User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
lqgsrider OP
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 324
Shorai battery???

I'm looking to replace battery in my 04 GSA. Is the Shorai worth $206. I have heard the odyssey is a good choice. I have only used OEM batteries since I owed the bike and I have gotten 3 years with no issues. I live and ride in a lot of hot weather.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
infer66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I am using an EarthX 24C on my 2008 GSA. When I was looking to buy I found a lot of negative talk about Shorai compared to other manufacturers. There is a large thread in here in the garage section. The Earthx have balancing circuit build in and need no special charger.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...757934&page=29
infer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
infer66
Adventurer

Oh and something probably unrelated to brands of LiFePO4 is that my ABS pump choose to die the second I changed batteries.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqgsrider View Post
I'm looking to replace battery in my 04 GSA. Is the Shorai worth $206. I have heard the odyssey is a good choice. I have only used OEM batteries since I owed the bike and I have gotten 3 years with no issues. I live and ride in a lot of hot weather.
Unless you have a real problem with weight there isn't any real reason to go with anything other than a good AGM battery like the stock. I have the Shorai and it is a good battery. Not necessarily $206 good. You have to put up with the cold weather issues it has if you choose one, but IMO, it ain't no big deal. I do not see any significant changes with cranking or anything else with the Shorai. IMO most of the down side issues with LiFePO4 batteries comes from owners not doing their homework and expecting performance that just isn't there. Then again, all the frickin' battery is for is startin' the bike, why do you need some fancy battery????
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
lqgsrider OP
LQDesert Rider

Oddometer: 324
Thanks for the input
Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
bimmer5891
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
batteries

As others have said unless weight is an issue there really isnt a reason to go with the lithium ion batteries. They really are meant for race bikes and the weight savings they offer.
http://parts.crosscountrycycle.net BMW, Ducati, Triumph Parts Fiche
http://www.crosscountrycycle.net Main Website
bimmer5891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
infer66
Adventurer

LiFePo4 batteries discharge at a much slower rate than the old tech. My bike can sit in the garage for 3-4 months and still start up fine and need no charging. Plus you save a lot of weight from under the seat.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:10 AM   #8
jdmetzger
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 2,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by infer66 View Post
LiFePo4 batteries discharge at a much slower rate than the old tech. My bike can sit in the garage for 3-4 months and still start up fine and need no charging. Plus you save a lot of weight from under the seat.
I've have an AGM battery in my 1978 R80/7 for... 6 years now. At one point it sat in the garage for at least 6 months (in the dead of winter) without a charger on it and it still cranked over just fine. It's also had other periods of sitting, also with no cranking issues when I finally pulled the bike out.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,913
AGM battery technology is probably the best for road type motorcycles.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
BostonGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
I had a dual shorai lithium battery setup on a previous GSA (totaled when I was rear-ended). It was the one add-on I didn't remove before the insurance company came to pick up the bike. The batteries were also free for me, so I never considered the price.

On the new '09 GSA I went with an Odyssey PC625 (the bigger one). The only mod I had to do was swap the seat height rod with a couple of pieces of aluminum round stock from the hardware store (the battery is to tall to use the stock rod) and reroute the battery leads:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812140

It's a "press fit"...not going anywhere and because of that I didn't bother modifying the hold down bracket. This setup has seen plenty of off-road use without any problems.

I liked the dual setup. I could use either battery independently or both (in the case of cold weather). Lithium batteries require some warming up in cold weather, which is a pain in the ass if you ride all year in the Northeast like I do (turn key and run lights for a few minutes)...two batteries also solves that problem.

While I would go with the dual setup again if I was living on the road, for most riding it's overkill and a single lithium battery isn't worth the weight savings on a GS/A. The Odyssey gets my vote.
BostonGS is offline   Reply With Quote