ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Schickmeister OP
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,662
Blue Ridge - Best Segment to Ride?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but search is tough to pinpoint these things.

I'll be riding up from Key West back to home in Jersey at the end of March and would like to spend a day on the BRP. I'll be coming from the Charleston, SC area on my way up.

Any suggestions on the best part to hit? I wouldn't mind spending the night right off the BRP and make a two day affair out of it.

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
The southern most portion from where the parkway begins at 441 in Cherokee to 276 just below Asheville is the best stretch with great twisties, elevation and minimal traffic.

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
stretch160
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
the southern most 50 miles in my opinion. Definitely the twistiest section.
stretch160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,743
Ride as much of the southern section as time allows.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,399
Sections may or may not be closed if there's been winter weather. Make sure you check in advance.

Edit: Just noticed you said "end of March", but still check nonetheless.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,643
Cherokee to Asheville is the best section to ride. However look at your routing.

If you are coming from Charleston SC the shortest route to the area dumps you out in Asheville. The parkway between Cherokee and Asheville pretty much runs East/West in that area, so you will need to either plan a Southern route that loops you up toward Cherokee or plan to start in Asheville and end in Cherokee. If you run the parkway south then you will be able to either ride on over to Deals Gap if that is your thing, or head North on 441 through GSMNP once you get to Cherokee.

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is right off the Parkway off Hwy. 276 and they have cabins and tent camping if you want to stay and play. There are lots of other roads in the area.

http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 AM   #7
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
SC-NC ride

Hi there.
I was lucky enough to had a ride around that area.
Yeah, as many people said, that is awesome place for ride, especially during autumn like I had this year.
All the twisties are wonderful, good road conditions, lots of campgrounds, motels, hotels etc...
If you have time, take a look on my trip report there. I think I was putting clear enough all the tracklogs and name of the places where I had been to.
I have spent a night in BlueRidge Motorcycle Campground which mentioned above. Pix come along for your reference.

LINK

P/S:
- Carolina ride from end of page 2.
- Sorry for slowdown your computer because of tons of pix.

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
My advice...get on the BRP as southernly possible and ride it north. The southern part is the best but the whole Parkway is great. There is so much to see along the whole course. I would ride north for as long as time allowed the hop on I-81 and super slab it to NJ.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Can't really say there are any bad parts of the BRP. I'm partial to the section where I live.
From Charleston you could head north thru Charlotte and stay on 77 until you hit the BRP then take a nice little ride in the general direction of your destination. No hurries, plenty to see and enjoy.

We say that the BRP is used to funnel tourists away from the good roads and places to visit so do take the time to explore while you're in the neighborhood.

If you do come up 77 to the BRP get off at exit #1 in VA, gas up at the truck stop there then head up Pipers Gap Rd to the BRP. If you've got a little time, explore the area, if not just hit the Parkway there and relax. Pipers Gap is a good road but you'll need to chill out before riding it if you've been on the highway for an extended period.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
No idea how time you have, but start as far South as you can ( I-40 maybe?) Ride north to I-77, take I-77 north, when you get to WV hang a right, any right, and plot a Northeastly route. It may be a little out of the way but it will be worth it. The BRP with its 45mph speed limit gets old after a few hundred miles
Rob578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Schickmeister OP
Youngin'

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
travlin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Cherokee to Asheville is the best section to ride. However look at your routing.

If you are coming from Charleston SC the shortest route to the area dumps you out in Asheville. The parkway between Cherokee and Asheville pretty much runs East/West in that area, so you will need to either plan a Southern route that loops you up toward Cherokee or plan to start in Asheville and end in Cherokee. If you run the parkway south then you will be able to either ride on over to Deals Gap if that is your thing, or head North on 441 through GSMNP once you get to Cherokee.

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is right off the Parkway off Hwy. 276 and they have cabins and tent camping if you want to stay and play. There are lots of other roads in the area.

http://www.blueridgemotorcyclecamp.com/
Agree 100%! Blue Ridge is my favorite campground smack in the middle of the best section of the parkway. I also agree with the post on WV. A great ride is pick up 220 in Covington VA. Heading north zig. sag across the spine of the Alleghenies between 220 in VA. and 92 in WV. 39, 84, 250, and 33 are all excellent cross routes.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
VietHorse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,202
It may be better if knowing your riding style.

If you don't need hi-speed, you may ride BRP without any concern. There are long radius curves, nice landscape, very scenic, but people said that there are lots of Po-po. (I heard that many many times, before I was riding there. However, when I was there, I have seen only one police car).

If you like twisty road, enjoy with speed and dragging your knees, I prefer the Cherohala Skyway more than BRP.
I am not quite sure about the other time in the year, but the BRP and the roads around BlueRidge Motorcycle Campground are very busy when I was there. You for sure don't like to ride at the middle of a long long convoy of tourist cars.

What I would like to do if being there again is: stay http://www.twowheelinn.com/ , ride the Dragon before dark and early morning of the next day, then ride the Cherohala Skyway.

My tracklog for the mentioned routes:

Link to All about VietNam

VietHorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Schickmeister OP
Youngin'

Excellent further info....lots to consider....thanks all! Keep it comin!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Clockwatcher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
My 2 cents.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
Excellent further info....lots to consider....thanks all! Keep it comin!
If you have 2 days thats plenty of time to ride the full length of the BRP. Start in cherokee and finish in waynesboro........
Let me know if you want some company on the first leg..........
Clockwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote