Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #46
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Just came across these for touch screens. Good idea.

http://www.advdesigns.com/fafitofrglfi.html
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #47
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,593
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
So along those lines I got a really cool gift as a birthday present this year:

You actually use the big crown on the left to roll along a map and measure distance.

Cool! So does it must have some way to set a scale first.

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #48
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Just came across these for touch screens. Good idea.

http://www.advdesigns.com/fafitofrglfi.html
That's neat. I have a pair of gloves with those built in, but they are just winter gloves. I imagine stuff like this will be included in most gloves in the future.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #49
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Cool! So does it must have some way to set a scale first.
This is called the Map Meter. When I first found these a few years ago, I did end up seeing the Mile Marker, but I couldn't find one when my wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday.

The scale is set to 1:50000 and if the map is at that level, then you read directly from the inner dial the number of kilometers. In the owner's manual, there is also the conversion chart to understand how to change it.

It's largely a gadget these days, but I think a really cool idea.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #50
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
I bought one of those map Rollie things before my trip last year. From china. You had to do a simple quick math calculation to figure it out but it was pretty neat. Now if I could only remember where I put it......I tend to use the graph thing on the side of the Caa paper maps. It tells you how many k between point a and point be and approx how long time wise.

I have a zumo mounted on the bike that I have not used once, too complicated and time consuming. I also have xm radio and never used that either. Too much fiddling when I could be riding.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #51
captwheel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I have a zumo mounted on the bike that I have not used once, too complicated and time consuming. I also have xm radio and never used that either. Too much fiddling when I could be riding.[/QUOTE]

How much do you want for them if you do not use them

Phil
captwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #52
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I have a zumo mounted on the bike that I have not used once, too complicated and time consuming. I also have xm radio and never used that either. Too much fiddling when I could be riding.
WOW! That's a new one! Man, I dunno where I'd be without a GPS- in my case it makes things SOOOO much easier.

I think where it helps in terms of trips is that due to the fact that invariably I have only a finite amount of time to get away. Prior to leaving, I create a route and load it up to the GPS. That allows me to actually more or less brainlessly go where I want to and get to focus on the beauty around me as opposed to constantly having to look at a map and determine where to go.

The same could be achieved as already noted with a high lighter and a paper map, but even then I'd have to stop to flip the map over and with the GPS all I do is start the bike. It's just personal preference. I'd like to do more navigation with paper maps, but I simply don't have the time.

Staying on topic, I got into this thread b/c I was wondering how folks navigate with a tablet and gloves since they don't work, but those finger deals look like the winner to that solution- so a new tablet may be in order as a replacement to my aging GPS...
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #53
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Why would I be constantly looking at the map? Nor do I ever use hi lighter until end of riding season when I highlight everywhere I went. I plot out the route and write it down with sharpie,then slide the paper under my map pocket. Extra RAM comes in the form of more sheets of folded paper...lol

All I need to do is glance down at my directions. But to each thier own in travelling,I have had nothing but terrible experiences with GPS and I find it limits my interaction with locals,whom I ask for directions ( when needed) ,recommendations for campgrounds,grocery stores,whatever.

I may take another stab at trying to figure out the whole xm thing that apparently works through the GPS.......or something.....if I decide to sell, it will be posted up here.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #54
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,679
Sounds like paper maps and humming are for you, enjoy .
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #55
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Why would I be constantly looking at the map? Nor do I ever use hi lighter until end of riding season when I highlight everywhere I went. I plot out the route and write it down with sharpie,then slide the paper under my map pocket. Extra RAM comes in the form of more sheets of folded paper...lol

All I need to do is glance down at my directions. But to each thier own in travelling,I have had nothing but terrible experiences with GPS and I find it limits my interaction with locals,whom I ask for directions ( when needed) ,recommendations for campgrounds,grocery stores,whatever.

I may take another stab at trying to figure out the whole xm thing that apparently works through the GPS.......or something.....if I decide to sell, it will be posted up here.
Yeah, I wasn't giving you a hard time and if it works for you, I wouldn't change. You may know your surroundings better, but I end up really relying on when to turn quite a bit. I'm also a geek and a gadget freak, so I go out of my way to understand and integrate tech into my life...

The ultimate benefit to the way you are doing it is that when all the GPS satellites fall out of the sky, you'll still be set.