ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Best Bike for Me #420

Currently riding (selling) my 2012 Tiger 800XC, an amazing hooliganesqe bike but too heavy and big for what I want to do. I'm sure I'm no different than everyone here in thinking I wish I could have 5 bikes, pretty sure that'd cover it. Yep, 6 bikes would be all anyone would ever need, though lots of people think 7 is a lucky number, but I digress.

Currently the bike that is filling the top spot for "best bike for Dave" is the WR250R. I really like the looks of some of the lower displacement bikes from Husaberg & Husqvarna, but there's not a lot of info about their longevity or maintenance while on a LONG trip.

OK - so that's where I'm at now. So I'm seeking some input, maybe I've missed something in the 100s of threads & reviews I've read and someone here can clue me in.

What I want is a bike that will spend a lot of time on:

* Rocky Mountain back roads generally and Utah ones specifically. For this I don't need a desert screamer, I want a bike that will get me there and back safely, is reasonably light-weight, and I'll be able to manage 99% of any field repair necessary. This riding will probably be a large majority of what the bike will encounter; slab for 4 hours to the Henry Mountains then off to the Southern Notom road for some exploration, desert and alpine.

* Cross country rides. One thing I've been wanting to do is head South, then East along the coast eventually getting to the Keys. While I'm out that way, I might as well come back via the TAT. Long distance, fire roads, and trails camping as much as possible. This riding would probably be next in time spent; say 2 long rides a year, could be Baja, could be Newfoundland.

* Lastly would be a LONG trip, say All the Way Down. I should be able to pull off Central America at least next fall.

I realize no bike is perfect for all of these things, but there has to be a pretty short list of bikes that are close. I really can't afford more than one, so I want one that will do most of it very well. I'd say my Tiger would be excellent for options 2 & 3, but for me not option one. Right now the WR250 has a LOT of this covered, plus its inexpensive to get into, and there is SO much technical info and bolt-ons, it is the odds on favorite.

Thanks for looking.

P.S. I'm really liking the 2009 BMW G650 X-Country for this also, as it's only 30 pounds heavier than the WR250 its my 2nd choice. Though I'm not sure if I'd like it on trails around here.

UtahFox screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 05:23 PM
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Zecatfish
XTique Rider
 
Zecatfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Arkansas USA
Oddometer: 7,922
Why not the new Husky Rotax powered 650?
It fits in the weight range, and the price seems reasonable at $5999 I think it was.
__________________
Google Earth GPS Howto (still a work in progress) use USGS TOPO Maps to layout trails.
http://home.windstream.net/catfish/GPS


The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer
 
byron555's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Central Wisconsin
Oddometer: 1,093
WR250r

I have one. Went from an XR650l.... The WRr is the best bike I have ever had. I commute, run single track, fire roads and even had it on a supercross track. 7000 miles during my first season of ownership. that equals the last 3 seasons combined for my farkled XRL.

__________________
Another inmate stole my Avatar...
WR250R... 15 cubic inches of raw power.
WRr re-build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish View Post
Why not the new Husky Rotax powered 650?
It fits in the weight range, and the price seems reasonable at $5999 I think it was.
Good point. I guess I'm dismissing them because it doesn't seem much different than my Tiger. If I got the WR250, there's a really really good chance that I'm going to be lowering it. I want to be able to bomb through anything and be able to get my feet down if I have to. Nice thing about the WRR in this case is if I become a lot more accomplished in dirt, I can always get rid of the link and go back to stock height.

So I guess in answer I'd say, how tall is it / how tall does it feel (looks like a BIG bike to me, I already have a big bike), and how heavy is it? Can it be lowered?
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
I have one. Went from an XR650l.... The WRr is the best bike I have ever had. I commute, run single track, fire roads and even had it on a supercross track. 7000 miles during my first season of ownership. that equals the last 3 seasons combined for my farkled XRL.
I'm 90% there with you - the only thing that is making me think is the weight, it's only 30 pounds lighter than 3 of the bikes on the Sibersky Extreme Russian trip. The X-Country looks really capable on dirt, and would out do the WRR on pavement - I think :)
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rickcj7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Hollidaysburg PA
Oddometer: 448
If you weigh 420 a 250 won't be enough power, get 1 of the 650s.
__________________
Husqvarna TE630

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Oddometer: 2,684
>"The WRr is the best bike I have ever had. I commute, run single track, fire roads and even had it on a supercross track. 7000 miles during my first season of ownership."

"The WR250R is the best bike I have ever had" I agree.

I have put on 12,000 miles in first year. I have 6 other bikes (!), but if I had to have just 1 bike, it would be the WR250R. Yamaha has the handling right on this bike... kind of like a KTM but without the maintenance.

I have really short legs (28"). You can lower the back of the bike 1" (with factory suspension), lower the forks about 1/2" in the triple clamps, and get a seat concepts low-rise seat. You should touch just fine then, unless you're really small.

>"would out do the WRR on pavement - I think :)"

The 250 doesn't blow by people on uphills, but if you time your passing runs right, you can leave most cars in the dust on Hwy 299 and 36.

IMHO: It is more fun to ride a 250 fast than a big bike slow.
__________________
"I don't really know, I've been too busy falling down."
TwilightZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
It sounds like for the needs you've listed, your WR250R would be best. No joke...6 speed, bulletproof 100k mile motor, relatively modern suspension, comfortable for a thumper...you already have the bike you need.

It sounds like since you're planning on selling the Tiger, you just WANT a new bike to replace it. How about you take the sale profit and use that to save up for your longer trips and/or farkle the WR to your hearts desire (touring seat, big gas tank, GPS, etc.)? Or better yet in my opinion, keep the Tiger! I'd be afraid that if you sold the Tiger and ended up buying another single-cylinder dual sport, you'd realize how similar your WR and that other bike are. They'd both be more similar than different even if your new bike was a modern big bore thumper like a Husky Terra, 690R Enduro, etc. You may gain some comfort and will definitely gain some power with anything bigger and/or Euro. That'll be about it...but if it breaks down badly and you need a dealership, good luck with Euro service departments (particular BMW).

The Tiger is a totally different bike than your WR...if you plan accordingly you can have great rides that will bring out the best in both bikes and minimize the times you find you and your chosen steed out of place. If you get another bike similar enough to your WR, you may end up realizing that you could take either bike on any of your rides and that it's kind of pointless (expensive) to have both bikes. Sure the bigger dual sport thumper will be better on the highway and maybe more comfortable than your WR, but it will be worse on the tighter stuff. The opposite is true of your WR...so in the end both bikes are have some disadvantages that you can't avoid at times but are more or less the same bike relatively speaking. At least a bigger dual sport would make up for it's offroad disadvantages by being much more comfortable and road worthy than any smaller dual sport.

If I were you and had to sell the Tiger but didn't want a different multi-cylinder dual sport, I'd get a dedicated but soulful and fun street bike (990 SMT, Street Triple, Hypermotard, etc.). The thing about your WR250R and Tiger is that between the two you can pretty much tackle ANY offroad adventure...of course you could do it ALL on your WR but the Tiger obviously shines at high-speed, long-distance, and comfort with great offroad ability for a such a street capable bike which is why I'd keep it along with the WR. Also the new Tigers seem to be spiting their European origins by proving to be reliable, durable, and easy to maintain machines for a modern multi-cylinder bike.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
What I want is a bike that will spend a lot of time on:

* Rocky Mountain back roads generally and Utah ones specifically. For this I don't need a desert screamer, I want a bike that will get me there and back safely, is reasonably light-weight, and I'll be able to manage 99% of any field repair necessary. This riding will probably be a large majority of what the bike will encounter; slab for 4 hours to the Henry Mountains then off to the Southern Notom road for some exploration, desert and alpine.

* Cross country rides. One thing I've been wanting to do is head South, then East along the coast eventually getting to the Keys. While I'm out that way, I might as well come back via the TAT. Long distance, fire roads, and trails camping as much as possible. This riding would probably be next in time spent; say 2 long rides a year, could be Baja, could be Newfoundland.

* Lastly would be a LONG trip, say All the Way Down. I should be able to pull off Central America at least next fall.

I realize no bike is perfect for all of these things, but there has to be a pretty short list of bikes that are close. I really can't afford more than one, so I want one that will do most of it very well. I'd say my Tiger would be excellent for options 2 & 3, but for me not option one. Right now the WR250 has a LOT of this covered, plus its inexpensive to get into, and there is SO much technical info and bolt-ons, it is the odds on favorite.

Thanks for looking.

P.S. I'm really liking the 2009 BMW G650 X-Country for this also, as it's only 30 pounds heavier than the WR250 its my 2nd choice. Though I'm not sure if I'd like it on trails around here.
Are YOU 420#, or are you looking for a bike lighter than 420#? If YOU are 420#, I'd think you'd want a bike with some torque. If this is the case, the WR250R aint it.

If you're fairly strong and 200lb or more, but don't have a long inseam (32"+), the DR650SE fits what you describe pretty well. It's simpler than a WR250R or G650. It's inexpensive. It's pretty reliable if you do the simple fixes. The aftermarket is great. It responds well to intelligent mods. It's an agricultural packmule, with a budding hint of hooligan.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
what broke now
Petroleum Brother
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: seattle
Oddometer: 1,149
I'm betting he is making a joke , "thread #420 about which bike is best for...."
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
Myfuture_yourdebt
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
I'm betting he is making a joke , "thread #420 about which bike is best for...."
I came to this conclusion as well after my immediate reaction to the number 420 which made no sense in this context.
Myfuture_yourdebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: redmond wa
Oddometer: 538
Oh, is that why he rides to CO so much...? ��
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #13
kateean2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Oddometer: 21
It sounds like for the needs you've listed, your WR250R would be best.

kateean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcj7 View Post
If you weigh 420 a 250 won't be enough power, get 1 of the 650s.
I'm 5'9" and weigh a buck fifty, so a smaller bike is definitely in the mix.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #15
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
I'm betting he is making a joke , "thread #420 about which bike is best for...."
Sorry, yes I was trying to be clever about being the 420th person with this dam subject again.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014