Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
spike747 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Just got my new to me 950 SMR, but its DOA.

I did the unthinkable. I bought a 2007 SMR 950 from a dealership a few provinces over. The deal was fantastic so I took the chance. I dealt with the owner of the dealership and he had said he drove the bike for a week after it was traded in. I believed him.

The bike was delivered tonight and the battery was disconnected. I actually put a new battery in and nothing. No clicking noises, no speedo lights, no head lights, nothing. The bike shows no life at all. I checked the output of the starter relay and 12 volts goes in and comes out with ignition switch turned on. So I know there's battery connection to the starter. All the fuses are good and I measured 12 volts at the ignition fuse. I checked as many connections as I could too. I don't have much time to troubleshoot tonight, but I'll be all over it tomorrow.

One odd thing about this bike is the lack of information on the factory alarm. I went through my owners manual in paper and in PDF. There is absolutely no mention of these fobs or the alarm that I can find. I've done google searches and still can't find any reference to this alarm. I'm wondering if the factory alarm has locked the ECU out for safety reasons since the battery was disconnected. I've tried various button presses on both the KTM fobs I got with the bike and still no life.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I'm very mechanically inclined, but this bike is new to me. I've been reading tonnes of stuff on this forum for months so I'm somewhat familiar with this bike.

Thanks in advance.
spike747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Call the dealer you bought it from.

You're welcome.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,713
Make sure the handlebar cutoff switch is in the correct position (damhik )
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,383
Sounds like a lemon. I'll take it off your hands for, say, $1000?

+1 - Call the stealer and ask them.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
This. I think we have all clicked the kill switch into the off position without realizing it at one time or another. It is one of the first things I check when experiencing these symptoms and it usually is the case that the switch got flipped mistakenly. (Red switch on the right hand bar)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,277
Yeah, I've done that more times than I care to talk about.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
rellim_63
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I actually spent an hour on the side of the road because of this. I was looking for a tipover switch, that wasnt the problem.
rellim_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by rellim_63 View Post
I actually spent an hour on the side of the road because of this. I was looking for a tipover switch, that wasnt the problem.
+1 except on a Strom. The dash comes up with all these blinky things and error codes.

Which, when translated means "Turn the bloody kill switch to on - idiot". Took me 10 minutes of thinking of everything else to finally notice it.

But since this is about a KTM I would assume it is your free introductory course to KTM ownership.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,125
Sidestand switch, clutch interlock, kill switch, battery in backwards???
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Sidestand switch, clutch interlock, kill switch, battery in backwards???
First two would still provide lights/cluster power. The third might cause a spark or two before blowing the fuse I'd think.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
spike747 OP
Adventurer

I've tried all the above. And then some. I just can't think of a scenario where absolutely no lights on the bike would come on with the key. Nothing on the speedo comes on. I'm focusing on the alarm right now. Its KTM logoed, but must have been an add on cause its not mentioned in the owners manual. I found the owners manual for the alarm, but it still mentions lights that come on when the battery is disconnected.

The dealership I bought it from is at a loss. They had is running in their shop just before Christmas. I'm going over all the wire harenesses right now to see if something came loose during transport.

Tonight I'd like to see if power is getting to the ECU. Looks like I have to tear apart half the front end to get at it. I guess I'm getting to know the bike very well though. Good thing its winter.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Can you isolate/disconnect the alarm? I would start there, particularly if it doesn't use stock connectors. I have seen some pretty bad wiring hacks for alarms. Does the alarm require a special code if the battery is pulled?

Also, did you check battery voltage with the key on? Maybe it's a dud battery. I have a spare LiPo that should fit in the battery box if you want to try it out. Edit - I see you checked for voltage with Key on.

Sent from my Droid Tablet using Tapatalk

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron

Mr. Canoehead screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 08:38 AM
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..

Oddometer: 318
put the old battery back in
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
spike747 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Can you isolate/disconnect the alarm? I would start there, particularly if it doesn't use stock connectors. I have seen some pretty bad wiring hacks for alarms. Does the alarm require a special code if the battery is pulled?

Also, did you check battery voltage with the key on? Maybe it's a dud battery. I have a spare LiPo that should fit in the battery box if you want to try it out. Edit - I see you checked for voltage with Key on.

Sent from my Droid Tablet using Tapatalk
The alarm is a KTM branded alarm. The factory wiring harness is actually built for this alarm. Its definitely NOT a hack job. There is a huge bundle of all black wires going into a single connector on the alarm. That bundle of wires goes into the bikes main wire bundle that goes from under the seat to the front of the bike on the left side. It must have been an option that was bought with the bike from new. I'm certain KTM pre-wired the bike for the alarm for anyone who wanted to add it later. I've pulled the alarm off completely and it still has no life. There are a few things to try in the alarm manual if you disconnect the battery, but they all assume you are getting an LED lit up on the speedo which I don't have.

The bike did not come with a battery. The manager of the bike shop I bought it from never instructed his service guys to pull the battery so he's not sure why it was pulled. However, I bought a new battery at the bike show over the weekend just in case the 950's battery was poor. I bought a Shorai. Its fully charged with a resting voltage of about 14 volts. I'm pretty confident in the battery working OK, but I guess I could pull my FJR battery out and try it also. But 12 volts is 12 volts. Shouldn't matter where it comes from.

I've traced the voltages to various areas.
- 14 volts at output of starter relay (with key on)
- 14 volts at ignition fuse output (with key on)
- 14 volts at regulator (with or without key)
- Good resistance measurement between battery negative post and regulator negative wire (less then an ohm)

Tonight I need to see if power is getting to the ECU. I've been focusing on the alarm, but unless someone tells me different I gotta believe that turning the key on should do something on the speedo. Even if the bike doesn't start, I would think there should be some life on the speedo. Its gotta be a loose connection that happened during transport.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

The thing that makes no sense to me is that the ECU controls the dash, etc but not the lights on most bikes; I'm not a KTM expert (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night). If the lights don't come on when you turn the key, I'd be looking at the main relay, main ground or the ignition switch. Do you have a powerlet on the dash that you can check to determine whether power is getting there?