User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
Chasenick OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Eh? I Need My First Bike?

As you can probably see from my avatar/profile I haven't been at this very long :) a friend got me into it in Santa Barbara and now I need a bike of my own. I'm looking for a XLR650 or equalish... Looking for something older around the $2k mark. When I get home off my phone ill post more info about myself but for now if anyone has something feel free to call me or text 602 663 1691. I'm excited about getting into the local scene!
Chasenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Not sure about pricing but their has been some dual sports popping up on Craigslist.
2014 Ktm 1190 R adventure
2003 Ural
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Your local scene appears to be Arizona, the prices should be a lot better there then Alaska

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
NorthernBoxer
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 544
I've got an '07 XR650L with upgrades that I would be willing to sell following the current MCN used bike value guide... But that's a bit more than your stated budget.
NorthernBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
Chasenick OP
n00b

I attended university in Arizona hence the 602 :) I am in Alaska to stay. Getting excited for the summer and getting a new bike.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Chasenick OP
n00b

I have a friend who has an 01 for 1500 but alas it's in New York, looking at the local rental shops for a good used boat
Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasenick View Post
As you can probably see from my avatar/profile I haven't been at this very long :) a friend got me into it in Santa Barbara and now I need a bike of my own. I'm looking for a XLR650 or equalish... Looking for something older around the $2k mark. When I get home off my phone ill post more info about myself but for now if anyone has something feel free to call me or text 602 663 1691. I'm excited about getting into the local scene!
Escape while you have the opportunity! Don't even think of getting a bike, let alone "getting into the local scene". People on this forum will lead you astray, far astray. They will try to convince you, and probably succeed, that spending more money on your bike will make you happier. That taking it out and getting it muddy is cool. That going far from home on weekends to suffer windburn, mosquito bites, and cold rain is manly and builds character.

Flee! Don't ever return to this forum, you'll find yourself assimilated. And if you show up next winter at a Movie Night, I reserve the right to say "I told you so".
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Pissed Come to the Dark Side Friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Escape while you have the opportunity!

People on this forum will lead you astray, far astray. They will try to convince you, and probably succeed, that spending more money on your bike will make you happier.
So when you're ready... We've got a fleet of very shiny BMW's with 3year/36,000 mile warranties on them. Better yet, they have EFI, get 65 mpg and get this... they have HEATED GRIPS!!! oh and ABS brakes. They make you look 50lbs lighter, 10 years younger and have been known to lead one far and astray.

Come by and take a look... Do you want the red one? Or the blue one? Come now child, jump down the rabbit hole!

Happy to help you get on two wheels all you need is a signature. Preferably in blood. Muahhahahha.
trailsendbmw@gmail.com
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Chasenick OP
n00b

You guys are just too funny!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #10
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
I didn't see him mention price....so he must be offering them to you at your original $2k mark! I'd jump all over that if I were you.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
So when you're ready... We've got a fleet of very shiny BMW's with 3year/36,000 mile warranties on them. Better yet, they have EFI, get 65 mpg and get this... they have HEATED GRIPS!!! They make you look 50lbs lighter, 10 years younger and have been known to lead one far and astray. . .
Wow - this info is very tempting. I might be interested in a bike that makes me look 20 pounds lighter. Hmmmmm..... However I am more concerned about AlcanRider. Do you happen to have a shiny bike that would make him look 50 years younger? That way he would look like he's as old as the state that he lives in and loves to ride in.

Oops!!! If I am not more respectful of the Geezer, his voluminous fiancée may come after me.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #12
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayDuchessLives View Post
Wow - this info is very tempting. I might be interested in a bike that makes me look 20 pounds lighter. Hmmmmm..... However I am more concerned about AlcanRider. Do you happen to have a shiny bike that would make him look 50 years younger? That way he would look like he's as old as the state that he lives in and loves to ride in.

Oops!!! If I am not more respectful of the Geezer, his voluminous fiancée may come after me.

Last I heard you had two of those $200 DRs. Come on, give the guy a break and sell him one of your's. You'll have the added benefit of being able to keep up with someone. Well, assuming you remember to get gas.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Laugh Whoop Whoop!

This heated up nicely. Anyone else tired of typing and jonesing to ride?

$2000 will make a mighty fine down payment on a beautiful new BMW... Since whatever you find for $2000 will likely require monthly repairs, maybe $2000 and a monthly payment isn't such a bad option...

Plus you'll be the envy of DR & KLR riders everywhere!
trailsendbmw@gmail.com
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Chasenick OP
n00b

Tempting...nah my wife would never go for it. One of the best things is that we have no debt and for a young married couple it's amazing!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Wow you finished school and don't have any student loans? Thats great;do you have a real good job?

At 23 and married you can't afford any extra toys

Just IMO

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is online now   Reply With Quote