User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
snowypete OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Unc and den, I'm chasing up a Wesprint c.s.r. Ed5 map, thanks

I read somewhere the biggest prob the boys in blue have at Halls Creek with travellers on the Canning is not so much lack of food and water or mechanical probs but people just getting lost.
Back in '06 a fellow adventurelander (centerlink, Melbourne - a JFDI gun - his 3rd outback trip) did the Billy to Wiluna with dump solo and unaided. Noted he had similar problems (with some idiots souveniring signs) with a compass and maps; his GPS shit itself on the Tanami. He worked out how to continue on with a few 'am I on the right track' moments.

Has anyone who has done the Canning had similar probs?

Just F&*%$#g Do It

Snowypete
snowypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 AM   #17
UncleGra
CRASHING BORE

Oddometer: 2,846
www.westprint.com.au. I had ed 4...Tony had something different ..had lots of pics and track notes, I dont know what the publication was..But with the 2 mapsets combined we were able to stay on track..but we did have puzzled looks on our dials at times.
There were CSR markers made out of bits of tin or whatever along the track.
Tell ya the truth I cant remember if Tony had a GPS...I didnt.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #18
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,369
locating the wells

cannings party would locate a local tribe, a couple of the horsemen would cut the young buck from the tribe and put a chain around his neck and instruct him to show them his water sink(supply). these are the wells that originally formed the canning. they located and surveyed the wells going north and built the wells on the way back south.
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #19
snowypete OP
Adventurer

Yep Digga1111,

For 30,000 years the aboriginies were happily minding their own business. In 1896 (100 years exactly before the intro of the DR650SE) Europeans went out to see whats out there.

The Calvert expedition which did it hard, 2 died of thirst and another just shot himself dead by accident.

In 1906 Canning started the stock route. Looks like a Ed Blake tried to right the wrongs.

Canning ended up in a royal commission, the judge Alexander Forrest (Twiggy's great, great) told off Canning, basically saying don't do it again (harsh times).

The strong appeal of the CSR is its very recent history (100 years). Where else in the world is there anything similar. Its challenges seem to be like the Birdsville Track of the '50s and earlier.

The first vehicle did the CSR in 1968.

I just feel pity for people who have never been on a bike.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
LaudJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Since you are up that way, would you consider adding in the Gibb River road, a loop from Halls Creek, Derby, Kununurra back to the start of the CSR would only be another aprox 1,500kms and would get in some nice scenery?

Also do you have a budget for this one. I am thinking almost $1k in fuel, but quite a bit of camping would be involved so accommodation and food cost would not be too high. Your route would be a long time between beers so there would be a savings there.

What about Tyres? Your original post gives about 3,500 to the Alice and I would guess about 5,000 to Cooper Pedy. If you put on new ones at the Alice I would say that the rear tyres would be pretty shot by Cooper Pedy. Taking a spare rear may be an idea (especially if it is a 17 inch).

Were you planning on visiting Ayres Rock and Kings Canyon as well? Are you open to some itinerary changes?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
Reckless Relic
Adventurer

Me too, but not this year

The CSR is on my radar and have started the planning for a 2014 trip.
I have to ask what are you riding and what sort of setup are you using to carry that amount of fuel and water, a trip like this is one of those unique Australian experiences that just has to be done enjoy the journey.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #22
GSDisciple
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Fuel Dump

Snowypete

You might find the link to our RR useful.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819854

Fuel dump was invaluable for our trip.......

Good luck

JP
GSDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #23
snowypete OP
Adventurer

Yep LaudJohn,

Always interested in being flexible with the itinary. As long as the trip does not overload the various riders.

The rock and Olgas is def. on the menu. Kings Canyon can easily be added.

--- actually a great addition. It gives the chance of a helmet free day.

Like with most trips, all options are considered outside the core or skeleton route.
1. the Simo with Chambers Pillar, with the Fink, Olga & the Rock.
2. The Canning and the Gun
3. Part of the Connie Sue and Ann B to Coober
4. Coober to home?

The time, the weather, how the riders are going, how the bikes are travelling all play their part in working out how the ride unfolds.

Basically cost. Part of the aim of an independent type ride is to keep expenses down while doing an awful lot. Personally I would expect the approx. 10,000km ride to be about $5000 (as a ball park).

Tyres - have had great results in the past with Pirelli MT21s, but likely to use Mitas E09s (Dakars).

As fellow inmate Ozant got it spot on....with persistence and good humour and never be fazed...will always make a great ride!!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #24
snowypete OP
Adventurer

You know your alive and enjoying life when you just inhale....a meat pie (old Betsy - legend).

I'm new to this adventure forum thing, your ride report....GS DISCIPLE.....I didn't know of but is absolutely fantastic. Great photos and lots of laughs. You fellas shared what ad. riding in outback Oz is all about.

Simply terrific, the pleasure and pain, challenging yourself in a great an unforgiving country.

Never come across that Carawine Gorge - a gem.

Everthing about WA is big - a speed camera on the moon would be able to flash those WA number plates.

Snow
Old 02-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #25
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Snowy, what bike are you planning this trip on? Luggage, fuel? Certainly be interested to follow your progress!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 AM   #26
LaudJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

I did some research on The CSR the other day.

It will take aporox 8 days to ride, given that not all of the wells have drinkable water and you need to plan your stops accordingly.

My issue is that you are looking at 9-10 days (from Alice or Halls Gap) in a desert without a cold beer!

The Kunawarrritji Community in the middle is now (since 2011) a dry town.

Wiluna at the end has a pub.

Now the last time I went that long without a beer was in 1988 when I travelled across Iran and Pakistan by public transport. By the time I reached Lahore about 12 days after leaving Turkey I spent 2 days getting a permit to buy alcohol (surprisiongly beer is considered alcohol, whereas I consider it a life source) and overnight in the proocess I had 13 pieces of paper in my hand - but that is another story.

I am not sure that the fuel dump is a viable option, minimum of a 44 gallon drum and it is only a couple of hundred km's after Kunawarritji, I think some fuel cans would be a better option.

Snowypete, is there some reason you want to do the Anne Beadle as opposed to the Gunbarrell all the way to the Alice or nearby and then down to coober pedy?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #27
Cane Cutter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
AB Highway

Two of us did the AB last year and left Cober with 83 lts each on 950SE and used 70lts to Ilurka.$3 a liter for Opel crap and no water for the first 650 ks.Good hard sand ride.
The Tanami will be a long stretch as well without Rabbit Flat?
Cane Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 AM   #28
snowypete OP
Adventurer

Relic,

As we are all taught the golden rule by the teacher at AD Rider School.

------- less weight, less weight, less weight
First priority - petrol, in french is called essence, in African Swahilli its called mafuta ya petroli, here in Oz its motion lotion (banana bender inmate).
The standard 30ltr plus safari when required a full 20ltr steel gerry, flat down and tied over hard over pillion seat and rack. Nozzle cap end to back opposite muffler side (makes a good rest point for back pack when sitting) plus 10ltrs steel gerry on modified pillion peg (non pipe side). Plus for insurance another 5ltr or so in disposible plastic container(s) for at the start.

Second priority - water - 10ltr on pipe side, modified pillpeg
Third priority........

The sub frame is usually the part of the bike most likely to cause problems after punctures, therefore the golden rule, and aim, to centre and lower the heavier bits.

The weapon of choice is an '07 DR650, set up for outback marathon running.

I'm sure you'll have a memorable trip in winter '14.

In 18 months approx -- do you work at the local council approving planning permits?

By winter next year 100,000,000 extra indians will have been born.

Collingwood will be on track for back to back flags.

And Suzuki will still not have changed the DR650 SE except will have run out of paint colours for the tank.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #29
ckjackson1
High Country Red Neck

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowypete View Post
Hey ckjackson1,

It is written in the old testament, Deuteronony 2.page 10, paragraph 1.................and the lord spoke to his disciples on the mount --- put down your hammer and sickle for one month, sneek out the back door, hop on your KLR650, kick up some dust, explore and seek salvation in the desert.

Praiiiiiiizzzzzzz the lord -- amen
(hope no yanks read this or I'm in a lotta s#@t)
Bahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 02-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #30
LaudJohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowypete View Post

By winter next year .............

Collingwood will be on track for back to back flags.

And Suzuki will still not have changed the DR650 SE except will have run out of paint colours for the tank.
One of those things is highly probable,

the other is just plain fantasy!

and hear was me thinking you had common sense..............