Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,763
It's a canvass type fabric so it won't stretch much, a few mm's maybe. Soak it in water. Having said that, being snug isn't a bad thing.

Don't cut it.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Well, the pouches arrived. I am a bit disappointed, as they don't fit as it looked like they would. Whoever measured them for the ad must have included straps, buckles, etc in their measurements, because a depth x 2 + width x 2 far exceeded the bottle diameter x pi.

I forced a bottle in, took several minutes of effort. You can't tell but that pouch is stretched really tightly:

I am hoping there is some give in the fabric, because otherwise, insertion is a one-time thing. I'll leave the bottle in overnight, see if it loosens up. If that doesn't work, I'll try soaking it in water (works with new boots).

I guess I could remove the pouch to fill the bottle, rather than removing the bottle from the pouch.

Other option is to cut and sew in an elastic panel. Wife could do that pretty easily, but I hope it isn't necessary, especially since elastic relaxes over time.
Well...I think that my own bottle is a 750ml because it fits better than your 1L
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 AM   #18
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Well 1 bottle in pouch is immersed in water, we'll see if that helps.

I tried the other 2 this morning, and I can report that the quality control must be pretty good, because the fit is exactly the same. I timed it, and inserting the 2 bottles upside down, which is easier than bottom side down because the necks taper, took 4 minutes. I'll leave them for the day, and then turn the bottles the correct direction.

Leaving the bottles more or less permanently in the pouches will work, but it is less convenient. Especially if I spill a bit of gasoline when filling, since it will absorb into the fabric and stink, rather than being able to just wipe dry with a paper towel.

I will ask Wifey to modify 1 pouch (I bought 1 more pouch than I had bottles, thinking it may come in handy), and see how that works out. I'll report back.

Thanks for the input & interest.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,856
There's a guy in Vendors that custom makes stuff like you want. Prices seem reasonable and everyone appears thrilled with his work.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
There's a guy in Vendors that custom makes stuff like you want. Prices seem reasonable and everyone appears thrilled with his work.
Thanks for that, I will have a look out of curiosity, but this is a tight-wad solution. Nothing custom is as cheap as this.

We made our own food barrel harness for canoe camping, and it is still working fine after 10 years. Until someone kindly posted up the Molle pouch suggestion, this was going to be a home-brew project.

If I wanted to spend $90, I'd go Rotopax, or $300, I'd get a larger gas tank. Thing is, I only occasionally feel the need for more range than the stock fuel tank provides.

I bought three 1L fuel bottles new for $4 each, and the pouches cost a little less than $8 each. So at this point, I am already invested for $35, and as it is, they will work fine. I just would prefer that the bottles were more easily removable, otherwise this is exactly what I wanted.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,154
Can I ask where you got those fuel bottles for 4$?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Can I ask where you got those fuel bottles for 4$?
Sierra Trading Post http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ I don't see any on sale there now.

They were $3.71 each, 1L Brunton brand. That was in 2010 (I looked up the receipt).

Steep and Cheap is another possible source, if you are looking.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
jon_l OP
Beastly Adventurer

Soaking in water didn't loosen them up. I may just not worry about modifying them, since they will work perfectly, other than not being (easily) removable for filling and dispensing. They look like they'll strap onto my Wolfman saddlebags or dry bag really well.