Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Google or Youtube changing motorcycle tires. There are a lot of methods. Balancing information is there too.

I think dealers are stupid. Someone walks in with their new tires and wheels and say go away. That is $40 $60 bucks in 30 minutes if they have the equipment.

Motorcycle Superstore has a list of installers.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx

I looked up a few in my area. Most are $110.00 to $140.00 per set. That's just crazy
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Buy your own NoMar tire changer for that much. Two changes and you are making money.

Put the tires in the house and keep them warm when you change them. Warm tires are like warm butter and a warm knife verses cold butter and a cold knife.

I have a NoMar but this guy below shows a budget tire changer that is all you need.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/tire-changing.html

Old 01-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #33
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Buy your own NoMar tire changer for that much. Two changes and you are making money.

Put the tires in the house and keep them warm when you change them. Warm tires are like warm butter and a warm knife verses cold butter and a cold knife.

I have a NoMar but this guy below shows a budget tire changer that is all you need.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/tire-changing.html

I think the NoMar is the best DIY choice. It's a good unit for the price. Buying their balance stand is also a good idea and like you said.
After a few changes, you're saving money and can bank it for Farkles

You'll save money on mounting and balancing as well as tires. Buy em online and DIY! No need to put up with some shops crappy attitude while they hold your bike
hostage, making it last on the list of priorities
. You'll really enjoy doing it yourself.

You can wean yourself off relying on the shops for simple things like oil and tire changes. You should DIY anyways, IMO.

Multiplicity screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 01:40 PM
Old 01-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #34
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
I have never had trouble getting a tire mounted at any time in any shop. They generally charge about a half an hour labour per tire and get to it when they can unless they are really friendly. If you purchase the tire there, they are much more likely to get on while you wait or go have a pint and come back.

For the record they charged you a half hour per tire if you hand them your wheels only and usually both tires are mounted and balanced in about 20 minutes.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplicity View Post
Most dealer/indy shops won't mount tires you bought from somewhere else. It has nothing to do with brand or style.

They don't make anything on the tire sale and would need to charge to much to mount and balance them to get the profit margin back. It's all about the, Benjamin's
That's bullshit! If you bring in the wheels, it takes ten or twenty minutes max to change a tire. If they do both in 30 or 40 minutes and charge you, say, $25 each for the service, that's not an outrageous fee for you and will make them the equivalent of $75 to $100 per hour for the work (slow worker if it takes 40 min). If they're so worried about the liability, they should quit installing tires altogether. In fact, perhaps they should quit doing brakes too - a lot of liability there if they screw it up. Better still, just stop working on bikes - If they never do anything, they can't do anything wrong, can they?

We had a similar thread a few weeks back and I was told the dealers have to pay more for the tires than we can buy them on-line for (sounds fucking stupid to me - they should just buy them from the same place we do - especially independent shops) and make no money on them anyway - In which case you are saving them all the hassle of looking up, ordering and paying for tires, unloading them from the truck, storing them till you come in etc., etc. and they are making their money off the fitting. Can't have it both ways!

BTW - I have pretty limited experience with this but have NEVER had anyone refuse to mount a tire for me. When I found myself caught wth a near-bald tire on a trip, I bought a tire from a big accessory shop in Denver that didn't do mounting. The independent place a mile up the road did it with a smile - they asked me if I'd take the wheel off as they were busy and it would let them serve me faster (I was going to do that anyway). Don't remember what they charged but it wasn't ridiculous.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 08:15 PM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Hooligan View Post
... local dealer #1 who asked for my receipt for the tires in my hands. I said I bought them else where and was told that they do not install tires not purchased at the store. The next dealer said he would do them, in 8 days at a cost of $80.00 each tire. ...
Some of you guys have seriously shitty local dealers - I'm sorry to hear that.

Back in the UK, my local car tire store has the equipment to change bike tires but doesn't sell the tires. I bring in the (mail-ordered) tires on the back of my old airhead RT and they help me remove the wheels, mount the tires for me and chat with me while they're doing it. Last time I insisted on paying double because they were only going to charge me £5 (about $8) for the entire operation.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #37
XB12R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,099
I've been mounting tires for 40 years. I never balanced them until 3 years ago. I can't tell the difference.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #38
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
That's bullshit! If you bring in the wheels, it takes ten or twenty minutes max to change a tire. If they do both in 30 or 40 minutes and charge you, say, $25 each for the service, that's not an outrageous fee for you and will make them the equivalent of $75 to $100 per hour for the work (slow worker if it takes 40 min). If they're so worried about the liability, they should quit installing tires altogether. In fact, perhaps they should quit doing brakes too - a lot of liability there if they screw it up. Better still, just stop working on bikes - If they never do anything, they can't do anything wrong, can they?

We had a similar thread a few weeks back and I was told the dealers have to pay more for the tires than we can buy them on-line for (sounds fucking stupid to me - they should just buy them from the same place we do - especially independent shops) and make no money on them anyway - In which case you are saving them all the hassle of looking up, ordering and paying for tires, unloading them from the truck, storing them till you come in etc., etc. and they are making their money off the fitting. Can't have it both ways!

BTW - I have pretty limited experience with this but have NEVER had anyone refuse to mount a tire for me. When I found myself caught wth a near-bald tire on a trip, I bought a tire from a big accessory shop in Denver that didn't do mounting. The independent place a mile up the road did it with a smile - they asked me if I'd take the wheel off as they were busy and it would let them serve me faster (I was going to do that anyway). Don't remember what they charged but it wasn't ridiculous.
Have a look around and see what the going rates are. Just punch in the zip for an area.http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Installer.aspx
Mine was listing them for 110 to 140 per set. That's bullshit.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #39
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB12R View Post
I've been mounting tires for 40 years. I never balanced them until 3 years ago. I can't tell the difference.

Then why bother ?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #40
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
I hand my local Honda dealer my wheels, tires and $50. They give them back an hour later done right every time. I love my Honda dealer. :)
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #41
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Well let me ask this. How important is balancing the tires?
It's pretty rare tha you find a tire so out of round that you can feel the difference. I rate balancing as nice-to have but not critical on a GS. On a track bike I would balance them.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #42
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
From Ask Woody About Your Wheels

Maybe balancing debate is like an oil thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
here's my take on balancing after reading the comments in the above thread,,,,

FYI,,,last week i lurked and truth be told LMAO....at some of the arguments in behalf of ''NOT'' balancing that i read in the above thread......

So for all of you committed to unbalanced wheels ...keep on bouncing down the roadjust because YOU don't notice/feel it doesn't mean the rest of us can't see your wheels hopping all over the place....

Just because you can't feel it doesn't mean your suspension system isn't working overtime to accommodate the orbit your wheel is destined to spin in. It's not rocket science ,,just plain and simple physics.,,try holding a one pound bar of butter in one hand a five pound sack of potatoes in the other and hold your arms apart and start spinning,,,oooops there ya go...

FYI...you have to start with a true wheel..why??? because only a true wheel will give you a ghost of a chance to be balanced.....we can balance most anything ..just plaster weights on the wheel til it balances out no matter where you stop it in its orbit....

IF your balanced out of round wheel goes down the highway it will still hop...

IF your true wheel and tire are balanced without weights ,,you are lucky..then it will not bounce goin gdown the road

IF your true wheel and tire are not balanced due to rim locks or tire anomalies like a little extra rubber in the tire casing or your mag wheel having the casting off center then you will hop down the road

Rx
1.. check wheel for true if ok ,,go mount your tire,,, if not correct the problem BEFORE mounting a tire

2..check wheel for balance with tire mounted,,, if ok ,,hit the road ,,,if not add balance weights to correct the imbalance and enjoy a more balanced ride..if you don't ,,,,at least your suspension and tires will

did i say that right,,,i mean was it understandable???,,'cmon now it is 2010 folks,,,but what the hey,,if the Ludites still insist on candles and kerosene lantern,,the Menonites on riding around in horse drawn carriages why not have the nobalancites go hopping down the highway of life???,,,,i do keep re-minding my self that everywhere i look i see the face of god.
woody

Here's a trick that will appeal to the forward thinking crowd....i used it on all my road-race and street machines....FYI almost all wheels have anomalies in them that do not make them perfectly balanced even when they run very true.
I often see alloy wheels that were grabbed off-center in the machining process. These drop like a stone wherever the heavy spot is...as will any wheel show you its true heavy point....so on to the fine points

MAG/ALLOY WHEELS
1..take your wheel complete ie with brake discs and valve stem installed and put it on your balancer....
2..mark the heavy spot,,,this is your new TRUE reference point ,,it may or may not be by the valve stem
3..mount your tire with the weight dot of tire next to your TRUE reference point..Voila,,,a better balance with less/minimal rotating mass,,,every ounce counts

WIRE WHEELS
1...same as above BUT,,,this time mount your inner tube with retaining nuts snugged loosely and put just enough air in tube so that it sits snug on the rim,,,
2..now find and mark the TRUE heavy point.
3..continue mounting your tire and installing your new tire's light spot/dot next to your TRUE heavy point on wheel

woody
MRA #11

Old 01-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #43
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
I get my tires done at DualSport Plus here in Stoney Creek Ontario Canada.

They don't have a problem with any tires - cost is I think $60 bucks a wheel if they have to take them off or $40 bucks if you bring in the rims. Most times he lets me remove my wheel from the bike in his parking lot and I get them changed and put the thing back on and go home. (don't quote me on that price but it is close...)

Most times you don't have to wait but they do make so little from a tire change and tires are a pain even with a machine - easy but time.... I do understand.

That price includes balancing.

Les (owner) does a good job pricing tires and knows he can't compete with the online companies so offers them up at the same or close to internet prices - he figures you will be in the shop anyway and as he can't make money on them he doesn't sweat it. Smiles and changes the tires. Its like a loss-leader for him.

I figure it is the same for most all shops but the difference here in Canada is we don't have the silly liability issues like you guys have in the US.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #44
gastone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Join a local bmw owners club, or find a nice local inmate who has got a tire changer. If you find yourself in Fredericksburg, va and you need some fresh rubber, I've got a HF unit and a dirty garage, with no balancer. Come over, change your tires and then have a nice ride. Prior to picking up that unit I could think of at least 5 locals that have tire changers they'd let me use.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #45
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Well let me ask this. How important is balancing the tires?
I believe that is really personal choice... If you want to do it quick and cheap check this out!

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php