ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 03:41 AM   #61
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer
 
1coolbanana's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
I've had mine for 2+ years. No issues. You shouldn't have any as it only reverses the pump. Is the check valve correctly functioning?
Dont know, it would mean taking the Safari tanks off to find out
__________________
Cowabunga dudes................Wuuuuka Wuka

2012 990 R
2004 950 A..........sadly missed
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:22 AM   #62
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana View Post
Dont know, it would mean taking the Safari tanks off to find out
I hear your pain... Same here...
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #63
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer
 
1coolbanana's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,399
Bluhduh Short Term feedback

Well unfortunately my purge unit completely failed after 2 months and has been causing significant parasitic draw on the battery of late, nearly flattening it a couple of times.

It has been replaced under warranty (but not the check valve).

I have re-installed the new one and seems to be fine except for the extra cranking on cold starts.
At least 3 seconds worth of cranking which it never did prior, was always instant like when hot.
It has also been suggested that this problem could be due to some of the pump o rings leaking back but I imagine that if that was the case I would have the same hard start after sitting for a while but thats not the case.

Anyone experiencing similar harder than normal cold starts after sitting overnight since fitting the unit?
__________________
Cowabunga dudes................Wuuuuka Wuka

2012 990 R
2004 950 A..........sadly missed

1coolbanana screwed with this post 07-22-2014 at 03:03 AM
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #64
ciedema
мотоциклист
 
ciedema's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: On the road! Finally!
Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana View Post
Well unfortunately my purge unit completely failed after 2 months and has been causing significant parasitic draw on the battery of late, nearly flattening it a couple of times.

It has been replaced under warranty (but not the check valve).

I have re-installed the new one and seems to be fine except for the hard cold starts.
At least 3 seconds worth of cranking which it never did prior, was always instant like when hot.
It has also been suggested that this problem could be due to some of the pump o rings leaking back but I imagine that if that was the case I would have the same hard start after sitting for a while but thats not the case.

Anyone experiencing similar harder than normal cold starts after sitting overnight?
To me the longer cranking time would be expected behaviour as the system is effectively taking fuel out the system by running the pump in reverse.
__________________
Stories from the Seat Facebook My Photos Cannonball Charity Ride
Personal Attacks - the last refuge of the intellectually impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 AM   #65
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer
 
1coolbanana's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciedema View Post
To me the longer cranking time would be expected behaviour as the system is effectively taking fuel out the system by running the pump in reverse.
I would tend to agree accept for as soon as you turn on the ignition the fuel pump runs and primes.
Some have said it should make no difference to startup.
Of the 2000 odd units that have been sold, no one with one seems to want to comment and or confirm whether its normal or not that it takes a few cranks more to start
__________________
Cowabunga dudes................Wuuuuka Wuka

2012 990 R
2004 950 A..........sadly missed
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:42 AM   #66
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana View Post
I would tend to agree accept for as soon as you turn on the ignition the fuel pump runs and primes.
Some have said it should make no difference to startup.
Of the 2000 odd units that have been sold, no one with one seems to want to comment and or confirm whether its normal or not that it takes a few cranks more to start
Since the pump primes upon switching the ignition on, it don't have any delays on start ups. Fires right up.
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #67
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer
 
1coolbanana's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
Since the pump primes upon switching the ignition on, it don't have any delays on start ups. Fires right up.
Thanks.
Is there any reason I may be getting this delay that you know of?
Just to confirm, have you also removed the internal check valve from the pump?

Bugger, might have to take the pump out again
__________________
Cowabunga dudes................Wuuuuka Wuka

2012 990 R
2004 950 A..........sadly missed
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:55 AM   #68
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana View Post
Thanks.
Is there any reason I may be getting this delay that you know of?
Just to confirm, have you also removed the internal check valve from the pump?

Bugger, might have to take the pump out again
Sorry for the delay. I'm on the road.
Yes the internal check valve has been removed and an inline valve added.
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #69
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer
 
1coolbanana's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,399
OK, thanks for that.
Looks like Ill have to take the safaris off again and strip the pump down.
Im very reluctant since its running so well otherwise.
__________________
Cowabunga dudes................Wuuuuka Wuka

2012 990 R
2004 950 A..........sadly missed
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 AM   #70
rumguzzler
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Pomona QLD
Oddometer: 45
Hey 1Coolbanana ,
I have had a Dalby Moto purge module on my 08 990ADV for a couple of years now I guess. When I got the kit it didnt have the replacement check valve , so mine has the standard pump internals.
Prior to me installing the module I had replaced the fuel filters twice in about 10000Kms, once out at Longreach (PITA ) and once at Dalby Moto themselves. Since its been fitted I have done around 10000Kms without the dreaded blocked fuel filter symptoms. My bike starts quickly hot or cold.

I am constantly on the look out for a fuel tank sock filter that will fit the 990 ADV but they seem to be unobtainable .

Anyway mate, I hope you get your starting sorted but it doesn't sound like its a major drama... maybe worth just living with it instead of chasing one problem and potentially finding another.

Matt.
rumguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:33 AM   #71
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer
 
1coolbanana's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumguzzler View Post

Anyway mate, I hope you get your starting sorted but it doesn't sound like its a major drama... maybe worth just living with it instead of chasing one problem and potentially finding another.

Matt.
Thanks Matt, I think Ill do just that for now and just live with it for now
__________________
Cowabunga dudes................Wuuuuka Wuka

2012 990 R
2004 950 A..........sadly missed
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #72
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry
 
LocuL's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Denmark - Jutland
Oddometer: 1,243
Sorry for maybe a dumb wuestion, but this purge mode. Isn´t it achieveble by making som reversed +/- relay. Would it not be possible as long its DC.

regards
__________________
KTM 950(1190) Adv-s, Soon to be Project 1190
KTM 530 EXC-R 08
LocuL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #73
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!
 
bikyto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Northern Cali
Oddometer: 2,154
pretty much yes. it runs 15 sec after the ignition is turned off for a specific amount of time. About 10 sec.
__________________
The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself...
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014