User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #76
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Here is my new Fandango tank bag on a DR650 with an IMS gas tank.

The cutout on the bag base allowed me to move the tank bag up on the tank and move it over the gas cap some (Acerbis gas cap. fits all IMS tanks). You have a wide range of location to position this bag.

My previous tank bag needed to sit behind the gas cap. This caused the bag's rear edge to be angled out and up (vrs straight up & down like this bag) & thus the top rear edge was right where my crotch was. Because of this, it was in my standing space and was not good. I was constantly banging into the bag when standing.

Giant Loop's design changed all that. The gas cap cutout is deep and thus I could move the bag far enough up the tank and forward. This created the standing room I need but I moved it not so far forward that the bag interfered with the bars. My final placement was that the bars & controls barely touched the front of bag and gave me tons of standing room on the back side. Very happy!!!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 10:15 PM
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #77
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,227
Tank bag

Thanks for the Fandango info Eakins. Was wondering whether 1 would fit on my IMS XR4 tank, now i can see. Although would have to put the stock cap back on (the Tusk 1 being higher & with snorkel).
Thanks for the photos.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #78
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy View Post
Thanks for the Fandango info Eakins. Was wondering whether 1 would fit on my IMS XR4 tank, now i can see. Although would have to put the stock cap back on (the Tusk 1 being higher & with snorkel).
Thanks for the photos.
Hey Squishy,

Both Giant Loop's Fandango and Diablo Tank Bags work well with taller gas caps and vent hoses since the underside of the tanks bags are tunneled. You can see that in eakins pic when it's flipped up.

You can really see it here too:

That combined with the large harness cut out makes them fit tall fuel fill style tanks very well as shown and allows them to fit further forward too.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #79
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Siskiyou Pannier Measurements

12" Pannier front height
8" Pannier rear height
18.5" Pannier length
8" Pannier width
Lids 8.5" wide x 16" long

Mounts and Hardware spacing
LidBuckles & CamStraps 11" center
ConnectStraps 10.5" center
ConnectFlaps 15" long x 11" wide
Max inside width of Panniers 20"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minsk99 View Post
The Siskiyou look awesome! Nicely done. Is there a way of running a cable through the bags in order to lock them and secure them to the bike?
The Great Basin is the saddle bag with a cable pass through. I saw the cable in action yesterday and it is an excellent design feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
One idea for soft bags: I've used Pac-Safes on each side, with all the gear secured; then secure the cables to the frame. About as secure as you can get without going to hard bags. It does make access very slow.

Paul
The Pac-safe is an excellent product! I want to try one on the bike and see if it is an effective solution to the security question.
Slow access has been my concern, but slowing down access is always part of the security process. Anyone wishing to truly protect their bike mounted accessories will be happy to deal with some extra steps to get through their security devices and still have their stuff attached to the bike.

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 11:32 AM
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #80
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Thanks for the measurements of the GB & Siskiyou.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #81
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Getting ready to go to the Indy Dealer Expo, happening this weekend.
Any/all you industry inmates going to be there, too?
OlafofOregon and I will be manning the booth, so come on by and say Hi!
I'll post a booth number, so ya know where to find us.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #82
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
2013 Dealer Expo - Booth 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Getting ready to go to the Indy Dealer Expo, happening this weekend.
Any/all you industry inmates going to be there, too?
OlafofOregon and I will be manning the booth, so come on by and say Hi!
I'll post a booth number, so ya know where to find us.
ADV Riders get a free GL t-shirt at our Dealer Expo booth #847 - come by and say hello!
Old 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #83
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

2013 Great Basin System - Weights

An Aussie customer intent on slimming down his kit recently emailed asking what the Great Basin Saddlebag and optional components weigh. Here's the reply:

The weight of our products is of almost no consequence in relation to the weight of gear packed inside - our Great Basin Saddlebag system with all of the components is about 40 lbs (18+ kg) lighter than a typical luggage rack and hard panniers set up.

2012 Great Basin Saddlebag (including 5 Stuff Sacks, 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield) weighs 7 lbs. (3.18 kg)

Great Basin Dry Pods (set of 5) weigh 1.6 lbs (.73 kg)

Great Basin Stuff Sacks (now available separately as a set of 5 - NOT included with 2013 Great Basin Saddlebag) weigh 1.5 lbs (.68 kg)

2013 Great Basin Saddlebag (including 1 Hot Springs Heat Shield) weighs 5 lbs (2.27 kg)

Great Basin Dry Bag weighs 1 lb (.45 kg)
Old 02-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #84
Schannulleke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Great. How much does the Siskiyou package weigh?

Suggestion: put the weights and dimensions of all the products on the website.

Since it is almost 2 weeks since availability of the 2013 revision products, are there already buyers that have the new product(s) and what are their findings? Reviews please
Old 02-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #85
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Here is my new Fandango tank bag on a DR650 with an IMS gas tank.

The cutout on the bag base allowed me to move the tank bag up on the tank and move it over the gas cap some (Acerbis gas cap. fits all IMS tanks). You have a wide range of location to position this bag.

My previous tank bag needed to sit behind the gas cap. This caused the bag's rear edge to be angled out and up (vrs straight up & down like this bag) & thus the top rear edge was right where my crotch was. Because of this, it was in my standing space and was not good. I was constantly banging into the bag when standing.

Giant Loop's design changed all that. The gas cap cutout is deep and thus I could move the bag far enough up the tank and forward. This created the standing room I need but I moved it not so far forward that the bag interfered with the bars. My final placement was that the bars & controls barely touched the front of bag and gave me tons of standing room on the back side. Very happy!!!!!

Thats a nice settup,I guess the Acerbis cap needs no vent tube coming out the top?Very handy for the tank bag.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #86
buggsy458
Bad Lieutenant

Oddometer: 52
Missed opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
ADV Riders get a free GL t-shirt at our Dealer Expo booth #847 - come by and say hello!

Awe man I just saw this thread after meeting you guys today at the Indy event and spoke to you about the MOA event in Salem, OR this year. Wish I would have seen this before tonight, would have gotten a sweet shirt! Fandango tank bag is now on my wish list...looks more stout than any other tank bag on the market that I've seen thus far. Safe travels and maybe see you in Salem this July.

Paul
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #87
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Thanks for stopping by the booth! Harold and I were on the look out for ADVrider inmates and had your Tshirt sitting there for you.
Hope you can collect one at the BMWMOA rally in Salem this summer.

We had a great trip to Indy and there are going to be many new US and International GL dealers, stocking up, over the coming season.

edit to add:

Appeal to Inmates:

If any inmates have a suggestion of which local dealer in your area, you would like to see carry Giant Loop, PM me and let me know who and WHY! I am working my butt off, to see GL in the right stores across the US territories, but not every shop will have the customer service we want GL riders to receive nor will every shop understand what we offer. Help me go light and fast into your region, so that I can work with the dealership that offers the best match for our brand philosophy and product. My time will go far, if I have a little support from the Giant Loop rider/Inmates, that know what we represent.

Thanks in advance and care packages will be included, when your good info becomes a new GL dealer.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #88
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bushwackers Hand Guards

You may have seen the prototypes - now the Bushwackers Hand Guards are in production and available from GL dealers. MSRP $39.00 USD.

Here's the run down:

Droppin’ into the weather? Combine Bushwackers with rigid hand guards/deflectors and heated grips for the ultimate protection against the elements. Ride safer and longer with warm, dry and clean hands and controls.

Protect Hands - Keep Control
• Cold/wet weather comfort
• Brush, mud and trail protection
• Strap on/off in seconds
• Multiple mounting configurations to fit most motorcycle makes/models equipped with rigid hand guards and/or deflectors
• Tough stretch polyurethane strap (can be used separately)
• Custom wind foil shapes
• No stitching or pieces to fail
• When not using Bushwackers, straps have a thousand other uses: Lash water bottles, fuel, gear to tail rack. Hold flashlight in place while working in dark. And many others!
• Made in USA

INSTALLING YOUR BUSHWACKER HAND GUARDS BY GIANT LOOP
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT: Motorcycle must be equipped with rigid hand guards or deflectors to support Bushwackers while riding.

Six different strap slots on each guard provide the perfect fit on almost any motorcycle. Experiment to determine which combination works best for your bike.

Simple tension keeps Bushwackers where you want them positioned. After tightening straps, check to ensure all controls, control cables and handlebars operate properly and that hand guards and/or straps do not restrict movement or safe operation of your motorcycle.

When not needed, store Bushwackers in your hydration pack or Giant Loop bag.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #89
eakins
Butler Maps

Those are sweet!
They look very well designed for ADV riding vrs the ones designed more for street bikes. Any bigger pics of them mounted?
I really like how they can stay awash when not needed (day warms up) and you've still got to lash straps to use as needed.
The street-bike designed ones are very bulky and don't stash well.
Butler Maps website:
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #90
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Thats a nice settup,I guess the Acerbis cap needs no vent tube coming out the top?Very handy for the tank bag.
Thanks.

Yes that Acerbis cap vents from out of the key slot. Perfect match with a Fandango design. No vent tube needed, but others have said their caps w/ vent tubes still worked with the bag. The raised area of the bag is not a pressed-down-hard fit over top of the cap. There is enough extra room that the vent hose is not pinched off. Both Acerbis and IMS tank users can both use this cap. The keyed lock portion can be used or not (used like a regular cap).

It's an OEM/EPA design in that it pulls air in, but fumes do not vent out. When the bike is dumped over, gas does not leak out too.

On the DR, the plastic tank heats up from the air-cooled motor and expands the tank. It becomes rock hard because of this. This concerned me over the long term. A side benefit is this caused my tank to expand in size, like people would do with hot water and pumping a plastic tank up with air to expand its capacity.

The solution (not my idea) to alleviate this rock hard tank is to screw out the inside green piece and pierce a hole in the center 1-way rubber valve. I used a heated up sewing needle to 1st pierce it and then the smallest drill bit to enlarge the hole a tiny amount. When I blow out the bottom of the cap forcefully air now slowly leaks out and my tank is no longer rock hard. I dumped my bike over and there was maybe 1 drip of gas that came out.

Works for me and worth getting IMO for anyone with an Acerbis or IMS tank so as to ditch the vent hose plus have the ability to look if needed.

Enjoy, Bill
Butler Maps website:
Closed Thread