Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #16
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,790
My new bmw lifters are not hard chrome plated.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:01 AM   #17
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
My new bmw lifters are not hard chrome plated.
They never were.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
They never were.
You sure about that? I always assumed they were due to the fact that the faces don't ever corrode to speak of and when they fail it's usually the face flaking.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #19
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,611
As Disston said, Cycleworks regrinds lifters. Vech (Benchmark Works) does. We might wantot check with these companies and find out the details of this service.

On my bike, I typically replace a lifter or two every or every other time I remove a cylinder. "Removal" is for pushrod tube seals or for top end work. Not that often. Replacement is when I see any galling of the face. In 190K I've replaced all four lifters, which works out to an average of 50K/lifter, which is an acceptable service life with me. I hate plunking down $60 per lifter, but I look at them as maintenance parts and this cost is part of the game.

--Bill
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #20
ME 109 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,993
I have 257,000 kilometres on my original lifters and thought that lifters from a <100,000 k bike might be ok for a long time.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,377
I think "Hard Chrome" plating is not like the Chrome we usually think of. I don't think it is shinny. I'll try to find out some more about this.

I have seen pictures of the base of lifters flaking. I've not had them go that way on my bike but I have replaced lifters that were pitted.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #22
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
I think "Hard Chrome" plating is not like the Chrome we usually think of. I don't think it is shinny. I'll try to find out some more about this.
Hard chrome definitely is shiny. It's the same chrome you see on fork tubes, shock shafts, hydraulic rams, etc. Whether or not they use it on the lifters I'm not positive on. The fact that the lifter faces don't seem to flash rust at all like you'd expect a very hard steel alloy to do, indicates to me that they probably are, but again I can't say for sure. The fact that they aren't mirror finish doesn't mean they aren't chromed, it just means that if they are they had some sort of honing or grinding done on them after plating. The lifters (on the sides) and cams also seem to be covered in some sort of dark phosphate-like coating to prevent corrosion. Can anyone say what that is? It's almost like parkerizing. Just using some modern wear coatings on the cam and followers has the potential to eliminate the need for using oil with higher than 'normal' amounts of ZDDP which to me is kind of a cool prospect.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 03:13 PM
Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

It is that Parkerized looking stuff I'm thinking of. I have a couple of NOS lifters that have this grey coating.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
It is that Parkerized looking stuff I'm thinking of. I have a couple of NOS lifters that have this grey coating.

Some quick googling said that this phosphate coating is added to lifters to aid in break-in and helps prevent galling. It will also hold oil on the lifter during storage and keep it from corroding.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 04:40 PM
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

I've got a new camera and going to be able to put up a picture now and again. I'm hoping I can get better than this even but this looks pretty good I think for first attempts.

These are brand new, NOS. The label on the tag with these has part # 11 32 1 262 638 so they are a current part. Max lists this part for $63.41 ea. Notice the Phosphorus coating. When held base to base the convex surface is noticed but it is a very slight bend to the base. Not noticeable to the eyes.

Well I don't think this really adds much if anything to the discussion but I just had to try out my new camera and I had a couple of the lifters to photograph.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #26
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Cameras and othe rnew playtoys are always fun.

Are there any pics of your R90 online? I don't recall seeing any...

--Bill
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #27
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

So far I have put a single pic in the "Post your Airhead pics" thread. I'll try to take a few shoots of stuff I fix. Since my bike is not one of the prettier types around I'm reluctant to do Glamor shots .

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...51879&page=222

The photo of the lifter didn't come out as good as I would like. I guess I have to spend more than a hundred dollars on a camera to get much better quality.

We never did decide or find out if BMW Airhead lifters have a hard Chrome coating on the base did we?

Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #28
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Aw, that bike has... character. +1.

You don't necessarily need an expensive camera to do good photos. For photographing parts, etc, you need a camera with close-up ("macro") capabilities. You create the photo, the camer is just a tool.

Some of my best photos have been done with a Holga camera (Google for info)...

--Bill
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #29
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Is there a place on Adv Rider or somewhere else I can go and learn how to do better with my camera? I'm trying to make sense of the manual and the language is mostly gibberish. The camera is a Canon SX150 IS. I found references on the web that this camera would do good for Macro. I ended up getting it because it was only $100 at Target.

This is my best Macro foto so far I think;

That is much better than the lifter shots I took earlier. I think the main difference between the two is just lighting.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #30
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Best way to learn is to get a book on basic photography and start taking pictures. Or take an Intro Course at your ocal community college. Digital is good because you get instant results on whether th ephoto took or notm and yiu dont spend a LOT of money developing and printing your mistakes. I've been doing photography since I was a kid and it's second nature to me.

Maybe some of us can start a thread on "Airhead Photography 101" here... Benthic, are you reading??

--Bill

PS-- I have a slow I'Net connection today and I just saw your cylinder picture. It's great. Natural light (instead of flash) is always good, IMO. Keep practicing....