ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Actually, the battery life on the current crop of BT headsets is quite good. I've got a Sena SMH10 and an Interphone F5 and both will go a full day on a charge while constantly streaming music.
Glad to hear that. My past experience with battery powered things has been that on multi-day trips where camping is involved, it is just too much of a PIA to keep batteries charged, rotated, etc. All my gizmos are powered off the bike now, and that simplifies life by removing a layer of tracking and maintenance activity that I don't miss at all. I applaud those who manage and don't mind, but I'm not going "there" again.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #17
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,131
I wouldn't get it based purely on the poor screen resolution. My last trail GPS was a Delorme PN-40SE, and (besides the fact that it's a total POS), the screen size was so small that it's unusuable unless you're totally stopped. And even then, you just can't see enough detail for it to be useful.

If you already have a Zumo on your bike, I think the best addition is an iPad Mini or a 7" Android table (which is quite a bit cheaper), either with the max available storage. Then look up the Trimble Outdoors My Topo Navigator app. There you have access to some very nice detailed vector maps, and also rasterized USGS topographical maps (both 1:100k and 1:24k resolution), which can be downloaded and stored for offline use. The smaller tablets fit into the map pocket of most tank bags.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320 For Sale!
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Glad to hear that. My past experience with battery powered things has been that on multi-day trips where camping is involved, it is just too much of a PIA to keep batteries charged, rotated, etc. All my gizmos are powered off the bike now, and that simplifies life by removing a layer of tracking and maintenance activity that I don't miss at all. I applaud those who manage and don't mind, but I'm not going "there" again.
On multi-day trips, I just plug in my phone and headset before I go to sleep for the night, they're both fully charged in the AM. Takes all of 10 seconds to plug or disconnect, I'd hardly call it a maintenance activity. Not like I haven't done this same thing everyday of my life since owning a cell phone.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
On multi-day trips, I just plug in my phone and headset before I go to sleep for the night, they're both fully charged in the AM. Takes all of 10 seconds to plug or disconnect, I'd hardly call it a maintenance activity. Not like I haven't done this same thing everyday of my life since owning a cell phone.
And when the campground does not have electricity, or there happens to be a lot going on and one forgets, or the heat really kills batteries quickly, then hopefully the second battery is still ok, let's see, when was the last time it was charged, hmm, been a while I guess, maybe I can make it half a day on that partial charge, meanwhile charging the other battery off of the bike as I ride, hoping it will get up to full charge before this one dies, hell, did I not get the charging plug in all the way? Crap. Yeah, no worries.

But really, like I said above, your mileage may vary, and if you're ok with batteries, then I wish you all the best of luck in the world with them.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
And when the campground does not have electricity, or there happens to be a lot going on and one forgets, or the heat really kills batteries quickly, then hopefully the second battery is still ok, let's see, when was the last time it was charged, hmm, been a while I guess, maybe I can make it half a day on that partial charge, meanwhile charging the other battery off of the bike as I ride, hoping it will get up to full charge before this one dies, hell, did I not get the charging plug in all the way? Crap. Yeah, no worries.

But really, like I said above, your mileage may vary, and if you're ok with batteries, then I wish you all the best of luck in the world with them.

Setting yourself up for failure?

Two Words:

Solar. Panel.

atlas cached screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 02:30 PM
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #21
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
Setting yourself up for failure?

Two Words:

Solar. Panel.

It always rains on me.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:

Uhhh, all my street legal bikes have this fancy thing called a battery. It's an amazing little device that can actually charge things like phones and comm units. And they've never failed to completely charge overnight.

Somehow as forgetful as I am, even I usually remember to plug my phone in, and if I can remember that, I can usually remember to plug in my headset as well when I'm on a trip.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,357
Quote:
Uhhh, all my street legal bikes have this fancy thing called a battery. It's an amazing little device that can actually charge things like phones and comm units. And they've never failed to completely charge overnight.

Somehow as forgetful as I am, even I usually remember to plug my phone in, and if I can remember that, I can usually remember to plug in my headset as well when I'm on a trip.
We tend to charge our phones while riding, during the day, so they're ready with music or whatever when we retire for the night. But our Scala intercoms charge overnight, every second day.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

I've not seen anything yet to indicate that this new model will have anything other than the mini usb for power, so no matter how many improvements they make in other ways, it still won't be enough to make me want to switch from my current handheld, the 62S.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #25
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,769
Does it matter that it comes with an AC adapter?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #26
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I've not seen anything yet to indicate that this new model will have anything other than the mini usb for power,
Sadly, at this time, that is it. :(
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #27
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Not if it plugs in via the usb connector.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #28
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
USB plugs don't work very well on a vibey platform like a motorcycle. That being said, I'm just fine with my old 76 being run off batteries. Looks like the Oregon can go a couple days on a fully charged set. In a pinch you can alway buy a set at any gas station if you run it down.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #29
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not if it plugs in via the usb connector.
Exactly.

My evaluation unit did not come with a Garmin USB cable, but I have many of those already from all the other Garmin GPSr I own.

I am not impressed with the USB port on the new Oregon 6x0. It is very shallow, and all of my USB cables bottom out before they are fully inserted, leaving the cable slightly loose and wobbly.

I wonder if the final shipped units will have a special USB cable?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #30
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
I wonder if the final shipped units will have a special USB cable?
I can't see that making any difference in the long term. If it gets power from that socket, it's doomed to fail eventually.

Surface contacts like the Montana has are the best solution, imho.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 08:44 AM