User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
mup OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Vstrom - Tenere - Explorer

I think it is safe to say the Tenere is better than the Vee off road, and the Explorer is better than the Vee on the road, but what are the reverse results?

Can anyone give an experienced on-road comparison between the Vee and Tenere?

Can anyone give an experienced off-road comparison between the Vee and Explorer?

mup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,823
Keep in mind DL1000 hasn't really changed in a decade. Others cost more, and can do more off-road, though it's relative, cos they're all very heavy. Also can't get ABS for the current DL1000, but otherwise it's a good touring bike for changing road conditions, and engine goes on forever, if maintained properly.

Maybe it'll be a more valid comparison next year with the new DL1000?
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Can't speak for the other two ,but the Tenere eats up the miles on the highway just fine. I've done a few 500+ mile days and It can cruise 80+ all day long. Only thing it lacks is cruise control , but that is easily solved with a throttle lock.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
ArmyMedic
Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer: 488
Haven't ridden the Explorer but owned a Vstrom 1000 and now a Tenere. I'll take my Tenere all day long. Vstrom feels very big and has the worst wind dynamics of any bike I have ever ridden. Scary as hell in crosswinds. Helmet buffeting is horrible too. Tenere works great in all situations.

RecoveryThreads.com
ArmyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,404
I came off a Vee as well to a Tenere. Had a Vee for 8 years. Just adapted to it's
weak spots and enjoyed it. Along comes the Tenere and made me realize what I
had been missing. It trumps the Vee in every catagory but price. And even then
it's worth every penny. Off road it's actually fun.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,084
Like Pluric says (damn I hate to say that...) no question about which I'd choose. I had a DL1000 for 7 yrs, spent thousands of dollars to sort it out and was pretty happy with it but in terms of comfort, wind management and off-road prowess it falls FAR short of the Tenere even after the upgrades.
Lots of 7-800 mile days of both...Tenere much more comfortable, stable.....winner, Tenere.
Dirt roads on both...Strom twitchy, unstable and often scary. Tenere planted, stable, goes were you point it. ABS works GREAT off road....winner, Tenere.
Ease of maintenance...winner, Tenere.
Two up...my SO loves the Tenere's perch were the Strom had her squirming.
Handling two up about the same (Heavily modified Strom...brakes/suspension)...winner, Tenere.
Juice for lights, heated grips/gear. Tenere more than doubles the Stroms output...winner, Tenere.
Cost...VStrom

The only place the modified Strom shined compared to the Tenere was a series of real tight curves. Faster corner transition on the Strom mostly based on steering geometry...
Off road the thing always felt like it wanted to nap....and often did...

Great bike but progress does indeed march on.

The Triumph looks great. It would have been on my short list had it been available. Having not ridden one I can make no comparison. The lack of dealers might have been an issue but probably not.

Then...

...and now

...packing light is my forte....

BTW, the road seen on the Tenere pic (Valley of the Gods) was ridden with both bikes at different times. Scary on the Strom, fun and fast on the Tenere...both loaded to obscene levels....

DaFoole screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 09:34 AM
DaFoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post

...packing light is my forte....

BTW, the road seen on the Tenere pic (Valley of the Gods) was ridden with both bikes at different times. Scary on the Strom, fun and fast on the Tenere...both loaded to obscene levels....
I'm surprised. I thought chiffon packed down better than that.

Peter Marshall: Paul, why do Hell's Angels wear leather?
Paul Lynde: Because chiffon wrinkles too easily.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #8
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm surprised. I thought chiffon packed down better than that.

Peter Marshall: Paul, why do Hell's Angels wear leather?
Paul Lynde: Because chiffon wrinkles too easily.
Different color outfits you idiot!

Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Different color outfits you idiot!

Good point. I try to be understanding to the needs of you Raven Riders and I sometimes
forget what it takes to back up certain lifestyle choices. Sorry. I can only imagine what
even a few extra hats must add to your packing plans.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
M Singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyMedic View Post
Haven't ridden the Explorer but owned a Vstrom 1000 and now a Tenere. I'll take my Tenere all day long. Vstrom feels very big and has the worst wind dynamics of any bike I have ever ridden. Scary as hell in crosswinds. Helmet buffeting is horrible too. Tenere works great in all situations.
All of that goes double for me!
M Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #11
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
The possible vstrom 1000 remake coming out soon could be interesting
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
mup OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for the replies so far. I keep thinking I need to upgrade, but I don't want to give up the power of Vee. If I understand you all correctly, the Tenere doesn't give up any power to the Vee (clutch mod notwithstanding). I really want to like the Explorer, but don't want to get anymore incompetent in the dirt. And, with the small amount of dirt I do ride, I certainly don't want to go down in power. It seems the overall cost of ownership is less on the Tenere, too. Anyone want to chime in on the Explorer argument?
mup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by mup View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I keep thinking I need to upgrade, but I don't want to give up the power of Vee. If I understand you all correctly, the Tenere doesn't give up any power to the Vee (clutch mod notwithstanding). I really want to like the Explorer, but don't want to get anymore incompetent in the dirt. And, with the small amount of dirt I do ride, I certainly don't want to go down in power. It seems the overall cost of ownership is less on the Tenere, too. Anyone want to chime in on the Explorer argument?
The motor on the Explorer is far superior to the other two bikes. I havent ridden an Explorer off road so I can't speak to that. I would question the cost of ownership vs. the other two as well. I believe all 3 bikes are very reliable and Triumph does not follow BMW's path when it comes to parts and service pricing. As with any decision, ride all three in stock form and you should be able to sort it out in short order.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,885
Explorer!

Is very top heavy. Good street bike though with lots of 135hp. Not very good in the dirt compared to the Tenere.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #15
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
The motor on the Explorer is far superior to the other two bikes.
Triumph did the right thing with the Explorer by making it pretty much what the buyers of large dual sports want. A street bike. Triumph knows that most of these bikes are being used for pavement touring, so they gave the Explorer the best engine in the class for what the bike will be used for. That engine is miles ahead of the S10 and the Vee-strom engines.

The fact that the Explorer is really bad off pavement will not mean much to buyers of the large dualsports sadly. That engine though will bring Vee-Strom buyers to Triumph if they can afford it and people considering a S10 if they are not pretending about how much off pavement riding they really do.