Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Quedok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I had the same thing happen to my BMW years ago. One of my neighbors in my building backed into it and knocked it over. I went to his unit and he said the car hadn't been moved all day. I had him come downstairs to see for himself and there it was. He looked me in the eye and all he could do was deny it. His car was still hot and there was incriminating marks on his bumper. He asked his son and daughter if they did it and of course the both denied it as well.

I called the police and they made out a report, hit and run because there was no driver. I had to go thru my insurance company to get it repaired and I notified them that he was the responsible party as per the police report. My insurance company then went after his insurance company to get him to pay. I did get the bike repaired and my insurance company helped me out on the deductable by over estimating to cover it. As for the guy who bumped it over, he was really pissed off because his insurance cancelled his policy.

I guess they can get away with things like this in his native Iran but not here......not with me.
I say go after this guy with everything available in your arsenal, otherwise people like this will walk all over you. I hope it works out for you.
Good Luck.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,968
Geez..you'd think somebody parking close to you every day to protect their ride would be equally careful of yours! Sorry about your VFR. Go thru police and insurance right away.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #18
wldct69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
I always worry about stuff like this. Good luck!
wldct69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
A woman tipped my Bandit over in a Duluth mall parking lot. Got to say, she couldn't have been nicer about it. Shit happens, and she was right there with her wallet open when the bills came in. She met me at the Suzuki store and authorized everything on the spot with her credit card. She even paid for my hotel for the night. Not at all a bad experience. I'm guessing, not typical?
Lyle
Was she hot? Did you get pics?
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #20
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedok View Post
I had the same thing happen to my BMW years ago. One of my neighbors in my building backed into it and knocked it over. I went to his unit and he said the car hadn't been moved all day. I had him come downstairs to see for himself and there it was. He looked me in the eye and all he could do was deny it. His car was still hot and there was incriminating marks on his bumper. He asked his son and daughter if they did it and of course the both denied it as well.

I called the police and they made out a report, hit and run because there was no driver. I had to go thru my insurance company to get it repaired and I notified them that he was the responsible party as per the police report. My insurance company then went after his insurance company to get him to pay. I did get the bike repaired and my insurance company helped me out on the deductable by over estimating to cover it. As for the guy who bumped it over, he was really pissed off because his insurance cancelled his policy.

I guess they can get away with things like this in his native Iran but not here......not with me.
I say go after this guy with everything available in your arsenal, otherwise people like this will walk all over you. I hope it works out for you.
Good Luck.
My neighbor pulled the same stunt. Ran into my work truck and then split the scene. I called the police and as we were looking at the damage (not much really) to my F250 I noticed her mini van looked a little 'beat up'. The nice lady officer knocked on her door and she confessed on the spot. Her insurance paid, no questions asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldct69 View Post
I always worry about stuff like this. Good luck!
I never worry about stuff like this. Life is too short.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #21
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
You know you're going to have a problem when you hear "I can't imagine that it's going to cost that much", I would have done a police report, pictures and insurance, doesn't sound like you like the guy to begin with so f!@# him. I'd be surprised that when you tell Mr. Mercedes (aka inconsiderate prick) how much it's going to cost that he's ok with it.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Paragon68
Yankie Yuppie

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
... I would have done a police report, pictures and insurance,...
This is the beauty of a smart phone, instant accident scene pictures
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #23
Alleycatdad
Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer: 1,406
I've had my VFR run over in my work parking lot, and a local gas station lot, and I can tell you that where I live, the PD WILL NOT respond or file a report on any accident on private property. Period. Not even when I was sitting on the bike in front of the PD car when the crazy b*tch backed over me in the gas station. Wouldn't even help me pick it up. Unless someone dies, it's tough luck for you...

Both times I had protracted fights over whether or not to total the bike, and the gas station incident is how I learned to hate Progressive, BTW. Since when is it legal to demand a signed pink before you will send someone to determine whether or not any damage has occurred? And then deny it? I still have the letter...

Anyway, good luck; you may need it. If there's any chance of witnesses, find em and get their info NOW.

Steve
Bad decisions make good stories.
Alleycatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #24
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4ce View Post
If I find someone that parks like that next to my bike, I move it right away. That way they look like an idiot. and if your lucky someone in a beater will fill that spot for you.
We have a few bad parkers like that at my work place. I also move away when they do that, partly to make them look like an idiot, and partly to protect my bike, in case they leave first, and hit me backing out (by turning too tightly).
Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #25
sparkymcgee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Thanks for all the responses!

I dropped the bike off at the dealer yesterday. I noticed the right side fairing is sitting closer to the gas tank which tells me maybe a bent mount or radiator. Guys at the shop said it could easily top $2k in repairs.

As far as the guy that did it, I know him casually from around the building. He is the one that came up and told me in person that he knocked the bike over. Apologized profusely and said he would take care of all repair costs. We walked down and he helped me pick it up. He's a professional in his 50's and has worked in the building for years. I'm not worried that he'll do the right thing. I think he's going to be shocked at how much it costs though.

What are your thoughts on this? I noticed there was some scuffing on the left side where his car pushed the bike over, but it is minor and I'm confident it can be buffed out...in fact, it mostly rubs off with my finger. Part of me thinks everything should be fixed to how it was before, but the reasonable side of me says, the bike is almost 5 years old and has 35k miles on it and its fair share of wear and tear. Maybe I'll just let the dealer determine that. I try to be fair and reasonable in life and so far, it's worked out well for me.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunghole View Post

I dropped the bike off at the dealer yesterday. I noticed the right side fairing is sitting closer to the gas tank which tells me maybe a bent mount or radiator. Guys at the shop said it could easily top $2k in repairs.

As far as the guy that did it, I know him casually from around the building. He is the one that came up and told me in person that he knocked the bike over. Apologized profusely and said he would take care of all repair costs. We walked down and he helped me pick it up. He's a professional in his 50's and has worked in the building for years. I'm not worried that he'll do the right thing. I think he's going to be shocked at how much it costs though.

What are your thoughts on this? I noticed there was some scuffing on the left side where his car pushed the bike over, but it is minor and I'm confident it can be buffed out...in fact, it mostly rubs off with my finger. Part of me thinks everything should be fixed to how it was before, but the reasonable side of me says, the bike is almost 5 years old and has 35k miles on it and its fair share of wear and tear. Maybe I'll just let the dealer determine that. I try to be fair and reasonable in life and so far, it's worked out well for me.
Get the full dealer quote first and then start looking at options for fixing it cheaper it makes you both sleep better at night.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #27
hyena
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:

I deal with fraud on a daily basis, and your sense of fairness is admirable. I would just expect it to be put back to the condition it was in before he knocked it over. By the dealer, not by you.

And I would have called the police as well. Just for the record. Although around here, the police may well have been drunk when they showed up, if they showed up at all, and who knows what the report would look like.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleycatdad View Post
I've had my VFR run over in my work parking lot, and a local gas station lot, and I can tell you that where I live, the PD WILL NOT respond or file a report on any accident on private property. Period. Not even when I was sitting on the bike in front of the PD car when the crazy b*tch backed over me in the gas station. Wouldn't even help me pick it up. Unless someone dies, it's tough luck for you...

Both times I had protracted fights over whether or not to total the bike, and the gas station incident is how I learned to hate Progressive, BTW. Since when is it legal to demand a signed pink before you will send someone to determine whether or not any damage has occurred? And then deny it? I still have the letter...

Anyway, good luck; you may need it. If there's any chance of witnesses, find em and get their info NOW.

Steve
This is the time when you call your council man and bitch loudly on the phone. Mayor too. You usually get the report. If not then write a public mind or what ever they call it in the local paper.

It is kind of their job.
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
ML WYDELL
NED

Oddometer: 462
Sorry to hear about your bike, hopefully the guy will have the integrity to roger up. Currently dealing with a similiar situation. Give someone authority or money and their true character will appear. More times than not the outcome will be disappointment.
ML WYDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #30
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
I'm fuming a little right now. There is a guy that works in my building that always parks right next to my bike so that his Mercedes doesn't get scratched. And he always parks crooked and over the line. He just ran into my '08 VFR and knocked it over on it's right side.

-Damage to front and rear plastic
-Damage to mirror
-Damage to peg
-Throttlemeister (scratched up) is jammed against throttle making it not close by itself.
-Damage to right engine cover.
-Damage to left side where his car hit it.

I'm sure there's more damage, but I haven't had time to really check it out. Should I just have the dealer do the repairs, or should I find a body shop for the plastic? I've never dropped this bike and I love it and I'm pissed.

Any suggestions or things I should be aware of? He mentioned that he can't imagine the repairs would cost more than his deductible. I'm afraid he's in for a very rude awakening.
Oh he is in for a rude awaking.. take it to the dealer and insist everything that was damaged is replaced. Sounds like about 3-4K with the engine cover and all the plastic.
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote