ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
SplitRock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Greetings From a New Minnesota Member...

Well, after some months of lurking and learning, it's time to take the proverbial plunge. I'm Brent and I live in Duluth, Minnesota. My 2011 KLR 650 is my first motorcycle and I've put on about 8,000 miles so far. She's currently hibernating in the basement. I took the MSF Basic Rider Course and I'm all about the ATGATT. I guess I consider myself a safe and cautious rider. I regret not growing up on dirt bikes as my dirt skills are pretty minimal. I'm kind of on the lookout for an older WR250 or something similar to advance the off-road skills.

My bike has been set up for some moto-camping, and I hope to circle Lake Superior this upcoming summer. The North Shore of lake Superior has been my frequent playground for many years, whether it's climbing, skiing, hiking, or whatever. I look forward to finding many more tasty roads and trails to checkout all over the Arrowhead region. It's been fun discovering all the Arrowhead riders out there. I didn't realize there was such a strong presence of ADV Riders around here.

To that end, a special shout-out to the MN crew, especially the Northern MN crew. I feel like I found my lost tribe, and it's time to reacquaint. My job often gives me several days off at a time. I also have a lot of extra room in my home and in my big-ass garage. So I'm definitely down with the group ride, meet and greet, get-together thing. Traveling riders always welcome. So drop a line, say hello, and allow me to ingratiate myself into your beautiful little world !! Above all, I'm really psyched to learn some skills, some new routes, and meet the inmates. Peace Out, everybody !!

Brent
SplitRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
Spikehead
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 6,186
Welcome Brent!

"I was tempted by the Invisible Man, I surely was." -Propforward
Spikehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
FirstPath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,104
Welcome aboard...

As you know, this will be a great resource for answers to all your questions and what not.

Scott in Shoreview
'79 Suzuki GS550
FirstPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
SplitRock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks, gentlemen. Thanks for saying hello.

Brent
Old 01-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
arrowhead rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitRock View Post
Thanks, gentlemen. Thanks for saying hello.

Brent
Welcome to a very addicting recreation! Don't worry about the offroad skills. Id say about 40 percent of us do not have a dirt bike background. However most if not all have an adventurous spirit! look forward to meeting you soon!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
pineconeMN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
I hope to circle Lake Superior this upcoming summer. The North Shore of lake Superior has been my frequent playground for many years, whether it's climbing, skiing, hiking, or whatever.
Do it! And take as much time as you can. So much to see beyond the North Shore. There are many ride reports posted, Cannonshot has a great one from last summer that I'd highly recommend. Welcome to ADV!
pineconeMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Hi from St. Cloud. Maybe I'll see you up north this summer.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,245
Welcome .
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
...The North Shore of lake Superior has been my frequent playground for many years, whether it's climbing, skiing, hiking, or whatever. I look forward to finding many more tasty roads and trails...
So glad you posted! That KLR is a good bike for around here, as Arrowhead Rider will agree. So besides motorcycles, you ski! Downhill or "uphill"? I spend a bit of time at Lutsen ski hill in the winter, and if that's your sport, we should get together for some turns.

Keep track of the NE MN thread, because that's where many rides are organized. There is a Adv group out of Thunder Bay and we've ridden with them a few times too. Great riding north of the border too!
Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
Watch for the MN. North Shore Shindig. Bunch of good guys from your area of MN. We summer in Grand Marais and have met some of them and they are all pretty solid. They have JULY get together. Check it out.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
GSAnderson
Wandering Swede

Oddometer: 2,543
Yo.
GSAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
KTMSAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Welcome Brent!
I'm also a new guy from Duluth, not new to motorcycles, but new to adventures and this lost tribe. Definitely feel free to get a hold of me anytime you want to chit chat, and we should certainly meet up at least by the time spring comes, as I am also relatively new to the dirt and I have a new bike this year to test out. Nice to see some more locals coming out of the woodwork
KTMSAM
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
SplitRock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Folks !

Arrowhead: I've felt pretty good on the gravel and some logging roads. Blesner Lake Road was a bit on an eye opener, however. Just need time and some practice.

Pinecone: I've seen Cannonshot's RR. Very well done ! I'd like to take 6-7 days and slow it down a bit. Looks like a classic route.

Thumper: Greetings ! If you're in the northwoods, give a shout.

C-Zulu: Man, that's quite the stable ! Can I come over !!

MikeS: I'm all cross-country now. Haven't been downhill for decades. Thanks for the tip !

FotoTex: I've seen the thread and I'll keep my eyes posted again for the spring. Thanks !

GS: Greetings, Sir !

KTMSAM: mmmm...KTM You'll have to show off the new steed ! Think Spring !

Thanks folks, for the warm welcome. I'm excited for season number three and exploring many new routes.

Brent
Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,234
Howdy. Hope to meet you soon.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #15
Hueychief
FNG

Oddometer: 75
Hey Brent,
I'm down in Hutchinson, MN and get up there as often as my schedule allows. My folks are from Roseau & Warroad and my best friend grew up in Beaver Bay. His dad still lives directly across from the Sports shop there.
Looking forward to meeting up with everyone/anyone this coming season and enjoying life.
My daughter was just up there hiking around SplitRock and Gooseberry a few weeks ago taunting us with gorgeous pictures.
Jeff

Hueychief screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 06:33 AM Reason: ADHD
Hueychief is offline   Reply With Quote