User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Somewhere Far Beyond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Eek My 950 left me STRANDED?

So I went to start my 06 950 S today. Started up just fine. Went in gear just fine (I have a Rekluse clutch), and then when I put a bit of throttle on.... she made a bit of a kalack-ing type sound and died. Trying to restart.... the starter just spins, no engagement, although on some attempts for a split second it seems like it's trying to engage.

So I had to have it towed...
Thank goodness for the AMA! Free towing!

Before I rip into it... what does it sound like I'm up against? What possibilities are there on this machine that I could be experiencing?

Also, I'm guessing this is a good time to do the water pump? The bike is approaching 38k and I haven't had it long... no idea when/if the water pump has been done. And should I do the starter as preventative maintenance? Is it a common failure. I've been thinking of doing a fuel pump upgrade as well.... and a side stand relocator kit.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Somewhere far beyond...
Somewhere Far Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
ginslung
It'll take.

Oddometer: 218
Sprag shot?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post17804205 (see post 17)

Mine does the same periodically so I've got an order in to Munn racing for the replacement parts. Starter motor is not a common failure item.
ginslung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Somewhere Far Beyond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginslung View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post17804205 (see post 17)

Mine does the same periodically so I've got an order in to Munn racing for the replacement parts. Starter motor is not a common failure item.
A buddy of mine who has been a mechanic for many years suggested that perhaps the sprag is shot. I'll probably start tearing into it tomorrow. If the Starter motor is not a common failure, 'haps I'll leave it alone for now.

Thanks!

I'll update.
Somewhere far beyond...
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,722
I'm thinking two problems at once. Fuel pump went out, you ran the carbs dry. Then when you tried to start it the sprag clutch showed up.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere Far Beyond View Post
Trying to restart.... the starter just spins, no engagement, although on some attempts for a split second it seems like it's trying to engage

My 06 has a slight case of the starter klack. The local dealer said he might be able to fix under warranty. Also heard that they have to go completely out (which sounds like yours) before they would cover it.

Anyone else had one done under warranty lately?
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgunn View Post
My 06 has a slight case of the starter klack. The local dealer said he might be able to fix under warranty. Also heard that they have to go completely out (which sounds like yours) before they would cover it.

Anyone else had one done under warranty lately?
Mine clacks aswell, it's been doing it since i bought it. (950s 05)
Most of the time if i don't get a clack at the initial push it's fine. If it clacks straight away i stop starting and retry.

I'm going to the dealer this week to ask if they can give or replace the parts under warranty since it was a tech bullitin.
(i have to be there for other parts anyway)
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,469
Clacking and no start = torque limiter
Whirring and no start = sprag
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Somewhere Far Beyond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the tips, guys.

The update so far is...

Stripped the bike down to the stator rotor, but I don't have proper tools to remove it to access the sprag. Waiting on a buddy for that.

In the meantime I'm going to look into getting the parts for a water pump rebuild.

I'm guessing I'll order the sprag from an LC4 to avoid having to buy the kit for the sprag, freewheel and rotor for the LC8. Spendy.
Somewhere far beyond...
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
SkismO
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Any updates on this?

Seems like I am about to start this job soon.
SkismO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Torquemada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
This doesn't help the OP in your current situation but Aprilia and Ducati also have the same design and tendency for these starter clutch symptoms and failure; Kickback on engine cutoff, crappy engagement, scary sounds, leaving you in the middle of nowhere shrugging your shoulders, etc. Hope I'm not repeating the obvious. Just want to throw some tips out here gathered from other's bad experiences.

Things you can do to preserve the sprag clutch life:
  1. Make sure the battery is in good condition. Keep on trickle charger. A weakish battery that refuses to die can kill your sprag before the battery eventually gives up.
  2. Use key switch to cutoff engine whenever possible not the emergency kill switch.
  3. Start engine while in neutral whenever possible, 1st gear at other times.
  4. Give ample time between start attempts. Don't jab at the starter button. Wait for it to spool down completely.
  5. Always press starter button with commitment.
Hope this helps.
Torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
This doesn't help the OP in your current situation but Aprilia and Ducati also have the same design and tendency for these starter clutch symptoms and failure; Kickback on engine cutoff, crappy engagement, scary sounds, leaving you in the middle of nowhere shrugging your shoulders, etc. Hope I'm not repeating the obvious. Just want to throw some tips out here gathered from other's bad experiences.

1. Make sure the battery is in good condition. Keep on trickle charger. A weakish battery that refuses to die can kill your sprag before the battery eventually gives up.
  2. Use key switch to cutoff engine whenever possible not the emergency kill switch.
  4. Give ample time between start attempts. Don't jab at the starter button. Wait for it to spool down completely.
Hope this helps.
Great advice
and if you suspect something is about to fail or sounding funny, fix it before heading way out there
If it was me, before calling a tow truck, I would try and flag someone down to give me a tug with a strap to bump start it and then ride it back home, even if it was hundreds of miles to home, if it was thousands of miles, then to a town to order parts.
But hey, that's just me
If you are unfamiliar with it, uncoordinated or accident prone the tow strap bump start can be a little tricky if not downright hilarious.
its about on the athletic level of getting up on a water ski
Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemada View Post
Hope this helps.

Just curious of your reasoning for #2.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Torquemada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Just curious of your reasoning for #2.
It really is debatable but the emergency kill switch is prone to wear compared to the key and kickstand kill switches. Key OFF kills all electric too and that's usually where I end up anyway. Also some on the Aprillia forums had overall switch gear issues back in the day where it was affecting the starter switch contacts. I've just got into the habit of avoiding it unless I absolutely couldn't.
Torquemada is offline   Reply With Quote