Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #2251
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDill View Post
I don't know. SEC teams occupy 3 of the AP top 5 rankings and half of the conference is represented in the top 25. Somebody still thinks they're pretty good.

Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee and Kentucky weren't very good this year. I think that's what Bubs must be trying to say.
Well, FL has coaching issues, Tenner is adjusting to a new system, AR is going through a MAJOR change in systems along with having it's 2nd head coach in as many years. Kentucky................ well, they play basketball at Kentucky.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #2252
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
I think you also have to consider how many college kids declare early for the draft. Fst lost 11 players to the NFL last year, how good would they have been if those kids have stayed?
Yeah, excellent point. Kinda like college basketball.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #2253
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
I think you also have to consider how many college kids declare early for the draft. Fst lost 11 players to the NFL last year, how good would they have been if those kids have stayed?
Thats true for all the top programs, not just FSU. I think thats why Boise St was so successful. Patterson could recognize guys that had enough talent to thrive in a system they were in for 4 or 5 years.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #2254
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
Thats true for all the top programs, not just FSU. I think thats why Boise St was so successful. Patterson could recognize guys that had enough talent to thrive in a system they were in for 4 or 5 years.

Successful yes but unfortunately, they never really given true contender status.

First team I've seen with perfect seasons (2006:13–0 and 2009:14–0) yet they finished no higher than 4th either year. Too bad for their kids - they could have beaten some of the teams ranked higher than them on a good day.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #2255
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
Petersons theory at BSU was if a player wasn't a true first round pick he should not leave early. It worked.

To my knowledge only 2 underclassmen left during his watch, Ryan Clady Denver OT - 1st round and ??? a D back who ended up as a free agent.
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #2256
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

Successful yes but unfortunately, they never really given true contender status.

First team I've seen with perfect seasons (2006:13–0 and 2009:14–0) yet they finished no higher than 4th either year. Too bad for their kids - they could have beaten some of the teams ranked higher than them on a good day.
Yes. And a 4-team playoff would have been great for them. But perhaps only for one game. I have a feeling that even the best of Petersen's teams would have struggled to beat two top-5 times in consecutive games.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #2257
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Yes. And a 4-team playoff would have been great for them. But perhaps only for one game. I have a feeling that even the best of Petersen's teams would have struggled to beat two top-5 times in consecutive games.
Agreed.......but it woulda been great to find out!

Boise Stae would never compete well in the larger conferences (as much as fans here would think otherwise). We can't consistantly fill a 35K stadium or win the MW.

However in a one game scenario we have held our own (and sucked as well). Glad they schedule a tough opener - kind of defines the season. If we can't beat WA then no need to worry about BCS/playoffs.

Early indications w/the Brian Harsin era point to the return to a commitment to execution (and hopefully a little old school Boise shake & bake). In reality they need to regain the chip on their shoulder (which sure helped w/the Oklahoma win.)

Just landed our first 4 star recruit. Whoopa - bright lights here!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: