User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Fast Idle OP
Since the Sixties

Oddometer: 275
D2D- Dogs to Dawson

Has anyone brought their K9 friends to Dawson recently? Are there any issues, hassles or other important things to know? Are there any prohibited breeds? I've read lots of info on Canadian web sites but nothing speaks like first hand knowledge. I would really appreciate any helpful info/ experiences. We are looking to take our 9 year old Rottweiler to D2D this summer.
1970 Honda SL100
- Survivor
Riding as much as my old frame will allow!
Fast Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
Farmholio
Wobbling weeble

Oddometer: 118
Gringo dogs in Canada

I've not dragged them to Dawson yet but moved this last summer from Calgary to Haines. To get them into Canada at the border crossings, you're required to have a health certificate for each dog. Your vet can give you this, it is usually a one page summary of their vaccination history and the like. I also seem to recall that the certificate you get has a lifespan of something in the neighborhood of 30 days. The reason I remember this is that we often drive up to BC from Haines to ski or hike (and bring our dogs) and its actually not very easy to get health certificates here since we have no active vet in residence. They've let me slide several times before at the Haines crossing, more than likely because of this, but they may or may not do the same where you may be entering (Beaver?).

I'm pretty sure if you called whichever crossing you'll use, they could clear anything up. It would be a mess for them to spin you around for something seemingly not that big a deal.

With respect to specific breeds, I'm not aware of any prohibitions that would be Canada-wide. I lived in Calgary for a year and a half and if there are any restrictions, it would more than likely be city/municipality specific. I would also expect it to be for say, Vancouver or Toronto rather than Dawson. The part of Canada you're asking about is the more free spirited part, sort of like Alaska, and I'd be surprised if much was prohibited there.

So I have to ask, you going to get them there in a hack?
Farmholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #3
akrider
mild adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
Very interesting

What type of bike does your Rottweller ride?

Ignoranus-def: someone who is stupid and an asshole.
akrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Fast Idle OP
Since the Sixties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmholio View Post
I've not dragged them to Dawson yet but moved this last summer from Calgary to Haines. To get them into Canada at the border crossings, you're required to have a health certificate for each dog. Your vet can give you this, it is usually a one page summary of their vaccination history and the like. I also seem to recall that the certificate you get has a lifespan of something in the neighborhood of 30 days. The reason I remember this is that we often drive up to BC from Haines to ski or hike (and bring our dogs) and its actually not very easy to get health certificates here since we have no active vet in residence. They've let me slide several times before at the Haines crossing, more than likely because of this, but they may or may not do the same where you may be entering (Beaver?).

I'm pretty sure if you called whichever crossing you'll use, they could clear anything up. It would be a mess for them to spin you around for something seemingly not that big a deal.

With respect to specific breeds, I'm not aware of any prohibitions that would be Canada-wide. I lived in Calgary for a year and a half and if there are any restrictions, it would more than likely be city/municipality specific. I would also expect it to be for say, Vancouver or Toronto rather than Dawson. The part of Canada you're asking about is the more free spirited part, sort of like Alaska, and I'd be surprised if much was prohibited there.

So I have to ask, you going to get them there in a hack?
Thanks for the info, sounds like it should be no problem. Just don't want any surprise's at the border or in town. It's a no on the hack. There's a group of us going so the dogs will be in the Adventure Van or motor-home.
1970 Honda SL100
- Survivor
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
Fast Idle OP
Since the Sixties

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrider View Post
What type of bike does your Rottweller ride?
I admit she's too big for the bike but she wants to ride on it, she rides every thing she can get her dog on paws on. And she gets rowdy when given a bottle of Canadian whiskey.

1970 Honda SL100
- Survivor
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
DZSO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Bring on the Dogs...

See the D2D 2012 picture and to the right of the open doors, Border Collie - Ace!

http://prints.jimkohl.com/Events/Dus...7405&k=8pTK9Qs

Just what has been said as for paperwork requirements, no issues at the boarder (collie) for us.

DZSO-

DZSO
DZSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
Fast Idle OP
Since the Sixties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSO View Post
See the D2D 2012 picture and to the right of the open doors, Border Collie - Ace!

http://prints.jimkohl.com/Events/Dus...7405&k=8pTK9Qs

Just what has been said as for paperwork requirements, no issues at the boarder (collie) for us.

DZSO-
Good to hear. Thanks. I've looked for Ace but can't find him in the picture. Sure it's not Waldo?
1970 Honda SL100
- Survivor
Old 01-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
DZSO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
Ace is there!

Open up a large version of the D2D 2012 picture from the link.
Look at the center of the double doors of the hotel, come straight down to the yellow bike, trace to the right for seven or eight bikes. Ace is being held by my son in the blue shirt next to my gray/black KTM 990 Adventure.
Yeah, I am getting old to...

DZSO
DZSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Fast Idle OP
Since the Sixties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSO View Post
Open up a large version of the D2D 2012 picture from the link.
Look at the center of the double doors of the hotel, come straight down to the yellow bike, trace to the right for seven or eight bikes. Ace is being held by my son in the blue shirt next to my gray/black KTM 990 Adventure.
Yeah, I am getting old to...
Yep, got him now. Thanks for the assist. Spotted him in this photo too.

Kind of camo'd if your not really looking for a dog. Hope to see more dogs to Dawson this summer!
1970 Honda SL100
- Survivor