar panel or two. Very interesting.

Got to El Paso and pulled in for gas and a snack around lunchtime. Something I'd observed all through Texas was that nearly every gas station/convenience store had big open trays full of 24oz tallboys on ice. First thing in the morning. So now I'm hanging around a gas station on the east side of El Paso as the different contractor trucks come and go getting their lunch. I'm probably being conservative if I say that 75% of them took tallboys with them for lunch. I see. Can I get my plumbing work done in the morning please?

Getting through El Paso was fairly drama free. Got a good look at Juarez... yikes... not appealing from the view on I-10. Crossed into New Mexico on the west side of El Paso.

Dear Texas, thanks for everything, it's been fun. Never have a been in a state that smelled like bar-b-que and burning mesquite always and everywhere.

Now, I'd thought I'd ridden through desolate country in Texas, but that was nothing compared to highway 9 across south New Mexico. No houses, trailers, or... anything. Not even utility poles. Only thing I ever saw was glimpes of The Fence and a couple of border patrol guys out skulking about.

Stopped in Columbus for gas before the last 30 mile run into Deming. That was the slowest gas pump I've ever used. I've seen dogs drool more faster than that pump was putting out.

Rolled into Jeff's place in Deming to a great welcome. Fellow motorcycle guys just click, no matter what background or location. We had a Corona (or two) on the porch and enjoyed the late afternoon warmth and discussed the history of the area (Jeff is a history geek too). Jeff took me to a joint outside of town called the Adobe Flats restaurant in Akela Flats, NM. What a funky restaurant. It's in a former school house and is what I'd call exceedingly decorated. Yeah, I know, crappy pictures. Doesn't make the place any less cool.

Spotted an Iowa Hawkeyes hat on a nearby table. Table of four snowbirds from the Washington, IA area. I got invited to a "Iowan Gathering" in Deming the first week of February. Thanks for the invite, but I can't make it, gotta be in San Diego. Priorities.

Had a tasty BBQ sandwich. Really too big to eat but I did anyway. Hmm, maybe I'm getting too good at this.

Meet Spooky Cat... can you say "relaxed"?

Jeff laid his ride plan for Thursday on me. Sounded great... and it was. Stay tuned.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #128
TheGirlfriend
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Count down :)

Yep, 36 hours and we will be in the same state!! Can wait for a big hug!! I can no longer contain my happy!

See ya very soon!!
Ride safe!
TheGirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #129
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,133
..Great pics! The movie set along the Rio Grande was used in the movie Streets of Larado with James Gardner. Its suppose to be the town of Ojinga which is across the river from Presidio. Its a good movie if you like westerns, which I do. Watch the movie Lonesome Dove first to see what Woodward Call was up too prior to going south of the border. Better yet just read the books by Larry McMurtry. I have to stop at that restaurant if I'm ever in Ft. Davis again. Keep the pictures coming. One of Jeff popping a wheeie would be sweet...
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #130
iowawoodsracer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Prada in Marfa is

Apparently a sculpture. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prada_Marfa

Interesting.
iowawoodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #131
iowawoodsracer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat View Post
..Great pics! The movie set along the Rio Grande was used in the movie Streets of Larado with James Gardner. Its suppose to be the town of Ojinga which is across the river from Presidio. Its a good movie if you like westerns, which I do. Watch the movie Lonesome Dove first to see what Woodward Call was up too prior to going south of the border. Better yet just read the books by Larry McMurtry. I have to stop at that restaurant if I'm ever in Ft. Davis again. Keep the pictures coming. One of Jeff popping a wheeie would be sweet...
The McMurtry books are great. Lonesome Dove, Streets of Laredo, Dead Mans Walk and Comanche Moon, in proper order. All great westerns about Texas Rangers in the 1800s. Kelly would have already passed McMurtry's hometown of Archer City TX.
iowawoodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #132
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowawoodsracer View Post
The McMurtry books are great. Lonesome Dove, Streets of Laredo, Dead Mans Walk and Comanche Moon, in proper order. All great westerns about Texas Rangers in the 1800s. Kelly would have already passed McMurtry's hometown of Archer City TX.
Excuse me for being rude and hijacking this thead but the books Dead Mans Walk and Comanche Moon were books 1 and 2... McMurtrys book series starting with Sin Killer were great too. McMurtry dabbles in wild west history in his books so Kelly should enjoy them. Kelly... I wish you would have posted a picture or two of the historic roadside markers in Texas.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #133
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGirlfriend View Post
Yep, 36 hours and we will be in the same state!! Can wait for a big hug!! I can no longer contain my happy!

See ya very soon!!
Ride safe!
Just a hug? . . Really?
Poor guy.....

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #134
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowawoodsracer View Post
Apparently a sculpture. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prada_Marfa

Interesting.

Awesome! Now I can add "saw some art and sculpture" to things I accomplished on the ride. Shows I'm edjumacated and high brow.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #135
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
Just a hug? . . Really?
Poor guy.....
You haven't seen the manner in which The Girlfriend hugs...