ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
Looksgoodinblack OP
LooksbetteronOrange

Oddometer: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
Well, it's only 55 miles from your new home. Ruge Subaru in Rhinebeck, NY. Very good reputation, well reviewed. Prices are usually 30-40% lower than metro dealers because the cost of doing business is much lower there. They also have all the tools and knowledge necessary to do the job well, and usually faster than independent shops. Might be worth getting a quote, and seeing what kind of feeling you get from speaking to them.

BTW, you got a schedule on the move yet?

Lenny
I will give them a call. Thanks Lenny. The move, looks like end of February.
'04 DL 650, '03 450 EXC - Plated, '07 X-Challenge

"What has been seen cannot be unseen"
Looksgoodinblack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #32
What-2-Do
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Pete,

I got a guy that works for me that use to work at a Subaru specialty shop in Lakewood, NJ Precision Tuning. He says give them a call and talk to Rich, (732) 942-0020. Tell them http://www.WildRidesRaceCars.com sent ya. He says it will probably run you a bit over $2000.-.Let me know if you need anything.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #33
Looksgoodinblack OP
LooksbetteronOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by What-2-Do View Post
Pete,

I got a guy that works for me that use to work at a Subaru specialty shop in Lakewood, NJ Precision Tuning. He says give them a call and talk to Rich, (732) 942-0020. Tell them http://www.WildRidesRaceCars.com sent ya. He says it will probably run you a bit over $2000.-.Let me know if you need anything.
Gene,

thanks a million. I will call Rich and talk to him. Local Subaru dealer quoted me $2200 with new timing belt and heads machining. I'm sourcing the parts of internet as I don't want to pay dealer parts prices and I hope I can bring it little lower using independent shop and my parts. Funny part is that I paid little over $2000 for the car but I knew that the Head Gaskets will be an issue sooner or later just wished they will last little longer. Edyta likes the car so much already that we know it's keeper.

I just checked their website, these guys are definitely worth giving them a call.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #34

Oddometer: 5,288
If you don't find anyone I have become friendly with the service guys at Gran Prix in hicksville. I can give them a call and see if any of their techs do side work. Both our subarus go there for service and I havent had any issues with them yet.

Where did you guys find a house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #35
Looksgoodinblack OP
LooksbetteronOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
If you don't find anyone I have become friendly with the service guys at Gran Prix in hicksville. I can give them a call and see if any of their techs do side work. Both our subarus go there for service and I havent had any issues with them yet.

Where did you guys find a house?

That's a great tip. So far I have some standard quotes so a side work quote might be the score.

The house, we're escaping the island and moving to Putnam. Closer to my new job in Yonkers.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #36

Oddometer: 5,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack View Post

The house, we're escaping the island and moving to Putnam. Closer to my new job in Yonkers.
Good for you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #37
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looksgoodinblack View Post
So you get to drive through a lot of Westchester every work day, in the same direction as the other commuters.

Well at least no toll bridges to/from the island!
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #38
Looksgoodinblack OP
LooksbetteronOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
So you get to drive through a lot of Westchester every work day, in the same direction as the other commuters.

Well at least no toll bridges to/from the island!
That's true but the traffic volume is much more dispersed in Westchester. I look at the traffic on Taconic almost everyday and its not even close to the hell I'm going through everyday driving from and to Long Island. And we always wanted to move some place more rural. Putnam is not ideal. Bug it will do well for us

Old 01-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #39
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,487
Pete: I don't know if anyone mentioned this. While the engine is out, it is good parctice to replace the rear main seal (known to fail); valve cover gaskets & sealing grommets;Timing belt and external belts if due; and reseal the oil pump (particularly clean and loctite the screws on the back - they tend to loosen and leak).

A new thermostat and radiator hoses might also be in order if they are original.

Also: Don't use aftermarket parts - only Subaru. There is a lot af junk out there, even when bought from big name auto parts stores.

Good luck.
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #40
justme23005
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Its very common for the front crank seals to leak too.. I've done head gasket jobs on 2.2's without removing the engine.
justme23005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 PM   #41
Looksgoodinblack OP
LooksbetteronOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
Pete: I don't know if anyone mentioned this. While the engine is out, it is good parctice to replace the rear main seal (known to fail); valve cover gaskets & sealing grommets;Timing belt and external belts if due; and reseal the oil pump (particularly clean and loctite the screws on the back - they tend to loosen and leak).

A new thermostat and radiator hoses might also be in order if they are original.

Also: Don't use aftermarket parts - only Subaru. There is a lot af junk out there, even when bought from big name auto parts stores.

Good luck.
1. Rear main seal - since the engine is out, you're right. Why not, the main seal leaks are common whem PCV valves are clogged. Mine is clear and looks like it was replaced fairly recent nut I don't knoe the service history and it is common sense to do it.
2. Valve covers gaskets, etc. Good kits have them all included.
3. Timing belt and auxilary belts. They will all go. Don't know the service history, it just makes sense.
4. The oil pump. This is news for me. Thank you for pointing out.
5. Tstat and hoses. I have a story to tell about these when I lost the engine because of old hose 1K kilometers after6 £Pa major overhaul.

6. Parts. All gaskets from Subaru even though I have issues with parts that are known to fail. Timing belt kit from aftermarket.

Cam shafts seals will be replaced and valves reseated and adjusted.

Thank you for pointing these out. If ther is anything else please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme23005 View Post
Its very common for the front crank seals to leak too.. I've done head gasket jobs on 2.2's without removing the engine.
I've read about doing that but it may become more time consuming and doesnt give you the comfort of full access.

Looksgoodinblack screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 10:28 PM
Old 01-12-2013, 05:10 AM   #42
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
There's also a cover plate on the back side of the engine that will leak. Make sure you replace that gasket as well.

Can't recall if you said stick shift or not but may as well put a clutch in it while you're in there.

2 grand is the target figure for doing the job outside the stealership, give or take a couple hundred. It can be done in the car, but only masochists do it that way on a 2.5.

Love Subarus, but the 2.5 head gasket nonsense and expensive timing belt jobs made me say "no thanks" after 2 of them. Once fixed, however, they seem to last forever.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #43
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,618
I did the timing belt and serpentine belts on my Impreza 2.5i for about $200.00. With Subie parts, I didn't think that was too bad.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:28 AM   #44
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,097
Does the 13 still have belts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #45
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Does the 13 still have belts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, thankfully the '13 has chains. I was speaking of my '08. I did the belt at 95,000, I believe 105,000 is recomended, and I was wondering why I changed it. Still looked fine, in fact the timing marks printed on the belt were still visible.