User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Tubsta OP
Too much farkle

Oddometer: 338
Question Soft Pannier Options

Now I have my new bike, it is time to get the luggage sorted out. This time I am going soft so my options are:

Racks:
Andy Strapz Racks
Barrett Racks
Wolfman Side Racks

Bags:
Andy Strapz Expedition
Wolfman Expedition

I am wanting to keep the money in the country so looking at local manufacturers. Have I left out other options that are available? Does anyone have any feedback on soft luggage, setups or configurations from above? Oh, I do want to go an aftermarket exhaust in the not to distant future so frames need to be able to fit both original pipe(s) and a slip-on.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,417
I've got Wolfman, racks and bags, and I've been happy although the size of the Andy's is bigger.

Wolfman certainly aren't made here in Aus so if you want a locally made product then count them out.

Have a look at Steel Pony. http://www.steelpony.com.au/
Old 11-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Beet
adventurer

Oddometer: 559
carnt talk about racks as i build my own. But I've put some 140,000ks on my Andy Stapps throw overs, VERY HAPPY. In saying that I've not tried others so they may be as good or better. Thought there was 'Steel Ponies panniers' made in WA i think.
Beet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
Tubsta OP
Too much farkle

Nice bags at http://www.steelpony.com.au/

Not good though when you want to support local:
Quote:
DUE TO THE TEMPORARY UNAVAILABILITY OF MATERIAL WE ARE UNABLE TO TAKE ANY MORE ORDERS AT THIS TIME. WE WILL BE ABLE TO TAKE ORDERS AFTER WE RECEIVE STOCK.
Thanks for the tips guys. Keeping all options open at this point in time. All pricing is around the same amount, so that won't be a deciding factor.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 943
I own the Andystrapz panniers, but I've used the Wolfman panniers fairly extensively too overseas.

I'd go for the Andystrapz hands down.

The wolfman panniers are pretty rugged, but the andystraps canvas is tougher, hands down. I've seen holes abraded in them with small falls and general abrasion that the andystraps would have just shrugged off. The wolfman rack mounting is pretty secure, but you have to have their racks, and the plastics buckles are right in the impact zone. This isn't an issue with Andy panniers, and they're fitted on all three bikes I've used them on, with no racks, for thousands of ks offroad, with no security or rubbing problems. The most I've even done is tape some towels to soften the contact zones and keep my paint nice and shiny.

Even better, pretty much any canvas or tent place can mod or repair the Andy Bags, and it's dirt cheap. I had some re-enforced backing, extra velcro and some internal pockets added for a trip, cost me $30 at the local auto upholsterers. Bonza.

Their top bags (AA Bagz) are great too. The little one was all I ever used for weekend trips, and with an elastic strap (one of the Andystrapz) over the top, it was rock solid.

And no, I don't work for andy!

Jdeks screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 05:43 PM
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
marlboroughlad
crash bang wallop

Oddometer: 1,160
have a read of andys thread in vendors. his bags crash well and anyone can fix em

the wolfman racks are very strong. strong enough to transfer enough force to bend the steel subframe on a triumph tiger and write it off.
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
dazza67
Porky Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
R-Jays throw overs?
Good price!
dazza67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Russ

Oddometer: 15,476
Andy Strapz -- I have had a set for years that have done somewhere around 400 000 kms
I think they will be good for many years to come still.
The straps are getting a little frayed but it's no biggie.

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
DrWatson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I have Andy Strapz on my G650XC with TT pannier rails. Works well. I also got the bags made wider (front to rear) by about 100mm to cover the racks nicer and to hold more gear without sticking out. I put plastic jerry cans in them (will fit in standard size I believe as well) with the tops cut out. Helps with packing etc. I stuff things like spare tubes, cold weather/wet weather gear down the gaps at the rear.

Andy also does good post sale service on repairs, which is very handy!
DrWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
Philmeup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I've got the andyz bags and racks for the DR 650. Just came back from a 2000k loop of the green triangle. I was pretty happy with both except I'm now going to reinforce the rear of the racks. Dropped the bike a few times in the sand and the racks folded in a bit resulting in the right bag touching hot muffler and melting a strap. Also had trouble strapping bottom of the bags firmly to the racks, even with his green Strapz.
My tip is tie em on well, leave em on and if you want something from the bottom remove the liner only. Unpack, repack the liner then shove it back in the bag still strapped to the bike. Saves heaps of time and frustration.
Philmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
panhead_pete
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,082
Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags are nice and roomy, maybe too big, super easy to put on and off and also removable liner. No damage after throwing the DR down either. Racks are my rear crash bars on the Tiger. SHITloads cheaper from RMATV than anywhere local.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
AdvParamedic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubsta View Post
Now I have my new bike, it is time to get the luggage sorted out. This time I am going soft so my options are:

Racks:
Andy Strapz Racks
Barrett Racks
Wolfman Side Racks

Bags:
Andy Strapz Expedition
Wolfman Expedition

I am wanting to keep the money in the country so looking at local manufacturers. Have I left out other options that are available? Does anyone have any feedback on soft luggage, setups or configurations from above? Oh, I do want to go an aftermarket exhaust in the not to distant future so frames need to be able to fit both original pipe(s) and a slip-on.

Thanks!

Go for the Magadan panniers. best thing i ever did!

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html

Gx
Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
Russ

Oddometer: 15,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvParamedic View Post
Go for the Magadan panniers. best thing i ever did!

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...-panniers.html

Gx
They look like Andy strapz bags ony $200.00 more I hope they are worth the extra coin
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Tubsta OP
Too much farkle

Thumb

Well, I think the pannier bags are sorted based on the huge thumbs up here. Seems Andy's bags are best of the best. Now the frames... I'd go Andy's frames but the design would foul an after market pipe and two bolt holes that are needed are non-existent when a after market pipe is put on.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
...but you have to have their racks..."
Bullshit!

Barrett racks are designed for wolfman AND hard luggage AND ROTOPAX fuel carriers AND they are made in AUS by an Aussie in his own shed/workshop.

One mate runs the hard luggage and one runs the soft BUT both are on Barrett racks!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote