Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #106
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Vinyl Protective Film

Now available! Vinyl Protective Film takes the abuse - NOT your painted and plastic surfaces!

Vinyl Protective Film by Giant Loop $24.99

Protect bodywork and plastics from scuffing or marks under Giant Loop's saddlebags and tank bags with Giant Loop Vinyl Protective Film. Even a single ride can buff the shine off your gloss coat. Take a few minutes now to keep your bike looking like new.
Installs in minutes
Heavy-duty 12 mil film (used for race bike graphics)
3 sheets
12" x 14"
Made in U.S.A.

INSTALLATION TIPS
PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU BEGIN WORK! OR HAVE A LOCAL SHOP DO THE INSTALL PROFESSIONALLY!
Clean surface thoroughly to remove residue and oils. On new plastics, use brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner to remove plasticizers from surface - alcohol and household cleaners will not work.
Work in warm area with warm vinyl sheets. Use hair dryer to warm sheets if needed.
Use razor blade knife to trim sheet to shape.
In spray bottle add 1 drop liquid dish soap to 16 ounces of warm water.
Spray solution onto bike plastic/bodywork and onto both sides of vinyl sheet.
Place wet vinyl sheet onto plastic/bodywork and float into place.
Gently squeegee water and bubbles out from under vinyl sheet. Start with fingers, then use a folded piece of this header card to finish.
Wait 4-6 hours before riding to allow moisture to evaporate. Gently work out any remaining bubbles.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #107
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,694
Since it's still cold and chilly in these Colorado parts but I want to get out and ride I went for a pair of Bushwackers. I played around with different placements and loop holes and came up with final location that sits best with my guards. This it inboard a but than i thought they should, but I like the straps best in this placement.

The system is nicely adaptable and the straps are beefy. It's simple yet and effective windbreak that weighs very little. Because of their size, they are gonna provide some arm protection in addition to your hands.

I also use a Madstad screen on my DR650 for cold and wind protection so this creates a nice package for spring and fall riding. When it's warm in the summer all this comes quickly off.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #108
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
Since it's still cold and chilly in these Colorado parts but I want to get out and ride I went for a pair of Bushwackers. I played around with different placements and loop holes and came up with final location that sits best with my guards. This it inboard a but than i thought they should, but I like the straps best in this placement.

The system is nicely adaptable and the straps are beefy. It's simple yet and effective windbreak that weighs very little. Because of their size, they are gonna provide some arm protection in addition to your hands.

I also use a Madstad screen on my DR650 for cold and wind protection so this creates a nice package for spring and fall riding. When it's warm in the summer all this comes quickly off.

These have been in development in my mind for years Nice to see someone finally made them
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 03-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #109
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 987
Nice pics eakins! The BushWhackers are gonna be a hit with foul weather riders. Clearly they offer a bunch more protection and are easy to install/remove.

I was reviewing a video of a group of riders in Canada, riding a Giant Loop over the Mackenzie Trail in BC. There were a dozen riders on that bucket list ride and Kiwi Dave was one of the ring leaders. He provided us with disks full of footage and pictures of what must have been, a most memorable experience. They crossed endless dead fall, some GIANT logs among them, mud channels, river and lake crossings. They even got caught out one night after a really rough day and had to sleep in their space blankets/motogear, with no camp gear, sleeping bags or meals. I'll post more pics as I get them captured off the videos!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #110
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Nice pics eakins! The BushWhackers are gonna be a hit with foul weather riders. Clearly they offer a bunch more protection and are easy to install/remove.

I was reviewing a video of a group of riders in Canada, riding a Giant Loop over the Mackenzie Trail in BC. There were a dozen riders on that bucket list ride and Kiwi Dave was one of the ring leaders. He provided us with disks full of footage and pictures of what must have been, a most memorable experience. They crossed endless dead fall, some GIANT logs among them, mud channels, river and lake crossings. They even got caught out one night after a really rough day and had to sleep in their space blankets/motogear, with no camp gear, sleeping bags or meals. I'll post more pics as I get them captured off the videos!

Looks a real adventure. Do you know if they've posted a RR anywhere?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #111
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
No worries - I wrote that with a grin on my face! Here's the deal though: I've always been Giant Loop's pickiest customer. I used to be paid to write gear reviews - I'm super critical. I've learned a bunch about sewn goods since we started this little adventure almost five years ago. One lesson: You can't tell the quality of a textile from its "hand" (how it feels). In fact, two fabrics with the same identical specs can have total different qualities - such as tear resistance. That's why we test our materials thoroughly. Another lesson: the hand of fabrics that are otherwise identical varies slightly by color - the pigments affect the hand. So yellow has a slightly different hand than gray, for example. Weird huh?

Thanks for riding Giant Loop man - and keep asking questions. You all push us to deliver the best in the world.

The above information is very much appreciated and a good education for us material neophytes. As my friend thought they felt a lot different than previous versions, i'm guessing this is only the "hand" feel as you say. Is it correct then that the fabric has indeed changed from the earlier model but has the same specifications, therebye not giving up any of the strength, tear, and overall bombrpoof characterists we love?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #112
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Is it correct then that the fabric has indeed changed from the earlier model
No, that would be incorrect. Once again, we have not changed materials. Same materials, same tested qualities. Adventure proof. Ridden worldwide.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #113
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Siskiyou Panniers featured in Cycle World on Husqvarna TR650

Giant Loop's Siskiyou Panniers are featured in the April issue of Cycle World magazine - on a Husqvarna Terra TR650! Pick up a copy and check out the adventure bike comparison, "The Road from Armageddon to Salvation: If you had to run to the hills and into unknown territory, which bike would you take? One of these."
Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #114
bastimentos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:

Giant Loop's Siskiyou Panniers are featured in the April issue of Cycle World magazine - on a Husqvarna Terra TR650! Pick up a copy and check out the adventure bike comparison, "The Road from Armageddon to Salvation: If you had to run to the hills and into unknown territory, which bike would you take? One of these."
I actually just read that, and noted that had a bit of trouble on the TR650 with the bags melting on the exhaust? Did you have a word with them about how they got on .. maybe they set them up wrong?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #115
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastimentos View Post
I actually just read that, and noted that had a bit of trouble on the TR650 with the bags melting on the exhaust? Did you have a word with them about how they got on .. maybe they set them up wrong?
Apparently, the tiny stock heat shields on the Terra - and high exhaust temperatures are a tough combo. Dual exhaust bikes, like the Terra 650, need at least two additional Hot Springs Heat Shields. The Siskiyou Panniers include two . . . Word on the streets: 3 pair of expensive moto pants were melted on the TR's exhaust. Be sure to get the additional Heat Shields and install them so no part of the bag/straps make direct contact with the exhaust. Read and follow the installation instructions. Problem solved.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #116
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Apparently, the tiny stock heat shields on the Terra - and high exhaust temperatures are a tough combo. Dual exhaust bikes, like the Terra 650, need at least two additional Hot Springs Heat Shields. The Siskiyou Panniers include two . . . Word on the streets: 3 pair of expensive moto pants were melted on the TR's exhaust. Be sure to get the additional Heat Shields and install them so no part of the bag/straps make direct contact with the exhaust. Read and follow the installation instructions. Problem solved.
Checking my math - total of 4 shields?

Also, were the Siskiyou Panniers mounted without a pannier rack?

TIA!
Paul
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #117
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 3,946
Great bit of kit G/L ....my stuff arrived today ...very happy ...now ill let you know in a few months if i can wreak it .....
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #118
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermcr View Post
Checking my math - total of 4 shields?

Also, were the Siskiyou Panniers mounted without a pannier rack?

TIA!
Paul
Yes, at least two Hot Springs Heat Shields each side on bikes with dual exhaust - total of four, more if you need them. On most bikes, the Siskiyou Panniers will rest on the exhaust - with the Heat Shields preventing any part of the Panniers and straps from making direct contact.

Luggage racks can be left on the bike, but most adventure touring machines do not require anything more than Heat Shields and Vinyl Protective Film to prevent scuffs and scratches under luggage.

We have pics of the Siskiyous mounted on a stock display model TR650 - I'll find the link to our SmugMug gallery . . .
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #119
OlafofOregon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
Great bit of kit G/L ....my stuff arrived today ...very happy ...now ill let you know in a few months if i can wreak it .....
Looking forward to getting pics and feedback. You spur us to continually improve. Cheers!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #120
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Yes, at least two Hot Springs Heat Shields each side on bikes with dual exhaust - total of four, more if you need them. On most bikes, the Siskiyou Panniers will rest on the exhaust - with the Heat Shields preventing any part of the Panniers and straps from making direct contact.

Luggage racks can be left on the bike, but most adventure touring machines do not require anything more than Heat Shields and Vinyl Protective Film to prevent scuffs and scratches under luggage.

We have pics of the Siskiyous mounted on a stock display model TR650 - I'll find the link to our SmugMug gallery . . .
This is the Strada, but same exhaust situation. Ultra thin and rebated stock heat shields are not to be trusted... Hot Springs Heat Shields, to the rescue!

Got one of the Terra:

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 10:47 AM
Closed Thread